Wedn't You Know It?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
To answer the above.. If i had any sort of executive pull in research and design, I'd have anyone who even mentioned deisnging an X coaster for World Showcase shown the door and not even allowed to return to their office.

Lee

Adventurer
The 4th dimension coasters are not a Vekoma product. That's SS/Arrow.
Vekoma does build flying coasters, however. Nice ones, too. See, for example Firehawk at King's Island, or Batwing at SF America.
Unlikely to be what he's referring to, though.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
He said Vekoma doesn't build them, thus they needed another company, and that company has 2, one of which isn't a great operating reliability record.

That points to SS and the X.

Rayray

A thought...

The Netherlands company is Vekoma. Disney's coster builder of choice. Flying implies the X or 4th Dimension coaster, of which only two exist one of which was horribly delayed and behind deadlines so much that it bankrupted Arrow. It is now owned S&S.

Now.. how many of us think a flying X coaster is remotely a good idea for World Showcase?

I didn't assume that he was talking about an X or 4D coaster. It sounds like something more likened to new technology to me (inverted test track tech, maybe?). I dunno.:veryconfu

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The Netherlands company is obviously Vekoma.

Arrow/SS are the same company now, because Arrow went bankrupt and were purchased by SS. They were sued to death because of the 4D/X.

Now, interesting point, Arrow designed/fabricated original attractions for DL when it first opened. They're the #2 builder-o-choice for Disney behind Vekoma.

The X/4D is the only coaster/ride system I know of that only has 2 models, one of which was caught in horrible delays and problems.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Nope.
Disney isn't looking to build a 4D. Nobody is.
Curious to know more about this concept...I've not heard of it before.

That was my point about it being stupid. A fanciful fan dream. A reason not to trust this poster.. unless you're saying we ought to?

nighttimewisher

- The Magic of Disney Animation is going to be getting an overhaul. Back to the glory days we go!.. err... forward to the new glory days we go!

Now i hope this one has some truth. It was such a dissappointment seeing the new version for the first time. I hope they bring back the movies in some form - they were always a high point for me; showcasing Disney Magic

Lee

Adventurer
That was my point about it being stupid. A fanciful fan dream. A reason not to trust this poster.. unless you're saying we ought to?

His post is quite vague. Nothing really points to it being necessarily coaster based at all, much less a 4D. That's just an assumption we can't yet make. I mean...where would you even put a 4D at WS that wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The being "carried in flight" is intriguing. If I'm just thinking coaster, it kinda points me toward a "Mountain Glider" like Walibi's Vertigo. But....that thing has been a huge headache for them...and would take up a ton of room, as well.

The only thing that sounds possible and plausible is the autograph book.

Everything else is amusing. However, I had lunch with Dan Flynn, an Associate Show Program Manager from WDI--one of his projects was Test Track--and he said he is currently working on something for EPCOT that is neither a show nor an attraction.

(Dan also revealed that he doesn't feel the wand belongs in EPCOT but hasn't heard when/if it will be taken down.)

jmvd20

Everything else is amusing. However, I had lunch with Dan Flynn, an Associate Show Program Manager from WDI--one of his projects was Test Track--and he said he is currently working on something for EPCOT that is neither a show nor an attraction.

Not a show or attraction? Guess it must either be a new restroom or another DVC booth then.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Call me a doubting Thomas, but I'm not sold on the whole Alien scene replacement idea. Why? Because I had lunch with Dan Flynn, Associate Show Program Manager, of WDI at the Brown Derby on Friday, June 15, 2007. I recalled this post and when asked if it was true that the Alien scene was going to be replaced, Dan laughed and said he hadn't heard that rumor before.

As for HM, Dan's wife is the project manager for the HM refurbishment, but Dan couldn't/wouldn't say anything of what to expect.

see http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=2324952&postcount=153:
The only thing that sounds possible and plausible is the autograph book.

(Dan also revealed that he doesn't feel the wand belongs in EPCOT but hasn't heard when/if it will be taken down.)

I sounds to me like ole Danny boy doesn't know a whole lot!

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Dan's a very creative guy - very much about pushing the envelope forward in concepts and technology... sometimes to the point of losing the overall picture in my humble opinion (see Test Track's queue, etc). However, I don't think he has much dealings in paperwork and a lot of the office stuff. So I'm not surprised that Dan doesn't know anything about the wand, and I certainly am not surprised that he doesn't know anything about Rohde's WS project.

I also need to correct disneygrl89. The project manager for the HM's refurbishment is Kathy Rogers. There's a big difference in working on a ride refurbishment and being the project manager.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom