Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Your opinion and far out scenarios to save money which I don't agree to. A number of ways some can downsize their life but choose not to. You make your bed , you better be prepared to sleep in it. Former peers went to the nearby Starbucks multiple times a day , eating out 5 lunches a week , one complained can't get ahead of endless bills but spending $40 a day on Starbucks and lunch . One can add up what he spends monthly. Just a tad more than $400. I drank the free Keurig at work and brown bagged. You should read up on FIRE ( Financially Independent Retire Early ). Its a lifestyle not for all but achievable for ones who pursue. I didn't follow the crowd in school. I was on the work study program, washed dishes mop floors in the college cafeteria while eating for free, worked every summer break winter break to earn so I could buy my first home in my mid 20s. 6% compounding interest invest $400 monthly from 20s-age 65 in a Vanguard stock index fund , its a cool $1M . No smoke and mirrors on that.
Just wanted to share a few (random) thoughts, to your response (above) to @Goofyernmost . Obviously, I can't speak for him, as I haven't "walked a mile in his shoes." Yet, he's always struck me as someone who is responsible with his finances. He raised a family, and held various jobs during his career. From what I've read in his posts (for years in this forum), he's never been an extravagant spender.

As for saving for retirement, not every saver who tries, can reach their goal. Even cutting back on discretionary spending, still might not be enough, (in every case). As you mentioned, it definitely helps to trim costs wherever possible; but I believe it also depends more upon how much money your job pays (and how many people you're responsible for, such as children), and any benefits package from the employer. And while some people are quite savvy with their investments which is great, not everyone has that acquired skill -- despite additional efforts to educate oneself further.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Our new incoming superintendent is our current HS principal, and he's going to be so HS focused. He told a 3rd grade teacher this year to do something during their "Lego time". When I heard that, my jaw hit the floor. He has no idea what actually takes place in an elementary school. We don't have "Lego time". He's requiring all staff to go to graduation. And there's been more. Everything is from a high school perspective, and he doesn't think about the elementary level at all.

How can he require attendance at graduation? Is it part of the contract? Seems a little heavy handed unless you are compensated in some way if it is required. Our attendance at graduation is option but it is a small school so a lot of staff go.

PUSH

Original Poster
How can he require attendance at graduation? Is it part of the contract? Seems a little heavy handed unless you are compensated in some way if it is required. Our attendance at graduation is option but it is a small school so a lot of staff go.
It's going to be in the calendar, which is in the handbook, which is what we agree to when we sign the contract. It counts as a third of a day. It's at 7pm on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. A lot of staff members questioned him on it, including me, and he pretty much said he did it because he can and he has the right to dictate what hours we work, per the handbook. The way he went about requiring it was shady, too. He sent out a calendar for us to provide feedback on, such as when to have our August inservice days and when spring break was. He listened to our feedback there, but there was no mention of requiring graduation on the first calendar. When he sent out the revised calendar, the graduation requirement was in there, and he added two inservice days onto the end of the year after students leave. He told the school board that he listened to staff feedback on the calendar, but failed to mention he blindsided everyone with very unpopular changes in the second version.

Goofyernmost

Your opinion and far out scenarios to save money which I don't agree to. A number of ways some can downsize their life but choose not to. You make your bed , you better be prepared to sleep in it. Former peers went to the nearby Starbucks multiple times a day , eating out 5 lunches a week , one complained can't get ahead of endless bills but spending $40 a day on Starbucks and lunch . One can add up what he spends monthly. Just a tad more than $400. I drank the free Keurig at work and brown bagged. You should read up on FIRE ( Financially Independent Retire Early ). Its a lifestyle not for all but achievable for ones who pursue. I didn't follow the crowd in school. I was on the work study program, washed dishes mop floors in the college cafeteria while eating for free, worked every summer break winter break to earn so I could buy my first home in my mid 20s. 6% compounding interest invest $400 monthly from 20s-age 65 in a Vanguard stock index fund , its a cool $1M . No smoke and mirrors on that.
So you knew someone that spent $40.00 per week at Starbucks and that proves your theory to be correct. I see! Well, when most of the people my age started out there was no Starbucks to go too. Average salaries were in the range of $8000 per year and that had to pay for everything, not counting taxes. Like I said EVERYONE'S situation is different but to just think that there is nothing to putting $400 a month away to use when they get to 65 years old is not the reality for the vast majority of people. Particularly, in the era I grew up in. By the time we got to the end of college at around 22 years old, we had that lovely Police Action in So. Vietnam and by the time we got out of our Government obligation we were 25 or 26 trying to get started in a world that was already saturated with those that managed to have the proper timing to not have to do that service. It also depends on where one lives. If you lived in a big city and had a marketable skill then you might start out with more salary, but if you just married, started a family and were working your way up. that $400 was pretty evasive if you are in more rural areas.

I'm sure that you are expressing your individual experience but you are one person in a group of 350,000,000 people and not everyone would be lucky enough to start out that way. Try doing all that on $300 per week, pay a mortgage, pay for a car, buy food, clothing and pay for utilities and see were you might find $400 per month just lying around with nothing to need it for life in general. I'm just saying that your idea of it is simple to just cut back on something and put it away, is not what most people are able to do by necessity. I'm glad that you were able, but don't make it sound like we were all spending foolishly instead of planning for the future. Before anyone can get to the future, we all have to survive the present.

Lilofan

So you knew someone that spent $40.00 per week at Starbucks and that proves your theory to be correct. I see! Well, when most of the people my age started out there was no Starbucks to go too. Average salaries were in the range of $8000 per year and that had to pay for everything, not counting taxes. Like I said EVERYONE'S situation is different but to just think that there is nothing to putting $400 a month away to use when they get to 65 years old is not the reality for the vast majority of people. Particularly, in the era I grew up in. By the time we got to the end of college at around 22 years old, we had that lovely Police Action in So. Vietnam and by the time we got out of our Government obligation we were 25 or 26 trying to get started in a world that was already saturated with those that managed to have the proper timing to not have to do that service. It also depends on where one lives. If you lived in a big city and had a marketable skill then you might start out with more salary, but if you just married, started a family and were working your way up. that $400 was pretty evasive if you are in more rural areas.

I'm sure that you are expressing your individual experience but you are one person in a group of 350,000,000 people and not everyone would be lucky enough to start out that way. Try doing all that on $300 per week, pay a mortgage, pay for a car, buy food, clothing and pay for utilities and see were you might find $400 per month just lying around with nothing to need it for life in general. I'm just saying that your idea of it is simple to just cut back on something and put it away, is not what most people are able to do by necessity. I'm glad that you were able, but don't make it sound like we were all spending foolishly instead of planning for the future. Before anyone can get to the future, we all have to survive the present.
Your examples while realistic doesn't fare well with current ones that I know through friendships and work. Bottom line complain but do not want to change before and current SPENDING HABITS. I'm sure you will critic this with other examples but that's ok. My neighbor literally said to me he has to count his " pennies " in retirement. His biggest regrets were a number of his purchases in life ( he gave me many examples ) . I just listened to his stories. The nice part about spending on my part like going on vacation is that its the booming stock market profits that I'm using . It is not to sound arrogant. It is a fact. The money is working harder than the worker. When some peers ask me how I do it. I told them it is not an overnight process it is a life time commitment / sacrifice in money management.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

If only Starbucks had been around earlier. Think of all the money you would have saved by not going there.
the big bang theory sarcasm GIF

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Great , its actual life also of a number of people with poor undisciplined money mgt skills. 😉

Another failing excuse to critic how poorly some manage their money.
I'm sorry. Obviously I don't have any anecdotal friends to help make wild assumptions about the rest of the worlds situation.
I will leave now .

Lilofan

I'm sorry. Obviously I don't have any anecdotal friends to help make wild assumptions about the rest of the worlds situation.
I will leave now .
Your assumptions of me describing the world is wrong. You may have not noticed that I used real examples instead of your assuming about the world. Try again.

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
I said this before, but The Traitors is so good. I'm going back and watching season 1 of the US series, and it's so much fun. TV shows usually struggles to gain my full attention, but I am locked into every aspect of the show. Well... maybe not the challenges, but everything else.

My plan for spring break was to finish season 1, and I only have two episodes left to go. I'm going to have to dive into the international seasons next.

rshell68

I said this before, but The Traitors is so good. I'm going back and watching season 1 of the US series, and it's so much fun. TV shows usually struggles to gain my full attention, but I am locked into every aspect of the show. Well... maybe not the challenges, but everything else.

My plan for spring break was to finish season 1, and I only have two episodes left to go. I'm going to have to dive into the international seasons next.
I may have to check that out. I'm just watching The Good Wife and really enjoying Alan ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom