West park security checkpoint moving and new ones being added

Darkbeer1

All DLR hotel guests can use the GCH entrance, not just GCH guests. That of course may change, but as of today, anyone with a room key from any of the 3 hotels can use that entrance.

NO, that is not correct, while they are being lax at the gates, to step onto GCH property from Disneyland Drive (aka PPH) you have to show a GCH key, or a name on the reservation list they have for the restaurants.

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Disneyland-Resort-12152016/i-HSb7gZF/A

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Disneyland-Resort-12152016/i-qKj8VRZ/A

Darkbeer1

I never had trouble getting the full hour of EMH before. But then we knew not to use the DCA entrance at park open.

We'll be watching how this unfolds over the coming months but won't be staying at PPH again if it remains like this.

Well, I think you know to avoid the DCA GCH entrance (mainly due to the fact they can't start the security check until the park gates are open (no waiting area), but for some, they need to use every perk they get for paying the high prices for a Disney owned Hotel.

But now that the perk has been changed, and only GCH guests (or a paid restaurant receipt) can use it, shouldn't be an issue.

GiveMeTheMusic

Darkbeer1

Sorry, I was referring to the GCH entrance into DCA, not the hotel's entrance on Disneyland Drive.

And since the PPH and DLH guests can't enter the Hotel to access the entrance, it is now a moot point. DLH and PPH guests will just go through security at the ESPN Zone, and head to the Main Entrance Turnstiles and find the "Extra Magic Hour" lines, and there will be more than 2 (which is how many the GCH DCA entrance has),faster and more efficient.

Heck, the GCH DCA entrance was originally only for GCH guests.

Darkbeer1

By the way, I saw two security flaws in the system yesterday, one I am pretty sure they know about, and has to do with the East versus West areas.

The second one is the more serious one, and I have contacted someone this AM in regards to the issue. I am surprised I caught it while using the security checks a few times yesterday as part of my photo taking, and checking out the situation. And please, don't even ask what it is, that is not going to be shared by me except to someone I know at Disneyland Security, to keep the flaw private.

I did get stopped by a senior Security Officer yesterday asking why I was taking pictures, and I explained it to him. He didn't like the answer, but said OK, and we parted ways. (It does help to know the rules, a few people in charge and their names, and being courteous while still standing up for being allowed to keep taking the photos. I also told him that I was being careful in regards to exposing security methods,and was focused on showing how guests use and access the areas in regards to the security checks, and the new pathways and signage. And that is what I did, but it is obvious they do bag checks and use metal detectors, that is exposing nothing folks don't already know...

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

My only question is, if my family is touring DtD and want to go have a drink in the Grand Californian Hearth Lounge, can they still do so?

Yes, since you will use the Sephora entrance, the "exit" lane (aka leaving DtD) is open and no checks are made.

To get back in, you can use the Sephora Security Check with your receipt, or even the DCA entrance (if you have a valid park ticket).

George Lucas on a Bench

It was efficient when I went through. It looks like you're going into a crummy concert or something and is very un-Disney. I set off the detector, of course, and was wanded. But I saw a lot of people being wanded. I didn't like taking the tram and missed the old walkway. However, it was nice walking into the esplanade without having to go through security. Despite the destruction of the old walkway, this is a good idea. It gets all this crap out of the way before you get to the fun stuff and there are no longer huge crowds of people in and around the esplanade, so getting in, out and around is easier.

Disneyland, unfortunately, was a complete and total disaster. You could barely move around.

Stevek

Had my first experience with it before Christmas, in the pouring rain. That sucked. Leaky tents. Security didn't look to being enjoying themselves either.

George Lucas on a Bench

Okay, since I've used the new entry and exit several times now, I have further things to add.

Entering is great. It's so efficient.

The walkway is obviously not as direct a route as the old one, which stinks. However, the old walkway wasn't perfect. It was too narrow and had a dangerous crossing at West Street where drivers constantly attempted to kill me while I had the light.

The new walkway is also narrow. This is annoying because I walk faster than everyone else and I don't want to be held up by slower people congesting the entire walkway in front of me. I don't even want to say "Excuse me." There are also several points where cars turn into the walkway, which is ridiculous. When you finally get to the Pinocchio lot, you can either walk straight to the structure and take the stairs or walk between Jersey barriers to the escalators. I think I'll take the stairs.

So the walkway is not perfect. You have to walk through a truly garish section of Downtown Disney I would rather avoid, but at least it has wide open spaces. The walkway is too narrow and shouldn't be anywhere near traffic. I would also appreciate a bridge.

D

Deleted member 107043

I wonder how that path will change once a hotel is built between the tram loading zone and DTD.

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm wondering if DTD will be extended to the north of ESPN Zone and be integrated into the hotel (ala The GCH) to better connect the pedestian path DLR to the Mickey & Friends garage/trams. Right now it's all very disconnected.

Ismael Flores

I do enjoy the new security point by the Mickey and friend structure but at the same time i think that they would have accomplished the same thing with a different layout and much less destruction of the original landscaped tram loading area.

all those long temporary metal fences placed right in front of the escalators look terrible and hopefully are temporary and the removal of two loading station also creates for a crowd load area on busy days especially since the space between those two areas is narrow

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom