Walt's Thoughts on the Asian parks

PeterAlt

I don't need to watch the video, Disney had no plans on creating another Disneyland-style park.

You couldn't just say this in the beginning?
Still watch the video. It's a good time capsule and gives good insight of the time and the mind of Disney. It's not long.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

I believe I did say that from the beginning. The OP's question was how would Walt feel about all the park's in Asia. I said from the beginning that he would be furious and stated why.

You do realize Magic Kingdom is Disneyland? An imitation, that is.
While Magic Kingdom may have its similarities towards Disneyland, at the same time it is quite different. Walt Disney wanted to make Magic Kingdom a magical park, a place beyond reality, a dream world. He was not able to completely accomplish this with DisneyLand, where the highway is in sight of the park. You have to take an extra journey to reach the Magic Kingdom. Disney wanted this park to be an escape for his guests and not be able to see the interstate and the cars zooming by. Unfortunately, Disney never got to see this for himself, but I'm sure he would be proud. I have always felt Magic Kingdom as a very special and magical place to me, and Disneyland does have its differences. I'm not going to go into detail, but you should get the drift.

As for the Asian Disney's, I think eventually, if Walt Disney was still somehow alive today, he would have wanted to expand all over the world. Not to take over the world per say, but to allow everyone an opportunity to live in a fantasy world, if just for one day.

Californian Elitist

While Magic Kingdom may have its similarities towards Disneyland, at the same time it is quite different. Walt Disney wanted to make Magic Kingdom a magical park, a place beyond reality, a dream world. He was not able to completely accomplish this with DisneyLand, where the highway is in sight of the park. You have to take an extra journey to reach the Magic Kingdom. Disney wanted this park to be an escape for his guests and not be able to see the interstate and the cars zooming by. Unfortunately, Disney never got to see this for himself, but I'm sure he would be proud. I have always felt Magic Kingdom as a very special and magical place to me, and Disneyland does have its differences. I'm not going to go into detail, but you should get the drift.

As for the Asian Disney's, I think eventually, if Walt Disney was still somehow alive today, he would have wanted to expand all over the world. Not to take over the world per say, but to allow everyone an opportunity to live in a fantasy world, if just for one day.

You seem to have it completely backwards. Walt Disney had no plans on creating another Disneyland. He said he was through with theme parks. He was referring to E.P.C.O.T. Disney had the abundance of space in Florida for his city. The only reason Magic Kingdom exists today is because money was needed to fund E.P.C.O.T. Unfortunately, Walt's dream in Florida never came to be.

You seem to have it completely backwards. Walt Disney had no plans on creating another Disneyland. He said he was through with theme parks. He was referring to E.P.C.O.T. Disney had the abundance of space in Florida for his city. The only reason Magic Kingdom exists today is because money was needed to fund E.P.C.O.T. Unfortunately, Walt's dream in Florida never came to be.
That's not what I was taught. I learned all this in Orientation at WDW. So I do not believe I have it all backwards. PLUS, (I know this probably doesn't prove anything but...) Disneyland can fit into Magic Kingdom's parking lot and still have room for 500 cars. I'm not trying to say who is right or who is wrong, but that is what I was taught by the company itself. Be it as it may, Disneyland was the first, and the Mother of all these parks. And I'm sure Disney would be proud of what his hard work has brought this world!

lazyboy97o

The Magic Kingdom's location was primarily selected so that all visitors to the recreation and theme park area had to pass through EPCOT.

Californian Elitist

That's not what I was taught. I learned all this in Orientation at WDW. So I do not believe I have it all backwards. PLUS, (I know this probably doesn't prove anything but...) Disneyland can fit into Magic Kingdom's parking lot and still have room for 500 cars. I'm not trying to say who is right or who is wrong, but that is what I was taught by the company itself. Be it as it may, Disneyland was the first, and the Mother of all these parks. And I'm sure Disney would be proud of what his hard work has brought this world!

Well, the company lied and you most definitely have it backwards, unfortunately. They do it all the time, to try and make the story more "magical".

What does Disneyland's size have to do with anything?

lazyboy97o

It is more half truth than lie. Yes, Walt was upset over the state of Harbor Blvd in Anaheim and that pushed him to acquire more than enough land, but it was to protect his projects, the focus being EPCOT. A point the Company has repeatedly liked to fudge is Walt's involvement with the design of the Magic Kingdom. No specific design work for the Magic Kingdom dates to Walt's lifetime. He was only tangentially involved in some aspects because they evolved out of other projects.

The Empress Lilly

My take:
Walt fully intended to build a MK in Florida. Even in the same spot as where it was built, both EPCOT and the MK ended up pretty much where Walt planned them, as below in the pics. Walt's plans for both were still vague, his concepts rushed for the Florida legislature and sponsors.

walt_disney_epcot_map.jpg

City%20of%20Epcot%2002.jpg

In this early stage of the Florida Project, and the final stage of Walt's life, Walt himself wasn't very interested in the new MK, his thoughts preoccupied by the other areas.
But both the company's pr and the general public are quick to conflate Walt with TWDC. Walt may not have expected to be busy designing the MK, but the company would. Walt didn't film Mary Poppins, he didn't draw Cinderella, he didn't write 'Comics and Stories'. And Walt didn't build Disneyland. His company did, as it would build the MK.

The Empress Lilly

You are still making no sense. Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are synonymous terms. Disneyland is still known to this day as "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom." Disneyland is a Magic Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom Park is a Disneyland.
Technically, sure. But in common parlance the MK is never called a Disneyland. And apart from a few hardcore Disneylanders, nobody calls DL park the MK. It is always Disneyland (without further designation) for the Anaheim castle park, and the MK for the Orlando one.

There is a Disneyland Paris, a Tokyo Disneyland, a Hong Kong Disneyland. But not an Orlando Disneyland. Just as none of the other parks are called Magic Kingdom. (Or Disney World Hong Kong for that matter)

The two castle parks planned and build by the Disney brothers are the originals, their names uniquely apply to them.

lazyboy97o

My take:
Walt fully intended to build a MK in Florida. Even in the same spot as where it was built, both EPCOT and the MK ended up pretty much where Walt planned them, as below in the pics. Walt's plans for both were still vague, his concepts rushed for the Florida legislature and sponsors.

walt_disney_epcot_map.jpg

City%20of%20Epcot%2002.jpg

In this early stage of the Florida Project, and the final stage of Walt's life, Walt himself wasn't very interested in the new MK, his thoughts preoccupied by the other areas.
But both the company's pr and the general public are quick to conflate Walt with TWDC. Walt may not have expected to be busy designing the MK, but the company would. Walt didn't film Mary Poppins, he didn't draw Cinderella, he didn't write 'Comics and Stories'. And Walt didn't build Disneyland. His company did, as it would build the MK.
Walt was involved with the design and development of those projects. The only material related to the Magic Kingdom that date's to his lifetime is the site plan featured in the Disney World Master Plans that is just a copy of Disneyland. Art of EPCOT exists showing us its urban design and more could could probably safely be assumed because we still have influential works like The Heart of Our Cities by Victor Gruen and Garden Cities of To-Morrow by Ebenezer Howard. We have nothing like that for the Magic Kingdom that shows how it was to be unique and different, just a copy of Disneyland.

Technically, sure. But in common parlance the MK is never called a Disneyland. And apart from a few hardcore Disneylanders, nobody calls DL park the MK. It is always Disneyland (without further designation) for the Anaheim castle park, and the MK for the Orlando one.

There is a Disneyland Paris, a Tokyo Disneyland, a Hong Kong Disneyland. But not an Orlando Disneyland. Just as none of the other parks are called Magic Kingdom. (Or Disney World Hong Kong for that matter)

The two castle parks planned and build by the Disney brothers are the originals, their names uniquely apply to them.
While the Magic Kingdom has only ever unofficially referred to as Disneyland East as more of a hypothetical before the Disney World project commenced, Disneyland has been the Magic Kingdom almost since opening. To this day guests at Disneyland's Main Street Station are invited to board the "Disneyland Limited" for "a Grand Circle Tour of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom."

Well, the company lied and you most definitely have it backwards, unfortunately. They do it all the time, to try and make the story more "magical".

What does Disneyland's size have to do with anything?
It doesn't. I was just stating that as a fun fact..I said it probably doesn't prove anything. Perhaps the correct wording towards MK is that this is what Walt originally intended for Disneyland to be, both parks have their differences, and I did say Disneyland was the start of everything. And I don't want to cause a big argument over this. It is really hard to say what exactly was going on through Walt's mind at the time. However, he was not happy of how the community of Anaheim started building around Disneyland, constricting what he was able to do with the area around Disneyland. So then came the secret mass property buying in Florida. Whether or not he intended their to be a "Magic Kingdom," will remain unanswered. There are many ways one can interpret Walt saying that there won't be another Disneyland. I see it as he did not want his new project having the constrictions of what Disneyland ended up having. I see it as Magic Kingdom is Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland is Disneyland. Take it as you may. And as for the "other" Disneylands, well, I think Walt would have been happy with them, but not for them to be referenced as "Disneyland." For as creative as the Disney company is, I think they could have come up with new names for these other parks. This is all just my honest opinion. You don't have to like it.

Californian Elitist

It doesn't. I was just stating that as a fun fact..I said it probably doesn't prove anything. Perhaps the correct wording towards MK is that this is what Walt originally intended for Disneyland to be, both parks have their differences, and I did say Disneyland was the start of everything. And I don't want to cause a big argument over this. It is really hard to say what exactly was going on through Walt's mind at the time. However, he was not happy of how the community of Anaheim started building around Disneyland, constricting what he was able to do with the area around Disneyland. So then came the secret mass property buying in Florida. Whether or not he intended their to be a "Magic Kingdom," will remain unanswered. There are many ways one can interpret Walt saying that there won't be another Disneyland. I see it as he did not want his new project having the constrictions of what Disneyland ended up having. I see it as Magic Kingdom is Magic Kingdom, and Disneyland is Disneyland. Take it as you may. And as for the "other" Disneylands, well, I think Walt would have been happy with them, but not for them to be referenced as "Disneyland." For as creative as the Disney company is, I think they could have come up with new names for these other parks. This is all just my honest opinion. You don't have to like it.

No one is denying the fact that Walt wasn't fond of Disneyland's surroundings. That is absolutely true. It is not unanswered. After Disneyland was built, Walt Disney literally said, "I'm done with theme parks." I take it you're not familiar with that quote? The original EPCOT was originally intended to be a city. Walt Disney hated repeating himself, and had no intentions of building another Disneyland-style park. It was going to be E.P.C.O.T. and that was all. A lot of money was needed to fund this man-made city, and Walt's "people" told him another Disneyland would have to be built, although it was against what Mr. Disney wanted. That is a fact, not an interpretation. E.P.C.O.T. the city never happened, and it is now a theme park.

No one is denying the fact that Walt wasn't fond of Disneyland's surroundings. That is absolutely true. It is not unanswered. After Disneyland was built, Walt Disney literally said, "I'm done with theme parks." I take it you're not familiar with that quote? The original EPCOT was originally intended to be a city. Walt Disney hated repeating himself, and had no intentions of building another Disneyland-style park. It was going to be E.P.C.O.T. and that was all. A lot of money was needed to fund this man-made city, and Walt's "people" told him another Disneyland would have to be built, although it was against what Mr. Disney wanted. That is a fact, not an interpretation. E.P.C.O.T. the city never happened, and it is now a theme park.
That's where you are wrong! He did intend on building Magic Kingdom, granted he was not as enthusiastic about it as his plans for E.P.C.O.T. I will give you that much. MK at the time was more like a passing thought for him. E.P.C.O.T was suppose to be the center of WDW, yes, and I KNOW it was meant to be like an advanced living community, centered in this glorious recreation area. BUT Magic Kingdom was in the original plans. Walt was not BIG on the idea of MK, but it was there. And unfortunately he never lived to see it through. He wanted new opportunities for this land, and have the ability to continue on creating and making new ideas. So yes, Walt was more focused on E.P.C.O.T, and yes, there was also going to be a theme park in this recreational area. I don't recall any of my research on Walt stating that he was "done with theme parks."

Californian Elitist

That's where you are wrong! He did intend on building Magic Kingdom, granted he was not as enthusiastic about it as his plans for E.P.C.O.T. I will give you that much. MK at the time was more like a passing thought for him. E.P.C.O.T was suppose to be the center of WDW, yes, and I KNOW it was meant to be like an advanced living community, centered in this glorious recreation area. BUT Magic Kingdom was in the original plans. Walt was not BIG on the idea of MK, but it was there. And unfortunately he never lived to see it through. He wanted new opportunities for this land, and have the ability to continue on creating and making new ideas. So yes, Walt was more focused on E.P.C.O.T, and yes, there was also going to be a theme park in this recreational area. I don't recall any of my research on Walt stating that he was "done with theme parks."

Just because you're not familiar with the quote, it doesn't mean he never said it. He did. The only Magic Kingdom Walt Disney originally planned was Disneyland. The Magic Kingdom park only came up because money was needed.

I don't blame you for the ignorance, but I do blame the company. Instead of embracing WDW's history, as @lazyboy97o said, they try and relate it to Disneyland's history and sugarcoat everything.

I'm not being ignorant. I'm not just getting this information out of the air. I have done a lot of research on Walt, and the parks, and the history, maybe everything thing I have ever researched about Disney is wrong. Who knows?! I am not claiming I'm a Disney genius, because I'm not. All I was trying to do originally is explain HOW Magic Kingdom is different from Disneyland. And some people had to take it WAY out of proportions
Disney wanted this park to be an escape for his guests and not be able to see the interstate and the cars zooming by. Unfortunately, Disney never got to see this for himself, but I'm sure he would be proud.
And to because I wasn't specific enough, I guess I should have put "Disney wanted WDW to be an escape..." I'm done. Enough said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom