~Walt's Last ride~

goofykid

Original Poster
Walt planned the majority of the MK, and of cousre had Epcot in mind as well.

The last ride he actually had anything to do with was Pirates of the Carr. He died before it was finished.

lazyboy97o

The last ride he actually had anything to do with was Pirates of the Carr. He died before it was finished.
Walt planned no part of the Magic Kingdom. The Pirates of the Caribbean that he planned is in Disneyland, not the Magic Kingdom. The EPCOT he had in mind was a city, not the theme park now known as Epcot.

ABigBrassBand

Son, you got it all wrong! PoTC was in DLR, EPCOT is 100% different from what he planned. But thanks for your post...?

FigmentJedi

Concepts for Space Mountain date back to Walt's time, though he obviously wasn't around to see much further development on it.

captainkidd

A.What on earth was the point of the original post?
B.Walt did have some major input into the Magic Kingdom. It was supposed to be an east coast Disneyland, but with a buffer zone.
C.On the original Behind The Scenes episode on the Travel Channel, it was said the last ride he worked on was Haunted Mansion. On the updated one they said it was Pirates.

Kamikaze

Epcot is not E.P.C.O.T. in any way, shape, or form.

And be glad for that, because if Walt had built the actual E.P.C.O.T., there would be no Disney anymore.

Master Gracey 5

Epcot is not E.P.C.O.T. in any way, shape, or form.

And be glad for that, because if Walt had built the actual E.P.C.O.T., there would be no Disney anymore.

No kidding - while E.P.C.O.T. was a fine idea for the future, but building and running an actual city would have bankrupted Disney. Its one of those concepts where Walt saw beyond the financial aspect a little too much.

sublimesting

From what I have read his last ride he worked on was POC. As he left his final day while planning POC he told Marc Davis "Goodbye Mark." and tiredly left. Marc said he knew he would never see him again as Disney usually said "So long Marc."

Also, he must have had some plans for WDW as it was he who purchased the land for it. I doubt he was just buying land without a strong blueprint in mind of what he wanted.

Wilt Dasney

Others have noted that when Walt unveiled the "Florida Project" on television, the theme park design was just an overhead map of contemporary Disneyland, which hadn't been altered at all. That film was made 2 months before Walt died.

I guess you could make the argument that design for the Magic Kingdom was underway, but it was easier to just include a map of Disneyland. However, if the Magic Kingdom design was at any kind of advanced stage, you would think they would have wanted to show the park they were actually planning, not the one they had already built.

Based on that, I would think that if Walt was alive for any planning of the Magic Kingdom, it was probably only at the very earliest stages.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, he must have had some plans for WDW as it was he who purchased the land for it. I doubt he was just buying land without a strong blueprint in mind of what he wanted.
He did. A rough land share plot plan had been worked out, what would go where, with variations of what we know today. The Themed park was north, EPCOT in the middle, and World Drive connected them north-south. A satellite community (LBV) was also planned. Basically the highest land areas were designated. The MK had some rough layouts and proposals but nothing absolute.

If I recall, Walt only physically stepped foot on the ground he had bought just once.

RiversideBunny

From what I have read his last ride he worked on was POC. As he left his final day while planning POC he told Marc Davis "Goodbye Mark." and tiredly left. Marc said he knew he would never see him again as Disney usually said "So long Marc."

Found this about Walt's last days-

http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/d/disney/uncle_walt.htm

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Many of those rides were planned and developed many years before implementation.....I have read several biographies that mentioned Walt's work on pirates at DL....so yes I think he did have a ton of input and opinion on that before he died....there are pics of him with some of the pirate heads they were working on for different scenes...think it was already decided to be a ride through vs the original walk through....before he passed...sigh. I have always wanted to ride as it is so much longer than the WDW one....someday! :D

Surely he would have used his DL plans in Florida, taking what works vs what didn't....but we will never know, I am so glad Roy replicated much of the magic of DL and WDW. :)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
image.jpg

lazyboy97o

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom