Why are so many adults are obsessed with WDW?

zurgandfriend

I would not say obsessed, I would call it a mild addiction. Seriously I travel a lot and always worry about flights, accommodations, parking, traffic (even with WAZE), where to eat etc. I like the “Disney bubble” on vacation. The only travel worries are getting to and from the airport. Meals and transportation are taken care of. WDW is a worry-free vacation with old friends. That said, I have been going to WDW since 1994 and I still am finding new things.

Janir

Prior to children, it was the escapism from the "real" world, remembering being there with my family and friends and what it was like to be a kid again. Now, having 3 little ones, it's about seeing their reaction to the sights, the sounds, the rides, and the characters. In a little over 3 weeks, my youngest will be there for the first time and my middle will remember everything for the first time. Experiencing those moments makes the financial shakedown worthwhile. To live everything through them again and know that they will someday do this with their children, makes it something that can be shared for generations.
While the DW and I don't have any children, the family and friends that attended our Disney wedding brought their kids and hanging out with their kids and seeing their pure joy on those kids faces is fun all by itself.
A related joy is seeing first timers, kids or adults experience WDW for the first time. So much fun that we've invited a very close friend of mine, that couldn't attend the wedding but helped design parts of our ceremony, to stay with us while I use our DVC points for upgraded rooms for our 2021 and he's bringing his niece and sister. All 3 who have never been to WDW. (With a Uni side trip as well. :D) So 3 new people to WDW, one of which is will be 12 during that trip. Its going to be a ton of fun letting them direct what they want to do and just asking us for idea and help. My buddy and I also do some regular Star Wars Role Playing gaming and a mini LARP in SWGE is on the table. :D

higgipoker

it is definitely not a value vacation
Simply not true. For me, Disney represents the absolute best value for time and money that it is possible for me to get out of a summer vacation (and it costs me A LOT coming from Europe). I don't think Disney prices are extortionate. Premium yes, but the experience and level of service and care they provide across the whole "world" is just simply unrivaled. I'd say priceless even.

I first went as an adult in 2015 at the age of 35 (with a large family group including kids) and was expecting only to enjoy it for the nostalgia factor (had been a few times as a kid myself) but have since been back in 2017 and 2018 with no kids in sight and am currently planning a 2020 visit too (had to skip 2019 unfortunately!).

There is still a nostalgia aspect to it, yes, but my better half doesn't have such nostalgic memories and she is just as much a Disney World nut as me now!

It's not for everyone of course, but just like a visit to a 5 star wine tasting event would be wasted on me, I don't think it's fair to say that a Disney World vacation doesn't represent value for money.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

Would live some views on this.

I go because it makes me happy, that simple. Some people talk about Nostalgia, but I only visited WDW once as a child (and DL once) so it's not nostalgia for me.

carriehpotter

Everyone is different. I know people who went to WDW as kids and liked it, but now as adults they could take it or leave it (or they even hate it). I think for those of us that grew up with WDW, there's a moment as we get older where we have to decide (consciously or not) whether we will continue to love it as adults. My parents took me in 2005 when I was 16. We'd been 6 times at that point and were still fresh DVC members. I'd always loved Disney. But for the first week of that trip, I was miserable. I wasn't enjoying myself, I thought things were lame, I couldn't engage. It sucked.

We were in the Emporium about halfway through the trip, and they had a huge wall of Mickey Mouse Crocs (these were like Gen 1 right when they started selling them). Both of my parents were excitedly picking out their size and getting ready to try a pair on. I was sulking away from them, but my mom looked up and said something like, "C'mon, it's fun!" In that moment, I realized I had a decision to make: continue to be a surly teenager, or embrace the Mouse and start having fun like I was a kid again. It was like a switch had flipped in my brain, and I was finally home. I grabbed a pair in my size, joined my laughing parents, and never looked back. Now 14 years and 10 trips later, I can say with 100% certainty that I am so happy I decided to embrace Disney as an adult. But it's not for everyone. Not everyone's "switch" flips. And that's fine, too.

Tank Man

Everyone is different. I know people who went to WDW as kids and liked it, but now as adults they could take it or leave it (or they even hate it). I think for those of us that grew up with WDW, there's a moment as we get older where we have to decide (consciously or not) whether we will continue to love it as adults. My parents took me in 2005 when I was 16. We'd been 6 times at that point and were still fresh DVC members. I'd always loved Disney. But for the first week of that trip, I was miserable. I wasn't enjoying myself, I thought things were lame, I couldn't engage. It sucked.

We were in the Emporium about halfway through the trip, and they had a huge wall of Mickey Mouse Crocs (these were like Gen 1 right when they started selling them). Both of my parents were excitedly picking out their size and getting ready to try a pair on. I was sulking away from them, but my mom looked up and said something like, "C'mon, it's fun!" In that moment, I realized I had a decision to make: continue to be a surly teenager, or embrace the Mouse and start having fun like I was a kid again. It was like a switch had flipped in my brain, and I was finally home. I grabbed a pair in my size, joined my laughing parents, and never looked back. Now 14 years and 10 trips later, I can say with 100% certainty that I am so happy I decided to embrace Disney as an adult. But it's not for everyone. Not everyone's "switch" flips. And that's fine, too.
That is a problem with teenagers (no offense to any)
They just don’t embrace the fun and they decide what is fun and what is not but a long time ago I decided I will love Disney for the rest of my life

Hula Baloo

I went when I was in elementary school and have almost no memory except for the Dumbo ride and Electric Parade. I went again when I was 20 with extended family and I was more interested in the Harry Potter area in Universal and hardly have any memory of Disney from that trip either. It wasn't until I went at 25 that I fell in love with Disney and have been going back every year. This will be the first year I am going more than once in a year.

I think the reason I like it so much (obviously not from nostalgia) is because going to Disney is easy and I have a different experience each time I visit. There is always something new that I see or do that I haven't done in a previous trip.

Orlando is only a 2 hour flight for me, it has become familiar, I know my way around the entire resort, I feel safe at each of the properties, the Disney bubble is so immersive, I love the rides, lots to do and eat, going at Christmas time with the decorations and decorated castle is beautiful, the different festivals at EPCOT, etc... I could go on and on.

I'm trying to take 3 of my friends in February and get them hooked as well :)

mariedarling

For me every year of my life as a family we went to Florida for vacation and we started going to Disney when i was very young. I have a photo of my dad and me on Main Street and i am in a baby carrier on his back! From then we went every couple years i want to say until about i was 12/13. We all (My brothers and i) starting complaining (our trip was always in August - so yea , hot in Disney) We eventually stopped our little trips and went further down coast visiting Miami & Sanibel/Captiva.

Flash forward to me planning my 30th birthday in 2015 and i got the idea to celebrate in Disney (my birthday is Halloween). My whole family thought i was INSANE (including my boyfriend, now husband) I invited everyone! My mom helped get everyone on board. This would be my first time back as an adult! We wound up renting a house and my mom, dad, younger brother, his gf, 2 uncles and 2 aunts, my bf and myself all went!! I HAD SO MUCH FUN. I dressed up as Marie and got to meet her (she's no longer in the parks 😥 ) We kinda through it together fairly quickly. I honestly don't remember if we even used fastpasses but It was really fun! We did MK and Epcot and Universal a very quick trip.

My younger brother's gf was PLANNING her birthday trip while we were in Disney still! haha

Well, little did i know my bf was a closet Disney nerd and he was like we are going again and staying on property for a WEEK the following year. I was like that's Disney jail!! After that trip i was even more hooked!! I didn't want to leave the Disney bubble (i changed my tune from jail haha) the rest is history.

There's just something about disney i love disney bounding and representing my favorite characters! I love taking photos and staring at the castle. I love the treats (dole whip) and now i love sharing Disney with my daughter who is almost 1 (and shes been to disney twice) 😬 i am keeping the tradition of babies in WDW!

Last edited:

Tank Man

I went when I was in elementary school and have almost no memory except for the Dumbo ride and Electric Parade. I went again when I was 20 with extended family and I was more interested in the Harry Potter area in Universal and hardly have any memory of Disney from that trip either. It wasn't until I went at 25 that I fell in love with Disney and have been going back every year. This will be the first year I am going more than once in a year.

I think the reason I like it so much (obviously not from nostalgia) is because going to Disney is easy and I have a different experience each time I visit. There is always something new that I see or do that I haven't done in a previous trip.

Orlando is only a 2 hour flight for me, it has become familiar, I know my way around the entire resort, I feel safe at each of the properties, the Disney bubble is so immersive, I love the rides, lots to do and eat, going at Christmas time with the decorations and decorated castle is beautiful, the different festivals at EPCOT, etc... I could go on and on.

I'm trying to take 3 of my friends in February and get them hooked as well :)
I do like some things at Universal as well but Disney has the sense of Aw to me as they do have magic and even I did forget but I remembered I had great memories and I hope on going in early 2022 or late 2021 to experience it all again with maybe going to Universal.

Hula Baloo

I do like some things at Universal as well but Disney has the sense of Aw to me as they do have magic and even I did forget but I remembered I had great memories and I hope on going in early 2022 or late 2021 to experience it all again with maybe going to Universal.
Yes you should definitely go! Especially in late 2021 a lot of the construction and new rides will be completed!

CP_alum08

I just mock booked a 8 night stay at the Grand Floridian for August, just to do a price check. That includes the standard dining plan, memory maker, 7 park days, and parkhopper. The total cost comes out to be right at 6 grand. Truthfully, theres not alot of other places that we could spend 6,000 at and have nonstop entertainment... and this price could be cut in half easily but staying at a cheaper resort and by bringing some of our own food and not doing dining plan.
Changing GF to the cabins and dropping the dining plan moves the price to about 3500. Changing to the All Stars moves it to 2400 with no dining plan, 3100 for quick service, and about 3500 for standard dining

We could do a cruise that would be quite a bit less (if we went with Carnival, RC, or Norwegian)... cruises are fun, but there is less to do.

We could fly to Europe, but when you factor in flights, accommodations, paying for transportation there, food, your looking at probably more money and significantly more travel time.

Theres a ton of things we could do "cheaper", but none of those things (besides a cruise - arguably) offer the non stop entertainment options WDW does.
Great post! Any chance you could just copy and paste all of this into any/all of the why is WDW so expensive threads?! “Nonstop entertainment” hits the nail on the head so perfectly.

38053WDW

If you don't understand the sign you'll never understand Walt Disney.. https://hereyouleavetoday.wordpress.com/tag/walt-disney-world/ - I would say maybe it the older generations 60's 70' that get it when they were kids.. We dream of Prince and Princesses (Fantasy Land), we Play Cowboys and Indians (Frontier Land) We fly to the moon (Tomorrow land), We walk to the store to buy a pack of gum, return old coke bottles for a quarter (Main Street) We didn't have the "electronics of today where our kids get them at 3 and we'd say "Here ya go!" Going to Disney you'd see things you never would see.. you go to places you only dreamed about ... Walt brought it to life for us! When I walk though the tunnels of Magic Kingdom I still get choked up and say "were home!"(I'm 55).. That inner child comes out in me and my days with my parents coming here. When we go on vacation our friends say "wait, let me guess Disney" I say yep! Some people enjoy skiing every year, some the beach, who knows .. we enjoy Disney. Look up Disney College Program on you tube and watch " I got accepted" calls and watch many many young adults cry on just hearing that! Just my two cents.. oh yea .. were going again in December :)

Random one -

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom