Universal with Kids

Tinkerkelle

The pattern is on the medallion on the ground where you stand to cast the spell and on the map that comes with the wand. You do have to be rather accurate. Small, precise motions are best and try to find the camera that detects your wand tip - point directly at it. It can be frustrating if it doesn't work after you keep doing what you think is the right motion but we got all the spells cast and most were very simple. There always seems to be CMs watching and waiting to step in to help if someone is having difficulty. Stand on the medallion, the closer to the motion detector the better. Occasionally, I put my hand round my sons' hands to help them make the motion if they were having real difficulty - it helped them get the idea.
My older son got the elder wand and it fit into the locker. I had read that it wouldn't but it did - perhaps they slightly shortened the box because of the locker situation? We had to angle it, wouldn't fit straight in, but it wasn't a cram in situation. Younger son got Voldemort's wand. The box was a fraction shorter so we used this box for both wands after the first day.
Sharing a wand would be simple as you have to cast the spells one person at a time anyway. The spell areas can get quite busy but short queues seem to naturally form when there are people waiting for a turn - we had a great time and the "spells" are all fantastic - I especially liked the one at the lantern shop, very impressive!!

Ms.Sunshine

I would say too young for Universal. Most of the rides are for older children. I went this year for the first time to Universal and my kids are 10 and 12. The reason I didn't go before is there just isn't much to do for the smaller kids. It can be done but many rides are just to intense for the little ones weather they are tall enough or not. Forbidden Journey is most likely to intense for a 4 year old and I don't know the minimum height but it's not a kiddie ride.

You need to hit Minions if you do go. Cat in the Hat. Woody Wood ****** coaster is a small one. Like I said it can be done.

Sadly, (but not sadly:p) HP is for me. She's only coming because my MIL can't come along with us to babysit her at the hotel. Otherwise, it would just be me and Hubby doing universal.;) I mostly was trying to find a few things she could do so I'm not being completely selfish.:happy:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Also- if you drop the wand and the tip gets scuffed/dinged, it doesn't work either. I got a robe on Etsy for my 6 yr old which has a wand holder- and she thought she put it in, but it just missed and dropped straight nose-down. They were great at Olivanders and said "we'll repair it"- and brought out a new one (I'm sure they replace those tips quite a bit).

Note- the robe was a HUGE hit. I even had 2 groups of people want to take pics with my little girl because it was so cute. People pointing at her walking by smiling, etc. She loved every second of that (she's a born showman).

I couldnt find the exact one I got- but it was similar to this (no embroidery, but did have the scarf). $50 beats the price at the store by a mile (I think a robe was $150 if I recall).
https://www.etsy.com/listing/233033064/custom-embroidered-kid-wizard-school?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=harry potter cloak and scarf kid&ref=sr_gallery_7

48" is the min. height for forbidden journey. Gringotts, etc- your 4 yr old would be fine with. As long as the requirement is 42", he sounds like he's up for anything. Sounds more like your 6 yr old would be hesitant on Forbidden Journey and the mummy (both 48") as theyre both pretty dark (but not completely). Only you know your kids.
Heights for rides are located here:
http://touringplans.com/universal-studios-florida/attractions/height-requirements
http://touringplans.com/islands-of-adventure/attractions/height-requirements

I disagree completely. Maybe the 4 year old- ill know in a couple years.

My 6 yr old (Just turned 6- we did a daddy/daughter trip to uni for her birthday at 48") was chosen at Olivanders. She also had a blast doing spells. I, being a dad, even stood in line for a butterbeer without her while she moved armor and made frogs spit water by herself. It was the highlight of her trip doing the spells.

@RandomPrincess don't let others project what their kids are or arent on yours. (I'm not picking on you @englanddg - its just something I see a lot on "advice" threads). Some kids are mature. Some arent. Some can handle things. Some cant. Some things you think theyll be able to handle, and they cant. Some things you think they wont handle, and they love and thrive. Thats part of the joys. So get those wands, and if they suck and hate it- then it is what it is. But they just might love it, and you'll be happy about it. :)
I didn't say don't get one, but I wouldn't rush in to buy them all interactive wands if they don't get it, or find the challenges confusing or frustrating. At 4, I certainly don't see it working (regardless of maturity). 6, perhaps, with guidance. It's a tad more complex than say, Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, to get the proper spell. Even I found some of the Diagon challenges a bit frustrating (Hogsmeade was much easier, as I recall). My point was, for the additional cost of the wands, it's something to consider before going all out. Not that she should skip the wand experience entirely (I don't think she should, it adds so much, as you noted, to the experience of Diagon / Hogsmeade.

And, all that said, they always work on return visits! So, I suppose they could just be looked at as an investment for a future trip! :p

EngineJoe

Sadly, (but not sadly:p) HP is for me. She's only coming because my MIL can't come along with us to babysit her at the hotel. Otherwise, it would just be me and Hubby doing universal.;) I mostly was trying to find a few things she could do so I'm not being completely selfish.:happy:

Use child swap as much as possible. I think pretty much all the rides at universal have them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Bring a golf towel for Islands of Adventure. Or, if going in colder months, a change of clothes. Bilge Rats and Ripsaw will not get you wet, they will get you soaked!

lebeau

I would say too young for Universal. Most of the rides are for older children.

I think this is a myth. My six year old is extremely timid and dislikes a lot of rides and attractions at the Magic Kingdom because she thinks they are too scary. But she found a lot to like at Universal. A lot will depend on the kid, but I think Universal has a lot more for families with young kids than people realize.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips.

My family are also big Harry Potter fans and my mom and sister are buying them robes for their Christmas gift. My kids actually both own wands which we will bring with us and are planning to buy one interactive wand for the family to share.

My son is fearless. If is says he's tall enough he will go. My daughter we play by ear. We don't force her on things she's not ready for. I have no problem splitting the family or doing a ride swap if we need to. We have watched a few park preview videos on the Uni website to give them an over view. I think they will really like Seuss Landing as well.

I'm aware that Legoland is basically Kidsville but they love Lego and figured this was the time to go before they get to big.

Does Uni have a character guide so you know what time certain character will be out?

Do they still offer the "Tour of Hogwarts" for people who don't/can't ride? I know my daughter would love to check that out if we can.

Disneyhead'71

Thanks for all the tips.

My family are also big Harry Potter fans and my mom and sister are buying them robes for their Christmas gift. My kids actually both own wands which we will bring with us and are planning to buy one interactive wand for the family to share.

My son is fearless. If is says he's tall enough he will go. My daughter we play by ear. We don't force her on things she's not ready for. I have no problem splitting the family or doing a ride swap if we need to. We have watched a few park preview videos on the Uni website to give them an over view. I think they will really like Seuss Landing as well.

I'm aware that Legoland is basically Kidsville but they love Lego and figured this was the time to go before they get to big.

Does Uni have a character guide so you know what time certain character will be out?

Do they still offer the "Tour of Hogwarts" for people who don't/can't ride? I know my daughter would love to check that out if we can.
Yes, they still do the Hogwarts tour.

I can't answer the character question, as I have never been a M&G kinda guy. But I believe that they are list in the Park Map.

lebeau

We didn't see a character guide like you would get at Disney. They are supposedly on the park map, but I don't think we grabbed one. My kids weren't all that interested in meeting the characters at Universal. But we did spot the Simpsons more than once as well as some other characters. In general, the characters were much less in demand than they are at Disney which meant if you wanted to see them, you probably wouldn't have to wait forever. At least that was the way it appeared. We didn't actually wait in any lines ourselves.

JoeCamel

Woody, Doc from BTTF, Marge and Homer, The kids from Scooby Do, Betty Boop, MIB, Minions, Lucy, Marilyn, and I don't know then rest off the top of my head are all available during the day. Not really a huge line for pictures and M&G but they do have a few line up.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
We didn't see a character guide like you would get at Disney. They are supposedly on the park map, but I don't think we grabbed one. My kids weren't all that interested in meeting the characters at Universal. But we did spot the Simpsons more than once as well as some other characters. In general, the characters were much less in demand than they are at Disney which meant if you wanted to see them, you probably wouldn't have to wait forever. At least that was the way it appeared. We didn't actually wait in any lines ourselves.

Woody, Doc from BTTF, Marge and Homer, The kids from Scooby Do, Betty Boop, MIB, Minions, Lucy, Marilyn, and I don't know then rest off the top of my head are all available during the day. Not really a huge line for pictures and M&G but they do have a few line up.

Thanks! I'm not planning to meet a lot of characters but my daughter is interested in hugging a Minion.

JoeCamel

Thanks! I'm not planning to meet a lot of characters but my daughter is interested in hugging a Minion.

To hug a minion all you need to do is visit the store at the end of the ride. There are usually a couple there.

I forgot one of the best, meet a transformer! It is a great experience. Near the ride entrance in USF

Tinkerkelle

As was said, they don't seem to advertise as well as disney but there are not the same queues either! We were really lucky on our 2nd last trip as we seemed to always be bumping into characters, but not nearly so many this trip.
After the Seuss show the characters meet-Cat in the Hat, Things 1 and 2, Grinch, Lorax and Sam I Am all greeted with very minimal queues. They do mini parades for character "sets" during the day and then the characters meet and greet - the despicable me characters all come out and we met with vector, gru and 2 of the girls. We also saw the simpsons meeting outside their RV after they arrived on it. Simpsons also meet by the kwik e mart.
Spongebob and Patrick meet in the spongebob store.

lebeau

We wanted to hug a Minion, but it was easier said than done. When we visited Minion Mayem, there were none to be found. We saw some Minions randomly riding a vehicle down the street, but didn't catch up with any of them. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom