News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

Heath

So am I reading it correctly that you can purchase a pass then wait 11 monthsnwithout activating, then exchange that pass for a new purchase and then get another year to activate. Basically extending the date of expiration??
Yes, but you would have not used the pass, have to pay the difference in price increase, and subject to availability. So your back to square one, and no point I can see.

CaptainMickey

I am really surprised all levels of passes are still available. Very Happy to see anyone that wanted an AP was able to get one.

I wonder how much money Disney brought in from selling passes the last 2 days?

Fido Chuckwagon

I am really surprised all levels of passes are still available. Very Happy to see anyone that wanted an AP was able to get one.

At some point Disney is going to have to stop selling these even if they don’t “sell out” like they planned to. I’m confident a huge number of AP holders are currently renewing because of fear of getting shut out again. If it becomes apparent that this demand is false, then Disney could have a problem on it’s hand given how expensive these passes have become. Disney has to keep the false sense of demand/scarcity going.

Jrb1979

I'm not surprised at all. That so called unprecedented demand is ending. As much as people want to dismiss it, people don't have the money to spend right now.

My local Cedar Fair park just sold close to a million season passes for this summer. That tells me many are opting to not travel much.

Joeamc

At some point Disney is going to have to stop selling these even if they don’t “sell out” like they planned to. I’m confident a huge number of AP holders are currently renewing because of fear of getting shut out again. If it becomes apparent that this demand is false, then Disney could have a problem on it’s hand given how expensive these passes have become. Disney has to keep the false sense of demand/scarcity going.
Disney can only play that game of creating “fake demand” for so long. At some point, true supply and demand will win. I don’t think disney really wants to create false demand.

scrozier73

This is certainly the way I was thinking...

@scrozier73 posted above that dates now go by purchase date and not first usage so I got concerned and contacted MS but she couldn't confirm one way or another. Since our APs expired at the start of covid, I am clueless to the changes that have been made.
Disney customer service reps sometimes give you mis information lol. I have been told multiple things that contradict each other about annual pass. The best thing to do is call in and ask every question possible and get name of rep employee number time you called etc and take the info with you on vacation to prove you spoke to rep and what you were told. I believe this is the case..... if this is your 1st annual pass or yours expired and your outside renewal window and you purchase a new pass because yours expired your pass should expire 1 day prior to 1st activation at a park. So if you buy pass on april 20 2023 but you dont enter a disney park till July 4th 2023 your pass should expire July 3 2024. Then if you choose to renew you are give 60 days prior to expiration date and 30 days after to renew so a total of 90 day renewal window. Another option is go to the guest services area in disney springs with your written information from phonecall/purchase and ask for clarification before going to a park so you know exactly what to expect with the pass. I was in a different situation because we upgraded our 10 day park hopper passes to annual passes at end of our vacation like 7 years ago. We were coming back to disney for another vacation within 12 months so upgrading to annual passes was cheaper than buying new 7 day hopper passes when we came back. Back then if you upgraded to annual pass before your last ticket day was used disney would credit you full face value of your tickets and put that credit towards annual passes and you paid the difference. Now we just renew our annual passes each year as we own a timeshare and go to disney 2 to 3 times a year. Hopefully this clarifies a few of my posts that may have had wrong information.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If they had a current, valid AP, renewing has always been available. New purchases have been cut off the a while. Because Bob. Otherwise, I agree. Disney is trying to creating a false narrative of FOMO by injecting the “we expect huge demand, and passes may sell out at any time”. I sincerely hope their ruse fails.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Why would you risk losing the renewal rate and (if you pay monthly) having to make the deposit again?

Fido Chuckwagon

Why would you risk losing the renewal rate and (if you pay monthly) having to make the deposit again?
Because if you time the purchase of your passes (especially if you are out of state and buying incredipass) you can save a huge amount of money. For example, my daughter’s pass just expired 3 days ago, and mine expires at the end of June. We are not going again until October. It makes way more sense for us to purchase new passes that don’t have to be activated until October then it does to renew now and continue paying for passes that we won’t activate till October. Of course, I just took advantage of them being on sale now to purchase two of them with the plan of activating them in October, but if they go off sale again then people will be forced to renew and won’t be able to employ this strategy.

PaulZ

Yes, but you would have not used the pass, have to pay the difference in price increase, and subject to availability. So your back to square one, and no point I can see.
So, even though I bought them Wednesday if there’s a price increase next week and they stop selling them before I go to activate them in say a month, I have to pay more and i may not be able to use them at all? I’m on the monthly payment plan.

TrainsOfDisney

So, even though I bought them Wednesday if there’s a price increase next week and they stop selling them before I go to activate them in say a month, I have to pay more and i may not be able to use them at all? I’m on the monthly payment plan.
No, you can activate and use them up until the expiration date on the voucher. The first day of use starts the 1st year of your pass.

Jrb1979

They definitely have a booking problem. The only question now is the magnitude of the problem.
Agreed. I think if you see more discounts offered for this summer then you really know it's a problem. The fact the virtual queue was none existent the last few days tells me demand isn't as high as Disney expected

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom