What will come first a 5th disney park or a 3rd universal park?

Mike S

@Mike S There were reports about Universal creating a Monorail system to connect all the parks and resorts - just a crazy rumor? Also, Lord of the Rings coming to Universal ?
First off, I'm no insider. I just remember and bring up what insiders have said. That being said I think I do remember something like a PeopleMover being discussed that would connect the current parking garage to wherever the third park would go. Does anyone else remember this? Also LotR I'm pretty sure isn't happening any time soon because the Tolkein estate doesn't want to give up the theme park rights.

Mike S

I'm going for the first time this September- join me! :)

That said- I'm extremely excited- mainly for Harry Potter. But I'm also tampering my expectations. As much love as Uni gets on this forum, it's because of their commitment, time frames, and volume of rides being pushed out. And while the new rides have great reviews and Harry Potter is completely immersive- I'm fully expecting the immersiveness (made up word) to end there.
I'm expecting the rest of the theme park outside of Harry Potter to be very amusement park like with nowhere near the cohesion of MK or DAK. Basically DHS with more quality rides
I've been to an amusement park recently (SFGA). Uni outside of Potter is still WAY above that, especially IoA.

JT3000

I'm expecting the rest of the theme park outside of Harry Potter to be very amusement park like with nowhere near the cohesion of MK or DAK.

This DAK?

dinolandusa-1024x768.jpg

I think you'll be surprised. Universal has a bit of an issue with intrusive sight lines, and the studio park is... well, it's a studio park (a real one!), but the theming still equals or bests Disney in many areas, much less an amusement park.

Last edited:

matt78

It would be a bad idea for them to put Harry Potter in a third park. The way they have it setup now is brilliant w/ the hog warts express- it's smart and it works perfect. Putting a potter attraction anywhere else would be sloppy and not make sense on how you get there.
At this point- they have two options- build next to DA or build next to hogsmeade.
Fear factor or disaster! Go for it- let's make a ministry of magic. Telephone booths can take you there, and you can do a flume ride or MOM battle, etc.
For IOA- take out sinbad and add the forbidden Forest that connects to hogsmeade.

Those are just my armchair ideas. :)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set in the US. I have heard that the American version of Hogwarts is likely to make an appearance in one of the 3 movies. They could easily add that without having any of the problems that you mentioned.

jloucks

Just curious which one do you think is more likely to come true first and break ground?

Based on supply issues I would say from an economic standpoint WDW would add another park first.

WDW is maxed out on Supply. The parks are jammed, all the time, even on 'off-dates'. I know this has been my experience as I tried to only select these dates and was greeting with jam packed parks. WDW has become a global destination and as such there is always a 'spring break' somewhere in the world.

WDW has a choice;

1) Do nothing, parks will get nightmarishly packed
2) Increase price. This will decrease demand and ease the pressure on supply a little.
3) Add supply. ...as in, add a park. ...or significantly expand a park.

My very recent trip to Uni was a pleasant surprise. The park was not super packed (exception, Harry Potter sections). Uni is not out of supply, so building a new park makes less sense to me.

However, the supplemental model (parasitic) Uni uses off WDW would also benefit from another park. They could stand to leech another day from WDW visitors that way.

...good question tho! Still leaning towards another WDW park.

BrianV

No, this DAK

maharajah-jungle-trek-00.jpg

060514_disney-animal-kingdom-harambe-nights-feat-1.1.jpg

So just to be clear- you're saying that IOA is going to be more immersive and themed better overall as DAK?

I find that extremely hard to swallow but I'll be able to judge it for myself in a few months.

Dinorama sucks. No doubt. But there isn't a better park as a whole at WDW (in terms of theming, obviously, not rides)

Unlike DAK, IOA isn't based on a single theme. In that way you are correct, DAK has a better theming because it is ALL animals. But in each of the "island" at IOA, it is pretty darn immersive. I guess all I can say is check it out. I think you'll be surprised.

HauntedMansionFLA

No, this DAK

maharajah-jungle-trek-00.jpg

060514_disney-animal-kingdom-harambe-nights-feat-1.1.jpg

So just to be clear- you're saying that IOA is going to be more immersive and themed better overall as DAK?

I find that extremely hard to swallow but I'll be able to judge it for myself in a few months.

Dinorama sucks. No doubt. But there isn't a better park as a whole at WDW (in terms of theming, obviously, not rides)
I love all of DAK - Dinorama is cool. I always think I'm going to go off the tracks on prime.

HauntedMansionFLA

Based on supply issues I would say from an economic standpoint WDW would add another park first.

WDW is maxed out on Supply. The parks are jammed, all the time, even on 'off-dates'. I know this has been my experience as I tried to only select these dates and was greeting with jam packed parks. WDW has become a global destination and as such there is always a 'spring break' somewhere in the world.

WDW has a choice;

2) Increase price. This will decrease demand and ease the pressure on supply a little.

My very recent trip to Uni was a pleasant surprise. The park was not super packed (exception, Harry Potter sections). Uni is not out of supply, so building a new park makes less sense to me.

However, the supplemental model (parasitic) Uni uses off WDW would also benefit from another park. They could stand to leech another day from WDW visitors that way.

Disney needs to fix DHS and EPCOT before thinking about another park. EPCOT has so much potential and Star Wars land, Pixar at DHS will take pressure off the MK.

jloucks

Disney needs to fix DHS and EPCOT before thinking about another park. EPCOT has so much potential and Star Wars land, Pixar at DHS will take pressure off the MK.

This is going to sound nutty until you think about it,, but they don't need to fix anything. That would increase demand even more!

Do you really want more people jamming up the parks? Fixing things is for when something is broken. Based on demand, nothing is broken.

JT3000

This is going to sound nutty until you think about it,, but they don't need to fix anything. That would increase demand even more!

Do you really want more people jamming up the parks? Fixing things is for when something is broken. Based on demand, nothing is broken.

Have you considered applying for a job as a WDW executive? I think you'd really go places.

Just because the customer base have standards that exist in perpetual freefall, it doesn't mean nothing is broken. The loyalty of Disney's consumers is WDW's biggest weakness.

R W B

I hope neither comes first and that Disney and Comcast go 50/50 on a real life Juriassic World Theme Park!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...

WDW has a choice;

They don't need to add a park. They need to add things to do IN the parks.

The original rides in Futureworld at EPCOT were 15 - 25 minutes long. This is key because it EATS up your day. A short example, Horizons was around 15 minutes, Mission Space is around 5. World of Motion was around 15 minutes, Test Track is around 5. Journey into Imagination was 11 minutes, Journey into Imagination with Figment is 6 minutes. And THAT is a large reason why Futureworld feels boring and pale. You used to be able to get lost in Futureworld all morning, and sometime around mid-afternoon you'd finally be making your way back to World Showcase to explore that. But, not any more!

The same goes for Hollywood Studios. At one point, the Backlot Tour took up half a day! (it was 3-4 hours long). You'd generally spend your morning doing the tour (if you knew the park) and then the afternoon doing the shows and rides.

But, now...it's got barely anything to fill a day. Heck, even now it makes Animal Kingdom look like a full day experience, when really both parks are not.

WDW DOES have a choice, and that choice is clear. The PATH is clear, and is evidenced by DCA. They want people on site, they want them to stay around and spend money at Disney and stay "in the bubble"...but, what they are LACKING is stuff to do OUTSIDE of the Magic Kingdom.

And, slapping a Frozen Ride, while it will be popular, into Norway...isn't the fix. For one reason...it didn't ADD anything outside of draw. The ride system doesn't have better capacity, the location is already cramped (the Maelstrom queue was terrible, and though they are making a new one, that whole pavilion doesn't handle crowds well due to its layout), and as a result it will turn into Soarin' or Toy Story Midway Mania...meaning, long lines for a mediocre ride.

lazyboy97o

WDW has a choice;

How can supply be maxed when Walt Disney World has two parks worth of offerings spread across two parks?

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

As a shareholder, you're right.
As anyone who goes to theme parks to, you know... have fun, you're the problem.

jloucks

To those that disagree with me, and there were several, You're all missing my point. Totally. If they make it 'better' without increasing supply, it will either be miserably packed or ticket prices will skyrocket.

I'm 100% fine with double or triple ticket prices to free up supply. Are you?

So what? You want a perfect park that is cheap and not not crowded?

You can have 2 out of 3
1) cheap
2) high quality
3) not crowded

Only way to do that is increase supply. ...as in add another park. ..hence my original statement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom