What has become of Disney?

Tom P.

You agreed to it when you gave them your personal info to begin with and took the tracking device they have given you and put it on your arm. All of this shows knowledge and consent. This is just a weird discussion.
Exactly. Besides which, it's not that your only option is "wear the MagicBand or don't go to Disney." They are still perfectly willing to give you a Key to the World Card just like before if you don't want to use the MagicBand, and they plainly say so in information all over the place. The card works with the short range readers, like the entry turnstiles and FastPass+ entry points, but is not capable of being detected by the long-range readers. So for anyone who doesn't want to be tracked by the long-range readers, they have that option easily available. Choosing to use a MagicBand is making a conscious choice to allow Disney to use that technology.

JoeV

Original Poster
No. You have got me wrong. I didn't ask the question to say that you shouldn't be talking about MBs. Discuss away! It was a sincere question. I couldn't figure out why the OP wrote quite a bit about how problematic MBs are only to then say, but there's nothing wrong with them. I'm confused about the point he is making.

You came on the discussion mid-stream. The discussion we were having was not about technical issues with the bands, which I had. It was about Disney using them to track movements around the park or what purchases are made, which I personally have no problem with. I am getting the impression that some people here are trying too hard to look to find things to argue about, rather than just discussing things. I really have no interest in the former.

JoeV

Original Poster
The crowds this September had nothing to do with school breaks, unless we're discussing foreign school schedules here. I would venture a guess that 85% of the crowds were foreign visitors.

A CM told us that their marketing overseas was becoming more and more effective and it looks like he was right. Marketing + discounts = crowds.

That could be true. Based on accent or languages I heard on the shuttle buses and in the parks, it seemed like a majority of park goers were visiting from South America or England. I noticed that tour groups were also a bit common. There was one very large group of folks I think was from either Argentina or Brazil. I noticed as they were very loud and were singing a lot in the lines for the rides.

wendysue

If they didn't respond to yours, they won't like mine either. Am here this week a and will make the best of it but then am SO over Disney! Was a total Disney lover, but right now would rather be at work. Have given my last hard earned dollar to this place. Adios all...

rucifee

If they didn't respond to yours, they won't like mine either. Am here this week a and will make the best of it but then am SO over Disney! Was a total Disney lover, but right now would rather be at work. Have given my last hard earned dollar to this place. Adios all...

Disney may not be interested in your story but I bet many of us, myself included are. Talk to us. :)

JoeV

Original Poster
Maybe it's that they are interested but just don't have the resources to deal with the volume of people with comments or complaints. Which goes back to my point that perhaps the franchise has grown too popular too quickly for their own good. Disney of the past vs Mega Disney of today. At least that's my impression. They have trouble keeping up with the pace.

rucifee

Maybe it's that they are interested but just don't have the resources to deal with the volume of people with comments or complaints. Which goes back to my point that perhaps the franchise has grown too popular too quickly for their own good. Disney of the past vs Mega Disney of today. At least that's my impression. They have trouble keeping up with the pace.

I know for a fact that it's staffed by part timers, I have a couple of them on speed dial and their working hours are listed in their voice mail. It takes a long time for them to get back to you, it took around 6 weeks for a problem that I had to be resolved.

bpadair32

We were waiting for our ADR at Sci Fi last month and this girl was sitting in the stroller being pushed by her mother. You've all seen my pictures in my TR. You've seen how tall my son has grown. This girl was almost as tall as him. She would sporadically get out and walk and she appeared to be absolutely normal. She was far from the only kid that we saw that had no business being in a stroller.

I know that there are a lot of kids that IMO are way too old to need a stroller. That being said, you should be careful with the judgements. My DD will spend a pretty good amount of time in a stroller this trip and you would probably think that she looks perfectly normal and too big. The thing is that 1. she is very tall for her age. She just turned 4, at her check-up they had to get out the 5 year old growth chart just to chart her and she was still in the 97th percentile. 2. She has autism. While she will walk a lot of the time, there are times that she is going to need to put on her headphones, sit in the comfort of the stroller and get a sensory break.

My point is, you can't always tell by looking what is going on.

JoeV

Original Poster
I know for a fact that it's staffed by part timers, I have a couple of them on speed dial and their working hours are listed in their voice mail. It takes a long time for them to get back to you, it took around 6 weeks for a problem that I had to be resolved.

Well, I am sure they have a system that sorts the issues and prioritizes them. Most likely they devote immediate attention to people having issues in the parks or resorts themselves. The other issues or questions they probably have a queue where they are taken in order received. When I was in college I used to work a customer service for a hotel chain and that's pretty much how it worked. If someone called with an issue that required immediate attention(messed up reservation) they were given priority status. People calling to say they didn't like the food at the restaurant you just apologize politely and try to get them off the line.:joyfull:

ScarletBegonias

I know that there are a lot of kids that IMO are way too old to need a stroller. That being said, you should be careful with the judgements. My DD will spend a pretty good amount of time in a stroller this trip and you would probably think that she looks perfectly normal and too big. The thing is that 1. she is very tall for her age. She just turned 4, at her check-up they had to get out the 5 year old growth chart just to chart her and she was still in the 97th percentile. 2. She has autism. While she will walk a lot of the time, there are times that she is going to need to put on her headphones, sit in the comfort of the stroller and get a sensory break.

My point is, you can't always tell by looking what is going on.

Same thing with my Nephew. He's 5 but looks like he's 7. Easily. Super tall. My mom rented him a stroller on this last trip, because what kid is used to walking 8-10 miles a day? Heck, even most adults aren't used to it. My nephew was in that stroller A LOT that week. It kept him happy, and shaded and he didn't turn into a whining, unhappy kid and ultimately our family was able to stay longer, and do more. He did his fair share of walking but he also got tired and sat in the stroller. As long as he's behaving, I'm not sure why It bothers others.

jloucks

That's just the thing, they are not having trouble so much as just choosing not to do so. They have no problem providing and expanding lodging which would to go hand-in-hand with expanding the parks. ..but no. It is not a lack of money. It is not a lack of know-how. I am not sure what it is. I am not sure why they are expanding demand (lodging) and keeping supply fixed (park sq footage).

jloucks

This is probably just semantics now and depends on how people define privacy. I am not talking about someone taking your picture. I am referring to private personal information that is not normally available to the public and would require them to gather such information by covert means without you knowing and approving. This is illegal. Doesnt matter who you are or if you are on their property. If you dont give permission, nobody is entitled to this private information. You could go to jail, for a long time.
Semantics are everything when it comes to this. How you define information, how you define privacy, how you define personal, all up for interpretation. It doesn't take much of a mistake on your part to free up a lot of your private information for the whole world to see. You know those win a car booths you see at the malls and amusement parks and everywhere? Ever fill out a card? Yea, you just released that information for all time to the entire planet. Information is big business. Selling it is big business. Never falling for a plot to access and disperse your own private information is, well, impossible. Your private information is out there. There is no getting it back currently.

Oh, and tracking down the leak of your information is usually impossible, so 'going to jail' is not an option.

French Quarter

You came on the discussion mid-stream. The discussion we were having was not about technical issues with the bands, which I had. It was about Disney using them to track movements around the park or what purchases are made, which I personally have no problem with. I am getting the impression that some people here are trying too hard to look to find things to argue about, rather than just discussing things. I really have no interest in the former.

Ummm... I have been here the whole time. I didn't come in midstream. Just to recap: Your initial complaint was about having technical issues with MBs and as the thread has gone on, you have added more and more complaints and concerns about MBs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom