Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

acishere

Dang. Closing One Man's Dream. Possibly. In 2 weeks?

Things are happening all over the place right now.

Said it before. Saying it again - JUST CLOSE DOWN DHS completely for 18 months, and re-open a whole new park jam-packed with attractions that will absolutely WOW us.

In the meantime, turf Tink and Mickey, and put OMD in the Town Square Theatre.
Yeah, DHS is probably a Universal day for me instead if they don't add anything soon.

meyeet

I'm going to need a cup of that frozen custard. We don't have that around here and I've always wanted to try it.
This was Ritter's Frozen Custard which according to their map has a store in Clermont, FL (outside of Orlando). I usually have Culver's Custard and according to their map they also have a store in Clermont, FL. Both have stores in Tampa and Daytona Beach as well. Looks like the Clone Custard wars have begun!

NYwdwfan

This was Ritter's Frozen Custard which according to their map has a store in Clermont, FL (outside of Orlando). I usually have Culver's Custard and according to their map they also have a store in Clermont, FL. Both have stores in Tampa and Daytona Beach as well. Looks like the Clone Custard wars have begun!

Nothing in NY?

Pfft.

Goofyernmost

Nothing in NY?

Pfft.
When I was a kid in my home town of Plattsburgh, NY, there was this tiny little shed by the side of the road near the paper mill that sold Frozen Custard. I don't remember the name of the guy that owned and operated it, but, it seemed like he was always there, smiling and selling those cones. I realize that my memories are from childhood, which was way more then just a few years ago, but, I have yet to have any that is even close to how good that was.

There wasn't much to do in a small town and any night that it was pleasant, we all piled into the car and went for a ride. Same route every time, but, it always included a Frozen Custard on the way out, and a stop at A&W on the way back. It was pretty calm back in the 50's. Now that I read what I just wrote, it becomes obvious why I had a weight problem all my life. I blame him... I doubt he will argue at this point.

NYwdwfan

When I was a kid in my home town of Plattsburgh, NY, there was this tiny little shed by the side of the road near the paper mill that sold Frozen Custard. I don't remember the name of the guy that owned and operated it, but, it seemed like he was always there, smiling and selling those cones. I realize that my memories are from childhood, which was way more then just a few years ago, but, I have yet to have any that is even close to how good that was.

There wasn't much to do in a small town and any night that it was pleasant, we all piled into the car and went for a ride. Same route every time, but, it always included a Frozen Custard on the way out, and a stop at A&W on the way back. It was pretty calm back in the 50's. Now that I read what I just wrote, it becomes obvious why I had a weight problem all my life. I blame him... I doubt he will argue at this point.

I often wonder if my memories from childhood would stand up to a time-machine visit to "back in the day". That's kind of how I remember River Country...but I have a feeling if I could step back in time and visit it now it wouldn't hold a candle to the memories.

Goofyernmost

I often wonder if my memories from childhood would stand up to a time-machine visit to "back in the day". That's kind of how I remember River Country...but I have a feeling if I could step back in time and visit it now it wouldn't hold a candle to the memories.
Yea, I know that to be true. That is one of my favorite comebacks for those that remember all the perfection that they saw as a kid at WDW. The truest test is to go back to the house that you grew up in. All of a sudden it is a tiny little place that when you lived there was gigantic. It even carries through to the teenage years. I remember that I was 15 when we moved from our huge house to Vermont. I had the opportunity to go back to that house 20 years later and I was totally floored by how much that place had shrunk. Amazing how a building can do that. I suspect it holds true for just about any of our memories from our youth.

By the way, when I visited that house back then... Bob Saget was not there.

NYwdwfan

Yea, I know that to be true. That is one of my favorite comebacks for those that remember all the perfection that they saw as a kid at WDW. The truest test is to go back to the house that you grew up in. All of a sudden it is a tiny little place that when you lived there was gigantic. It even carries through to the teenage years. I remember that I was 15 when we moved from our huge house to Vermont. I had the opportunity to go back to that house 20 years later and I was totally floored by how much that place had shrunk. Amazing how a building can do that. I suspect it holds true for just about any of our memories from our youth.

By the way, when I visited that house back then... Bob Saget was not there.

When I was 22ish (1995) I went to WDW with a friend that had never been, and we stayed off site at the Hilton in Downtown Disney. We took the hotel shuttle bus to the TTC and took the monorail to MK. When the monorail stopped at the Polynesian I refused to get off and look around. I had last been in the Polynesian lobby when I was very little - around 1982 - when we had visited with my grandparents and cousins in a great big family trip. I had memories of sitting with my grandfather in those great big wicker and teal chairs. I knew those chairs would be gone and I didn't want to see it. I wanted the memory of the lobby to be untarnished.

I've since been back and had many a memory trampled - but that's a discussion for another day.

Nemo14

When I was 22ish (1995) I went to WDW with a friend that had never been, and we stayed off site at the Hilton in Downtown Disney. We took the hotel shuttle bus to the TTC and took the monorail to MK. When the monorail stopped at the Polynesian I refused to get off and look around. I had last been in the Polynesian lobby when I was very little - around 1982 - when we had visited with my grandparents and cousins in a great big family trip. I had memories of sitting with my grandfather in those great big wicker and teal chairs. I knew those chairs would be gone and I didn't want to see it. I wanted the memory of the lobby to be untarnished.

I've since been back and had many a memory trampled - but that's a discussion for another day.
I have pictures of my kids sitting in those chairs, waiting to go into the restaurant that became Kona Cafe.

NYwdwfan

I have pictures of my kids sitting in those chairs, waiting to go into the restaurant that became Kona Cafe.

I don't remember that restaurant...but I do remember the predecessor to Ohana (Papeete Bay Verandah) where the lounge act sang Happy Birthday to me when I was around 4. Quite possibly my earliest vivid memory.

Nemo14

The name of it escapes me right now, but we often would hop on the monorail and go eat lunch there. The food was good and reasonably priced.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I bet @unkadug knows...
Well, you gave me a task and I researched it and this is what I found:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/472/Walt-Disney-World/Polynesian/Kona-Cafe
At this location: When the Polynesian Resort opened in 1971, this location opened as a restaurant as well. It opened as the Coral Island Coffee Shop and was soon renamed Coral Island Cafe. The restaurant survived until July 25, 1998. The space was then completely redesigned and reopened on November 23 as Kona Cafe.

Nemo14

Well, you gave me a task and I researched it and this is what I found:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/472/Walt-Disney-World/Polynesian/Kona-Cafe
At this location: When the Polynesian Resort opened in 1971, this location opened as a restaurant as well. It opened as the Coral Island Coffee Shop and was soon renamed Coral Island Cafe. The restaurant survived until July 25, 1998. The space was then completely redesigned and reopened on November 23 as Kona Cafe.
Thanks - I knew it was Coral something or other. We took my mom there once when she had come to MK with us, and she had a fit that we were riding the resort monorail and we were not resort guests. We were such rebels back then!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom