What accessories do you run with?

dreamfinder

Outside? Road ID always, and FuelBelt for anything longer than 6, or if it's really friggin hot. May look into something larger to carry more fluids since that seems to be my major issue, but Camelback's flop too much on me when running. My Garmin if I care, if it's LSD or i'm on vacation, I may just eyeball something on GMapPedometer beforehand and have at it. One of those big honking wrist sweat bands, and sunglasses, both as needed. Electrolyte tabs for anything over an hour.

Inside? Water bottle w/Gatorade always, anything over an hour I'll have a second with just water. Electrolyte tabs for anything over an hour.

Definitely part of the keeping it (somewhat) simple and low key group. Gave up music years ago, and I just make sure someone knows the route I'm running w/my estimated return time and leave the phone at home. You can skip a fancy schmancy watch if you just learn the landmarks on your route. And then use a plain old watch and see how long it takes to get to the old oak tree. Or the elementary school. Etc. Especially when you are just starting off, it's better to just get out there and get going, than having to double check a million different things.

I have a silly question - the Road ID is for if something happens to you so your info is on there?

It's the equivalent of taping your name and phone number on your kids shirt while they are at WDW. ; ) Or even a dogtag. It's something like 5 lines, 80 characters a line, and you can put whatever you can fit. Most people do something like their name, any known medical issues, and emergency contact info. Mine is the ankle model. I already have enough crap on my arms already.

TrolleyFollower91

Please get one. I cant go do anything without mine. I feel that if something happened, it is my responsibility to get back to my family the best way I can, and not to sound like commercial, but if I cant speak, it does. Sam wears one while riding too.

Thanks Joel for turning my attention to these. I'd never heard of them before and just put my order in this morning. Never can be too careful!

JillC LI

I have a silly question - the Road ID is for if something happens to you so your info is on there?

Yep. Contact and medical info in case you're not conscious to tell anyone.

@JillC LI I have this, in red for medical and someone would see it. I have name, year i was born, hospital, Sam mobile number and name, NKA - ORG DON - blood type.

I like the wrist version. It is very coMfy and I dont even notice it. This make it washable, or, I just wear it in the pool on Fridays and let the chlorine do its job. :) I like this webbing type version instead of the rubber products for the wrist.

Nick has this one and it is on his vest. Naturally a black band.

Please get one. I cant go do anything without mine. I feel that if something happened, it is my responsibility to get back to my family the best way I can, and not to sound like commercial, but if I cant speak, it does. Sam wears one while riding too.

Thanks Joel. I don't think I want the wrist one because I wear the Garmin on one wrist and I always put a wristband on the other wrist to wipe sweat off my face. I think the ankle one would annoy me, so I guess I'll just try the shoe one and hope it doesn't flap around. I suppose I could add an extra safety pin if it does. Thanks for pushing me to do this - I have been remiss all this time, particular since I have 3 drug allergies. And OF COURSE Nick has the black one! LOL

Edit - just ordered it!

Ariel484

I'm looking up these Garmin watches b/c they tend to be the most used. Pricey little things aren't they! I think I might be asking for one for my bday. :)

Check out the Forerunner 10. It's Garmin's newest watch and is the most affordable...

...however there's a reason that it's the most affordable. It's got only the most basic features (no heart rate monitor option, for example) and the shortest battery life (5 hours with GPS). But lots of people love it, and BONUS - it comes in different colors. :)

ETA: And FWIW, my Road ID has (from the top of my head, might be leaving something out)

My Name and year I was born
Town that I live in
Contact information for my husband and mom
No Med HX/No Allergies
Blood type and that I'm an organ donor

It might be overkill but with all the space they give you to put stuff I just tried to cram in everything that I could.

Texas84

Can't emphasize RoadID enough.

Will carry water over 5 miles (iFitness)
Garmin Forerunner 610
runDisney cap
Prescription sunglasses
Zensah leg sleeves at half marathon or longer
Phone

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
Check out the Forerunner 10. It's Garmin's newest watch and is the most affordable...

...however there's a reason that it's the most affordable. It's got only the most basic features (no heart rate monitor option, for example) and the shortest battery life (5 hours with GPS). But lots of people love it, and BONUS - it comes in different colors. :)

ETA: And FWIW, my Road ID has (from the top of my head, might be leaving something out)

My Name and year I was born
Town that I live in
Contact information for my husband and mom
No Med HX/No Allergies
Blood type and that I'm an organ donor

It might be overkill but with all the space they give you to put stuff I just tried to cram in everything that I could.

Is the heart rate monitor part that important?

Ariel484

Is the heart rate monitor part that important?

Hmm...I've never used one. I think it's really more personal preference but someone else can feel free to chime in.

Here's a super-detailed review of the FR10 in case you're interested...I actually bought this watch in November but ended up returning it because I wanted the longer battery life for the marathon (I knew it would take me more than 5 hours since I always stop for lots of character pictures :)):
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

One great feature for newer runners is the walk/run function. You can program in the time that you want to run, then the walk time and it'll alert you to let you know when it's time to change from running to walking and vice versa. Really nice if you're using a Galloway or Couch-to-5K plan.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
Hmm...I've never used one. I think it's really more personal preference but someone else can feel free to chime in.

Here's a super-detailed review of the FR10 in case you're interested...I actually bought this watch in November but ended up returning it because I wanted the longer battery life for the marathon (I knew it would take me more than 5 hours since I always stop for lots of character pictures :)):
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-10-fr10-gps-watch-in.html

One great feature for newer runners is the walk/run function. You can program in the time that you want to run, then the walk time and it'll alert you to let you know when it's time to change from running to walking and vice versa. Really nice if you're using a Galloway or Couch-to-5K plan.

Thanks! Since i'm running the half, and need to get lots of accessories, I think this is a great one to start with. :) I love that feature! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Ohhh, character pictures! Is there someone there - like photopass photographers that take them or how does that work!

Ariel484

Thanks! Since i'm running the half, and need to get lots of accessories, I think this is a great one to start with. :) I love that feature! That is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Ohhh, character pictures! Is there someone there - like photopass photographers that take them or how does that work!

If the pictures are important to you I'd suggest bringing a small point-and-shoot camera to carry with you as you run. As far as I know there are no Disney Photopass photographers along the course...the only ones you'd come across would be the ones that are normally out in the park, but for the half the parks won't be open yet.

There are normally 2 character attendants at each stop. While the runner in front of you is getting their picture taken by Character Attendant #1, Character Attendant #2 will take your camera and start getting ready for you to take your picture. You jump in to get your photo taken by Character Attendant #2 and meanwhile Character Attendant #1 takes the camera of the runner in line behind you...etc. The lines go very fast because of this system and the fact that there are no autograph books. Most of the characters will have the official race photographers from MarathonFoto as well. After the race you'll get an email with a link to your official race pictures from MarathonFoto. HOWEVER, like I said, if the pictures are important to you it's best to bring your own camera. The MarathonFoto people won't be at every character, so you could potentially miss out on some pictures if you don't have a camera. Also, they were AWFUL for the marathon this year - lots of people were disappointed with the quality and variety of the photos. And lastly...they are very expensive. So yeah, in my opinion, while it's annoying to carry a camera it's definitely the way to go if you want those photos. :D

disneygirl76

Original Poster
If the pictures are important to you I'd suggest bringing a small point-and-shoot camera to carry with you as you run. As far as I know there are no Disney Photopass photographers along the course...the only ones you'd come across would be the ones that are normally out in the park, but for the half the parks won't be open yet.

There are normally 2 character attendants at each stop. While the runner in front of you is getting their picture taken by Character Attendant #1, Character Attendant #2 will take your camera and start getting ready for you to take your picture. You jump in to get your photo taken by Character Attendant #2 and meanwhile Character Attendant #1 takes the camera of the runner in line behind you...etc. The lines go very fast because of this system and the fact that there are no autograph books. Most of the characters will have the official race photographers from MarathonFoto as well. After the race you'll get an email with a link to your official race pictures from MarathonFoto. HOWEVER, like I said, if the pictures are important to you it's best to bring your own camera. The MarathonFoto people won't be at every character, so you could potentially miss out on some pictures if you don't have a camera. Also, they were AWFUL for the marathon this year - lots of people were disappointed with the quality and variety of the photos. And lastly...they are very expensive. So yeah, in my opinion, while it's annoying to carry a camera it's definitely the way to go if you want those photos. :D

Thanks! I was thinking of bringing my phone - it takes great pics for that. But maybe a point and shoot would be good too. Thanks!

bethram

I run with:

my garmin 305
road id
my phone/music
pepper spray

I run at 4:15am alone so last time I was at my parents' house they bought me pepper spray to run with.

I have the ankle Road ID, without looking at it it contains: my name and year I was born, the town I live in, contact information for my husband. I didn't think to have my allergies put on it, but I put them on DHs when I made his. Luckily none of my allergies are life threatening.

I don't run with water, but I do take gu gel with me on runs longer than 7-8 miles. I am thinking about getting a water bottle to carry with me as we've got some longer runs coming up during warmer months.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
I run with:

my garmin 305
road id
my phone/music
pepper spray

I run at 4:15am alone so last time I was at my parents' house they bought me pepper spray to run with.

I have the ankle Road ID, without looking at it it contains: my name and year I was born, the town I live in, contact information for my husband. I didn't think to have my allergies put on it, but I put them on DHs when I made his. Luckily none of my allergies are life threatening.

I don't run with water, but I do take gu gel with me on runs longer than 7-8 miles. I am thinking about getting a water bottle to carry with me as we've got some longer runs coming up during warmer months.

Excellent! Thanks!!! :)

dreamfinder

To build off of what @Ariel484 said, many character stops do have photographers at them. And last year these were Photopass photographers (at least some of them were) but they are working for Marathonfoto. Now remember, not all PP staff is really well trained in photography, and most are used to shooting with a defined set of settings on the camera. And usually with controlled lighting as well when it comes to characters. So some might not be as good at character shots as you would hope. When in doubt, get bring your camera as well. It never hurts if you are going for pictures.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Glad to see people ordering this product. Im not a "Must wear helmet walking down the street" type guy but if there is a product that could potentially save my life and get me back to my family, Im going to get it. Even though my iphone is heavy (not literally, but after 3 hours it feels like a brick) I carry it since sam knows my iCloud log in and she could track me if need be.

disneygirl76

Original Poster
To build off of what @Ariel484 said, many character stops do have photographers at them. And last year these were Photopass photographers (at least some of them were) but they are working for Marathonfoto. Now remember, not all PP staff is really well trained in photography, and most are used to shooting with a defined set of settings on the camera. And usually with controlled lighting as well when it comes to characters. So some might not be as good at character shots as you would hope. When in doubt, get bring your camera as well. It never hurts if you are going for pictures.

Thanks!!! Great advice! And good point out our beloved PP photographers! :)

Sweet Melissa

It could come in handy if someone creepy is following you too, it's like a small fire extinguisher size can of pepper spray. It's pretty much standard issue outdoor equipment here in Montana, it clips to your belt. Honestly, it's mostly precautionary every bear I've encountered has run away from me, but it's good to be prepared.
Where in Montana are you? We relocated to Billings last year. When you said "bear spray" I thought, "She must be in the mountain west!"

Sumrdog

Where in Montana are you? We relocated to Billings last year. When you said "bear spray" I thought, "She must be in the mountain west!"
We live in the Northwest corner by Glacier Park. We moved out here from NH 14 years ago and we love it. My only big issue here is the short growing season but I have managed to get several hundred pounds of tomatoes out of my garden for the last 5 years, now that I have it figured out.

Sweet Melissa

We live in the Northwest corner by Glacier Park. We moved out here from NH 14 years ago and we love it. My only big issue here is the short growing season but I have managed to get several hundred pounds of tomatoes out of my garden for the last 5 years, now that I have it figured out.
As far south as we are, the short growing season frustrates us too. Our tomatoes do well, but leafy greens are difficult. The herbs and even peppers do ok.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I apologize if this comes across as cluttering the threads, but I posted in What Did You Do? thread as well, I just want to get rid of this easily before having to go through eBay etc.

I have a Polar RS100 running watch with Heart rate monitor chest strap. $100 retail, and I used for about 9 months. If anyone is looking to get a good beginner watch, Im selling for $50 + shipping (depends on how fast you want it). Served me well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom