Visiting the resorts?

disneyspirit

Original Poster
I've stayed at the AKL a few times and I'd love to visit the lobby and grounds again despite not having room or dinner reservations. Are you permitted to drive onto the property just to visit? Ditto the Wilderness Lodge, though I think you can just take a boat from MK if you're that interested.

dreamfinder

You are. Just tell the guard at the gate you would like to go walk around. Some resorts that have limited parking, or during busy seasons you may be denied. This is typically going to occur at the Poly, the Contemporary, and Boardwalk. Otherwise they should have sufficient space for you to park.

disneyspirit

Original Poster
You are. Just tell the guard at the gate you would like to go walk around. Some resorts that have limited parking, or during busy seasons you may be denied. This is typically going to occur at the Poly, the Contemporary, and Boardwalk. Otherwise they should have sufficient space for you to park.
Thank you so much, that's great to hear. I am looking forward to seeing AKL again. Pictures don't do it justice.

disneyspirit

Original Poster
we've done this a few times,never had any issues and loved all the resorts we visited
Terrific. It's a little early for me to be so happy about this, we go in March, but I am. We did go to the AKL when we had dinner reservations at Jiko once, and it seemed to me the guard was making sure we had a valid reason to drive in, beyond I just want to see the place again. Ditto Fort Wilderness last year when we had Hoop de Doo reservations.

disneyspirit

Original Poster
You can always use Disney Transportation, Taxis or Uber/Lyft to get to any of the resorts as well.
Thanks for the idea. It really didn't make sense that you could only go there if you were staying there. Disney knows how to do a lobby. The first one I saw was the Polynesian back when they had birds and waterfalls, I was hooked. We have a 'day off' so I think checking out the different resorts would be a great activity.

SAV

This past Monday after doing a "Beach only" trip I needed my fix, so we drove to Disney Springs. Walked around there then caught a bus to Poly. Explored a little at the resort, rode the Monorail through Epcot, went back to Poly to have a Dole Whip and watch Wishes from the beach. It was a great evening.

disneyspirit

Original Poster
This past Monday after doing a "Beach only" trip I needed my fix, so we drove to Disney Springs. Walked around there then caught a bus to Poly. Explored a little at the resort, rode the Monorail through Epcot, went back to Poly to have a Dole Whip and watch Wishes from the beach. It was a great evening.
That sounds like a great day. I happen to think the monorail is a nice ride, myself. You got a lot in for free.

njDizFan

We usually plan a resort day into our trip. Start with a breakfast at the Poly and monorail around to the Comtep and GrandFlo, eventually getting on a boat to WL and Fort Wilderness. You can also do an Epcot resorts crawl via boat or hit up a few moderates like Port Orleans on a friendship boat out of Disney Springs.

It's a great time!

bunnyman

Stayed at the WL last week, and they have signs posted at the guard booth that parking is limited due to the construction (i.e. to guests and those dining with reservations). They have a large hunk of the parking lot fenced off with construction materials, trailers, etc.

Do you know how the cost of using a taxi from AKL to the Grand Floridian (and back) would compare to the cost of a car rental?
The last time I used a taxi on property it was a similar distance and was around 18 for a one way trip. Renting a car for one day during trip may be a pain because you have to wait and fill out paper work and waste time doing all that. The cost may be not much more than a taxi though if you could get a good deal.

rob0519

Do you know how the cost of using a taxi from AKL to the Grand Floridian (and back) would compare to the cost of a car rental?

The Mears website estimates a one way trip from AKL to the GF at around $17.00, so $34 plus tip round trip. I would assume Uber to be in the same price range or maybe a little less. It's highly unlikely you could rent a car for less than that amount.

The cheapest one day rental I could find at the Swan/Dolphin was about $48 a day including taxes, but of course, not gas. The collision waiver would be an additional $24.95 per day. So unless you want to drive around the area for a while and see other sights (like Celebration or an Outlet Mall) the taxi would probably be your less expensive option.

Sonconato

I've stayed at the AKL a few times and I'd love to visit the lobby and grounds again despite not having room or dinner reservations. Are you permitted to drive onto the property just to visit? Ditto the Wilderness Lodge, though I think you can just take a boat from MK if you're that interested.
We are locals and a few years back, my son and husband selected a Resort to visit each Friday. They would tell the guard that they wanted to eat at the Food Court, which they did eat at and then after eating, they would walk around and explore the entire Resort area, including entertainment that occurs at some of them. They loved it and have visited every single Disney Resort plus the Swan and Dolphin. They said if anybody ever wanted to get away from the Parks for a few hours, visiting a Resort would be a great thing to do. They are like Museums and you could probably talk to a Cast Member or do some research about the design of the space to learn a lot about each theme. For instance, check out this website for the Wilderness Lodge.

http://www.wildernesslodgesite.com/content/secrets-and-history-wilderness-lodge

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom