Which moderate has the most Disney magic? (no FQ)

DubyooDeeDubyoo

Simple question for the crowd: We're going to WDW after I hiked it alone last year. We've decided to do a moderate hotel again, and since I already did POFQ before we thought we should do a new hotel, so FQ is off the table.

We're old-school Disneylanders who don't get out east, and while I realize that there's not as much 'Walt was here' in WDW like there is in DL, is there one that seems more elaborately themed than the other?

Some other questions:

My take so far is that CBR is older and I know the buildings are in bright pastels inside and out that may not appeal to our masculine side. I know the rooms are larger, does that seem to come across when staying there, or is it mostly eaten up by furniture, etc? We don't do pools, so the number of pools at CBR is noted but irrelevent.

POR is my leading pick right now, it seems very Walt-ish to me with the waterhouse and the mansions and the fishing island and so on. I saw very little of it during my stay. However, it would also seem to be greatly related to FQ. Is POR much 'different'?

CSR... Well, it always seems like a strong contender, and it's location is right, but we're from the southwest and so spanish architecture throughout just doesn't fire me up. It seems from the pictures that different 'regions' have different interior colors, some of which are stretching a bit to my tastes.

Tim G

Simple question for the crowd: We're going to WDW after I hiked it alone last year. We've decided to do a moderate hotel again, and since I already did POFQ before we thought we should do a new hotel, so FQ is off the table.

We're old-school Disneylanders who don't get out east, and while I realize that there's not as much 'Walt was here' in WDW like there is in DL, is there one that seems more elaborately themed than the other?

Some other questions:

My take so far is that CBR is older and I know the buildings are in bright pastels inside and out that may not appeal to our masculine side. I know the rooms are larger, does that seem to come across when staying there, or is it mostly eaten up by furniture, etc? We don't do pools, so the number of pools at CBR is noted but irrelevent.

POR is my leading pick right now, it seems very Walt-ish to me with the waterhouse and the mansions and the fishing island and so on. I saw very little of it during my stay. However, it would also seem to be greatly related to FQ. Is POR much 'different'?

CSR... Well, it always seems like a strong contender, and it's location is right, but we're from the southwest and so spanish architecture throughout just doesn't fire me up. It seems from the pictures that different 'regions' have different interior colors, some of which are stretching a bit to my tastes.
The most magical???

Grand Floridian Resort & Spa...

Upvote 0

DubyooDeeDubyoo

Original Poster
Oh come on, I said moderate. 'Sides, I'm one of those guys who finds Contemporary more magical than GF. It feels like classic 60s Disney. GF feels like a Vegas hotel that lost it's way.

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: go with POR. the theming is way different than FQ. Seems like youre back in the woods, kinda, with nice buildings all around. Theres fishing there and the piano bar is way cool at night. My son loved it. The food court is good,too. Nice arcade room and bike and boat and pontoon rentals round out all the reason to stay at POR. I think all moderate rooms are the same. CSprings has too many conventions. Enjoy no matter where you stay. :animwink:

Upvote 0

csaribay

Grand Floridian Resort & Spa...

At only four times the cost of any moderate, yes, the GF can be quite magical.

I haven't had a problem with POR, and had a great stay just a couple days ago. The differences aren't great between the two sister resorts (POR is more spread out, exterior facades are different), so you may want to factor that in if you'd like a completely different experience.

A few photos:

por-beds.jpg

por-table.jpg

por-amoirebth.jpg

por_riversidemill.jpg

por_sasagoula.jpg

Upvote 0

LuLaSue

POR is a personal favorite. As you can see the pictures above are lovely. The hotel is simply stated and even though there a many people staying on the property the hotel is pretty much quiet. POR even offers some nightly entertainment with its infamous Piano Bar :wave:

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I love Coronado Springs and you'll never hear me speak a word against it. HOWEVER :lol: as far as resort Disney magic - my perception is that Caribbean Beach would probably have the most Disney Magic, because for whatever reason (probably its name and its pastel colors) - it draws the most families with children. If the most magical isn't Caribbean Beach - it is probably Port Orleans because of its water transportation (how cool!), Tom Sawyer style restaurant and little place where you can fish with cane poles.

Coronado is probably least magical, but it is still a great, great Disney moderate hotel. With spa services, a fun Mayan themed pool and waterslide, and the best direct to the park, sit and enjoy your ride, bus service on property, it is plenty good.

I'm sure you will have a great stay no matter which resort you choose.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

My vote is POR as well.

The boat transportation to Downtown Disney is really cool... Although if you stayed at FQ, you might have already done that so that doesn't matter to you... Ol' Man Island is themed very well, with the catfish pond, and the surrounding river, etc... The pool is quite nice with a fun slide, and there's a great bar there to sit and have a couple drinks at.

CSR hosts conventions, and to me, because of that, loses a touch of magic. People at my resort in a suit makes me think too much about work.

CBR is too spread out for my taste. If you aren't lucky to have a room in the right area, it's a 10 or 15 minute walk at times to get where you're going.

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

My vote is for POR. I love it and POFQ. For the most part when we go there our hotel problems are deciding between POR and POFQ. They have great reasons listed above. To me, they make me forget about everything else going on and just to focus on your surroundings. i love both of them. you can't go wrong with either!! :wave:

Upvote 0

Rob562

I've stayed at CBR and POR three times each, and I agree with many of the others and highly recommend Riverside.

Coronado might be on my list for my next trip, though. While it's not exactly my first choice theme-wise, my friend likes it and is also looking for a resort with a gym. It's the only non-Deluxe with a gym. (Though if we get an amazing deal at Wilderness Lodge, we'd be there in a heartbeat)

French Quarter is next on my list of places to stay after Coronado.

And to answer a question you had that noone else really answered about the room size at CBR. The bigger size isn't that noticeable. The other Moderates don't feel cramped or anything, so unless you were in rooms at CBR and Port Orleans on the same trip, you probably won't notice. I believe the difference in room size is strictly side-to-side, so you have a little more space between the foot of the beds and the TV cabinet and table.

Oh, and to put in my two cents on room location at Riverside, go for Buildings 14 or 27 in Aligator Bayou, or Magnolia Terrace (Building 85) in the mansions (some people also highly recommend Oak Manor, building 90, but the bus stop is closer to Magnolia Terrace).

-Rob

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I like your thought process with regard to choosing a resort.

Although you seem already to have talked yourself into it, I do agree that POR is a good choice.

However, Rob 562 just hinted at yet another decision to make: Mansions or Alligator Bayou. The photos above are from a Mansions room. Good photos of a Bayou room are at allearsnet.com. "Rustic" is the catchphrase at AB. The beds are made from logs rather than finished lumber and the bedspreads look like patchwork quilts.

Personally, I get enough of that themeing here in the Midwest, but since you're from the Southwest it would probably be fun. (I agree that Coronado would feel too much like home)

You will also love the lush greenery--can't get that in the desert!

on the other hand... If you stay at CBR you can awake your inner Jimmy Buffett....

Have a great trip

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

I have stayed at both POFQ and POR Mansions. I think the themeing and landscapes of both have different feels.

I loved the Mansions, the landscaping was beautiful, the buildings were nice and the rooms were pretty good too, but the walk from you room to the bus stop, and even to the resturant was unreal. So I would take Rob's advise and stay in Magnolia Terrace.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom