Universal's Lack of Concept Art

Turtle

Original Poster
Is it just me or does Universal Orlando lack when it comes to concept art during press announcements?

JT3000

It's almost better when there's no concept art. Fans won't see what they have planned, and they won't know what's missing from the original idea.

Universal has a knack for releasing concept art that looks nothing like the finished product. Rockit comes to mind immediately:
rip_ride_rockit_highres.jpg

BryceM

Universal has a knack for releasing concept art that looks nothing like the finished product. Rockit comes to mind immediately:
rip_ride_rockit_highres.jpg

Looks like it to me, except for the fact that the "crowd surfer" element is over the station, instead of over the street.

Hedwig's Keeper

Disney has always had a lot of animators (relative to Universal). They have to give them something to do when they're not making movies. "Hey, I got an idea, now make a 100 drawings of it!"

Turtle

Original Poster
Disney has always had a lot of animators (relative to Universal). They have to give them something to do when they're not making movies. "Hey, I got an idea, now make a 100 drawings of it!"
walt disney animation does not do the concept art/development for the rides from what i know

JT3000

Looks like it to me, except for the fact that the "crowd surfer" element is over the station, instead of over the street.

Look closely. The coaster's lift was supposed to be part of a giant HOLLYWOOD sign that never made it. And the lift itself would have been adorned with a video screen instead of a simple banner. Plus the coaster doesn't crash through the lift like that, and the track doesn't glow.

BryceM

Look closely. The coaster's lift was supposed to be part of a giant HOLLYWOOD sign that never made it. And the lift itself would have been adorned with a video screen instead of a simple banner. Plus the coaster doesn't crash through the lift like that, and the track doesn't glow.
Glad the Hollywood sign didn't happen. The video screen would have been way cool. But I'm also glad the track doesn't glow. Nothing looks cooler than being at HHN and seeing what looks like flashes of light gliding across the night sky. RockIt just looks 100x better at night.

JustInTime

Glad the Hollywood sign didn't happen. The video screen would have been way cool. But I'm also glad the track doesn't glow. Nothing looks cooler than being at HHN and seeing what looks like flashes of light gliding across the night sky. RockIt just looks 100x better at night.
What exactly are you talking about? I am curious. Your post doesn't go with the flow of the thread and I am curious about the Hollywood sign. :)

BryceM

What exactly are you talking about? I am curious. Your post doesn't go with the flow of the thread and I am curious about the Hollywood sign. :)
As JT3000 pointed out, look behind the coaster in the concept art picture. You can see what looks to be a massive Hollywood sign.

JustInTime

Correct. The days of Walt grabbing animators to design attractions are long over.

Is the poster on your ignore list?

Nope. I only have one person on mine and even if they are on your list, the post is still there but says, "This user is on your ignored list, view anyway?" I can not see that in this thread. It is so odd. This thread only has 15 posts from what I can see.

BryceM

Nope. I only have one person on mine and even if they are on your list, the post is still there but says, "This user is on your ignored list, view anyway?" I can not see that in this thread. It is so odd. This thread only has 15 posts from what I can see.
Maybe the user has you blocked (not to call anyone out) and therefore, you cannot see their posts? I'm not really sure how the whole "blocking" thing works on here, so I'm just guessing. Haha.

bsiev1977

It's almost better when there's no concept art. Fans won't see what they have planned, and they won't know what's missing from the original idea.
I agree completely. Concept art is just that, based off of the barest concept of the attraction. Something that somebody draws up as soon as the idea is given thought. How often does concept art do nothing besides give people something to complain about when it doesn't look the same as the finished product. Better to just let people imagine what an attraction will be.

Californian Elitist

I agree completely. Concept art is just that, based off of the barest concept of the attraction. Something that somebody draws up as soon as the idea is given thought. How often does concept art do nothing besides give people something to complain about when it doesn't look the same as the finished product. Better to just let people imagine what an attraction will be.

Right. I agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom