WDW website update features Test Track concept art!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It just looks like another change done on the cheap instead of getting to the heart of the issues...
You mean the physical quality of the cars and the RCS? They should be getting a look at too.

Let's face it, Test Track as it was was falling apart. It was so stuck in the mid 90s. This overhaul should add more of a timeless aspect to it.

Wait until you see the preshow and line...

Uncle Lupe

You have to figure that you will not be able to change the actual cars performance on the track. Just in a simulation.

On the screen this is the piece of crap you designed, let's see how it handled dead man's curve. Oops, looks your brakes overheated and you hit the semi head on.

Homer-Simpson-car-21638.jpg

It is still a ride and each car has a set time to make a circuit. If you had cars driving at different speeds it would be chaos.

Kev1417

unless they do something drastic it's still something millions of people do every day.....ride in a car. With that said millions of people drive faster than 65mph every day too. The only thing worth riding for is the banked turns, and i'm not sure that's worth more than a 20 min wait. I'm hoping they make this ride worth the long wait times. I'm not sure "designing" a car will be worth it to me. just my feelings on this ride. i know a lot of people love it.

With that said, do they have the ability to change the track on the inside portion of the ride for this refurb? or are they just adding some display elements and lights? the inside portion to me was extremely boring. maybe this was because most of the elements have not been working correctly for years.

Hopefully this lengthy refurb will be great. can't wait to find out.

elchippo

It is still a ride and each car has a set time to make a circuit. If you had cars driving at different speeds it would be chaos.

It's Disney, so you have to figure that initially they might make you think you can go different speeds, but then something will go "horribly wrong" and you'll speed up to go the standard speed....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
unless they do something drastic it's still something millions of people do every day.....ride in a car. With that said millions of people drive faster than 65mph every day too. The only thing worth riding for is the banked turns, and i'm not sure that's worth more than a 20 min wait. I'm hoping they make this ride worth the long wait times. I'm not sure "designing" a car will be worth it to me. just my feelings on this ride. i know a lot of people love it.

With that said, do they have the ability to change the track on the inside portion of the ride for this refurb? or are they just adding some display elements and lights? the inside portion to me was extremely boring. maybe this was because most of the elements have not been working correctly for years.

Hopefully this lengthy refurb will be great. can't wait to find out.

There are no track changes coming.

Mickey_777

This looks good IMO. I think it goes without saying that they're going for a Tron look here and I think it works. Plus, the Ride Icons (capability, efficiency etc...) look like old Ecpot logos no?

aladdin2007

This looks good IMO. I think it goes without saying that they're going for a Tron look here and I think it works. Plus, the Ride Icons (capability, efficiency etc...) look like old Ecpot logos no?

Agree, it looks like the entire ride itself is getting a complete overlay of new sets and atmosphere, and I was thinking it was just going to be one new scene. Now it looks like the whole thing will be new scenes which is welcome. If only there was going to be a future city :). I realize the new sets and all arent really scenes per say , just new immersive designs and surroundings but looks really nice and finally something very Epcotish that fits.

Mickey_777

Agree, it looks like the entire ride itself is getting a complete overlay of new sets and atmosphere, and I was thinking it was just going to be one new scene. Now it looks like the whole thing will be new scenes which is welcome. If only there was going to be a future city :). I realize the new sets and all arent really scenes per say , just new immersive designs and surroundings but looks really nice and finally something very Epcotish that fits.

Also, given the new futuristic scenery, I can't imagine anything other than techno style music for this ride a la Tron.

rioriz

I think one thing people are missing out on the "rideability" factor for this new ride. The goal is to create the most efficient car possible. You may not do that the first few rides through but with careful inspections and learning, by the 10th time through the pre-show you know enough to create a very efficient car!

Sounds fun and challenging to me!

Uncle Lupe

I am wondering if they are going to use direct lighting effects with fiber optics tubes.
Fopsglogo.jpg

Or using black lights and black light paint on black sets. Space Ranger Spin comes to mind.

TestTrack

You mean the physical quality of the cars and the RCS? They should be getting a look at too.

Let's face it, Test Track as it was was falling apart. It was so stuck in the mid 90s. This overhaul should add more of a timeless aspect to it.

Wait until you see the preshow and line...

Here are my issues with the current ride:

1. Hill climb....too slow, bumps to "boring". As others have said, these two "features" are snoozefests. The hill climb might be more interesting if it were done at a faster rate.

2. Brake tests - Screens often don't work helping explain whats going on, traffic cones sometimes don't work, The track itself gives away what is going to happen. At least this is somewhat "fun" though, except for the crazy hard "off-on" style brake mechanics

3. Hairpin turns - This can be really fun when it works right. However, I have way too many times that we come too close to a car in front of us and we slow to a crawl. This completely loses the fun part of this.

4. Truck "near-miss" - We're on a test track and we almost collide with a truck? Ok, I get it...its supposed to be fun, but as your own video points out, some of the effects don't work here.

5. Barrier test - Shame that the crash test demo in front of you hasn't worked in forever. That's what really made this fun in my opinion.

6. High speed track - Great...when it works. I've crawled around the track out here too. Would be nice if they would punch it up to 70-80MPH to make it as least as fast as most highways are nowadays.

Test Track is a good ride, when it worked correctly. I hope the new ride has much dimmer lighting as one of the worst parts about the current ride is how much it looks like a "warehouse" during the day especially.

Kev1417

for all those hoping for a Tron overlay. You guys are not the ones complaining about other movie overlays coming to Epcot correct? Seas with Nemo comes to mind. :lookaroun

FigmentJedi

for all those hoping for a Tron overlay. You guys are not the ones complaining about other movie overlays coming to Epcot correct? Seas with Nemo comes to mind. :lookaroun

Thing with Tron is that it's had ties to Epcot going back to the beginning, with the original being a part of World of Motion and that whole Tron Arcade concept that never fully got off the ground. I for one look forward to Tron Track.

bgraham34

I think one thing people are missing out on the "rideability" factor for this new ride. The goal is to create the most efficient car possible. You may not do that the first few rides through but with careful inspections and learning, by the 10th time through the pre-show you know enough to create a very efficient car!

Sounds fun and challenging to me!

Yeah but the ride itself is not changing it just a virtual score. Who cares about that. Unless my choices influence the actual ride its still the same old Test Track.

djkidkaz

Something struck me in the past few days while looking at Test Tracks upgrades and with all this talk of interactivity and next gen queues. As much as I get the hate for all the screens being added to attractions among other things, I think it is definitely better than the alternative, which is people staring at their cell phones. I think Disney is trying to find a way to keep people off their phones and entertained in a way that relates to the attraction. If you are standing in line and have nothing to do, you generally pull out your phone and start surfing. So now your in line for the Haunted Mansion, reading TMZ.com and completely out of the story of what your about to see. As much as the updated queue for mansion is very simple, it does still tend to give you something to mess with that is story related and your mind is still in Haunted Mansion mode. The same goes for something like Test Track, which already had stuff to look at in the queue, but adding something that you can actually interact with will keep you immersed in that story. Apparently we are now going to be given cards to input into monitors along the way. Thats a smart move, if Im carrying this card with me, it will most likely keep me from reaching into my pocket to pull out the cell phone. I just think Disney is really onto something here and very smart to start this process. It really tells me they are definitely still focused on keeping you in that story.

rioriz

Yeah but the ride itself is not changing it just a virtual score. Who cares about that. Unless my choices influence the actual ride its still the same old Test Track.

Same can be said for Buzz and TSM...same track design each time and nothing really changes where you move on the ride only your scores...With new TT your score is how well you design your virtual car in the pre-show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom