Volcano Bay

dreamscometrue

The real world or the internet? Because when I was there in the real world, everyone I saw appeared to be having a great time.
I know that TripAdvisor tends to skew to the negative, but the same people who review to make WWoHP #1 and Disney and Uni parks in top 15, have it ranked at #369. When you've been open 6 weeks, and 65% of 556 reviews are 'Poor' or 'Terrible', there's a myriad of significant issues. If everyone you saw was having a good time, you got very, very lucky, or just didn't look around that much.
Oh, and FWIW, DAK's reviews since May 25th have been overwhelmingly positive...quick estimate has between 4.5 and 5 'stars' in that time. The problem is not unfair reviews, it's that VB is overall a hot mess at this time.

mergatroid

Smdh. Your lack of reading comprehension is more than I can take anymore. The conversation flows the same even if the current system changes... because it was a discussion not a litmus test. Notice I gave the info and acknowledged it. I'm out of patience for having to baby step everything for you. pL0nK

If you weren't so rude and obnoxious to others, it wouldn't be half as funny seeing you make such a fool out of yourself. What was it you said?

"Pay attention to the details... things might start making sense"

and then you got the details wrong, priceless :D

But I'm done with you now. I've tried polite debate and you continue to speak to me and others in a 'holier than though' manner and a condescending tone. You come across as rather sad really. It's a shame because many on here with differing views can debate but then again it's just a silly conversation about a water park at the end of the day and not worth getting upset about.

Enjoy the rest of the debate, you're obviously delighted with everything at VB and I'm genuinely happy for you for that. Many thousands of others are too and that's great. I hope to be blown away by it when I visit as I love Universal, I'm just trying to discuss it in a civilised way with other people on the internet. As you're seemingly unable to do that with others and as I feel like you're dragging me down to your level it's probably best we agree to disagree and ignore one another.

Have a nice day.

lebeau

And there are those that have been saying how ticked people were. It goes both ways and depends who you talk to.

There are some upset people out there. They tend to be screaming the loudest. Go walk around the park though and you will see a very different picture from the one they are painting.

I know that TripAdvisor tends to skew to the negative, but the same people who review to make WWoHP #1 and Disney and Uni parks in top 15, have it ranked at #369. When you've been open 6 weeks, and 65% of 556 reviews are 'Poor' or 'Terrible', there's a myriad of significant issues. If everyone you saw was having a good time, you got very, very lucky, or just didn't look around that much.
Oh, and FWIW, DAK's reviews since May 25th have been overwhelmingly positive...quick estimate has between 4.5 and 5 'stars' in that time. The problem is not unfair reviews, it's that VB is overall a hot mess at this time.

I've heard good things about Pandora. That's great. I'm not into dumping on Disney.

As for the TA reviews, like you said, those are skewed. VB has some operational issues. I will stop short of calling it a "hot mess". It's a beautiful water park that is entertaining thousands of guests daily. The reviews aren't necessarily unfair, but they don't reflect the reality that (I believe) the vast majority of guests are overall happy with the park despite some flaws.

Last edited:

mergatroid

As for the TA reviews, like you said, those are skewed. VB has some operational issues. I will stop short of calling it a "hot mess". It's a beautiful water park that is entertaining thousands of guests daily. The reviews aren't necessarily unfair, but they don't reflect the reality that (I believe) the vast majority of guests are overall happy with the park despite some flaws.

There's many positive things about VB and I'm sure many love their day there. The problem appears to be that many who complain were expecting to be able to ride more slides than they were actually able to do. To those who turn up not realising how a virtual queue works it's easy to see why they get confused or despondent when they're not able to ride slides in the same way as the more traditional water parks.

Now we can debate whether that's the visitors fault for not researching how the system works before they go, but many people don't feel they have to do homework before going to a water park. It does appear to be getting better as the weeks go on and it appears that more people are spending more time on slides which is certainly what I want to see. For some it's fine as it is but the number of complaints appear to be incredibly high. I'm thinking and hoping that with the expansion underway already that it will only improve and more people will feel they've achieved what they wanted in a water park and those complaints will drop completely.

There's a lot of people who love the place already, I've a feeling that number will increase dramatically over time

lebeau

There's many positive things about VB and I'm sure many love their day there. The problem appears to be that many who complain were expecting to be able to ride more slides than they were actually able to do. To those who turn up not realising how a virtual queue works it's easy to see why they get confused or despondent when they're not able to ride slides in the same way as the more traditional water parks.

Now we can debate whether that's the visitors fault for not researching how the system works before they go, but many people don't feel they have to do homework before going to a water park. It does appear to be getting better as the weeks go on and it appears that more people are spending more time on slides which is certainly what I want to see. For some it's fine as it is but the number of complaints appear to be incredibly high. I'm thinking and hoping that with the expansion underway already that it will only improve and more people will feel they've achieved what they wanted in a water park and those complaints will drop completely.

There's a lot of people who love the place already, I've a feeling that number will increase dramatically over time

Agreed.

Just to be clear, there are some very valid complaints out there. I'm not discounting them. If I showed up expecting to ride a bunch of slides and I wasn't able to because Universal rushed the park open, I'd be mad too. I completely get that.

My point is that the negative reviews don't tell the whole story. And a few posters here seem to be basing everything on these reviews. Having been to the park very near its opening day when the operational issues were much worse than they are now, I can tell you that it was full of people who appeared to be enjoying their day.

Definitely agree that VB is only going to get better over time.

captainkidd

I think the issue is just the sheer amount of negative reviews, and bad press. It's very unusual, especially given all the home runs Universal has hit lately. It's hard to turn a deaf ear to the complaints. And when you're talking about so much money and a precious day of vacation, at least I, want to make sure the problems are ironed out before going.

floridagirl57

Tim Tracker did an "Orlando Water Park Week", vlogging and reviewing all of the Orlando area water parks. Volcano Bay ranked highly because of the TapuTapu (or whatever it's called) line holding system. the number of slides and the fun factor on those. I have no doubt that opening day was a disaster but in the long run I think VB will continue to improve and draw more and more tourists to the park.

Disney Analyst

Not to beat a dead horse... but I just feel like it because it annoys me to no end that Universal cut so many corners when we all know they have proven they can do better... If this was the game changer they claimed it to be from a theme perspective they have another thing coming. Gorgeous park, yes. Thrilling and exciting assortment of rides? Yes. The newest hottest thing.... Yes!

Best theming for a water park? Game changer for "Water Theme Parks"... No.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to beat a dead horse... but I just feel like it because it annoys me to no end that Universal cut so many corners when we all know they have proven they can do better... If this was the game changer they claimed it to be from a theme perspective they have another thing coming. Gorgeous park, yes. Thrilling and exciting assortment of rides? Yes. The newest hottest thing.... Yes!

Best theming for a water park? Game changer for "Water Theme Parks"... No.

I put that under 'marketing' hype period. I mean, look at Kong too... or Fallon.. overstating and marketing go hand in hand :)

andysol

You keep saying this as if you have free reign of the park. I don't know how else to put this. What good does not having to stand in a physical line do if you can't do anything else (besides the wave pool and lazy river)?
Did they change the rules? If you've already Tapu'd on a ride, you're not allowed to use any of the dozens of interactive points? Youre not allowed on the Taniwha tube rides that are almost always "ride now"? You're only allowed in one lazy river? You aren't allowed in any of the other quiet pools? You aren't allowed in any of the play areas with your kids? You aren't allowed to eat? You aren't allowed to lounge in a chair and have a drink? Or take a nap? You aren't allowed to even go to the bathroom?

Or are you exaggerating, and you mean the only thing you can't do is get in line for a second slide that has a wait time? I mean, you'd never be disingenuous, right?

Captain Kidd is on the money here. What Captain Kidd may not understand is that he is arguing with a few Universal fans and employees that are drinking the Kool Aid from a firehose and have no interest in seeing the facts here.
Captain Kidd is rarely ever "on the money".
As a Universal fan and employee who drinks Koolaid- im having a serious crisis here. First, I'm not getting paychecks from universal- so something at payroll is screwed up. Second, I live in Texas. Thirdly, I just spent 5 hrs at Disney Springs and loved it. And lastly, I'm sitting here in my DVC room at the Beach Club while my kids rest as we're about to go to the DVC party tonight at Typhoon Lagoon.
Hopefully universal doesn't fire me. Or maybe that's good so accounting can finally get me all of my back pay.
God forbid we have legitimate differing views.

It's tiring having to try and point out to you that nobody, I repeat, NOBODY, is oblivious to the systems.
Except you.

This isn't the park for you. Period. It's you, and people like you, who only care about "ride counts" that just don't get it. Stick to your local regional water parks and ride away. Most of those will have a larger number of slides than Disney and universal ever will. Theming, relaxing and taking your time to smell the roses isn't for you. It won't be for a lot of people- and I look forward to sharing VB with people who do appreciate it for what it's wanting to be.
*queue the response from you saying you do get it and that you do understand Tapu Tapu*
Been there, read that- don't believe you.

Last edited:

No Name

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201707/5631/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ThemeParkInsider+(Theme+Park+Insider)

Well since these awards only come out once per year in June we need to go back to June of 2016 to count them:

• Italy LunEur - Fall of 2016 (Reopened)
Looks like Volcano Bay was chosen over Shanghai Disneyland for "Best New Theme Park" for this award!

Again, you how can you have a problem with their operations when you haven't even visisted this park yet? You are being prejudice from just reading select reviews. Plenty of YouTube vloggers who have praised this park. Don't judge it until you've gone.

Themeparkinsider represents the "industry"? I think not. While Robert Niles and the writers do a decent job trying to be unbiased, they and especially the readers are largely wand wavers. You'd be sorely mistaken to think that their opinion is fully indicative of the general public's.

Shanghai Disneyland wasn't eligible for the Best New Theme Park award because it opened before last July. You can clearly see that Niles added this award specifically to push the point that VB is a theme park.

Making an aqua coaster eligible for the Best New Roller Coaster award is asinine. It's not a roller coaster! The word "roller" means that it has wheels that roll on a track. There is nothing rolling on the Krakatua tube. It may be a coaster, but it's a aqua/water coaster, not a roller coaster.

At least they've gotten grilled for the coaster thing.

mergatroid

Agreed.

Just to be clear, there are some very valid complaints out there. I'm not discounting them. If I showed up expecting to ride a bunch of slides and I wasn't able to because Universal rushed the park open, I'd be mad too. I completely get that.

My point is that the negative reviews don't tell the whole story. And a few posters here seem to be basing everything on these reviews. Having been to the park very near its opening day when the operational issues were much worse than they are now, I can tell you that it was full of people who appeared to be enjoying their day.

Definitely agree that VB is only going to get better over time.

Some valid points there my friend. I think with some reviews that maybe one or two are just jumping on the bandwagon and posting that it's terrible, perhaps to just fit in. If we eliminate the cranks and Uni haters though, we're still left with a high number of complaints (relatively speaking). As you've said though, they did have a less than spectacular opening but fortunately they've made improvements already.

The love/hate aspect of it is rather complicated however. I have no doubt you've both witnessed and have anecdotes of guests 'loving it' and having a great time in general, I say that with 100% belief. However the high number of complaints also can't be ignored and you've admitted that yourself.

Perhaps the issue is there's two types of guests who expect different things. One type prefer to ride lots of slides rather than do other things after paying quite a fee to get in, they have a reason to be upset. The other type perhaps only want to ride a few slides and are there primarily to eat, drink, swim and float (and everything else that we don't have time to list), they have a reason to love it. If this is the case then all Uni need to do is to branch those expectations together and satisfy both groups, hopefully they will.

mergatroid

Tim Tracker did an "Orlando Water Park Week", vlogging and reviewing all of the Orlando area water parks. Volcano Bay ranked highly because of the TapuTapu (or whatever it's called) line holding system. the number of slides and the fun factor on those. I have no doubt that opening day was a disaster but in the long run I think VB will continue to improve and draw more and more tourists to the park.

He did indeed, his ratings were

He likes VB best overall.
He thinks TL has the best themeing of any water park.
He thinks VB has the more exciting slides overall.
He rates BB's 'Summit Plummet' as the most thrilling individual slide out of all the parks.
He rates TL as the best park for those who don't want 'thrilling slides'
He thinks VB is the most relaxing park on a vacation due to Tapu, Tapu

captainkidd

Did they change the rules? If you've already Tapu'd on a ride, you're not allowed to use any of the dozens of interactive points? Youre not allowed on the Taniwha tube rides that are almost always "ride now"? You're only allowed in one lazy river? You aren't allowed in any of the other quiet pools? You aren't allowed in any of the play areas with your kids? You aren't allowed to eat? You aren't allowed to lounge in a chair and have a drink? Or take a nap? You aren't allowed to even go to the bathroom?

Or are you exaggerating, and you mean the only thing you can't do is get in line for a second slide that has a wait time? I mean, you'd never be disingenuous, right?

Captain Kidd is rarely ever "on the money".
As a Universal fan and employee who drinks Koolaid- im having a serious crisis here. First, I'm not getting paychecks from universal- so something at payroll is screwed up. Second, I live in Texas. Thirdly, I just spent 5 hrs at Disney Springs and loved it. And lastly, I'm sitting here in my DVC room at the Beach Club while my kids rest as we're about to go to the DVC party tonight at Typhoon Lagoon.
Hopefully universal doesn't fire me. Or maybe that's good so accounting can finally get me all of my back pay.
God forbid we have legitimate differing views.

Except you.

This isn't the park for you. Period. It's you, and people like you, who only care about "ride counts" that just don't get it. Stick to your local regional water parks and ride away. Most of those will have a larger number of slides than Disney and universal ever will. Theming, relaxing and taking your time to smell the roses isn't for you. It won't be for a lot of people- and I look forward to sharing VB with people who do appreciate it for what it's wanting to be.
*queue the response from you saying you do get it and that you do understand Tapu Tapu*
Been there, read that- don't believe you.

Well, at least you don't put words in people's mouths. And at least YOU'RE not exaggerating. If you seriously can't distinguish the difference between not getting to go on slides and going to the bathroom, you're as helpless as your posts. All this has ever been about is not getting to go on any slide you wish while waiting for the one you're tapped into. That's it. No one said anything about going to the bathroom, or taking a nap or eating. If you still can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

Funny, how you say "God forbid people have differing views." I'm not the one hurling out insults at other people. Disagree all you want, but do you need to put people down because they don't agree with you? Is that what you teach your kids?

Last edited:

JT3000

Themeparkinsider represents the "industry"? I think not. While Robert Niles and the writers do a decent job trying to be unbiased, they and especially the readers are largely wand wavers. You'd be sorely mistaken to think that their opinion is fully indicative of the general public's.

Shanghai Disneyland wasn't eligible for the Best New Theme Park award because it opened before last July. You can clearly see that Niles added this award specifically to push the point that VB is a theme park.

Making an aqua coaster eligible for the Best New Roller Coaster award is asinine. It's not a roller coaster! The word "roller" means that it has wheels that roll on a track. There is nothing rolling on the Krakatua tube. It may be a coaster, but it's a aqua/water coaster, not a roller coaster.

At least they've gotten grilled for the coaster thing.

The only thing I see clearly is the complete lack of evidence for your assumptions about TPI. I guess everyone is secretly a Universal employee these days. I wonder how badly Robert got reprimanded for allowing DisneySea to win the Best Park category so many times. He's probably cleaning restrooms as we speak. Oh well, at least the Kool-Aid in the cafeteria is delicious.

No Name

The only thing I see clearly is the complete lack of evidence for your assumptions about TPI. I guess everyone is secretly a Universal employee these days. I wonder how badly Robert got reprimanded for allowing DisneySea to win the Best Park category so many times. He's probably cleaning restrooms as we speak. Oh well, at least the Kool-Aid in the cafeteria is delicious.

At least Tokyo DisneySea is a theme park.

captainkidd

Can't wait! I also believe that having opposing view points and an open mind make the world go round!

You are absolutely correct. Problem with some on this board is the same problem as human beings we've had since the beginning of time. Some can't have a conversation without being rude and obnoxious to others. I've always had this hope that in this day and age where there is so much coverage on the news about bullying and how it has such a terrible affect on people especially on social media, that people would finally learn, and just be nice. But it never happens.

raven

Well, at least you don't put words in people's mouths. And at least YOU'RE not exaggerating. If you seriously can't distinguish the difference between not getting to go on slides and going to the bathroom, you're as helpless as your posts. All this has ever been about is not getting to go on any slide you wish while waiting for the one you're tapped into. That's it. No one said anything about going to the bathroom, or taking a nap or eating. If you still can't understand that, I don't know what to tell you.

Funny, how you say "God forbid people have differing views." I'm not the one hurling out insults at other people. Disagree all you want, but do you need to put people down because they don't agree with you? Is that what you teach your kids?
Question. Why do you come into a Volcano Bay thread in the Universal folder on these boards just to trash any positive view of the place? Do you have a personal vendetta for anything Universal? Or just a personal vendetta against anything that is positive?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom