What Hasn't Been Used

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So with Disney pulling a Universal on us with Avatarland... It got me thinking... Why would Disney need to use a film that they don't even own the rights to? I would imagine that Disney will one day buy the rights.. But as of now, why? Disney has a TON of films that can be made into some VERY popular attractions... Especially more popular than Avatar. Obvious ones include...

1. The Incredibles (Thrill Ride - Spider Man/Transformers Style Attraction, Tomorrowland)
  2. Zootopia (Dark Ride - Animal Kingdom)
  3. Inside Out (An entire pavilion. AA show, 4D film, Simulator Ride, Stage Show, EPCOT WOL)
  4. Big Hero 6 (Thrill Ride - Spider Man/Transformers Style Attraction, EPCOT)
  5. Maleficent (Dark ride or a maze - Magic Kingdom, Fantasyland)
  6. Oz the Great and Powerful (Magician stage show and walk-through attraction, HS)
  7. Wreck-it Ralph (4D film, impressive video game exhibit. EPCOT, Innoventions building)
  8. Brave (Boat Ride - Magic Kingdom, Adventureland)
  9. Tangled (Dark ride, Magic Kingdom - Fantasyland -get rid of speedway-)
  10. Tron: Legacy (Thrill ride - EPCOT, Test Track re-theme)
  11. The Princess and the Frog (Live Musical Show - Magic Kingdom)
  12. Up (Simulator ride, Hollywood Studios)
  13. WALL-E (4D Film, EPCOT, Circle of Life Theatre)
  14. The Chronicles of Narnia (An entire land with attractions - Animal Kingdom or HS)

And thats just a few that could work... Heck, I'm actually shocked that Disney never though to make a land themed to Narnia. Because honestly, those books/films are almost as popular as the Harry Potter series... Almost.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

So with Disney pulling a Universal on us with Avatarland... It got me thinking... Why would Disney need to use a film that they don't even own the rights to? I would imagine that Disney will one day buy the rights.. But as of now, why? Disney has a TON of films that can be made into some VERY popular attractions... Especially more popular than Avatar. Obvious ones include...

1. The Incredibles (Thrill Ride - Spider Man/Transformers Style Attraction, Tomorrowland)
  3. Inside Out (An entire pavilion. AA show, 4D film, Simulator Ride, Stage Show, EPCOT WOL)
  6. Oz the Great and Powerful (Magician stage show and walk-through attraction, HS)
  7. Wreck-it Ralph (4D film, impressive video game exhibit. EPCOT, Innoventions building)

And thats just a few that could work... Heck, I'm actually shocked that Disney never though to make a land themed to Narnia. Because honestly, those books/films are almost as popular as the Harry Potter series... Almost.

I don't think Disney has the rights to Narnia anymore. I'm pretty sure they belong to 20th Century Fox now, but I can't be sure.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
Good listings but, first off, how exactly does Narnia fit in DAK, I know AK was supposed to have animals that don't exist, and one ride was going to be themed to Fantasia, but the Narnia franchise is generally a fairy tale saga like Shrek. Second, I know Brave is supposed to be about an adventurous princess, but she already has a show in Fantasyland. Also, why not have The Incredibles at DHS, and Torn at the MK, I'm sure those would work better over there. And, before deciding to make an attraction out of something, check the rating first.

If Avatarland can fit in Animal Kingdom then Narnia should fit in perfectly as well. Attractions would be themed to the various animals/landscapes from the series. Much like how Avatarland is doing... Not a military base. (Or is that restaurant still a rumor..?) So I think Narnia fits in as a mythical-animal land just as well as Avatar fits in as....As...Whatever it's supposed to be.

Brave does have a show... But it's more of a "meet and play" type of thing. Not a full attraction. And The Incredibles being in MK is just an opinion. I think The Incredibles would fit well in Tomorrowland, replacing Stitch. Tron would be an easy replacement theme for Test Track, with that really long track outside and such... And, before deciding whether or not an attraction will be popular based on the movies rating, you should check the "ratings" of other popular attractions based on films (Song of the South, Transformers..) I've said this a bunch of times.. A ride/land does not have to be based on an extremely popular/highly rated movie to be a very popular attraction at a theme park. It just has to be done well. Much like how hardly anyone knows who Dudley Do-Right is, but he has one of the best log flume rides ever over at Universal.

Have a magical day, Mr. Smart Alex c:

DisneyFans4Life

I've seen it mentioned here a few times that the Tomorrowland Speedway should be changed to Candy Crush Racers...so that could take care of Wreck-It-Ralph.

Test Track is pseudo based on Tron now, but I also think it could have a cool presence in Tomorrowland at MK. Big Hero 6 could also fit well in Tomorrowland and replace Stitch or the Laugh Floor.

I agree with you that movie ratings don't necessarily have to be high to have a successful attraction. If Avatar Land is done well...it won't matter what the first movie did, people will still come. Heck...my wife and I have never seen Avatar, but we're still looking forward to seeing the land. It's about being emersed in a new world, whether a movie made $100 million or $2 million...if being in that land makes you feel like you're actually there...then that's all that matters.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I agree with you that movie ratings don't necessarily have to be high to have a successful attraction. If Avatar Land is done well...it won't matter what the first movie did, people will still come. Heck...my wife and I have never seen Avatar, but we're still looking forward to seeing the land. It's about being emersed in a new world, whether a movie made $100 million or $2 million...if being in that land makes you feel like you're actually there...then that's all that matters.

Exactly! And on top of that, Disney has proven that film popularity doesn't matter, if the attraction sucks or is not amazingly well done... Lilo & Stitch to Stitch's Great Escape, Finding Nemo to The Seas with Nemo & Friends ride, Lion King/Aladdin takeover in Enchanted Tiki Room...

Big names don't draw big crowds... Great quality draws big crowds. More examples can include the classics themselves such as The Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Spaceship Earth... A popular attraction is a lot different than a popular movie.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
And fair point on the Transformers ride, but come on, everyone knows that is way better than Michael Bay's flicks.

So you get what I'm saying then... Doesn't matter how crappy or relevant the movie is as long as the ride is good and up to quality. ;)

Miru

13. WALL-E (4D Film, EPCOT, Circle of Life Theatre)
  14. The Chronicles of Narnia (An entire land with attractions - Animal Kingdom or HS)

I think that in Disneyland, Zootopia would be great for Critter Country.
15. Kingdom Hearts (Stage Show, Future World or Fantasyland, also DCA.)
16. Gargoyles (Suspended rollercoaster, Liberty Square or Hollywood Studios)
17. Treasure Planet (Premium attraction, Downtown Disney)
18. The Emperor's New Grove (comedic stage show in a hotel)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom