Walkway between Shades of Green and Disney's Grand Floridian Resort to permanently close

Cousin Huet

During our previous visit in April 2022, AK and DHS were a shared bus. It does create longer travel times you must accommodate for.
Yea, that is a rough process. I vaguely remember it and it made for a less than ideal travel that actually caused confusion for a few groups. Having to hit two different modes of transportation for MK and Epcot was not good either. We walked to the monorail as it was quick for us and we like to move and exercise…..also led to some funny stories involving big splashes in the little pond on the right as you come back onto property at night in the dark. A little jog with the stroller hoping to not get ate by Tic Toc Croc is an exciting way to end the evening.

vikescaper

During our previous visit in April 2022, AK and DHS were a shared bus. It does create longer travel times you must accommodate for.
That’s why we have decided to drive to AK and DHS from now on. Since we have annual passes, we don’t have to worry about paying for parking.

vikescaper

Yea, that is a rough process. I vaguely remember it and it made for a less than ideal travel that actually caused confusion for a few groups. Having to hit two different modes of transportation for MK and Epcot was not good either. We walked to the monorail as it was quick for us and we like to move and exercise…..also led to some funny stories involving big splashes in the little pond on the right as you come back onto property at night in the dark. A little jog with the stroller hoping to not get ate by Tic Toc Croc is an exciting way to end the evening.
We always enjoyed the walk to catch the monorail. We would always catch it at the Polynesian for MK and TTC for EPCOT. Coming back after park close was always fun, especially if the sprinklers were running. I would often grab a Dole whip at the Poly to enjoy on the walk back to Shades.

Ayla

I have always thought that Disney should work harder to make more properties accessible by walking. I don't understand why they can't have sidewalks available that connect all the parks and properties. I know people would use them. And I get roads are busy but heck cities have bike lanes and are busy too. Anyway this is a step in the wrong direction.
The outcry after the first person was injured/killed by a car would be enormous..."why didn't Disney DO SOMETHING to prevent people from getting hurt?!?!"

They are, and people still complain about it. Walking is not the only option to get to the Poly or TTC.

Club Cooloholic

The outcry after the first person was injured/killed by a car would be enormous..."why didn't Disney DO SOMETHING to prevent people from getting hurt?!?!"

They are, and people still complain about it. Walking is not the only option to get to the Poly or TTC.
If it's planned out with crosswalks and lights and sidewalks there is no need for outcry. What is more likely is people still trying to cross where there are none of these things and thus a possible accident

vikescaper

If it's planned out with crosswalks and lights and sidewalks there is no need for outcry. What is more likely is people still trying to cross where there are none of these things and thus a possible accident
I am worried about people attempting to walk over to the Polynesian after the walkway is closed. My sister said that she would be willing to go “cross country” just to walk to the Polynesian until I said that it wouldn’t be a smart idea to cross a four lane highway with a median. SoG did say that the guards at the security booth will stop walkers but I have seen how busy they get while checking ID’s for people entering the property.

lewisc

The pedestrian bridge between DS and the hotels across the street accomodates guests walking to DS to shop, dine and drink.

What % of the guests walking from SoG to POLY are going to dine, shop or drink? POLY guests can't dine, shop or drink at SoG? ok maybe a handful a year.

There is no reason for Disney to construct any type of pedestrian crossing.

How many SoG guests use the monorail from poly? Maybe SoG needs to run continuous shuttle to the TTC.

Club Cooloholic

The pedestrian bridge between DS and the hotels across the street accomodates guests walking to DS to shop, dine and drink.

What % of the guests walking from SoG to POLY are going to dine, shop or drink? POLY guests can't dine, shop or drink at SoG? ok maybe a handful a year.

There is no reason for Disney to construct any type of pedestrian crossing.

How many SoG guests use the monorail from poly? Maybe SoG needs to run continuous shuttle to the TTC.
Since Disney doe not own SoG I am guessing you are right. If DoD was willing to foot the bill for a bridge sure, but my guess is they are not at this moment. While we want to say this is a callous move on Disney's part, I don't think it has any motivations other than the progress of a larger road making it more dangerous to offer walking as an option. I actually think we should sometimes remember how cool it is there is this option for Military considering I don't think there are many(any?) other theme resorts that offer such prime real estate for military personnel to stay in.

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
The property is operated by MWR - they have recreation facilities all around the country.

The big thing here is that its off base where as most facilities are on. But mwr has a lot of varied options for recreation.

Last edited by a moderator:

FutureCEO

I have always thought that Disney should work harder to make more properties accessible by walking. I don't understand why they can't have sidewalks available that connect all the parks and properties. I know people would use them. And I get roads are busy but heck cities have bike lanes and are busy too. Anyway this is a step in the wrong direction.
Somehow I don't think someone is going to be making a Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom Lodge walk.

lewisc

Except to connect a major property to the resort’s transportation network…

Except to connect a major property to the resort’s transportation network…
SoG provides transportation. SoG doesn't even contract with Disney for transportation. Disney buses haven't been used in years.

Resort transportation is intended for guests of the resort and people visiting the resort.

flynnibus

Premium Member
SoG provides transportation. SoG doesn't even contract with Disney for transportation. Disney buses haven't been used in years.

Resort transportation is intended for guests of the resort and people visiting the resort.
Transportation planning is a resort wide initiative- not just disney thing.

The road isn’t solely for disney owned stuff. The consequences of changing said road should incorporate all constituents.

There is a valid use case here - which is what i was retorting in your post. There is a reason… it’s only a question of would someone justify the expense

Touchdown

I know it’s further away but, why not walk to GF instead, it will be a smaller road there (I believe.) It should at least make sense to get to MK.

Club Cooloholic

The property is operated by MWR - they have recreation facilities all around the country.

The big thing here is that its off base where as most facilities are on. But mwr has a lot of varied options for recreation.
Thats cool, are there other resorts that offer accommodations through it so close to the parks?

GimpYancIent

Since Disney doe not own SoG I am guessing you are right. If DoD was willing to foot the bill for a bridge sure, but my guess is they are not at this moment. While we want to say this is a callous move on Disney's part, I don't think it has any motivations other than the progress of a larger road making it more dangerous to offer walking as an option. I actually think we should sometimes remember how cool it is there is this option for Military considering I don't think there are many(any?) other theme resorts that offer such prime real estate for military personnel to stay in. For instance, I don't think there is a 4 star hotel in all of Manhattan that is offered for military personnel, hmm makes me wonder why a certain real estate mogul that lives there hasn't opened one? Oh wait I don't have to wonder why at all lol.
The amounts of money expended on roadways at WDW is substantial to the degree a pedestrian bridge would be a very minor expense. All this fear of accidents, crosswalks, lights and traffic control are addressed by a simple pedestrian bridge. The planners i,e, engineers, unimagineers, designers and substandard planners created a problem that can be addressed simply but apparently it is beyond their scope of understanding. DoD, though a contribution to address the cost is reasonable, should not have to foot the cost for something not caused by DoD but by poor Disney planners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom