Volcano Bay

Tom Morrow

It would also be nice if the Disney fanboy response weren't to ask for comparison pictures of parks that aren't even owned by Disney.
I asked for them because Universal is marketing this as a game changer, immersive, etc. They aren't suggesting its merely better than Disney's water parks, but better and more immersive than all water parks. So its nice to point out that is a dishonest marketing claim when equally impressive or more immersive water parks already exist.

Unlike local parks, people from all over the globe travel to Orlando to experience Disney and Universal, so I think its warranted to compare Volcano Bay to more than Disney's offerings.

Casper Gutman

I asked for them because Universal is marketing this as a game changer, immersive, etc. They aren't suggesting its merely better than Disney's water parks, but better and more immersive than all water parks. So its nice to point out that is a dishonest marketing claim when equally impressive or more immersive water parks already exist.

Unlike local parks, people from all over the globe travel to Orlando to experience Disney and Universal, so I think its warranted to compare Volcano Bay to more than Disney's offerings.

So you feel Uni should advertise it as "a decent water park?" Have you ever seen an advertisement before?

Shall we go through all of Disney's advertising for the last decade with the same nitpicking attitude and see how they hold up? For instance, let's all run up to a Disney Princess in front of the castle and frolic with her without a mob of toddlers and handlers. I have a sneaking suspicion you might be a little less strict regarding Mouse House PR.

Seriously, Disney is actually adding meaningful attractions for the first time in a decade and SWL looks awesome. You don't have to lash out at Uni. Enjoy the competition.

JT3000

This is what you and that other poster don't get. In order to be a game changer in the eyes of its clientele, that's all Volcano Bay needs to be.

The average visitor to Orlando's parks doesn't have any particularly impressive water parks near their home. They simply aren't that common. Most water parks are still on par with what a Six Flags or Cedair Fair can offer and nothing more.

rushtest4echo

This is what you and that other poster don't get. In order to be a game changer in the eyes of its clientele, that's all Volcano Bay needs to be.

Completely agreed. I don't believe myself or Tom or a few of the other have ever claimed any different. It is a game changer for most people visiting. But it's not a completely unique concept that is so different from all water parks before it that it deserves to be in a separate category. I'm not sure any other arguments have really been made over the last 10-20 pages dating back to the other thread as well. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. One side feels that Universal's marketing dept and the general, uninformed public may consider this park on a totally different plane from all other water parks. The other side sees that as either marketing hyperbole or a lack of information. It's equivalent to people saying that Rip Ride Rocket is an entirely different ride not even worthy of being called a roller coaster. Instead it's a multi-sensory coasting experience that is far more revolutionary than your standard coaster fare. Plenty of people would believe that too, but people who have done X-coasters, vertical lifts, onboard selectable audio would probably consider it not that revolutionary.

The average visitor to Orlando's parks doesn't have any particularly impressive water parks near their home. They simply aren't that common. Most water parks are still on par with what a Six Flags or Cedair Fair can offer and nothing more.

Absolutely agree. It'll be a top water park in the country for sure. But as Corey made the point: in the end a water park is just a water park. Volcano Bay is going to be an excellent water park. Is it going to be a water "theme" park? Sure, that's fine, but it's not the only one.

lazyboy97o

A water park is really just a water park, it's the thrills that make them different. You theme people will most likely be disappointed with Universal's new water park.
It is Universal who is calling it a water theme park. That was not made up by others to make Universal look bad. It is how Universal has chosen to describe their work.

Casper Gutman

It is Universal who is calling it a water theme park. That was not made up by others to make Universal look bad. It is how Universal has chosen to describe their work.

And Animal Kingdom is "Nahtazu" - PR guys come up with slogans that might not correlate directly to reality. It's a themed water park, just like Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.

BrianLo

Merely better than Disney's waterparks.

Sometimes I wish Universal fandom had higher expectations than merely being better than Disney. It doesn't even need to be good anymore, just better than Disney.

The constant comparisons need to be put to rest. Criticisms don't need to revert back into this perceived us vs them war. It's starting to turn into the 14 year olds bickering about their preferred video game platform.

JT3000

Sometimes I wish Universal fandom had higher expectations than merely being better than Disney. It doesn't even need to be good anymore, just better than Disney.

The constant comparisons need to be put to rest. Criticisms don't need to revert back into this perceived us vs them war. It's starting to turn into the 14 year olds bickering about their preferred video game platform.

You must have a pretty low opinion of Disney. Regardless, I'm not traveling halfway across the world to visit a water park, so yes, I'm only concerned with whether or not a new Orlando offering can top the older ones. The countless tourists who only experience these sorts of things while in Orlando will likely feel the same way. That was pretty much the entire point of my post(s).

I can't speak for others, but my posts are never "us vs them." I don't receive a paycheck from either company, they both take from it. You can't really expect people to not compare two direct competitors in any medium though. It beats comparing a video game platform to a calculator. Speaking of which, most of those prepubescents with brand loyalty issues argue over the Internet because mommy could only afford one console. The only people who shouldn't be allowed to make any comparisons are those who lack the necessary experience with each product. Regrettably, we've certainly had our share of those here.

Last edited:

BrianLo

I can't speak for others, but my posts are never "us vs them."

This was the origin of this conversation...

If Disney were the ones building a new water park, I feel like it could be the Chester & Hester's Dino-rama of water parks and we still wouldn't hear a peep out of a certain crowd.

I think there is general agreement though that the park in some ways certainly looks better than the other local competition. But in no way is it a classification of its own. This whole marketing shenanigans will provide years of fun debate, I'm sure.

Last edited:

JT3000

That's not why people are currently comparing VB to other parks. I posted that weeks ago. I still stand by that statement though. A number of people on this forum (and others) apply different standards and formulate their verdict on a new park/attraction/etc based merely on where it's located.

rushtest4echo

I think there is general agreement though that the park in some ways certainly looks better than the other local competition. But in no way is it a classification of its own. This whole marketing shenanigans will provide years of fun debate, I'm sure.

BLASPHEMY, BURN THE HERETIC!

I'm not sure how to take your first and second sentences (honestly, I don't want to infer anything). But I thought most of these pages of debate have in fact related to people arguing whether or not VB is establishing a new paradigm in the water park industry, while others are a bit more in tune with reality and will agree that while it's certainly going to be Orlando's finest water park in many aspects- it's not deserving of its own classification. You're obviously in that camp as am I and everyone else that I've seen offer criticism of Universal's claim on that matter.

Still, the debate seems to be undulating between new standards for the industry vs new standards for the region. I don't believe most arguments have centered around the region except as a fallback for when people can't explain why it's not deserving of a different classification within the industry at large.

Last edited:

andysol

http://blog.universalorlando.com/food/volcano-bay-food-reveal/

Looks like VB will be getting unique food, so excited!
This is probably needlessly inflammatory, but if you can't be needlessly inflammatory once or twice a day, what's the point of life?

Looks a lot better then the Pandora food!

Not impressive at all for a waterpark. Why? Because there is probably some obscure park in Singapore that offers more luxury dishes. So if you think that food looks good, you're either:
-Ill-Informed
-A Universal Fanboy
-Don't know the industry like me, the all knowing expert
-Just desperately fishing for reasons to say Universal is better than Disney

So I poo poo all those dishes and if you disagree with my opinions then you're ignorant. :rolleyes:

rushtest4echo

Not impressive at all for a waterpark. Why? Because there is probably some obscure park in Singapore that offers more luxury dishes. So if you think that food looks good, you're either:
-Ill-Informed
-A Universal Fanboy
-Don't know the industry like me, the all knowing expert
-Just desperately fishing for reasons to say Universal is better than Disney

So I poo poo all those dishes and if you disagree with my opinions then you're ignorant. :rolleyes:

Your contribution to the discussion has been noted, and is appreciated. What you can actually do (and maybe I've should have done) is distill those four points down to two.

If you feel that Volcano Bay is head and shoulders above other parks, so much so that it deserves it's own title, then you've either not researched the topic, or you probably just don't care and are posting uninformed gibberish, often with the motive of proving Universal's superiority to Disney when that's not what's being discussed. So which is it with you? Are you not researched on the topic just looking to argue a point that you have no evidence to support? Or are you looking to compare Disney v. Universal which isn't a point of discussion, for me at least. When your reaction to evidence presented against the argument is to lash out, name call, and try to change the subject- then I don't really know what to conclude. And referring to ill-informed people as ill-informed isn't supposed to be an insult. It's just a statement about their credibility.

Me actually being informed/having visited the thing I'm discussing doesn't make me a know it all. It means I take the time to research things and visit them before offering my opinion on them (it also helps to work in the industry and have studied such things at a hospitality college, and not at a park as a mid-level manager or ride operator, though I did that early in my career as well). That's a level of expertise you apparently don't appreciate.

And again, you bickering about obscurity isn't going to disprove any of what I've said or proven. Several of the parks that I've mentioned are awarded for their innovation, they're known throughout the industry for their offerings. They're some of the top attended parks on earth. They've got theming and offerings every bit as impressive as anything in Orlando. They're not obscure. What your argument boils down to is "We shouldn't care about some obscure Disneywaterland off in China or Tokyo or whatever and their stupid Volcano ride- Cars is the best ride because it's here in the US". I really don't even know how to combat such ignorance. I'm guessing you don't compare Disney or Universal's offerings to any other parks outside the US as well, correct? You don't think DisneySea is a superior park within the industry? I can't guarantee that the overwhelming majority of people that visit the US parks don't know or care about DisneySea- so that park is now irrelevant to a discussion about the world's top parks, correct?

When you're asked what are the world's best and most innovative theme parks, do any outside the US come to mind? What about dark rides, or roller coasters? Do any outside of Orlando in your case? Just how ill-informed are you? Or is it just relating to water parks?

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

I didnt even read the rest of your post because I can stop you here. We are intelligent enough to discern Universal's marketing from reality. I haven't read anyone say this outside of marketing from a company which is vying for our dollar. And I certainly haven't said it myself.

So stop putting words in our mouth and go write an email to Universal instead of wasting your time here.

Very good, what I said does not apply to you then (now). It appears you've revised your feelings on the matter since this post, where I quoted 5 separate statements of yours on the subject, which I addressed individually: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/posts/7626330 . For those who feel VB will in fact do those things, what I've said and proven still applies.

Let's just put this matter to rest already. I've spent pages making my point with documentation. You've provided no evidence against the majority of my assertions beyond attacking my attitude, calling me names, or somehow using my credible sourcing against me.

Can't we just conclude that you don't care for or dispute the evidence I'm supporting my argument with and I don't care for your utter lack of any evidence at all?

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

http://blog.universalorlando.com/food/volcano-bay-food-reveal/

Looks like VB will be getting unique food, so excited!

Thanks for posting this! I was excited reading the blog post, but the video was a bit disappointing. A burger with fries and a chicken sandwich? Not necessarily revolutionary. However, at the bottom of the article they did have a picture of sushi. Not sure why they didn't mention that in the video! I'm still excited about doing dinner at VB and watching the volcano. I hope that doesn't disappoint.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom