When Your Little Ones LOSE IT At The Parks

jaklgreen

He's in his young 30's. Before jumping to conclusions, know that he is an incredibly smart young man. He once attended a highly esteemed academy taught by my son before dropping out early due to being too advanced for the curriculum offered. He's very gifted at building machinery and psychology / interpreting what people are thinking. I know the whole tantrum thing sounds bad for his age, but a lot of that, like I mentioned before, is due to the fact his father (my son-in-law) became so distant & preoccupied with his own life. Soon after Ben left the academy, my own son left to retire on some remote island, and could care less about theme parks, etc...so I am pretty much all Ben has to turn to as far as a father figure goes. It's more of an emotional issue with him than a mental deficiency.

But there are still those moments which can lead to high stress, and knowing how the parks can be with all the planning, rushing, crowds, you name it...I was beginning to fear another breakdown in such an environment. It would be as embarrassing for me as it would be for him. Hopefully having me around will keep this from occurring.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips & advice!

30?!? I thought he was a child. There are no tips for keeping an adult from having a temper tantrum other then maybe counseling on how to handle stress in your life. Plenty of people have had absent/horrible parents but can handle going to a theme park without any kind of meltdown. Please encourage him to seek help if things are that bad for him.

britdaw

My son is autistic and I'm worried about a meltdown from him, too. However, my plan is to try to find someplace relatively quiet to take him until he calms down. If he can't handle the parks, we can leave and go back to the hotel for a rest.

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
30?!? I thought he was a child. There are no tips for keeping an adult from having a temper tantrum other then maybe counseling on how to handle stress in your life. Plenty of people have had absent/horrible parents but can handle going to a theme park without any kind of meltdown. Please encourage him to seek help if things are that bad for him.
Seeking help really is a waste of time & resources for him, as it's more caused by emotional scars rather than any sort of mental issue or illness. He's been to Disney before with his mother, and had only minimal incident of temper blowup. I'm confident it will be the same for us in May during our upcoming trip.

It's just certain quirks here & there that set him off. For example, he insists on always being the very first person to place an order at any quick service restaurant that he visits. Years ago while at Epcot, he demanded to be number one in line as soon as Electric Umbrella opened for the day. The thought of anybody else getting to order a meal prior to him seemed upsetting. As soon as the doors opened & he entered the restaurant, he shouted out: "I AM IN CHARGE OF THE FIRST ORDER!" It was embarrassing, but thankfully, being the first in line to order a meal that day, not too many other patrons or CM's witnessed his outburst.

I'm hoping I'll be able to cope with anything should it arise during our May vacation. The more I keep telling myself everything will be okay, the better I feel about it all. Disney never seems to disappoint, no matter how stressful our family or travel companions can get.

DisneyPrincess5

I agree with Princess Kaylee and SyracuseDisneyFan. The hardest part of taking young children to Disney is that we want them to have fun, and be a special time for them. However, we tend to forget that children need rules and guidelines, and very often (in all of the excitemint) we let our children get away with behavior that would be unacceptable in any other place. As mentioned above, routine will help prevent a meltdown. If you're driving to Disney World, make sure he knows that the same rules;)apply. This also holds true for stores and restaurants. This doesn't mean we need to have a rule for everything, but try to remind him that the same rules at home also are the same rules at Disney World. I can't tell how many times I hear a parent say "he/she knows better" but do children really when he or she is on vacation? All of a sudden children maybe eating food they don't normally eat at home, and getting a lot more gifts. (Please don't think I'm suggesting not to treat your child to special things. I know I would be hard pressed not to. ;)) But I think explaining this before you even leave the house, with reminders as needed, will be a big help. My mom also suggested that if a child misbehaves or has a meltdown, take them to a "quiet" spot like a park bench or any out of the way spot instead of punishing them. I think a lot of times children are tired, hungry, or just overwhelmed. My mom mentioned that having him or her write down or draw what he did wrong may help calm him or her down, and think about why he or she acted that way. Might even be a little break for the whole family. Regardless whether you use any of this advice or not, I appreciate and applaud your forethought. As fellow guests, we never want to see or hear a meltdown, and are grateful that you are trying to prevent bothering guests and keeping your family happy during this trip. I know I want to see happy, smiling kids at the most magical place on earth. :DKudos to you and have a great trip.
While your insight is very helpful and thoughtful, I think you missed the part where the OP says his grandson is in his 30s....

NYwdwfan

@Dartha Stewart - have you considered sitting down with Ben before the trip and laying out some ground rules? Maybe explaining to him that he doesn't rule the galaxy would temper his expectations before the trip? Either way I home you enjoy this time your grandson - these younglings grow up so fast, don't they? And if things go bad, I hope you can weather the storm. Be a trooper!

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
@Dartha Stewart - have you considered sitting down with Ben before the trip and laying out some ground rules? Maybe explaining to him that he doesn't rule the galaxy would temper his expectations before the trip? Either way I home you enjoy this time your grandson - these younglings grow up so fast, don't they? And if things go bad, I hope you can weather the storm. Be a trooper!
Thank you so much for your kind words & encouragement. You sound like his grandmother sometimes. Sadly, she is no longer with us. :(
That in itself is a long story, and would take over six hours to explain.

stargrl33

I guess all you can do is stay away from any triggers that may set him off. For example, there is an icon in Epcot that resembles a certain space station that may bring up some old issues for both of you. Best to avoid it, I'd say. And if worst comes to worst, maybe just try embracing his anger - you know, give into it. What could go wrong, really?

Nick Wilde

Let's face it: With all the sights, sounds, smells, and surroundings to absorb during any day at the theme parks, it is easy for your little ones to eventually reach a breaking point & simply lose it! I'm sure many of you know what I'm referring to: Before you know it...a full-fledge fit is underway, and an afternoon nap is looong overdue.

But what is the best way to handle a situation when your young travel companions start to reach meltdown mode? What creative ways have you discovered that help ease the tension for everyone involved? Do you simply let them cry it out of their system? Do you take them back to the resort room for a powernap? What works best? Let me further explain my situation...

This upcoming May, my grandson Ben will be joining us for a week-long WDW vacation. It was a surprise planned several months ago that he would be joining us for the trip, but the boy has a talent for figuring things out. It's like he can sometimes read our minds. Needless to say, he now knows that he's going to Disney with us, and is beyond ecstatic in anticipation for what awaits. Ben adores me; idolizes me, if you will. As his grandfather I am excited too how it has worked out so that the he & the entire family can come along for the Disney trip. But here is what concerns me: As much as I love my grandson and am happy that he is going with us, part of me is worried. Over the years he has had some pretty bad temper blowups in public. His tantrums are not always common, but when they do occur, it can be quite startling for those around. A lot of his anger issues are a result of his father being practically nonexistent during much of Ben's life. His mother (my daughter), whom is more supportive, keeps busy with her job as a top official in the military. So a lot of this has boiled up over the years & caused my grandson to have sporadic temper issues when life gets stressful.

So given the stress that can come with a trip to even the most magical place on earth, I am a bit cautious with how the crowds, noise, and so on will impact our trip in May. Luckily we will be going before most schools let out for summer vacation, and hopefully the crowd levels won't reach the most severe summer levels by that point. But regardless, any advice on how to cope with quick tempers and sudden outbursts while in a place as massive as WDW can never hurt.

What are your tips, tricks, & other tidbits in calming the storm when your little ones reach a melting point?
Thanks for the laugh. That was really well written. Had me going for quite a bit until I noticed. Well played.

jaklgreen

Seeking help really is a waste of time & resources for him, as it's more caused by emotional scars rather than any sort of mental issue or illness. He's been to Disney before with his mother, and had only minimal incident of temper blowup. I'm confident it will be the same for us in May during our upcoming trip.

It's just certain quirks here & there that set him off. For example, he insists on always being the very first person to place an order at any quick service restaurant that he visits. Years ago while at Epcot, he demanded to be number one in line as soon as Electric Umbrella opened for the day. The thought of anybody else getting to order a meal prior to him seemed upsetting. As soon as the doors opened & he entered the restaurant, he shouted out: "I AM IN CHARGE OF THE FIRST ORDER!" It was embarrassing, but thankfully, being the first in line to order a meal that day, not too many other patrons or CM's witnessed his outburst.

I'm hoping I'll be able to cope with anything should it arise during our May vacation. The more I keep telling myself everything will be okay, the better I feel about it all. Disney never seems to disappoint, no matter how stressful our family or travel companions can get.

It is never a waste of time to get counseling. Emotional scars are what counselors are there to help with. Those outbursts are not normal for a 30 year old man. There is nothing wrong with getting the help you need.

StarWarsGirl

It is never a waste of time to get counseling. Emotional scars are what counselors are there to help with. Those outbursts are not normal for a 30 year old man. There is nothing wrong with getting the help you need.
Unfortunately, the two best counselors for his situation are dead. One of them was just a crazy old hermit. The other talked backwards in riddles. Ben's uncle also tried to help him, and that didn't work out either.

Really, only time will tell whether Kylo Ren er, Ben, comes back from the dark side.

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
I completely understand what you mean. I'm just a little skeptical when it comes to counselors, mentors, and so on. I once had a mentor of my own who helped me through a lot of tough times in my life. He was my best friend one moment, and the next it felt as if he left me burning alive, so to speak. That is why I am a little hesitant to push Ben toward seeking help just yet.

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
Unfortunately, the two best counselors for his situation are dead. One of them was just a crazy old hermit. The other talked backwards in riddles. Ben's uncle also tried to help him, and that didn't work out either.
Ben has a friend of sorts currently who tries to help him. But I'm not sure about how I feel about this fellow. He seems a little big-headed, blurred in his intentions at times, and very pale in his attempts at helping. Not sure how this will work out.

StarWarsGirl

Ben has a friend of sorts currently who tries to help him. But I'm not sure about how I feel about this fellow. He seems a little big-headed, blurred in his intentions at times, and very pale in his attempts at helping. Not sure how this will work out.
You know, I hear of a young woman with a lot of Force. She came out of the desert, was kind of a scavenger, but turns out she has some skills. Maybe she could help?

Although you might want to omit the part where she knew and liked Ben's father...

jaklgreen

I completely understand what you mean. I'm just a little skeptical when it comes to counselors, mentors, and so on. I once had a mentor of my own who helped me through a lot of tough times in my life. He was my best friend one moment, and the next it felt as if he left me burning alive, so to speak. That is why I am a little hesitant to push Ben toward seeking help just yet.

I was not talking about mentors, I was talking about professional help. I have personal experience with dealing with how to cope with bad parents. A professional can help you realize that you have to live your life and take control of yourself. At some point a person has to stop blaming their parents for their issues and what they did or did not do to them. In other words, you have to let it go.

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
You know, I hear of a young woman with a lot of Force. She came out of the desert, was kind of a scavenger, but turns out she has some skills. Maybe she could help?
You remind me a lot of her with your screen name. She truly is a bright young woman with a great future ahead. Thanksgiving & other family holidays are usually awkward though, as someone usually brings up the "Are we actually related" debate. As of now, nobody in my family really knows for sure...or at least hasn't said. I'm sure we'll all know one day, but as of now, it's anybody's guess. Either way, I am certainly proud to call her my granddaughter and / or just a good friend depending on what the final verdict is.

I was not talking about mentors, I was talking about professional help. I have personal experience with dealing with how to cope with bad parents. A professional can help you realize that you have to live your life and take control of yourself. At some point a person has to stop blaming their parents for their issues and what they did or did not do to them. In other words, you have to let it go.
Thanks again for all your advice. I really do appreciate it. Lord knows my son & I used to fight, and believe me...it got brutal! :eek:
Only when we worked together to help kill off my old boss did we really finally connect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom