Walt Museum Possible Site Pics

cherrynegra

Original Poster
The Walt Disney Museum has been in the planning stage since the announcement in 2004 by the The Walt Disney Family Foundation to build the museum in San Francisco at the Presidio. As seen on the website for the Presidio, they report that "The Walt Disney Family Foundation is a non-profit organization that has been a tenant at the Presidio since 2001. The Foundation proposes to rehabilitate the building for use as a museum and research center, providing a permanent source of information on Disney, his accomplishments, and the period of American history that he greatly influenced. The museum would include a permanent exhibit on the life of Walt Disney, a traveling exhibit space, a learning center, and an archive, as well as foundation and museum offices."

There's a little bit of confusion as The Presidio has the site listed as the barracks on Montgomery Street. However, in a recent edition of the San Francisco Examiner, they list the site for the proposed
museum as 122 Riley Street. I took a drive this past weekend to take pics of the two proposed sites. Click on the links to see the pics. Of the two sites, I think Site A is the more probable of the sites to house the museum, when and if it ever gets off the ground.

SITE A

Site A is a row of brick buildings that used to be barracks when the Presedio was a working Army base. These are the buildings mentioned on the Presidio's website.

Here is a shot of one of the barracks building that may house the Walt Disney Museum.

A close up shot of the buildings.

Here's a shot of the wooden covered porch that runs along the front of the barracks.

And here's a look of the barracks with a shot of the parking lot...and my car.

And look!! The parking lot also has a version of the Tree of Life!! Okay, not really. Another shot of the large parking lot that runs the length of the barracks.

SITE B

I had always assumed the the "barracks" were to be the site for the Walt museum. But I was very surprised when the SF Examiner reported the site as 122 Riley, which is actually behind the barracks, on a quiet street lined with officer's residences.

The building is a two story brick building. From what I could see the brick building is still in good condition although it definitely needs to be upgraded and refurbished.

One thing that this site has going for it is that it sits right next to the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge, which means it has a beautiful view of the GG Bridge. Unfortunately, it was raining when I took these pics, but you can just make out the GG Bridge in the distance and a shot of the San Francisco Bay.

Here's a shot of the rear of Site B
which also has a parking lot, though not as extensive as the barracks parking lot. As I said earlier, Site B is just in the rear of Site A as you can see in this pic.

dflye

Very impressive photo essay! :D

Hopefully they'll snag the 400K collection on ebay mentioned in another thread. :lol:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Computer Magic said:
Very nice. I just might have to get to SF to see this when complete

Gordon, will you be giving tours?

Of course I will!!! I'll even be wearing the uniform that the guides at MK and DL wear. You know. The one with the skirt, the hat, and the riding crop?:D :lookaroun

Computer Magic

cherrynegra said:
Of course I will!!! I'll even be wearing the uniform that the guides at MK and DL wear. You know. The one with the skirt, the hat, and the riding crop?:D :lookaroun
sound sexy...I'm so there :wave:

CaliSurfer182

I have been waiting a little while for this update, but I can say you honestly delivered. Thanks for sharing the pics and the news. If you happen to see any movement in the creation of this museum in your daily travels could you please let me know. I am extremely interested in this museum.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
CaliSurfer182 said:
I have been waiting a little while for this update, but I can say you honestly delivered. Thanks for sharing the pics and the news. If you happen to see any movement in the creation of this museum in your daily travels could you please let me know. I am extremely interested in this museum.

I will DEFINITELY let you know how it's coming along. I'm really hoping that they begin to break ground some time this year. It would be nice to have a Walt museum in my own back yard.:D

I've got a question.....

Why San Francisco?

It doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps I'm missing something....

Walt wasn't from there and Disney Animation has always been in or around Burbank....is that where the Walt Disney Family Foundation is from? (actually, I just noticed that the article says that....)

It sounds like an interesting place and somewhere very interesting to go and check out, but San Fran really kicks my curiosity into overdrive...also, why use existing buildings for something like this? Why not build new structures that could be better suited for the historical artifacts and what-nots that it will house?

Actually, my curiosity has gotten the best of me and here is an article from JimHillMedia.com (I know you guys aren't that fond of him, but here's the link anyways...)

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1227

...seems a little strange that neither Kansas City or Burbank wouldn't want this museum. It would be a great tourist attraction for either of those areas...especially Kansas City. Not only that....what will it be able to include being that it's not actually sponsored by the Walt Disney Co.? Curious....even after reading the article.....I'll just have to keep my ears open, thanks for the heads up on this tho'.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Well, I got one upped. Roger Colton over at Jim Hill's site is reporting back from a visit he had with Diane Disney Miller detailing the plans for the proposed Walt museum at the Presidio in San Francisco. They have pictures posted as well.

Here's the link.

Chape19714

This is much larger than one man's dream. OMD is nothing of what there should be. One Man's Dream is actually pretty small compared to all there is to show people.

Thanks for the PHOTOS! I vote for site A, but either one is great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom