what was the best WDW guest meltdown you've observed

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Between the closed fist, the very minor offense (if you can even call it that), and the look of fear on the young boy described, I'd say YES, this was an attempt at abuse and not discipline.
Yeah, as indicated, I spoke/commented without reading the context. Being over snarky on my part. I agree with @LAKid53 's comment in retrospect.

Again, apologies.

It's what I get for opening my big mouth and inserting my foot. (grin)

G00fyDad

Honestly, and not being judgmental, but, staying offsite, I spend about the following. I'll break it down to 3 people.

Breakfast Buffet in any # of places on 192 = $9.00 (1) $27.00 (3)
Lunch in the parks (QS) = $15.00 (1) $45.00 (3)
Dinner offsite for meal and break = $30.00 (1) $90.00 (3)
Daily charge for hotel = $70.00 (1) $70.00 (3)

Total per day = $144.00

Total spent on purchases for a week = $50.00 (1) $150.00 (3)

And I get to see the same stuff in the parks as everyone else. If someone can afford to throwaway spend that much money just to say that they "did it onsite", well, I cannot relate, but, I certainly don't think it is wrong to do, just something that I would never do.
I have no desire to spend huge amounts of money for mediocre food especially if it comes with college kids in foam head wandering around. There is nothing that I have seen onsite in the line of food that I cannot get easily, without reservations and about an 8th of the cost offsite. Souvenirs of Disney I can get at Walmart or Target for a 3rd of the price. The are all stamped with the Disney label, just like onsite.

Well are you just a little ray of sunshine? You do it your way and I'll do it my way. I'll keep throwing away my money if that's the way you see it.

Goofyernmost

Well are you just a little ray of sunshine? You do it your way and I'll do it my way. I'll keep throwing away my money if that's the way you see it.
Although that is the way I see it, I purposely stated that others may not, so unbunch your knickers, I was not attacking, I was stating that there are options. If one doesn't want to pay that much they don't have too. In that sense, yes, I am a ray of sunshine.

G00fyDad

Although that is the way I see it, I purposely stated that others may not, so unbunch your knickers, I was not attacking, I was stating that there are options. If one doesn't want to pay that much they don't have too. In that sense, yes, I am a ray of sunshine.

Yes you were. Not overtly, but you were doing so all the same. It's called passive aggressive. and by the following comment from you it was pretty obvious that it was a "dig" at me for "throwing away" money. You and I both know that if you were not attempting to be passive aggressive about it you wouldn't have gone through the trouble to strikeout the word. You would have left it out altogether.

If someone can afford to throwaway spend that much money

Goofyernmost

Yes you were. Not overtly, but you were doing so all the same. It's called passive aggressive. and by the following comment from you it was pretty obvious that it was a "dig" at me for "throwing away" money. You and I both know that if you were not attempting to be passive aggressive about it you wouldn't have gone through the trouble to strikeout the word. You would have left it out altogether.
OK, if that makes you feel better. I spend my days worrying about how you spend your money. No wonder I can't get any sleep.

If I must explain, I crossed out throwaway, because although that is how I feel about it, I know others don't, hence the word "spend" after it. If you read my posts enough you would know that I don't passively aggress anything. To me it's throwaway, to others it's necessary. However, for those minor people that cannot afford to spend that much and have never been and don't know the options, the other side needed to be shown. I know you don't believe it wasn't personal and there is nothing I can say that will change your opinion of that, but, frankly you are wrong in your assessment of my intentions. I don't think that there was anything passive aggressive about that previous sentence. Put the amateur psychology book away, in this case a cigar is just a cigar.

Cosmic Commando

My wife and I don't have children so maybe it's not for me to comment, but I'm going to anyway. Unless that teenage boy had learning difficulties of some sort, they should have either made him suck it up and stay or just told him he's not eating then and made him wait. Bowing down to a tantrum like this and rewarding him by giving him what he wants will only make it harder later in life for him when he doesn't get what he wants. A boy his age should also show more respect for his family (especially in public) and I can't help thinking his bad upbringing has helped create this little monster in the first place.
If something like that did happen to me, it wouldn't be beneath me to lie to the problem child or at least be noncommittal in order to get them out of the restaurant without incident. Then, I'd give them the what-for in some place more open. Thankfully, I haven't had too many giant blowups; my kids are more the sulking type. My kids are obsessed with everything being "fair", and I could totally see that same thing happening in my family, just without the meltdown. But my oldest is 8, not a teenager.

Our very first trip to Disney was our honeymoon, and we ended up on the receiving end of an epic rant from a very angry woman who told us we were setting a bad example for her kids and ruining everyone's vacation by cheering for Chernabog in the Spectro Magic parade.
That's actually the funniest thing I've read all day. I don't know why but it just made me laugh.:happy:

threvester

Honestly, and not being judgmental, but, staying offsite, I spend about the following. I'll break it down to 3 people.

Breakfast Buffet in any # of places on 192 = $9.00 (1) $27.00 (3)
Lunch in the parks (QS) = $15.00 (1) $45.00 (3)
Dinner offsite for meal and break = $30.00 (1) $90.00 (3)
Daily charge for hotel = $70.00 (1) $70.00 (3)

Total per day = $144.00

Total spent on purchases for a week = $50.00 (1) $150.00 (3)

And I get to see the same stuff in the parks as everyone else. If someone can afford to throwaway spend that much money just to say that they "did it onsite", well, I cannot relate, but, I certainly don't think it is wrong to do, just something that I would never do.
I have no desire to spend huge amounts of money for mediocre food especially if it comes with college kids in foam head wandering around. There is nothing that I have seen onsite in the line of food that I cannot get easily, without reservations and about an 8th of the cost offsite. Souvenirs of Disney I can get at Walmart or Target for a 3rd of the price. The are all stamped with the Disney label, just like onsite.
You forgot$17 for parking among other things...nice selective itemizing

Goofyernmost

You forgot$17 for parking among other things...nice selective itemizing
Fortunately for me you went ahead and remembered it for me. Doing the math I don't see a lot of difference in the outcome. If you want you can even add in a car rental if you want. It's still a better outcome. The trip I was quoting was with my own car, so you can add in gas and wear and tear as well. Still better.

BTW, I didn't selective itemize... I lined up with the previous selective list. Plus added in lodging.

mergatroid

If something like that did happen to me, it wouldn't be beneath me to lie to the problem child or at least be noncommittal in order to get them out of the restaurant without incident. Then, I'd give them the what-for in some place more open. Thankfully, I haven't had too many giant blowups; my kids are more the sulking type. My kids are obsessed with everything being "fair", and I could totally see that same thing happening in my family, just without the meltdown. But my oldest is 8, not a teenager.

Well that makes sense and is not something I'd thought of.to be honest. Here am I criticising their parenting skills when in fact they could have been employing some pretty smart tactics to combat the little scallywag.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It always amazes me the dramatic reactions and over dramatizing of some people.

maybe next the hand dipped Ice cream store sponsored by EDDYs will become a DAIRY QUEEN and instead of fresh baked cones they will have average cake cones. Maybe we can replace the resturants in EPCOT around the world with CRACKER BARREL and DENNYS. Come on folks you know this is wrong.

IowaHawks7

One of the funniest meltdowns I ever saw was when I visited in Spring 2013. It was on my class trip and we were eating at Sunset Ranch in HS. This lady started berating the CM because Disney could not seperate the peanut butter from the jelly in the Smuckers Uncrustable. The CM kept explaining to her that it was prepackaged and already made. Yet the lady kept yelling saying she thought Disney would do anything for the guest. The CM simply explained this was something they were unable to do. The lady then asked for the Leader and they came out and said the same thing. They did explain the options for a peanut allergy and the poor woman just kept yelling and freaking out over this saying she did not want anything else. I have no idea what ended up happening but it was just ridiculous and my friends and I could not help but laugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom