News Walt Disney World and other major Disney accounts stop posting on social media platform X

Lilofan

While I agree it’s personal I disagree that ROI should be the deciding factor on whether to give them money, I’ve avoided a lot of stores over personal decisions, I enjoy subway but didn’t eat there for a few years over a spokesperson they were using, sometimes withholding cash is the best way to show a company (or person) you disagree with what they’re doing. I think we’re seeing that with Disney itself right now, we’re seeing it with lots of companies right now. People protesting with their wallets is American as Apple pie.

Which is a British invention.

You are welcome.
Who cares where it originated. Apple pie is a symbol of America. Enough said.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Get Ready Medley GIF by The Ed Sullivan Show

el_super

So why do it? Why take an idea that we ALL know Walt would have HATED....and go build it...with his name all over it?

Walt sold his name to the company in the 1960s in order to become personally wealthy. He would have as much say in it today as he would have had in 1965.

AEfx

A $44 billion toy that he’s driving into the ground like one of his SpaceX rockets that fail in spectacular fashion.

I could be an idiot, but it seems to me that setting 20% of my net worth on fire isn’t the wisest idea. I guess I just can’t comprehend Elon’s genius!

If you have that much money, and repeatedly are able to make more, it kind of proves that he is not a hoarder like most billionaires - he isn't all about the love of the number in the bank account, making it higher and higher - what he loves is then being able to do things with it. That's why when he gets lumped in with Bezos, etc. I just shake my head because they are just so different.

In any case, I really do need to correct the misinformation that is spread on social media about SpaceX. Nothing about SpaceX is a failure. Anyone who says that is completely ignorant about how you design a space vehicles - if you want one that actually works and you actually want to make it fly.

SpaceX has been wildly successful and has done in the past decade or so what NASA and other space agencies have stalled at doing for the past 40 years. Reusable rockets are a game changer. The main barrier to space is getting up there and the cost of just sending rockets up because they were all disposable until this point making it absurdly expensive. And we can't progress at anything up there until that part is solved, which SpaceX largely has.

Now they are on to the next part, which is getting large amounts of people and cargo up there. The last launch wasn't a "failure" because the first two parts of it went as expected as they have already been through this process, and the ship part that exploded was the new one they were testing. It was pretty much expected - because it's still being designed and worked on.

They could either spend 20 years sitting and doing computer simulations like NASA does and never actually build things, or they could start building stuff, and find out in real time where the faults are in real world testing. That's how we got to the Moon in the first place, until NASA became so underfunded and risk-averse (especially post-Challenger). Anyone would tell you that this is a superior design process because it moves much more quickly, and real-world testing is always the best, but no one else does it with space because it is way more costly up front.

The data they got from why the ship portion exploded was invaluable, they know exactly what happened, and now will adjust the design to fix it. This will likely happen a few more times until they get a final model.

It's not all about "oh Elon wants to go to Mars". It's about opening up space, and the moon, and all the resources that are sitting out there practically on our doorstep that are very likely what is going to save our actual planet.

There are resources even just as close as the Moon that very well could solve our fossil fuel dependence, but we can't prove it (or take advantage of it) because we haven't gone back there in 50 years. Everything we thought we knew about space (the planets are all dead, there is nothing but rocks up there) has already been disproven by ground scientists (underground oceans on supposedly "desolate" Mars, ice water on the Moon, and so on). There are asteroids passing us by that we could grab and mine back in our orbit that have more precious metals in them than Earth has mined in its entire history. It's just endless.

I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy, but I freely admit to being one of SpaceX - because SpaceX is changing the world, and is the only organization in the we have no one actively get us up there there to do anything about it.

Stripes

In any case, I really do need to correct the misinformation that is spread on social media about SpaceX. Nothing about SpaceX is a failure. Anyone who says that is completely ignorant about how you design a space vehicles - if you want one that actually works and you actually want to make it fly.
I’m not foolish enough to think that SpaceX booster tests ending in failure is indicative of SpaceX failing as a company. It’s a learning lesson for the engineers and an opportunity to make changes. I was simply making an analogy.
I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy, but I freely admit to being one of SpaceX - because SpaceX is changing the world, and is the only organization in the we have no one actively get us up there there to do anything about it.
I’m a fan of SpaceX as well. What the people there are doing is extraordinary. By no means was my comment a slight towards SpaceX. I was comparing Musk’s leadership of Twitter with that of a failed SpaceX rocket (i.e. rapid unscheduled disassembly, etc.), not SpaceX itself. Big difference.

Musk should be proud of the companies he has helped develop, especially Tesla and SpaceX. But his vision for Twitter doesn’t jive with its current business model. He apparently wants Twitter to become a “super-app” along the lines of WeChat in China. If so, he should’ve made the transition before firing half of Twitter’s workforce and burning its existing revenue stream to the ground.
If you have that much money, and repeatedly are able to make more, it kind of proves that he is not a hoarder like most billionaires - he isn't all about the love of the number in the bank account, making it higher and higher - what he loves is then being able to do things with it.
I believe $44 billion would’ve been much better spent on something else. Of course, Elon tried hard to back out of the purchase but Twitter’s board knew they wouldn’t get a better deal from anyone else.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

adam.adbe

But what about once I put some Applejack in it? Nothing makes it more American than boozing it up -- at least that's my version of patriotism! 🤣

British Christmas (Figgy) Pudding should start getting its daily drink of brandy sometime around the beginning of November. Serious types will tell you the pudding is basically zero-proof by the time it's been steamed, but that's just code for "go ahead and add brandy butter."

I tend to think well soused deserts are one of the world's true great uniters.

LittleBuford

It was always about Musk. Not CSAM, not ROI from ads, and not the allegedly antisemitic comments. Musk. Full stop, as the kids would say.
But that’s precisely where the difference lies. The issue is that the platform’s owner has endorsed vile content. So yes, it absolutely is about Musk, because Musk himself has made it so. To offer an analogy—and as I’ve noted before—I would abandon this site in a heartbeat if Steve himself promoted some of the disgusting things that get said here.

Brian

But that’s precisely where the difference lies. The issue is that the platform’s owner has endorsed vile content. So yes, it absolutely is about Musk, because Musk himself has made it so. To offer an analogy—and as I’ve noted before—I would abandon this site in a heartbeat if Steve himself promoted some of the disgusting things that get said here.
I understand your perspective, but wouldn't you think it's at least within the realm of possibility that Iger doesn't like Musk very much because of his various positions on social issues, and probably less so now that he embarrassed him publicly and told him to go **** himself, and that is at least part of the reason they pulled ads?

Tony the Tigger

I understand your perspective, but wouldn't you think it's at least within the realm of possibility that Iger doesn't like Musk very much because of his various positions on social issues, and probably less so now that he embarrassed him publicly and told him to go **** himself, and that is at least part of the reason they pulled ads?
You think that embarrassed Iger? That embarrassed Musk, whether or not he knows.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom