WDWFreak53, car discussion

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Does the Z have a black box in it? I know the GTR does...and the warranty gets voided if there is any extreme driving.

Really? That's crazy. I'd think that would cost them more in marketing than it would in warranty repairs. They're basically saying: "Despite everything we've been telling you . . . the GTR isn't really designed to be driven. It's just for rich Lawyers to look cool in."

I don't have any idea if mine has a black box, but I intend to drive it and if I have any warranty issues, I expect them to cover them.

. . . if not, I'll make a stink.

. . . and I know a thing or two about making a stink.:lookaroun

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
A GTR passed me doing at least 120mph (the GTR... NOT me) yesterday on the way home from work. Brand new... still had temp plates on it... it was back... it was behind me on my @$$... passed me... and then woosh.. gone. I was like :eek: :lol:

WDWFREAK53

Really? That's crazy. I'd think that would cost them more in marketing than it would in warranty repairs. They're basically saying: "Despite everything we've been telling you . . . the GTR isn't really designed to be driven. It's just for rich Lawyers to look cool in."

I don't have any idea if mine has a black box, but I intend to drive it and if I have any warranty issues, I expect them to cover them.

. . . if not, I'll make a stink.

. . . and I know a thing or two about making a stink.:lookaroun

Yeah, just do a search for GTR Black Box. You'll get a whole bunch of hits.

DMC-12

Yeah, just do a search for GTR Black Box. You'll get a whole bunch of hits.

Wow... all of it is very interesting reading material, IMO! I have been reading various GTR forums for the past hour. I know my car has a black box, but it doesnt store 50+ hours of like.. everything, like the GTR does :eek:. Plus my black box is much easier to hack. I have hacked mine, and the OBSDII, so many times :lol: . The data logs are an interesting read (or maybe I am just a dork? :lol:).

WDWFREAK53

Cool!

. . . I'm not looking though. It's too late for that now.:lookaroun

:lol:

What surprised me the most was the 9.0lbs/horsepower ratio. I thought it would've been heavier than that.

On their "Compare" page they compare it to the 370Z.

(It basically says that it has more torque, better fuel economy, and 4 seats :lol: )

Oh, and I was also surprised by the weight distribution. It's at 52/48. Not bad for a pony car!

WDWFREAK53

Maybe this one is mine ;)

Inferno Orange Metallic with Cyber Gray Metallic stripes, 2SS, with the RS package...and Inferno Orange Interior. It's the exact car I ordered (except this one has a sunroof...I opted not to get that because I prefer the look of the "reverse mohawk" on the roof.)

...After seeing the last batch of photos...I'm contemplating switching mine from Gray stripes to the White Stripes. What do you think? The white stripes seem to "pop" more and show off the orange better than the gray.

EDIT: These pictures make me so happy that I chose Orange. It just stands out so much.

Attachments

• IOM CGM 01.JPG
    IOM CGM 01.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IOM White 01.JPG
    IOM White 01.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 6

DMC-12

Inferno Orange Metallic with Cyber Gray Metallic stripes, 2SS, with the RS package...and Inferno Orange Interior. It's the exact car I ordered (except this one has a sunroof...I opted not to get that because I prefer the look of the "reverse mohawk" on the roof.)

...After seeing the last batch of photos...I'm contemplating switching mine from Gray stripes to the White Stripes. What do you think? The white stripes seem to "pop" more and show off the orange better than the gray.

EDIT: These pictures make me so happy that I chose Orange. It just stands out so much.

I like the black better. Makes it look meaner, and sharper, IMO.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
ok... so I'm thinking that my Acura need to lose weight. Should I go Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass?

garyhoov

Trophy Husband

I like the gray better . . . but then again, I wouldn't have gone with orange . . .and I probably wouldn't have gotten any stripes . . . so maybe you should just ignore my opinion.:lookaroun

:lol:

I guess maybe I'm just anti-social, but I don't like a car that gets too much attention. I'm a little surprised at how much attention the Z seems to be getting. I figured it was similar enough to the 350 that, unless you know a lot about cars, you'd just figure it was the 350.

But I've had several people ask me what it was . . . and now with camera phones, everyone wants to take a photo.

Personally, I'd be happy NOT making small-talk with complete strangers in parking lots.:eek:

ok... so I'm thinking that my Acura need to lose weight. Should I go Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass?

Unless it's a stress bearing part, I'd go with fiberglass. There are people replacing the surlyn plastic Buell body parts with carbon fiber . . . but the Surlyn has about half the density of carbon fiber.

Unless it's a stressed part, it doesn't make sense to go with carbon-fiber. Carbon-fiber and fiber-glass have similar densities, but the carbon is stronger.

WDWFREAK53

I like the gray better . . . but then again, I wouldn't have gone with orange . . .and I probably wouldn't have gotten any stripes . . . so maybe you should just ignore my opinion.:lookaroun

Yeah, orange isn't for everyone...just people with taste :lookaroun :lol: JK

IMO, I don't like sleepers. If my car has the power behind it, I want it to look like there's power behind it. (Red, Orange, and Black)

Realistically, "sleepers" are more for people that like to race at stoplights. If you're going to a legitimate drag strip or track, people "know" that your car has power behind it no matter WHAT it looks like.

Racing stripes, for me, make it appear the car is moving fast even when it's standing still.

I will never race this car. One time I did with my Z but I was being stupid and never did again. 150mph is a little scary in the middle of the night when you have a GTO next to you.

Today I switched...I took a poll here at work and everybody (aside from two) said that the white stripes were nicer because they were more "retro" and stood out more.

Timmay

Today I switched...I took a poll here at work and everybody (aside from two) said that the white stripes were nicer because they were more "retro" and stood out more.

White!!

Okay, so I got my "get out of jail early" card in the mail from the dealership today. My lease on the Colorado is up in August and they will let me out early, roll over my security deposit, and give me $3000 down on any Chevy vehicle...including guess what??:D But do I really want to own a rear wheel drive hot rod in Denver...:lookaroun?

What to do...what to do...:brick:

WDWFREAK53

White!!

Okay, so I got my "get out of jail early" card in the mail from the dealership today. My lease on the Colorado is up in August and they will let me out early, roll over my security deposit, and give me $3000 down on any Chevy vehicle...including guess what??:D But do I really want to own a rear wheel drive hot rod in Denver...:lookaroun?

What to do...what to do...:brick:

If it means anything...another member of a Camaro forum that I post on has one (works for GM and got a test vehicle) and lives in Toronto. They drove from Toronto (in a major snowstorm) down to Florida and said that it handled surprisingly well with All-Season tires on it.

Now, I've driven rear-wheel drive vehicles in the past...and they're horrible in the snow. Combining the high-tech traction control, the near 50/50 weight distribution, and all-season tires...it probably helps. The question is...how MUCH does it help?

Big 3 Comparisons: (I'm impressed by the Mustang actually!)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...llenger_rt_vs_2010_ford_mustang_gt/index.html

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...Id=144526?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

...and just for fun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJrR8QI9iaQ

(Motortrend got better numbers...but the vid is fun to watch :) )

(Also, last numbers are in... it got 8:19 at the Nurburgring)

(Hot Rod Magazine)
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0903w_2010_chevrolet_camaro_test_drive/index.html

DMC-12

Now, I've driven rear-wheel drive vehicles in the past...and they're horrible in the snow. Combining the high-tech traction control, the near 50/50 weight distribution, and all-season tires...it probably helps. The question is...how MUCH does it help?

The answer is: A LOT! The CTS is a champ in the snow. :king:

My (RWD) Volvo was was even better in the snow... but I had no where near the HP the CTS had either... but I didnt have any fancy tires or TCS either on the Volvo either. *shrug*

WDWFREAK53

The answer is: A LOT! The CTS is a champ in the snow. :king:

My (RWD) Volvo was was even better in the snow... but I had no where near the HP the CTS had either... but I didnt have any fancy tires or TCS either on the Volvo either. *shrug*

I know my Z basically had to stay parked if a 1/4 inch of snow hit stuck to the ground. It had traction control but there was so much torque, that the tires would "catch." I didn't have the best tires for snow so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it but that traction control was so finicky that it was almost "worse" in the snow than to have it turned off.

I am pretty good at driving in the snow so I was better compensating for the occassional slide than I was if power kept cutting out to the wheels.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I think the idea of rear-wheel drive cars having a problem in snow is mostly a myth - probably resulting at least partly because rear-drive cars are more likely to have summer tires.

The idea that having more weight over the driving wheels makes some sense - but most cars these days are at least close to 50/50, and if there is a large weight concentration in the front, you'll have a problem with the rear tires loosing grip in the snow.

I feel confident that, with a decent set of all-season tires, I can drive just about any car in all but extreme amounts of snow.

Timmay

I think the idea of rear-wheel drive cars having a problem in snow is mostly a myth - probably resulting at least partly because rear-drive cars are more likely to have summer tires.
Having lived in Colorado most of my life, I can assure you it is no myth. Yes, some people have no idea how to operate a rear wheel drive vehicle in snow...I do. There is a huge difference between rear wheel and front wheel.

I feel confident that, with a decent set of all-season tires, I can drive just about any car in all but extreme amounts of snow.

You would be shocked at how 3 inches of snow can start to cause problems with a rear wheel drive vehicle...never mind the ususal 6-8 inches we have around here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom