When Your Little Ones LOSE IT At The Parks

GrammieBee

Ben is suffering from a case of arrested development. Like his other Grandfather before him, he is basically a teenager having a snit because of what he feels were injustices done to him. Definitely leaving long lasting emotional scars, little tolerance for stress or differing opinions and a great desire to make up for a sense of inadquancy by the use of force. Maybe it's genetic.

Anyway, if he gets out of hand, try calming sounds and capitulation. If that doesn't work, drop him in a pool or lake to cool off.

Nick Wilde

Ben is suffering from a case of arrested development. Like his other Grandfather before him, he is basically a teenager having a snit because of what he feels were injustices done to him. Definitely leaving long lasting emotional scars, little tolerance for stress or differing opinions and a great desire to make up for a sense of inadquancy by the use of force. Maybe it's genetic.

Anyway, if he gets out of hand, try calming sounds and capitulation. If that doesn't work, drop him in a pool or lake to cool off.
Maybe even a lake of fire, like his grandfather.

ninjaprincesst

I just don't get the meltdown concept. If never told my daughter that she was not supposed to cry or have fits in public, it was just something she always knew better and never threw a fit at Disney or any public place. I think personally the best way to deal with toddlers especially in the summer heat is just take them somewhere cool for a rest and maybe a snack , or maybe even a little shopping as a distraction, or maybe a nice shaded place for a nap in the stroller, now when they get to be four or five i'ts time to go to the restroom for a "discussion". they can voice being tired at that age without the meltdown.

DrummerAlly

I just don't get the meltdown concept. If never told my daughter that she was not supposed to cry or have fits in public, it was just something she always knew better and never threw a fit at Disney or any public place. I think personally the best way to deal with toddlers especially in the summer heat is just take them somewhere cool for a rest and maybe a snack , or maybe even a little shopping as a distraction, or maybe a nice shaded place for a nap in the stroller, now when they get to be four or five i'ts time to go to the restroom for a "discussion". they can voice being tired at that age without the meltdown.

I applaud you and your amazing parenting skills and your very reasonable daughter. Kids are all very different. There are some awesome parents out there who have kids who are just difficult. There are terrible parents who have kids that are awesome. Some kids are harder than others.. they're all special little snowflakes. My 3.5 year old daughter is not neurotypical - her brain doesn't work like most people's. She is on the autism spectrum. There are awesome parents out there using every tool in their tool box to help their kids behave and function well in society and they're still going to have a meltdown.

shipley731

. I think your force needs to awaken....

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Why is discussion in quotes? Makes it seem like you are smacking your kid around in the bathroom.

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
I just don't get the meltdown concept. If never told my daughter that she was not supposed to cry or have fits in public, it was just something she always knew better and never threw a fit at Disney or any public place.
Fits I could handle, if it was simply that. Heck, even I mastered the art of unnecessarily crying & pouting during my young adulthood years. (Don't ever bring up the subject of sand when I'm around).

But when your grandson's tantrums have escalated over the years to the point of entire control rooms being slashed to pieces...THEN it's time to seriously consider threatening an earlier enforced bedtime.

I sat Ben down earlier today & gave him a thorough lecture on what behavior I expect from him if he wants to go to WDW with us in May. He seems to understand that only calm, happy behavior is to be exhibited during the trip. I also told him that if he is real good, I might even allow him to wear his favorite mask the entire vacation.

NYwdwfan

Fits I could handle, if it was simply that. Heck, even I mastered the art of unnecessarily crying & pouting during my young adulthood years. (Don't ever bring up the subject of sand when I'm around).

But when your grandson's tantrums have escalated over the years to the point of entire control rooms being slashed to pieces...THEN it's time to seriously consider threatening an earlier enforced bedtime.

I sat Ben down earlier today & gave him a thorough lecture on what behavior I expect from him if he wants to go to WDW with us in May. He seems to understand that only calm, happy behavior is to be exhibited during the trip. I also told him that if he is real good, I might even allow him to wear his favorite mask the entire vacation.
Just don't let him carry around YOUR old mask ...that would be weird.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

I hate to tell you this but masks are not longer allowed a Disney Parks. You're going to have to build extra time for him to fix his hair into your morning routine.

DiSnEyF@n

When our DS would "hit the wall" we would say "it's time for the pool." We stayed on property so we would head back to our resort and let him swim and 'chill." After we would head back to the room to get ready for dinner and our evening fun, while waiting for my DW to shower DS and I would lie down and he always fell asleep for his power nap followed by a shower. After that he was fine for the evening.

Jus curious, how old was he???

Weather_Lady

As others said, first, try to avoid meltdowns in the first place with well-planned touring (e.g., rope drop arrivals, good use of FP+) which will avoid time spent in line. Take frequent potty/snack breaks throughout the day, go back to the hotel for a long nap break in the afternoon, and make sure he's getting to bed at a reasonable time (preferably not much later than he typically goes to bed at home), so your little one is as well-rested and refreshed as possible while in the parks.

Also, in the case of a little one on their first visit, educating them as much as possible about what it will be like -- it will be hot sometimes, you'll have to wait for things, we'll be walking some long distances, not every attraction will be your favorite, etc. -- can help them adjust their expectations ahead of time. Giving him a little bit of say in the planning or touring now and then -- e.g., "shall we go to the Jungle Cruise next, or maybe the Tiki Room?" -- can also give him a sense of empowerment that can lessen the potential for his feeling frustrated. You can also show him park maps and/or Youtube videos of attractions ahead of time, in order to make his Disney experience feel a little less unfamiliar. Be sure that in all that preparation, you discuss with him your expectations of his behavior in the parks.

Second, if there is a meltdown, warn that if it doesn't stop you'll be leaving. Then if it continues, you scoop up your child (grandchild), ignoring looks and comments from any ill-mannered passerby, and leave. Take him back to the hotel for some quiet time, and sacrifice whatever plans you might have had for the rest of the morning (or afternoon, or evening, whenever the tantrum happens). It's not going to be fun for either of you, but follow-through is the only way to show a kid that he is not in charge, and hopefully save the rest of your vacation from similar incidents.

My husband and I had to do this a few times when our children were toddlers, and although it was no picnic at the time, it worked. Our children had to learn that we weren't going to permit them to ruin other peoples' enjoyment of public places by acting inappropriately, and that when we threatened to go home from somewhere fun if they couldn't behave appropriately there, we meant it.

Last edited:

Dartha Stewart

Original Poster
I hate to tell you this but masks are not longer allowed a Disney Parks. You're going to have to build extra time for him to fix his hair into your morning routine
I had completely forgotten about Disney's no mask or face-covering policy. He'll just have to do without I suppose. He's managed before, and his hair does seem to always stay in place despite the circumstances.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom