Volcano Bay

spacemt354

Chili's
Question. Why do you come into a Volcano Bay thread in the Universal folder on these boards just to trash any positive view of the place? Do you have a personal vendetta for anything Universal? Or just a personal vendetta against anything that is positive?
As someone who was/still is thinking about a day at Volcano Bay on our upcoming Disney trip, I very much appreciate a balanced view to the discussion. Questioning the motives of someone offering a critical viewpoint just because you don't agree with it doesn't keep the balance. If I only listened to the positive reviews, I may not have a fully formed perspective. And the perspective wouldn't be complete until I visited for myself anyway.

Having the opportunity to read comments from people like @TheDad @captainkidd and others, it gives another viewpoint. I asked a few days ago where are the people you ascertain are wanting VB to fail, and I still haven't gotten an answer, because nobody here wants it to fail.

Having only 3 days in Orlando on the upcoming trip next week, staying on Disney property, and reading about early capacity, wait-times, and weighing the cost-benefits of our own time/money down there, I am very excited to see it, but want to wait for a longer trip, and wait so I can experience Volcano Bay at full strength with hopefully any/all kinks worked out. If it wasn't for the balance in perspective on this thread, and other places, I wouldn't have been informed enough to make the choice that I'd feel most comfortable with.

No Name

I didn't think you could miss the point that badly, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

I didn't miss the point, I just didn't respond to it because it's not something either of us can prove.

After reading his site for years, I feel that he totally views things from a Universal fanboy perspective. He always wonders what established location should be used for the next immersive land without ever considering that something original could work. Star Wars Land threw him a real bone. He also believes that original rides are inherently less successful than ones based on movie IPs, despite overwhelming evidence against that. Like I said, while I feel that he tries to be unbiased, it sure does come through. You may see it a different way and that's fine, but I guess we must agree to disagree.

On the awards... Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach or any of their slides have never been up for an award. Yet Volcano Bay and the aqua coaster were eligible for, and won, two awards in categories TEA or anyone else would never qualify them for. That only leads me to further conclude that they are wand wavers. But again, I'll agree to disagree.

Last edited:

captainkidd

Question. Why do you come into a Volcano Bay thread in the Universal folder on these boards just to trash any positive view of the place? Do you have a personal vendetta for anything Universal? Or just a personal vendetta against anything that is positive?

It's a discussion board. It's not a prerequisite that we must love everything about whatever the topic is. I initially came on this forum as I was completely psyched about going to VB in a couple of weeks. We already had our tickets, had a cabana rented. I couldn't wait. The theme is absolutely awesome. And I do think it's going to be an awesome park.....Someday.

We are leaving Friday for 16 nights in Orlando. We'll be at Disney for 8 nights and Universal for 8 nights. We've been Universal AP holders for 5 years. We always stay on site. Do I sound like I have a vendetta against Universal? If anything, I constantly find myself defending Universal against Disneyphiles who refuse to acknowledge Universal for what it is.

I'm a huge fan of both. Hard to believe, but there are some of us out there. As huge of a Disney fan I am, I think Disney Springs is absolutely horrible. Should I not be allowed to voice that opinion on the forum because it differs from what others might think? I love Universal's parks and hotels, but I have some major issues with how the park is being operated. True, I haven't been there. Does that mean I'm wrong when I say I think it looks beautiful? I've watched countless videos, read countless reviews. I know myself. I know my children. In it's current state of operation, we won't like VB. That's it. There's no vendetta. No agenda. Just an opinion. Honestly, if I didn't love Universal as much as I do, I wouldn't care what they did.

That being said, if the Mods of this board decide to turn it into all pixie dust and roses, and only allow for discussions about how much we love something, than I will move on. Until then, just accept it. It's nothing personal. It's my opinion.

captainkidd

If you are going to be there for 16 nights, you should roll the dice and take a chance on VB for a day... If you decide to, you should give a review on the park. Would be interesting to hear your perspective on VB.

We're considering it, but it's not likely. We decided to wait and see if things vastly improved. While it sounds like things have gotten better, we're still reading far too much about excessive wait times. I could deal with it, but my kids would be upset.

flynnibus

Premium Member
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
Bioconstruct points out some new color changing effects on the volcano

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/882756703363772416

raven

It's a discussion board. It's not a prerequisite that we must love everything about whatever the topic is. I initially came on this forum as I was completely psyched about going to VB in a couple of weeks. We already had our tickets, had a cabana rented. I couldn't wait. The theme is absolutely awesome. And I do think it's going to be an awesome park.....Someday.

We are leaving Friday for 16 nights in Orlando. We'll be at Disney for 8 nights and Universal for 8 nights. We've been Universal AP holders for 5 years. We always stay on site. Do I sound like I have a vendetta against Universal? If anything, I constantly find myself defending Universal against Disneyphiles who refuse to acknowledge Universal for what it is.

I'm a huge fan of both. Hard to believe, but there are some of us out there. As huge of a Disney fan I am, I think Disney Springs is absolutely horrible. Should I not be allowed to voice that opinion on the forum because it differs from what others might think? I love Universal's parks and hotels, but I have some major issues with how the park is being operated. True, I haven't been there. Does that mean I'm wrong when I say I think it looks beautiful? I've watched countless videos, read countless reviews. I know myself. I know my children. In it's current state of operation, we won't like VB. That's it. There's no vendetta. No agenda. Just an opinion. Honestly, if I didn't love Universal as much as I do, I wouldn't care what they did.

That being said, if the Mods of this board decide to turn it into all pixie dust and roses, and only allow for discussions about how much we love something, than I will move on. Until then, just accept it. It's nothing personal. It's my opinion.
So you canceled your day at VB because you know your kids wouldn't like it? :confused: Did they see any photos, videos or commercials on the park? Don't know of ANY kid who wouldn't want to go there after seeing them. But your kids might be the first.

Obviously there are thousands who enjoy VB because the park still reaches capacity quite often. So Uni must be doing something right. Those guests aren't thrown off by reading bad reviews.

I say give it a chance and see for yourself, without having a chip on your shoulder when you visit like other reviewers did. Some people just want companies to fail and they try to pursuade the public to go along with their views. And I see it here on these boards daily. Yes, like Disneyland, they had some issues at first but most everything has been worked out by now. I think you and the family will enjoy it.

JT3000

I didn't miss the point, I just didn't respond to it because it's not something either of us can prove.

After reading his site for years, I feel that he totally views things from a Universal fanboy perspective. He always wonders what established location should be used for the next immersive land without ever considering that something original could work. Star Wars Land threw him a real bone. He also believes that original rides are inherently less successful than ones based on movie IPs, despite overwhelming evidence against that. Like I said, while I feel that he tries to be unbiased, it sure does come through. You may see it a different way and that's fine, but I guess we must agree to disagree.

On the awards... Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach or any of their slides have never been up for an award. Yet Volcano Bay and the aqua coaster were eligible for, and won, two awards in categories TEA or anyone else would never qualify them for. That only leads me to further conclude that they are wand wavers. But again, I'll agree to disagree.

The fact that you can't prove your accusations is exactly my point. Is a water coaster winning a roller coaster category slightly questionable? Yes, but it hardly serves as evidence of "wand waving" when put in proper context, nor does anything else you've brought up (not that there's anything wrong with being a fan of Fantasmic anyway.) I don't see a Universal fanboy perspective in his reporting, or really any other fanboyism for that matter. I suspect you more likely view his site from a Disney fanboy perspective.

No Name

The fact that you can't prove your accusations is exactly my point. Is a water coaster winning a roller coaster category slightly questionable? Yes, but it hardly serves as evidence of "wand waving" when put in proper context, nor does anything else you've brought up (not that there's anything wrong with being a fan of Fantasmic anyway.) I don't see a Universal fanboy perspective in his reporting, or really any other fanboyism for that matter. I suspect you more likely view his site from a Disney fanboy perspective.

Oh yes, I'm certain I partially do. And you probably view it from another perspective. That is the root of all disagreements.

JoeCamel

We're considering it, but it's not likely. We decided to wait and see if things vastly improved. While it sounds like things have gotten better, we're still reading far too much about excessive wait times. I could deal with it, but my kids would be upset.
Oh, I feel sorry for your inability to take a chance to experience something special. Maybe you will hit the lottery between now and then and not have to pinch.

spacemt354

Chili's
Some people just want companies to fail
You just keep spouting this view with no evidence don't you...

Personally, with 16 days I would take a shot at it. Are you staying on Universal property? If you get there early one day and ride the slides that your kids want to before the waits get too bad, I think you might be in good shape.

spacemt354

Chili's
Well, the entire world sees what Old 45 is doing to every network except FOX NEWS right now, so there's one big example.
What does that have to do with you consistently insinuating and accusing people on this thread they they want VB to fail, then having no proof to back it up? Nothing.

Point is - not everyone has the same view as you, doesn't mean they want something to fail.

andysol

As someone who was/still is thinking about a day at Volcano Bay on our upcoming Disney trip, I very much appreciate a balanced view to the discussion. Questioning the motives of someone offering a critical viewpoint just because you don't agree with it doesn't keep the balance. If I only listened to the positive reviews, I may not have a fully formed perspective. And the perspective wouldn't be complete until I visited for myself anyway.

Having the opportunity to read comments from people like @TheDad @captainkidd and others, it gives another viewpoint.

Eh.... ok? I would argue that those who have attended the park would have an opinion that should weigh more heavily than those that didn't.
And I don't mean tripadvisor, I mean this board.

I would recommend you listen to those people vs those that haven't stepped a foot in Volcano Bay and are simply parroting TripAdvisor reviews while, again, never actually going to the park. The members here who have been have all praised it in unison.
But if you like "opposing viewpoints" from people who have absolutely zero firsthand experience to "balance things out", I guess that's your poragotive. I simply disagree with that line of thinking.
And it's clear from @captainkidd post that he has little to no concept of how and what Tapu Tapu and the overall plan of Volcano Bay was. Whether he lacks the willpower or ability to grasp that concept, or whether he is simply trolling- I still haven't figured out. I mean, 8 days on site at universal and "because of TripAdvisor I know my family won't enjoy it". Even after every on-site guest who goes at rope drop rides every single solitary ride, and several more than once. I'm sorry- I can't take that guy seriously.

That all said- three days in Orlando is certainly not enough time to do Disney and Uni/VB. It's really not enough to do either fully :D I agree to wait until the long trip.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Eh.... ok? I would argue that those who have attended the park would have an opinion that should weigh more heavily than those that didn't.

I would recommend you listen to those people vs those that haven't stepped a foot in Volcano Bay and are simply parroting TripAdvisor reviews while, again, never actually going to the park. The members here who have been have all praised it in unison.
But if you like "opposing viewpoints" from people who have absolutely zero firsthand experience to "balance things out", I guess that's your poragotive. I simply disagree with that line of thinking.
I never base my entire opinion on anyone else's - if you read what I said, I clearly stated that my perspective would not be complete until I visited the park for myself. However, in the meantime, I enjoy the discussion and debate. Not everyone who has been to the park has praised it in unison. A few vocal members on here have positive reviews, and a few vocal members have reservations about a venture to VB. It isn't a trip to the county park, it requires time and for my case in particular, a significant additional cost to the vacation. So I'd rather hear pros and cons here, and elsewhere, and make the choice that is best for me, rather than just blindly follow the opinions of a few members here.

spacemt354

Chili's
"Not everyone who has been to the park has praised it in unison."
On TripAdvisor. On this board, they have.

"a few vocal members have reservations"
... who have never been.

"rather than just blindly follow the opinions of a few members here."
By all means, don't. By all means form your own opinion and attend it when you feel it might be best. But again, I tend to listen to those that have been. The fact someone is so adamant about being negative towards the park they've never attended and arguing with people who have been should raise giant red flags.
Well, you edited your previous post, so maybe you're comprehending that I am not in a position to fly for hours to Orlando only to say -- hmm, let me try Volcano Bay today with a whole group.

It's got iffy reviews, maxes out capacity by 9:30am, but anonymous magic members are telling me I need to go and don't listen to anything negative because they either haven't gone or Trip Advisor doesn't count, or the Orlando media outlets covering the mixed reviews don't count.

I'm not a gambler, so I'd rather wait. And just because I enjoy the banter back and forth, does not me I endorse any one 'side' of the argument. So one viewpoint does not weigh more or less.

BuddyThomas

Well, you edited your previous post, so maybe you're comprehending that I am not in a position to fly for hours to Orlando only to say -- hmm, let me try Volcano Bay today with a whole group.

It's got iffy reviews, maxes out capacity by 9:30am, but anonymous magic members are telling me I need to go and don't listen to anything negative because they either haven't gone or Trip Advisor doesn't count, or the Orlando media outlets covering the mixed reviews don't count.

I'm not a gambler, so I'd rather wait. And just because I enjoy the banter back and forth, does not me I endorse any one 'side' of the argument. So one viewpoint does not weigh more or less.

You have to be pretty bad to be averaging 2.5% on Yelp and 2.5 on Trip Advisor. But I hope they figure it out. I want to go, but I'm not waiting 4 hours for a slide.

captainkidd

And it's clear from @captainkidd post that he has little to no concept of how and what Tapu Tapu and the overall plan of Volcano Bay was. Whether he lacks the willpower or ability to grasp that concept, or whether he is simply trolling- I still haven't figured out. I mean, 8 days on site at universal and "because of TripAdvisor I know my family won't enjoy it". Even after every on-site guest who goes at rope drop rides every single solitary ride, and several more than once. I'm sorry- I can't take that guy seriously.

That all said- three days in Orlando is certainly not enough time to do Disney and Uni/VB. It's really not enough to do either fully :D I agree to wait until the long trip.

Yes. As a Universal AP holder for 5 years and a member of these boards for more than 10 years, I'm trolling.

Won't get into not understanding how Tapu works. It's such a ridiculous statement that I'm tired of defending.

The fact that you say "every single on site guest gets to ride every single slide more than once" tells me you don't have interest in facts. Plenty of on site guests have had issues. Though I'll admit, it seems pretty obvious, staying on site gives you your best bet to have a good day.

If you look back, you will see we cancelled our tickets before any TA reviews were posted. Call it jumping the gun but we cancelled after 1st day of park opening. It was actually a video someone posted of him walking through the park, talking about all the issues, and literally stopping to ask strangers what they thought, and every one agreed with him. Like I said, we simply figured we'd wait to see if things got better before the trip and then we would go. I'm just not reading about enough of an improvement. Not from TA, Google or Yelp. I don't base all my decision on reviews, but when the overwhelming majority gives 1 opinion, why would you not take it seriously?

I know my kids will love the park. I know I will too. I simply don't want to take a chance of getting extremely aggravated by going there knowing how we like to do a water park is currently not in line with how VB works.

mergatroid

You have to be pretty bad to be averaging 2.5% on Yelp and 2.5 on Trip Advisor. But I hope they figure it out. I want to go, but I'm not waiting 4 hours for a slide.

I'm trying to figure why strangers on trip advisor and yelp can't be trusted in their opinions on VB (but love Potter land) and yet strangers on the internet on wdw.magic can be, how does this even work? :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom