What is it the Universal does BETTER than Disney?

MKCP 1985

quick answer is "not much" but in fairness I really like the Spider Man attraction and Disney doesn't have anything like it.

Also, Universal does roller coasters better than Disney, in my opinion.

elisatonks

Disney has made a wise choice and gone for a family enviroment with most attractions avaliable for everyones enjoyment - and this has been and will always be disney's aim.

Universal is great for thrill seekers, but ain't so good for those with children, have injuries that prevent you from going on many rides or have limited mobility, or those who ain't into thrills. (I have a back injury and my DH has limited mobility and there is very few attractions at universal that we can both go on compared with 40+ at disney.) Universal also has a lack of overall land theming, yes the theming of the rides is great but outside of the attractions no so good. (harry potter is the only area were there will be any consistant theming of a land.) Becasue of this i don't visit universal that often - maybe once every few years.

The only plus for me at universal is that there QSR locations are overall better than Disney but the Table services are a whole lot better at disney.

Also disney's guest service is 100% better, you don't have the photographers malestering you, Merch persuding you to buy, like you do at universal. (Disney hires the best people in the area for its cast, then the other orlando attractions end up with the rest.)

Lee

Adventurer
I'm not gonna read the whole thread, so I'm sorry of I'm repeating others.

But,
Universal lets you buy an AP and spread the cost out over 12 months.
Universal has a place for adults.
Universal has Mythos (excellent meal without characters....genius!)
Universal doesn't aim most new attraction at toddlers.
Universal has good coasters.
Universal has Halloween Horror Nights.
Universal isn't afraid to be cutting edge.

Everything else....edge goes to Disney.:D

Honestly, I love them both. Go to both regularly. Hopefully I'll never have to make a real choice between the two...

Figment632

What Uni dies better

Thrill rides
Night life
Adult stuff like the Halloween stuff

What Disney does better
Theming 100% better in WDW
Shows
Parades
Making rides an immersive experience
Food
Characters
Hotels
And they have a monorail!

toystory 3

I might not be the right person to talk to about this because I am not a big fan of coasters but Universal has Comic Book Character rides! Six Flags tries to do this but fails miserably.

yankspy

So, to you:

Magic Carpets@MK>Spiderman@IOA? And if they switched, Spiderman would automatically become better due to it's new surroundings?

I think some people are bringing nostalgia in. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I don't think anyone could put forth an argument that would convince me that Universal hasn't been better in recent years than Disney.
The thing is that Universal will eventually catch up in that department as well. I am bringing my son for his first trip in October and Universal will not be able to match the feeling of riding the HM for the first time with my son. However, later generations will be able to have that feeling about spiderman, etc.
I'm not gonna read the whole thread, so I'm sorry of I'm repeating others.

But,
Universal lets you buy an AP and spread the cost out over 12 months.
Universal has a place for adults.
Universal has Mythos (excellent meal without characters....genius!)
Universal doesn't aim most new attraction at toddlers.
Universal has good coasters.
Universal has Halloween Horror Nights.
Universal isn't afraid to be cutting edge.

Everything else....edge goes to Disney.:D

Honestly, I love them both. Go to both regularly. Hopefully I'll never have to make a real choice between the two...
Oh how I long for the days of King Stefan's banquet hall.:slurp:

captainkidd

And yet is incredibly detailed the entire way. There are still 3-D set pieces throughout the entire attraction, incredibly detailed ones at that. And "the queue consists of some clippings in frames"? Did you walk the queue with your eyes closed? It's a recreation of the Daily Bugle, and a heck of a good one at that.

I've seen it. I know what it is. It's not even remotley on the same scale as Everest or Mission:Space.

You've obviously never walked through Jurassic Park. Or Lost Continent. Or Dueling Dragon's queue. Or experienced MIB, JPRA, Mummy, Spider-man, Jaws, Terminator, or Pop-eye, all of which contain Disney level of theming and details, and some even blow Disney attractions out of the water in that respect.

Walked through both. Experienced all those attractions. Again, you're confusing technology with detail. Pop-Eye is well themed??? Have you ever been on Kali River Rapids? Jaws is not well themed, but in it's defense, it's also very old. The Jungle Cruise is themed better than it. Terminator, again, it's all about technology. I'll take Mickey's Philharmagic anyday.

Oh, sure there are AAs, but it doesn't negate the fact that a good chunk of the ride is blind turns in the dark with nothing to see, where as JP is great set piece after great set piece.

I didn't think Jurassic Park's set were great at all. In fact, I was very surprised that the ride was completely conceived by Steven Speilberg, due to the lack of theming.

Well let's see. Mummy's queue is maybe a notch below Everest's, but the fact that Everest has about 3 show scenes completely negates the greatness of its queue, where as Mummy's ride takes the queue to the next level. I don't care how much stuff is in the queue if said ride lacks substance. I like EE a lot. If the yeti was working it's great, but I'd still take Mummy, with it's actual SHOW scenes, over it any day.

The Mummy is the best ride at Universal, hands down (in my opinion). I won't argue that with you. Everest is great, but Mummy is an amazing experience.

How are they not comparable!? They're both interactive arcade-like rides. And TSMM opened a good while after MIB, and yet MIB is still the superior attraction.

I don't think they're comparable because Disney wasn't looking to compete with MIB with the ride. Disney doesn't look to compete with Universal period. That's the thing people don't get. They're different parks and different experiences. I'm taking my family to Universal for 2 days, and Disney for 13. Why? Because Disney does families better. Period. There is VERY little at Universal for the under 5 set.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There is absolutely nothing and I mean NOTHING that Universal can ever create that will match or ever outdo the absolute MAGIC, extreme talent and absolute joy that every single DisneyWorld attraction and parks bring to the table.

Right because Triceratops Spin is soooooo much better than Spiderman because it's in a Disney park, right? :shrug:

Skip

I've seen it. I know what it is. It's not even remotley on the same scale as Everest or Mission:Space.

Spider-Man is not on the scale of Everest or Mission:Space in terms of theming? Everest has an impressive exterior and entertaining queue, but the actual ride has ONE themed room (the brief "temple" segment on the main lift) and the rest being a bunch of generic rockwork. I don't believe I can see any of the support structures on Spider-Man... you complain about Spider-Man being on all screens, yet Mission:Space is one of the most underwhelming screen-based attractions yet! It has minimal theming with the exception of the decent queue! In terms of immersion, technology, family-friendly thrills, and fun, Spider-Man (IN MY OPINION) trumps any ride found at Disney. But there is no denying that its theming is not as good as Everest or Space, that's just silly.

Walked through both. Experienced all those attractions. Again, you're confusing technology with detail. Pop-Eye is well themed??? Have you ever been on Kali River Rapids? Jaws is not well themed, but in it's defense, it's also very old. The Jungle Cruise is themed better than it. Terminator, again, it's all about technology. I'll take Mickey's Philharmagic anyday.

Kali River Rapids has a cool looking temple with a preachy loggers section... and an embarassingly short, boring ride. Popeye instead clearly tells a story while immersing you in the cartoon environment - and it does that very well while still giving you a fun, thrilling river raft ride.

Jaws isn't well themed? Did you just stare at the water the whole ride? A whole community is built around the island and ride, with a church, graveyard, beach, gas station & dock, power lines, houses, boats, and docks! I suppose all of the equipment and knick knacks inside the creepy Boathouse don't constitute as theming, either? Jungle Cruise is well themed and a very nostalgic ride, but to say Jaws has no theming is ridiculous.

Finally, Terminator - what? It's all about technology? It combines some animatronics, 3D imagery, and some spectacular live action, all seamlessly combined... the film it's based on is a classic and attraction itself is impressive and fun. That's great that you prefer Philharmagic, as that's a fun attraction as well, but you're blatantly snorting Pixie Dust here... Terminator is in no way a bad attraction.

I didn't think Jurassic Park's set were great at all. In fact, I was very surprised that the ride was completely conceived by Steven Speilberg, due to the lack of theming.

I'm about ready to give up on this... lack of theming? What? Throughout the whole ride you're immersed in the Jurassic Park atmosphere, with some of the locations taken straight from the movie, with huge, larger than life set pieces (the Ultrasaur, the raptor cage, the Hadrosaur, and the T-Rex come to mind). This is what Dinosaur should've been like - 100% immersion.

The Mummy is the best ride at Universal, hands down (in my opinion). I won't argue that with you. Everest is great, but Mummy is an amazing experience.

Finally, something I can agree with you on. This thread seems to be inevitably steering towards the "Disney trumps all" mindset...

krankenstein

Yeah, Universal's theming is horrible! Just look at it:

2005_0403granddaddyandClaire0043.jpg

DSCN2214.jpg

DSCN2211.jpg

DSCN2202.jpg

DSCN2292.jpg

DSCN2288.jpg

DSCN2280.jpg

DSCN2296.jpg

DSCN2274.jpg

:lookaroun

Blackie Pueblo

Ok, this thread is very interesting and made me evaluate my love of Disney. I wanted to make sure that I haven't been brain washed or blinded by my love for Disney and this thread really helped me do that. I am still a huge love of Disney always will be. I still think the parks are ten times better and it is definitly a different world. And Disney DOES have a more world wide appeal. Very few families come from lets say Norway to visit US. At least not as their first choice.

This could take a bit so bare with me, and please read what I say with an open mind and don't hate on me.

With that being said I thought about US and what is better. The first thing I thought was yes, prices are so much better. I mean the ticket sales are almost the same (still over priced for everything else you still have to pay for) but for Florida residents (like myself) there is a better deal. Same with the passes. Granted you get four not two, but still. I always thought Disney is losing out financially on this. They are already making a killing and still the top vacation parks. So why not prove how great they are and how much they care about families by charging a little less than parks under them. I have this fear that blue collar workers like my wife and I who are avid Disney fans will eventually not be welcome to Disney anymore and it will be like in Jurassic Park where only the rich will be flown into this exclusive vacation area.

Universal does have an appeal and caters to Adults a little better than Disney. Disney is really pushing the family fans. Universal seems to do a pretty good job catering for both. From Nickalodeon rides and shows, to roller coasters. It caters really to BOTH demographics. They still have City Walk a great place for dancing as my wife and I love. Disney tore down Pleasure Island. By doing that you have alienated the night life for my wife and I. That includes the Halloween events. There really isn't too much soley for Adults anymore. Universal has events and attraction for both.

Also their idea of a park about Hollywood... ACTUALLY has a theme about Hollywood! There is more respect for the idea of movie making. Imagine! For a movie fan like myself I find myself more immersed in Hollywood and the idea of Hollywood than that MGM, er, Disney's Hollywood Studios.

And Yes, everything is so much closer. I don't have to wait for busses that are suppose to be every 20 minutes and usually are not.

But one little thing I want to say. I don't know about the upkeep like a lot of you say. Everytime I go I see more things needing paint jobs, or abandoned buildings, or rides breaking down a lot more than Disney. Just my what I have seen.

"The important thing is the family.If you can keep families together-and that's the back bone of our whole business, catering to families-thats what we hope to do."
---Walter Elias Disney

captainkidd

Yeah, Universal's theming is horrible! Just look at it:
Where did anyone say that Universal's theming was horrible?

I don't think this thread is showing that Disney fans are snorting pixie dust. I think it's showing that those who prefer Universal can't see why others may not share their opinion. The Disney fans are giving Universal their due credit, which they deserve, while Universal fans are pretty much saying Disney's simply not comparable.

If IOA is the far superior theme park to the Magic Kingdom, then why do almost 4 times as many people visit the Magic Kingdom every year?:shrug:

captainkidd

Ok, this thread is very interesting and made me evaluate my love of Disney. I wanted to make sure that I haven't been brain washed or blinded by my love for Disney and this thread really helped me do that. I am still a huge love of Disney always will be. I still think the parks are ten times better and it is definitly a different world. And Disney DOES have a more world wide appeal. Very few families come from lets say Norway to visit US. At least not as their first choice.

This could take a bit so bare with me, and please read what I say with an open mind and don't hate on me.

With that being said I thought about US and what is better. The first thing I thought was yes, prices are so much better. I mean the ticket sales are almost the same (still over priced for everything else you still have to pay for) but for Florida residents (like myself) there is a better deal. Same with the passes. Granted you get four not two, but still. I always thought Disney is losing out financially on this. They are already making a killing and still the top vacation parks. So why not prove how great they are and how much they care about families by charging a little less than parks under them. I have this fear that blue collar workers like my wife and I who are avid Disney fans will eventually not be welcome to Disney anymore and it will be like in Jurassic Park where only the rich will be flown into this exclusive vacation area.

Universal does have an appeal and caters to Adults a little better than Disney. Disney is really pushing the family fans. Universal seems to do a pretty good job catering for both. From Nickalodeon rides and shows, to roller coasters. It caters really to BOTH demographics. They still have City Walk a great place for dancing as my wife and I love. Disney tore down Pleasure Island. By doing that you have alienated the night life for my wife and I. That includes the Halloween events. There really isn't too much soley for Adults anymore. Universal has events and attraction for both.

Also their idea of a park about Hollywood... ACTUALLY has a theme about Hollywood! There is more respect for the idea of movie making. Imagine! For a movie fan like myself I find myself more immersed in Hollywood and the idea of Hollywood than that MGM, er, Disney's Hollywood Studios.

And Yes, everything is so much closer. I don't have to wait for busses that are suppose to be every 20 minutes and usually are not.

But one little thing I want to say. I don't know about the upkeep like a lot of you say. Everytime I go I see more things needing paint jobs, or abandoned buildings, or rides breaking down a lot more than Disney. Just my what I have seen.

"The important thing is the family.If you can keep families together-and that's the back bone of our whole business, catering to families-thats what we hope to do."
---Walter Elias Disney

I think what you're saying makes perfect sense. There are things Universal does better, no doubt. Disney is not the end all be all of everything. When it comes right down to it, comapring attractions is just stupid. If you're more into Universal's approach, of course you're going to think their attractions are themed better. If you're into Disney's approach, you'll prefer Disney's. Common sense.

I've only been to Universal twice. Once was back in 1996, before IOA and the resort hotels, and once was last year. I was skeptical, but had a great time. I think with the space they have, they've done an awesome job. I think Universal Studios is a far superior park to DHS. City Walk clearly has PI beat now. IOA, not sure what to say. It didn't blow me away. Again, I'm not a huge thrill ride junkie either. The Popeye raft ride - 10x more fun than Kali. Kali - 10x better themed.

We stayed at Hard Rock last year. Very nice hotel. Was it as nice and inviting as the Wilderness Lodge? Not even on the same level. We're trying the Royal Pacific this year.

I really enjoy Universal. It's a lot of fun for a couple days. I simply don't get the same feeling that I get at the Disney parks. I'm a grown man and watching Wishes on Main Street at night chokes me up a bit.

Dumbo#1fan

Disney is so much better than Universal! I would much rather ride da Disney rides than ANYTHING at Universal!!!

J/K

I really do like Universal because they push the envelop a lot more than Disney. Yeah, some of the rides are really intense, but they really are unique. Plus, The Monster Makeup Show is, IMO, one of the best theme park shows I have ever watched.

Skip

If IOA is the far superior theme park to the Magic Kingdom, then why do almost 4 times as many people visit the Magic Kingdom every year?:shrug:

Nostalgia, brand appeal, and Magical Express/Magic Your Way. :lookaroun Just because a park has better attendance doesn't mean it's the better park. You said yourself Universal Studios is better than Hollywood Studios... guess which one has more attendance?

(Me thinks people don't like comparing attractions because Universal often triumphs; with the exception of Tower of Terror/FearFall, that is.)

captainkidd

(Me thinks people don't like comparing attractions because Universal often triumphs; with the exception of Tower of Terror/FearFall, that is.)

Me thinks that's not true at all.

I think The Mummy is better than Everest. I prefer Big Thunder Mountain to both of them.
ToT versus Freefall - Obvious.
MIB versus Buzz Liteyear - I'd give that to MIB.
Popeye's Rafts versus Kali - Popeye is a better raft ride, while Kali is much better themed.
ET versus Peter Pan - Peter Pan wins hands down.
Dudley Do Right versus Splash Mountain - Splash.
Jurassic Park versus Dinosaur - I think Dinosaur is far more intense, and the effects are better.
Shrek 4D versus Mickey's Philharmagic - Mickey.

If anyone says Disney is better at everything, they're nuts. And vice versa.

agent86

Agree 100%! Usually when someone pulls out the old "You just can't compare the two... it's like apples and oranges", then it's generally meant to distract from the fact that it's an example of someone else doing something better than Disney.

jonnyc

...while Universal fans are pretty much saying Disney's simply not comparable.

I think some of this could be attributed to sections of these boards who consistantly dismiss Universal in all threads without actual reasons for their opinion. Some of which have never actually been to US or IOA.

I definately feel that it could be a result of frustration. This is not aimed at you personally as i have enjoyed reading your detailed arguments, albeit that i do not agree with them.

krankenstein

I definately feel that it could be a result of frustration. This is not aimed at you personally as i have enjoyed reading your detailed arguments, albeit that i do not agree with them.

That's my problem. Nothing is directed at the good Captain (nor do I want him to feel like it has been), but this debate just gets OLD! It has been done so many times, with the same responses constantly. I wish people would search sometimes instead of starting threads like this over and over and over and over......

*sigh*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom