West park security checkpoint moving and new ones being added

Stevek

I hope this never happens, but the long security check lines is a tempting target to "terrorists/idiots".

So you don't need to clear security to cause havoc. Plus there are things you can get through security other than guns can just as easily kill as a gun.

I don't see the "secure area" as a selling point.

Heck, look what happened in Turkey a few months ago, the terrorists just attacked the security check at the Istanbul Airport. (And I have been there, and know how it is set up, basically the security check is at the entrance doors before the main area of ticket booths, check in and restaurants and shops.) .

The regular security checkpoints were a mess (and mass of humanity) on Monday...if someone wanted to target those areas, they could have easily done it well before now regardless of the location.

dweezil78

I was there yesterday and, thankfully, it looks like the walkway will continue to exist -- although it's kind of a pain now. They reroute you back through the garage for a little and then back out thru the old lot. What was not clear to me, however, is where exactly they'll have us walkway'ers go thru security. It seemed like we'd bypass the one at the garage, but unsure where we actually do get scanned.

Darkbeer1

The walkway that is on the north edge of Downtown Disney from Disneyland Drive to the DtD tram drop off area will be closed when the new security checks start. It will be fenced off at the DtD access points with a double gate system.

The pathway itself will remain as an emergency egress path,and if needed, the gates will open up, but that would cause the entire area to become a NON-Secure zone, and would require a clearing of the area and re-screening, similar to what happens at airports, and they need to re-screen a terminal or wing.

The M&F Security check area will have a pathway to avoid the security check after coming down the escalator. It will take you on a path going south, you keep going straight at the light (Downtown Disney Parking Lot entrance) and follow the path to just before the ESPN Zone, where you will go through the Security Check and enter DtD.

dweezil78

The M&F Security check area will have a pathway to avoid the security check after coming down the escalator. It will take you on a path going south, you keep going straight at the light (Downtown Disney Parking Lot entrance) and follow the path to just before the ESPN Zone, where you will go through the Security Check and enter DtD.

Yikes!! :eek: That's terrible. Well there goes one of my favorite DLR shortcuts. It was already worse with the added zig zag back thru the parking garage, but to have to start at ESPN Zone now? I can't imagine anyone, other than people wanting to start their day at DtD and parents with ginormous strollers, are going to want to use that path now. What a bummer.

MoonRakerSCM

Are there any thoughts/rumors/BSing suggesting WHY they are building such temporary structures? Looks like they're putting up some plastic barriers at the loading area and they're using left over tent and scaffolding from the run weekends for the checkpoint. Why? They could build a nice permanent structure and nice shaded loading area... but instead they're building something that looks like it's from the county fair.

My personal thought is that they're going to use this temporarily while they build a permanent set up in the current loading area... and then flip it back to that area... but that's only because it makes sense to me...

Long story short, what on earth are they doing? Just looks like rushing to build crap to me...

Darkbeer1

Yes, the need to get a Fire Engine, Ambulance, Construction Vehicle, etc. into the zone. They have to be able to be removed quickly in case of emergency.

MoonRakerSCM

Yes that they will be building more permanent structures in the other zone and need access there or yes the structures will stay temporary for emergency purposes? If the latter, is there a reason that a structure cannot be built with an access gate in the middle or side of it for access purposes?

D

Deleted member 107043

Isn't the goal to have this set up and ready by the busy 2016 holiday vacation season? There's no way they could build permanent security infrastructure that quickly. I imagine that well see something permanent in place between now and the opening of SW Land.

MoonRakerSCM

From what I've heard it will be up and running pretty soon... my question is why? Why rush so quickly to do something temporary to then just start up work again to do something permanent.

Perhaps they've had requests and 'tips' on upping their security perimeter? There has to be some pushing force to make them rush this temp job so quickly... at least I would think there is.

Darkbeer1

The new security checks went live this AM, seems the extra stations are make the wais short. The special GCH entrance next to Sephora is now only for use by GCH guests. (Room Key or paid restaurant receipt required to enter DtD. So PPH guests are going to have to walk north to the ESPN Zone to enter the parks. Samefor the special DCA entrance from GCH, that is now also restricted to GCH guests and receipt holders. The lines lately have been very long in the mornings, so it is much better for everyone to spend most folks through DtD (like DLH and PPH guests) get them through security before opening, and then have a decent set of turnstiles ready for opening, a lot more people will now get the full hour of the"Extra Magic Hour".

drizgirl

The new security checks went live this AM, seems the extra stations are make the wais short. The special GCH entrance next to Sephora is now only for use by GCH guests. (Room Key or paid restaurant receipt required to enter DtD. So PPH guests are going to have to walk north to the ESPN Zone to enter the parks. Samefor the special DCA entrance from GCH, that is now also restricted to GCH guests and receipt holders. The lines lately have been very long in the mornings, so it is much better for everyone to spend most folks through DtD (like DLH and PPH guests) get them through security before opening, and then have a decent set of turnstiles ready for opening, a lot more people will now get the full hour of the"Extra Magic Hour".

I never had trouble getting the full hour of EMH before. But then we knew not to use the DCA entrance at park open.

We'll be watching how this unfolds over the coming months but won't be staying at PPH again if it remains like this.

D

Deleted member 107043

To me PP is terribly overrated anyway, and for the rates they charge at the GCH the exclusive entrance/exits make sense.

GiveMeTheMusic

All DLR hotel guests can use the GCH entrance, not just GCH guests. That of course may change, but as of today, anyone with a room key from any of the 3 hotels can use that entrance.

Darkbeer1

OK, here are the facts about the switchover.

No changes to the East side, still just 16 stations to process all the folks.

The area near the M& F Tram Loading is now open and clear. (They ran out of time,and left on tent up today, but it should be removed tonight.

The Security Checks will open up prior to 5 AM daily (Starbucks opening time).

The Mickey and Friends Security check is decent and large, the minor rerouting still leaves 4 tram load/unload areas (two were relocated). Escalators and restrooms are outside the security zone.

To avoid using the tram, you now walk west to the end of the tram roadway,and then head straight south towards the Disneyland Hotel, and use the sidewalk next to the Downtown Disney Parking gates, and then enter next to the ESPN Zone (which is in the secure area).

The West side of ESPN Zone (which is the main entrance for the DLR and PPH) is large, wide and open (16 stations). Sets of 2 bag checks, with one Metal Detector to be shared, and everyone goes through it.

As for the Grand Californian, they are making sure that the PPH guests (or off-property) don't use the GCH entrance. At the corner on Disneyland Drive, there were three GCH CM's and one Security CM checking room keys, and even had a printout of reservations for the restaurants. Those who don't are told to head north and use the ESPN Zone entrance into DtD. This makes both the special DCA entrance and the GCH entrance next to Sephora only available for GCH guests, and those with a paid receipt from a GCH Restaurant. But anyone can exit from DtD at the GCH Sephora security check, and then walk to the PPH or anything else they want to do.

The pathway from the M&F tram unload area to the east side of Disneyland Drive now has a set of gates that can open for emergency egress, but not allow anyone to use it normally. So to walk to the M&F Structure, you need to go through DtD to the ESPN Zone and head north to the structure.

Here is a set of photos and short videos (also includes Star Wars Land construction, GCH Gingerbread House, and a look at the Carousel Inn.)

https://darkbeer.smugmug.com/Disneyland-Resort-12152016/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom