Why are so many adults are obsessed with WDW?

Marc Davis Fan

The best of Disney theme park design is some of the highest quality design work in the world. I love architecture and design, and WDW is like a feast of it.

Also, the use of architecture and design to tell stories ("narrative placemaking") is a sub-field of design that Disney pioneered and remains the leader in.

Disney found that its most high-spending market is families with relatively young children, and thus shifted its marketing in that direction, giving people a preconceived notion that they should look at it as something made for families with young children. If you look at WDW photos from the 70s and 80s, the visitors are in large part adults without kids. I think people who are into (or emotionally moved by) great design of physical spaces are really missing out by not visiting and spending time at WDW.

JIMINYCR

It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?
Would live some views on this.

I dont buy into the "theres no value" to a Disney vacation. Prices may have increased and Disney has added costs for various services, but theres still plenty of value in return for what you pay. I'm willing to save up for and pay for the vacation I want. I can still find ways to take a Disney vacation thats exorbitant or one thats affordable if I want to do it cheaper. Other destinations are just as if not more expensive than Disney... but people love to trash Disney as a greedy, soulless, money scrounging business. The reality is that its a business that provides a service that runs on profits and losses just like any other business.
Why we go now as adults? We started out vacationing with our 8 yo son. It was a fantastic experience, providing us with memorable family times. We went back multiple times as he grew and now that hes an adult we sometimes go just as a couple and sometimes with him as an adult. As an adult I continue to go on trips because Disney offers me entertainment and wholesome experiences that I frankly dont get at other places. The CM's are the best as far as helping a guest, providing assistance and the way they perform their roles. This is very different than other employees from other vacation destinations. Very few places can compare with the variety and scope of entertaining rides, shows and events found at Disney. Disney may have started out as a family with children destination but its now just as much an adult only friendly place to come to enjoy, relax, be entertained and escape the world back home.

Goofyernmost

I received a lot of great answers, so I guess it does make sense to some.
I think that was a little passive aggressive post from that poster. The proper way to ask that question is... "Why are so many adults obsessed with WDW? Because "Why do so many adults are obsessed with WDW" is an improper sentence. Most of us understood the question and have answered your question directly. Just thought you might want to know that. I simple one word mistake that obviously has triggered an OCD reaction. :)

Club Cooloholic

I think it is different for everyone. Some like the reminder of when they were kids, some when they were with their kids. But for others, I think it's that you sort of ot what you are getting, for better or worse, with a Disney vacation. You will pretty much get a safe, fun environment, with excellent service. For all the complaining we do about all the planning, the lack of worrying about the level of service and safety plus being in an environment where your kids are pretty much both expected and welcomed everywhere makes it very appealing. At least to me. Do I go all the time, nope we do plenty of other trips..but Disney is like comfort food to me, sometimes I don't want sushi

Goofyernmost

I go because it makes me happy, that simple. Some people talk about Nostalgia, but I only visited WDW once as a child (and DL once) so it's not nostalgia for me.
It never became nostalgia with me until my first solo visit after my divorce in 2002. And that was bittersweet. It started out sad and depressing. I sat there just after MSUSA and flashed back to the times with my family, my young girls and the joy of being out of Vermont (that btw was -20 deg. F when we loaded into the car and headed south) I thought about the rides together, the fun, the laughs, the sore feet... all of what made up the experience. Years later I sat down and wrote out a day by day essay about that trip in 1983. I still remember every detail of it.

In 2002 I actually was sitting there in MK feeling sorry for myself, imagine that! I then tried to put that out of my mind and start to enjoy it like I did back then. My first, destiny directed, attraction was CoP. When we were there in 1983 the song at CoP was "Now is the best time of your life" and it truly was. The song that my 7 and 9 years old daughters sang most of the way back. Almost to the point of my wife wanting to get out and hitchhike back to Vermont. Nothing has ever surpassed that experience from then to now. However, this trip the song was changed to "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow". It immediately got me thinking that what was past, no matter how good it was, was the past. I needed to stop moping and make the rest of my life over new and only look back in small sections when it was in a positive and happy context. My girls, now in their 40's with kids of their own (a few of those are almost old enough to start making their own memories), all of us share that wonderful week 36 years ago. (well, not the grandkids) We have made many subsequent trips there. Myself alone have made 45 WDW visits, 1 DL trip and 1 Disneyland Paris to this point. I do remember and always try to recapture that feeling that I had that first time. Not to sound negative, but that is not possible. Close, but not exact. However, I have made many new memories since then.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I think that was a little passive aggressive post from that poster. The proper way to ask that question is... "Why are so many adults obsessed with WDW? Because "Why do so many adults are obsessed with WDW" is an improper sentence. Most of us understood the question and have answered your question directly. Just thought you might want to know that. I simple one word mistake that obviously has triggered an OCD reaction. :)
Thank you. I guess. :)

Joesixtoe

It may sound a bit different than the rest but.. I truly believe in the heaven that the bible talks about. So theme parks(especially disneyworld) takes me out of reality for awhile, and this escapism reminds me that heaven is my home and not to worry about temporary struggles that go on in this world. Not comparing Disney to Heaven, cause I believe Heaven will be infinitely better.

JohnD

I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

Would live some views on this.

Because many adults grew up with the WDW. I was born 1969 and my folks took me to it when it opened in 1971. Then you have grown children of those adults who also like it who take their children and so on. . .

KBLovedDisney

Well, I was for a long time because it was the only place my immediate family "acted happy". I became obsessed after that. Not too long ago though, tough circumstances took place and I am slowly losing my WDW obsession. Still love the place dearly, but I don't have to be there just for my now own family to be happy.

In other words, it's complicated.

mdcpr

Original Poster
There's so much passive aggressiveness I'm holding on to right now!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I received a lot of great answers, so I guess it does make sense to some.

For me, growing up on the Georgia coast, I cannot fathom doing anything like Rehoboth Beach, Jersey Shore, or Ocean City more than once or twice (I've done them and have moved on while I lived and worked in DC) as they had their hands in my pocket too with little to bring me back to that sea of humanity escaping concrete.

Disney collectively takes care of us once we arrive until we leave. Yes we pay for it directly, but I don't have to drive, amenities are available almost everywhere at different price points, wonderful staff, a variety of different food so I don't have to eat burgers and fries, and the attractions are plentiful.

Dreaming of Disney World

Every time I go to Disney World I am 8 years old again. I feel like a kid who is free to have fun. My favorite activity in the world is riding rides and water slides, so it's amazing to be able to do that every day for a week. I've also always loved the Disney stories, so I enjoy the Disney theming of everything. The food is good, too. I also love watching my kids experience the joy of meeting characters and riding rides. They love Disney World, and I'm so happy to give them such a great experience that they will remember forever, the way my parents did for me when I was a kid.

Smiley/OCD

It may sound a bit different than the rest but.. I truly believe in the heaven that the bible talks about. So theme parks(especially disneyworld) takes me out of reality for awhile, and this escapism reminds me that heaven is my home and not to worry about temporary struggles that go on in this world. Not comparing Disney to Heaven, cause I believe Heaven will be infinitely better.
Hopefully, we'll ALL have fastpasses, because I don't want to wait in any long lines waiting to get in there!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
.......I'm not a troll..... (proceeds to troll).
you either
A. Didn’t read
B. Didn’t Understand
Why? Because we were once kids obsessed with WDW... Or at least have fond memories of being there with family, friends, etc. Memories can include sights, sounds and smells.
I was not a “disney kid”. I liked it fine...but was a bigger fan of a lot of other things...

My love of Disney and it’s parks came from people watching and learning about the architectural/engineering processes. And the stories of the leaders...particular Roy E and Roy O.
Because we like it.
No doubt. But the suspension of “maturity” when it comes to disney can have consequences. It’s a main driver behind prices and management philosophy.
I'm honestly curious. Nothing 'trollish' about it since I've been on the board for a few months.
You are not trolling...you got trolled. It was a legitimate discussion point that affects all travelers/fans in so many ways. There was nothing inappropriate about your question/topic

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom