What's the 'Best' Moderate Resort?

ParentsOf4

WDW has four Moderate Resorts (MRs):
  • Caribbean Beach Resort (CBR)
  • Coronado Springs Resort (CSR)
  • Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ)
  • Port Orleans Riverside (POR)
People have their favorites but which one is the best? Realistically, there is no such thing as 'best'. In this case, 'best' is a matter of preference. However, it might be interesting to try to objectively evaluate the four MRs.

Note: Although the Cabins at Fort Wilderness were reclassified as "Moderate" in 2008, these still are part of the unique Fort Wilderness campgrounds and don't fit neatly into any traditional Disney resort category. Therefore, they are not listed as an option in the poll.

Below is my attempt to rate the 4 resorts. (It's been several years since I last stayed at a couple; sorry if I forget something or if something has changed.) Please feel free to use whatever criteria you like.

Theming - All four resorts are extensively themed and well executed. Theming is consistent throughout the common areas, with plenty of lush vegetation. Which theming is 'best' primarily is a matter of taste. I award 1.0 point to each of the 4 MRs for this category.

Layout - POFQ is by far the smallest MR with all amenities within easy walking distance; 1.0 points. Although, POR is significantly larger, it's centrally located pool means it's a relatively easy walk from most rooms while the main building and food are still far from most rooms; 0.5 points. With large central lakes, most rooms are distant for the main facilities, 0.25 points to CBR and CSR.

Transportation - Compared to Deluxe or Value Resorts, bus transportation at the MRs are weak. However, accordingly to 'The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World', CSR has the best bus service of the four; 1.0 points to CSR, 0.5 to the other 3.

Pool - CSR and POR have large, interesting main pools with good water slides for children; 1.0 points to these 2 MRs. The main pool at CBR is slightly smaller and slightly less exotic; 0.75 points. The main pool at POFQ is significantly smaller with a water slide that's exciting for only the very young; 0.25 points.

Dining - POR has an excellent food court with a varied food selection and ample seating. POR also offers a good Table Service (TS) restaurant. 1.0 points to POR. CSR and CBR resort also offer good food court and TS options, although not as extensive; 0.75 points. POFQ has the smallest food court and no TS option; 0.25 points.

Rooms - All 4 MRs have identically sized rooms (314 sq ft) with nearly identical layouts. POR gets the slight advantage because its standard room can accommodate a 5th guest; 1.0 points to POR, 0.75 points to the other 3 MRs. (CSR offers suites but the prices of these go well beyond the typical price associated with MRs.)

Price - Although the MRs are priced similarly, the small POFQ tends to have the fewest, least agressively priced discounts offered; 1.0 points to CBR, CSR, and POR, 0.75 points to POFQ.

Other - All four offer various forms of entertainment for families; 0.5 points to each resort. POR also offers water craft rental, water transportation to DTD, and Bob Jackson at the piano bar, an additional 0.5 points to POR. POFQ also offers water transportation to DTD, an additional 0.25 points to POFQ.

Summary

Adding the above, the results are:
  • POR - 7.00 points
  • CSR - 6.25 points
  • CBR - 5.50 points
  • POFQ - 5.25 points
How do you rate the 4 MRs?

Buzz2001

I'd recommend CSR in a heartbeat! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price.

CSR has queen beds and the rooms are gorgeous. The rooms also have a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play).

Amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club. Beginning in 2013, CSR will offer club level rooms to regular guests.

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great and all located in one area at the main pool.

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

Upvote 0

luv

Theming
CSR B+ ... Buildings are very well done. Excellent job on making me feel transported to different places. And the transition from one area to another isn't too jarring.
CBR A- ... (will be A when they fix all that fencing crap). I just love the theme here. Even the little smoking courts are adorable with their beachy looking tables, chairs, umbrellas. Excellent landscaping. Excellent everything.
POR B- ... Calm. Greenish. Fine. Love the main areas, especially the water wheel.
POFQ B- ... Very romantic at night. Pretty during the day.

Layout
CSR C+ ... People who have to walk to the food court when they're tired have a longish walk and it is much easier to get lost here than at the others.
CBR B ... Pretty easy to find your way around, but people still get lost walking around their building, trying to find their room. One building connects to the other...it happened to me once, way back when, too.
POR B ... Easy to get around, but has tree frogs that can fall down from the trees and attack me while I walk the path at night.
POFQ B+ ... This may be one of its biggest strengths. And the lovely colors of the buildings don't hurt.

Water Views Can't give an opinion on Transportation, so i changed this category to one that onterests me that you didnt have, lol. for Transportation, I'll give them all Cs, because I hear equal complaints about all of them. CSR gets a C- because they have those little golf carts but don't tell anyone how to utilize them. Maybe they tell convention people.

CSR A ... lovely, lovely water views. Pretty when it is sunny, gorgeous when it is cloudy. May be my favorite part of the place.
CBR A- ... also very pretty. When you're across from the food court and stuff on a cloudy day, that is great, too.
POR. C- ... most water views are small canals that aren't too great...on the ground floor, you have to work hard to see any water. Much better than a parking lot, but still.
POFQ A- ... not as striking as CSR or CBR, but very pretty and more relaxing.

Pool
CSR B ... The big pool isn't bad at all. Smaller pool - nicely landscaped, but too busy with screaming children.
CBR A- ... Big pool is good. Smaller pool - so many of them! But nothing special.
POR A- ... Big pool is good. Smaller pool - again, many...slightly more relaxing than those at CBR.
POFQ C+. Nothing special. Nothing horrid.

Dining
CSR D- ... Food isn't bad or good, but hate that fee for sitting in the food court! And am I supposed to tip the silverware/drink guy or not?! That card business is extremely confusing for newbies. And the staff at the various counters gets a 44% for politeness, friendliness and helpfulness.
CBR C ... Waits are ridiculous. Food tends toward bad and much doesn't open until dinner.
POR A- ... (would be plus if you didn't have to wait 30 minutes for pasta bar
POFQ C ... Don't like it much. Don't dislike it. Not much selection. Meh.

Rooms
CSR C...plain, dark and boring
CBR D...too cartoony
POR mansion D...too funeral parlory
POR AB. B- ...meh. Fine.
POFQ...B. Nice.

Price - they're all close enough. CSR does add that damned food court fee, though.
CSR D
All the others C

Other - CBR is, IMO, the happiest, cutest one. Cheerful buildings, music, etc. I love the place. I just could not stand the Nemo rooms. :(. The gift shop is not the best, unfortunately. It was my favorite. I hope they get rid of that Nemo crap.

CSR is a little romantic at night and has a really decent gift shop. But I detest being charged to sit in a freaking food court. I hate having to use my key card two times every time I come back to the room. Once is bad enough. I don't even understand the point of the second gate. Serves no purpose except to inconvenience guests. Grr.

POR AB is awesome. I wish you could guarantee AB rooms. POR has THE BEST food court and a very decent gift shop. The bar is slightly annoying with Yeehaw Bob and all the kids doing their thing, but it is Disney. I guess even some bars need kids yelling in them. The front desk staff here is routinely the dumbest on property. I don't know if this is where they train people or where they send the dumb ones or what. Maybe it's just my bad luck and not a real problem.

POFQ has the pretty buildings and is, IMO, the most romantic at night. It's a nice place to walk. Nothing else is remarkable in any way, IMO. I end up going here because...

CSR generally es me off and has boring rooms.
CBR has those cartoony rooms.
POR has those mansion / funeral parlor rooms.

If CSR dropped the food court fee and re-themed the rooms, I'd go back there.
If CBR just fixed the rooms, I'd fly back there.
POR just let me guarantee AB.

POFQ it is...even though I don't like it much, lol. I used to stay in the mods a lot more often before the changes. I just realized why I added the Values to my list of acceptable places. So, thanks!

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

I have stayed at all of the moderates, so I don't think I am biased

1. POFQ- my favorite by far and just returned from my 2nd stay there, and it was wonderful once again! I love the new room refurb and the beds were comfy. The boats to DTD from POFQ & POR are really great!

2. POR- I stayed here a few years ago and I will be staying here Nov 2013 in the Royal Guest Rooms. The resort is huge, but has a better pool, food court and I love the gift shop there even though that isn't a deciding factor at all.

3. CSR- Stayed there in 1998 and wasn't a fan. We were in the furthest room possible, so walking anywhere was a hike! The rooms have been refurbed and are by far the best looking out of all the mods.. they did a great job!

4. CBR- Stayed there once and that was enough for us.

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

1.Riverside
2.French Quarter
3.Caribbean Beach
4.Coronado Springs (seriously have to be the ugliest rooms I've ever seen in my life).

Haha, the rooms at Coronado Springs actually have the same color scheme as our master bedroom, so I obviously like them. I still put French Quarter first because its compact size means a lot to me, but I think Coronado Springs has a lot going for it too. The fact that they have room service and a fitness center is great. For me, it's Caribbean Beach that would be dead last by a wide margin. It's so garish and its bus service was miserable for us. We've only stayed there once, but those four nights were more than enough.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Haha, the rooms at Coronado Springs actually have the same color scheme as our master bedroom, so I obviously like them. I still put French Quarter first because its compact size means a lot to me, but I think Coronado Springs has a lot going for it too. The fact that they have room service and a fitness center is great. For me, it's Caribbean Beach that would be dead last by a wide margin. It's so garish and its bus service was miserable for us. We've only stayed there once, but those four nights were more than enough.

Oops. Sorry.:oops:

Don't worry. My wife painted our room the ugliest possible color imaginable.

I guess the "deluxe amenities" that CSR offers just don't appeal to me. I stay at Deluxes and never step foot inside the fitness centers. I get enough exercise at the parks. And room service has to be the single biggest rip-off in the entire travel industry.

Upvote 0

wiigirl

POFQ would be my personal choice.
75.gif

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

I'm not surprised POFQ has a very small lead in early voting. People seem to love it's small size and theming even though it don't offer some of the amenities of the other Moderate Resorts. For anyone who voted for POFQ, why is it 'better'?

I'm more surprised CBR is trailing so badly. As the original Moderate Resort (opened in 1988), it looks like Disney did a better job with later resorts. Why do people think CBR has so few fans?

The thing I disliked most about CBR was the size of the resort. It has seven internal bus stops, just too much. Also, I really disliked the layout. Having to walk across a parking lot to get from our bus stop to our room was just kind of unattractive, in my opinion.

Whenever I list faults for French Quarter, the only ones I can think of are the lack of a table service restaurant and the unimpressive food court. But the thing is, you can walk to Boatwright's at Riverside from anywhere at French Quarter in less than ten minutes. That's faster than you can get there from some rooms AT Riverside. Pair that with the alternate transportation to Downtown Disney, which CBR and CSR don't have, and buses direct to the Magic Kingdom that don't share with any other resorts or have to run a long internal loop, and I really do think French Quarter has the most to offer.

Upvote 0

plaz10

Port Orleans French Quarter for 1 big reason - SIZE. It's so little. And you are close to all buildings. It's a wonderful feeling to get off a bus and know that even with a stop to fill up your mug - you'll be in your room in 5 minutes.

But when I stay at Art of Animation next March and have to walk SO LONG to get places - don't remind me of how small POFQ is or I'll cry. Hahaha

Upvote 0

pixargal

I have been fortunate to have stayed in all the moderates on property and think they are a great value for the theming and amenities that you get. CBR would be my least favorite because of the tropical feel. I grew up in Florida, so it doesn't do much for me, but I do like the food court and pool. CSR is beautiful, love the theming, but I do not like the food court. POR is my favorite because I love the woodsy feel, it feels so homey and welcoming, and I think it has a good food court.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Its so hard to say...you know One guys stays someplace and has an amazing time The next guy stays at the same place on the same day and catches a cast member on a bad day and You have two totally different experiences.

Im a dvcer now but stayed at The pofq a few times before we bought in and I had great experiences every time.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

I will be staying at POFQ for the first time next Sept, Ive only ever stayed at Deluxes so I'm a bit nervous!
POFQ is a bit quieter than PORS. The theme is different of course. The grounds are beautiful and the best part is the boat to DD!:) The room entries are outside though, so it still has that "motel" feel. The slides are a nice touch to the pools. I would stay at POR in the new Royal rooms because they're newer and a bit nicer, but otherwise I think you'll enjoy it.:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom