WDW Photo of the Day Thread (Part 9)

I_heart_Tigger

Anyone want to give me some tips on the usuage of photos on Flickr? Please PM me if you don't want to answer here. I've read the fine print jargon but am looking for your opinions.

I'm torn whether to do a Flickr account, I've seen that photos can be "all rights reserved" on peoples Flickr but can be easily copy/pasted from their FlickRiver. Also how do you feel about your photos being "All rights reserved" on Flickr but easily copy and pasted from this photo thread.

Just debating whether to start an account for photo sharing without wanting to worry if someone can use my photos for whatever they wish.

Thanks....sorry for hijacking but I don't have any Flickr using friends to discuss this with :wave:

photoflight

I'm torn whether to do a Flickr account, I've seen that photos can be "all rights reserved" on peoples Flickr but can be easily copy/pasted from their FlickRiver. Also how do you feel about your photos being "All rights reserved" on Flickr but easily copy and pasted from this photo thread.

If your image can be seen on the internet then it can be copied. Flickr doesn't currently have a way of limiting sites external to flickr to display their images (that I know of), but Smugmug does. Unfortunately though, if you want to display those images anywhere else then the links can be copied and your images can be viewed anywhere - still though, if someone can see your image on your Smugmug (or Zenfolio, or anything else) then it can be copied.

Bottom line: if someone wants to take your picture, they will. Be proactive and work with that assumption. Watermark your images, only allow smaller-sizes to be displayed, and add references to you, your copyright, and your website in the exif data of your pictures.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
DSC_1348.jpg

I_heart_Tigger

If your image can be seen on the internet then it can be copied. Flickr doesn't currently have a way of limiting sites external to flickr to display their images (that I know of), but Smugmug does. Unfortunately though, if you want to display those images anywhere else then the links can be copied and your images can be viewed anywhere - still though, if someone can see your image on your Smugmug (or Zenfolio, or anything else) then it can be copied.

Bottom line: if someone wants to take your picture, they will. Be proactive and work with that assumption. Watermark your images, only allow smaller-sizes to be displayed, and add references to you, your copyright, and your website in the exif data of your pictures.

Thank you! I'm working on a watermark now. I hear horror stories of people finding their photos being used by other companies and photographers - not that my photos are so amazing that someone would want to steal them but I've put off having a Flickr account for a while now and just weighing my options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom