What's the 'Best' Moderate Resort?

ParentsOf4

WDW has four Moderate Resorts (MRs):
  • Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR)
  • Coronado Springs Resort (CSR)
  • Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ)
  • Port Orleans Riverside (POR)
People have their favorites but which one is the best? Realistically, there is no such thing as 'best'. In this case, 'best' is a matter of preference. However, it might be interesting to try to objectively evaluate the four MRs.

Note: Although the Cabins at Fort Wilderness were reclassified as "Moderate" in 2008, these still are part of the unique Fort Wilderness campgrounds and don't fit neatly into any traditional Disney resort category. Therefore, they are not listed as an option in the poll.

Below is my attempt to rate the 4 resorts. (It's been several years since I last stayed at a couple; sorry if I forget something or if something has changed.) Please feel free to use whatever criteria you like.

Theming - All four resorts are extensively themed and well executed. Theming is consistent throughout the common areas, with plenty of lush vegetation. Which theming is 'best' primarily is a matter of taste. I award 1.0 point to each of the 4 MRs for this category.

Layout - POFQ is by far the smallest MR with all amenities within easy walking distance; 1.0 points. Although, POR is significantly larger, it's centrally located pool means it's a relatively easy walk from most rooms while the main building and food are still far from most rooms; 0.5 points. With large central lakes, most rooms are distant for the main facilities, 0.25 points to CBR and CSR.

Transportation - Compared to Deluxe or Value Resorts, bus transportation at the MRs are weak. However, accordingly to 'The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World', CSR has the best bus service of the four; 1.0 points to CSR, 0.5 to the other 3.

Pool - CSR and POR have large, interesting main pools with good water slides for children; 1.0 points to these 2 MRs. The main pool at CBR is slightly smaller and slightly less exotic; 0.75 points. The main pool at POFQ is significantly smaller with a water slide that's exciting for only the very young; 0.25 points.

Dining - POR has an excellent food court with a varied food selection and ample seating. POR also offers a good Table Service (TS) restaurant. 1.0 points to POR. CSR and CBR resort also offer good food court and TS options, although not as extensive; 0.75 points. POFQ has the smallest food court and no TS option; 0.25 points.

Rooms - All 4 MRs have identically sized rooms (314 sq ft) with nearly identical layouts. POR gets the slight advantage because its standard room can accommodate a 5th guest; 1.0 points to POR, 0.75 points to the other 3 MRs. (CSR offers suites but the prices of these go well beyond the typical price associated with MRs.)

Price - Although the MRs are priced similarly, the small POFQ tends to have the fewest, least agressively priced discounts offered; 1.0 points to CBR, CSR, and POR, 0.75 points to POFQ.

Other - All four offer various forms of entertainment for families; 0.5 points to each resort. POR also offers water craft rental, water transportation to DTD, and Bob Jackson at the piano bar, an additional 0.5 points to POR. POFQ also offers water transportation to DTD, an additional 0.25 points to POFQ.

Summary

Adding the above, the results are:
  • POR - 7.00 points
  • CSR - 6.25 points
  • CBR - 5.50 points
  • POFQ - 5.25 points
How do you rate the 4 MRs?

Foolish Mortal

Not sure how much my opinion is going to count since I've only stayed at Riverside (19 times). I love the Alligator Bayou section. If POR wasn't available I would go with FQ since I like the whole New Orleans vibe. CBR is way too huge and I'm not crazy about the Southwest theme of CSR.

Upvote 0

aw14

I have stayed at CSR twice and CBR once. Will be staying at POFQ the next time we go, so I will be able to give a better sense in a few months. Right now, I love the feel of CSR. Enjoyed the theme, and also have been fortunate that I was close enough to the main lobby and bus there that it was not a big deal. Plus, I felt it was the best pool by far for the moderates.

Didnt like CBR a lot as I felt that it was way too big.

Upvote 0

luvtink

I have stayed in all but CSR. Riverside is my favorite by far! The pool is wonderful! The landscaping and theming is great with all the trees and the "river" running the length of the resort. It was a great resort to just go for a walk. The food court was large and had great options. POFQ would be second. Great theming and it was close to RS. We actually walked to RS to eat. CBR would then be third. It was pretty around the lake but we went Feb '10 and it was so cold with the wind coming off the water. We couldn't enjoy any of the amenities. I think it would still be 3rd even if it were warmer. Glad we went but once was probably enough. CSR has never really interested me.

Upvote 0

Slobby Bobby

Have only recently stayed at CSR and we thought it was great. Can't comment on the others because we've never experienced them. We usually stay offsite but worked paid for the resort this time.

Upvote 0

TerranceMom

We love POR and POFQ! We like POR for the boat to DTD and the theme of the bayou.We like the pool and love the food court! POFQ, we love for the size. All the buildings are close and it never took a long time to get anywhere on property. THe pool, although small, was even great because DS is not a good swimmer. We've never stayed at CSR or CBR.

Upvote 0

stefan74

Based on pictures I have seen POR seems to be like old southern plantations. I am familiar and used to the French Quarter since I used to live/work in New Orleans so I would not want to stay their. I also would not want to stay at CBR because it seems to spread out and confusing. Coronado Springs just does nothing for me. I have passed it a few times and it just doesn't seem like Disney to me. I have never stayed in Moderates but if I did, the first moderate would be POR.

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

I have stayed in all of the Mods, though some stays were SEVERAL years ago when I was young. I would consider POFQ my favorite due to its size and theming. There may be some bias/nostalgia there because that's where my parents you to take me as "my" trip without my brothers when I was young. As someone else stated, I am not big on CBR because of its tropical theming given that I am from Florida, then again I have only stay there once when I was little. But I am a BIG fan of Riverside and Coronado and only have good things to say about both!

Upvote 0

John

For me it has to be POR, it is perfect for a "no kids" vacation. Yes there can be children staying at the resort but most of the time they are snuggled in thier rooms after 9:00 or so....most of the time! Although I like FQ the water area at POR is a little better. whats nice is that you can walk between both resorts....which can be very romantic. If you want to splurg a little, you can go on a VERY romantic horse drawn carriage ride.

Food court is very nice with a decent selection, Boatwrights is actually not bad either. Ashame they stopped serveing breakfast...they used to serve stufed french toast that was amazing. The lounge is great. Another poster mentioned Bob Jackson.....said something about the screaming kids....go a little later when the kids go back to their rooms...IMO Bob is one of those "best kept secrets".....He is very entertaining. Some people dont like him but most do.....heck some people dont like WDW...:shrug:

Its a nice clean resort, pay the extra cash and get a preferred room and ask for Aligator Bayu....we had building 15 and it was literally about 30 steps away from the main building. Bus service is.....well it is Disney, I really dont care what resort you stay at it is hit or miss.

I have stayed at Coranado and Carribean both. Didnt do much for me.... think thats because I had stayed at the other two before and it just wasnt the same.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Admittedly we have only stayed at POFQ and CSR but between the two I would totally choose CSR. Everyone has their own reasons for liking things but this resort fit us like a glove. We were in Cabanas 8B (preferred room category) so we were centrally located between the pool and the main building. The grounds were beautiful and well maintained and the pool is awesome. The only real critique I had was that they should look into alternative CFL lighting for the rooms as the lights they chose for the fixtures over the bed seemed more like they were best suited for an office environment...stark white and totally not relaxing at all. After a day in the parks though the beds were very comfy and having queen beds is a total plus. Bus service was also some of the best we have experienced at any resort including the deluxes.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

We initially booked CBR for our bounceback this September but once I found out they are the only mod that does not have updated Queen beds we switched back to Coronado Springs....I need to stretch out when I sleep!

Upvote 0

steveford

Hi, going back to POR in 6 days, we were there for two weeks last year and loved it. Does anyone know the email address or contact number for reservations? I need to see if we can go in the same building 95 as we were last year? Also has anyone split their holiday with a cruise in the middle? We are doing that and the luggage is staying at POR saves lugging it onto a ship when you are only away for 4 days, then going back to POR. although we are checking out I am trying to see how busy they are and see if we can keep our room open, I doubt it but hey ask and may get a surprise!!!

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I would call the reservation line, and I would do it today. Rooms are assigned several days before arrival, so the time to put in a request is now.

We'll also be checking in to Riverside in six days and are staying through the 10th. Have fun!

Upvote 0

taz0162

I voted for Riverside as having stayed at it when it was called Dixie Landings before the merge with Port Orleans was a great experience. We have since stayed at each of the value resorts but are trying Coronado Springs this December. I may change my mind after that trip but for now Riverside it is.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

People have complained about the size of CSR but honestly DD and I took a walk every morning around 7:30 while DW was putting her face on and we walked around the entire resort no problem. It was a great way to start the day together just she and I. We re-booked for next September and are looking forward to another stay there.

Upvote 0

tink65

We stayed at POR last year & fell in love with this resort. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and it's very peaceful. We loved the pools, food court, the walk between POR and POFQ and especially loved the boat ride to DTD. We are booked again this year and can't wait to see my home away from home in just 44 days!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom