When Other Guests Improve Your Experience

Mark P.

Before I even read past the topic title I was ready to say pretty much the same thing OP did. I've ridden Soarin', watched Illuminations, and experienced the castle "reveal" on Main Street USA dozens of times. It never gets old, but that experience is better when I stop and take a moment to witness others experiencing it for the very first time. The awestruck looks and exclamations never fail to bring a smile to my face. They don't know the barge will explode into fire, they aren't ready for that first drop on Splash Mountain, and they weren't prepared for the scent of roses. And when I realize that their reaction was mine so many years ago, I remember why I keep coming back and why it's so important to realize how lucky I am to have had so many repeat visits among the countless for whom their first WDW trip may well be their only one.

NEmickeyfan

A number of years ago a friend and I were at "Fantasmic!". While waiting for the show to start, I struck up a conversation with the couple in back of us. After we chatted for a bit, they mentioned that they had booked the Illuminations cruise for the next night. Since it was just the two of them, they asked if we would like to join them!! We did and had a great time. Their thoughtfulness gave us an experience I would probably have never done on my own.

Allym146

The opposite actually, the only time I've been at WDW for a week I begged my mom to get me a Mickey balloon since I could get "good use" (it floated in our room for 7 days lol) out of it and she said yes (I was like 7 or 8). So we get the balloon, and on check out day, I gave it to a little girl, like 3 or so, the balloon who had just gotten off DME. I think a lot of people do this who fly as well, since you can't bring it on the plane. I hope I enhanced her experience :)

I love this! If my nieces end up with balloons on our upcoming trip we will do this!

Jeremy P

First of all, thank you for making this thread. There's a LOT of negativity on these boards so I greatly appreciate the opportunity for people to share some good things.

Second, I think it always improves our experience when you run into people who want to talk to you while waiting for a show or in line for an attraction. We've talked to people from all over - some on their first trip and some on their 100th trip. I know not everyone enjoys chatting with new people and trust me, I turn into an introvert more and more every year but Disney brings out a side in me that makes me want to enjoy the company. It's easy to complain about rude and inconsiderate guests but there are so many that aren't and they really can be delightful to talk to. Especially when their kids want to tell you all about their trip so far.

Andrew_Animatronic

Striking up a convo with other guests is always great. On my last trip, I spoke with a young girl and her father from Israel who were visting Disney for the first time while we were waiting on line for Space Mountain. It was so cute how she was so captivated and entranced by her surroundings. When we got closer to the ride, we let them cut ahead so the little girl could be in front. First timers like them in Disney can sometimes make you remember how you used to feel, when everything was new to you too.

Dafid Duck

The few times we have been to Disney, we try to go during free dining and pay to upgrade to Deluxe Dining. We love all the extra experiences! But even after several 2 credit meals, like Candlelight Procressional or Aloha Luau, there are always credits left over. You just can't eat all the food in that plan. We have "bought" people snacks and candies just to keep from wasting credits. One time, just before midnight of our last day, we were searching for a couple so we could buy them dinner with our last two credits. At Casey's Corner, we found a young couple who were on their honeymoon! They were confused at first, but very appreciative.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
People decided to switch rows in Soarin'... So my fiance and I didn't have a seat.. We got a free Fastpass for waiting through another preshow. The one time when rude guest behavior actually pays off. No 90 minute wait for Test Track!

Launchpad McQuack

Tower of Terror....always better with screamers. We got talking to an American couple (we're from UK) in the queue and they were so over the top on the ride it was hilarious...the lady screamed, the guy was whooping...whole vehicle laughing at everyone else screaming.

Went single rider on Everest got paired with a guy who was told it was like BTM....also a screamer much to his parties delight in the cars in front. I just laughed all the way around.

Totally agree with the screamers making Tower of Terror better (assuming they're only screaming during the drop, not just throughout the whole attraction for no reason). Last time I rode, my wife had to sit out because she's pregnant (and also we have a daughter who is way too small to ride), so I was next to two women I didn't know. Not only were they screaming like everyone was about to die, but one of them reached over and grabbed my leg and was squeezing it for dear life. It wasn't until the drops calmed down that she realized what she had been doing and was so embarrassed. The picture was pretty good, with them screaming in terror and me laughing next to them.

Launchpad McQuack

Another time was last time I rode Rock n Roller Coaster. I was in the single rider line (once again because my wife couldn't ride, so I got put in with a family of three. The mom and teenage-looking kid were seated in front of me, and the dad (a 40-something year old guy) was next to me. As soon as the music started, it was clear that this was the attraction dad had been waiting for all day. He was immediately singing his heart out with every lyric and had his hands going to whole time like he was playing the drums. It was pretty great, and I can only assume this guy was the world's biggest Aerosmith fan.

21stamps

Three times-

1. A Stranger taking photos of me and kiddo at Poly's beach.. actually paid enough attention to get the castle in the photo! (Some people zoom too much)

2. A nice Responsible mother gave my son a band aid after he scraped his foot and was bleeding. (I left my mini first aid kit sitting on a bathroom counter at home).

3. At F&W one year myself and 3 of my girlfriends were in line for a drink, the guy behind us said "Add my drink to the order, I'm paying for all 5." Thanks Mr. Random!

KBLovedDisney

Years ago, before Test Track was refurbished, as my mom and I were walking into Epcot, an older couple asked us if we would like their Fast Passes (the old papers ones). Good times and very nice people

becca_

A couple gave my mom & I those unlimited FPs from the DVC tour that you used to get (you could put them into the FP machine & get a FP for that time I believe?) while in line at Test Track.

JohnD

That was the great thing about paper fastpasses is that if your plans changed you could give them to someone else and sprinkle a bit of pixie dust

My plans changed in 2013 when I was sick from heat exhaustion. I just wasn't up to riding Soarin'. I gave my paper FP to a CM and told him to give it to a lucky guest because I had to head back to the resort to rest.

JohnD

I had a coupon for $1.00 of Ghiardeli chocolate. In 2013, I was in the then-called DTD and gave my coupon to a father waiting in line as I had no need for it. He gave me a high-five and was thrilled to be saving money at Disney!

fauna

While riding IASW one time, there was an older couple in the row in front of me. They had a 6-8 month old baby with them- I'm guessing that mommy and daddy took big sibling on a ride and grandma and grandpa took the baby on her first IASW ride. Grandpa took a zillion flash photos- but they were so happy, clapping baby's hand, singing, laughing- I just couldn't complain. It just gave my heart joy to see them so engaged and happy with the little one.

MichRX7

Premium Member
We've done the balloon thing and that FP give away thing many times, and it is always a joy to see sincere appreciation and happiness on other family's faces when you do this. Our family is notorious for getting a spot in the front for a parade and getting all of our kids up front on the curb with the adults sitting behind them. Right near the parade start all the adults turn and invite all the families that came a little late to send their kids up to sit with ours and we 'trade spots' with them. You can see all their faces light up through the entire parade. At my age I enjoy that as much as the parade.

Jedi Stitch

I was with my best friend at DL, and while chatting it up with a nice couple at the Neon Cactus at the Disneyland Hotel, he had mentioned the line to Splash Mountain was long it kept breaking down. He really wanted to go on it this trip, but just couldn't get on before it seamed to break down again. They were flying out that evening, and gave us their return tickets for Splash Mountain. Totally made his 21st birthday.

Amidala

I think my favorite interaction w/ a guest was as a CM–not sure if this counts, but it was really sweet. While working MNSSHP (on a glow cart) a family came up to me and all of the little girls were wearing exact replicas of our MK halloween costumes, w/ the apron and bat headband. I was thrilled by this and complimented the girls on their outfits, and the mother on sewing all of them (by hand!) and the youngest girl gave me a hand-drawn card with a pumpkin, wishing me a happy halloween and thanking me for my work. It was by far the cutest thing I've ever experienced at the parks, and I still have the card (with all of the spelling errors and scribbly drawings) to this day.

In general, as a guest or as a CM, party nights are such a great way to meet new people. All the different costumes are a great ice-breaker for starting conversations, and everyone is just super excited to be there for the holidays (especially first time partygoers). And w/ the attraction lines so short and so few people roaming the park, guests feel much more laidback/less prone to being stressed.

Walt Disney1955

My dad got some hopper passes from another guest at the resort we were staying at and for whatever reason at the end of the night he went to City Hall to see if there were any unused days on there and there was. I guess this family wasn't aware of that, or they were and just wanted to unload them anyway but either way we went an extra unexpected day.

Also, in 1991 I was in line with our family for the Skyride. I loved that ride and miss it, but there was an older couple from France who couldn't speak a word of English but I knew French quite well at that time even though I was only 11. I remember speaking with them while in the line up. My parents tried to talk to them in English, hoping they might know a word or two but they didn't. I translated. Anyway, they were pretty excited that a European Disney was going to open up in 1992. To this day I still associate Disneyland Paris with that old couple from France.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom