Universal with Kids

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I am very excited to be taking my kids to Universal for the first time (that they can remember). They will be 4 and 6 and both over 42 inches. My son (4) is a thrill ride lover and has already done his first looping coaster (Sooper Dooper Looper and Hershey Park). My daughter (6) liked Splash, Test Track and Big Thunder but didn't like Space (at Disneyland). My daughter loves most characters my son isn't likely to want to meet any even if it is someone he likes.

We are not staying on site and are doing 2 days here and 1 at Leogland - no Disney this trip.

We have not been with kids this age before. Any tips for making the trip extra fun for them?

DisneyFans4Life

Are they Harry Potter fans? I'm not super familiar with Universal as we go to Disney, but I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter and the last time we went, we spent a lot of time in the his area...even grabbed a butterbeer.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Are they Harry Potter fans? I'm not super familiar with Universal as we go to Disney, but I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter and the last time we went, we spent a lot of time in the his area...even grabbed a butterbeer.

Yes we are Harry Potter Fans! My daughter actually had a Harry Potter birthday party last year. Harry is the main reason we are heading to Universal. How scary was the Gringott's ride?

DisneyFans4Life

I can't comment on that as I don't exactly ride roller coasters lol. Others here will be able to comment, but I know you could definitely spend a few hours at both parks just in the Harry Potter section.

lebeau

Yes we are Harry Potter Fans! My daughter actually had a Harry Potter birthday party last year. Harry is the main reason we are heading to Universal. How scary was the Gringott's ride?

My 10 year old loved Gringotts. My very timid six year old wouldn't ride it, so we did a child swap. The actual coaster elements are very tame. I would say it is slightly more intense or roughly on par with the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train in that respect. The scariest elements are on the screens. There is a giant dragon and some villains from the movie. Since they are clearly screens, they aren't all that scary. But you have to know your kids. On the whole, I think Grigotts is pretty tame assuming. Forbidden Journey was much more intense.

Ms.Sunshine

I'm curious to know myself, I've been toying with the idea of DH and I taking our 4 yr old, if only for Harry Potter and the simpsons.

lebeau

I am very excited to be taking my kids to Universal for the first time (that they can remember). They will be 4 and 6 and both over 42 inches. My son (4) is a thrill ride lover and has already done his first looping coaster (Sooper Dooper Looper and Hershey Park). My daughter (6) liked Splash, Test Track and Big Thunder but didn't like Space (at Disneyland). My daughter loves most characters my son isn't likely to want to meet any even if it is someone he likes.

We are not staying on site and are doing 2 days here and 1 at Leogland - no Disney this trip.

We have not been with kids this age before. Any tips for making the trip extra fun for them?

Prioritize Minion Mayhem. It is low capacity and will have long lines most of the day. You can find times of the day when the Harry Potter rides will have relatively short waits. But Minion Mayhem has long waits almost all day.

We found a surprising amount of cool stuff at Universal. The kids did well on simulator rides. The Simpsons is slightly more intense than Minion Mayhem. From there, you can try out Transformers or Spider-man (if you only get to do one, choose Spider-man). Everyone also enjoyed Men in Black. ET is okay if the wait isn't long, but not worth waiting in a long line.

You can spend a lot of time just exploring the two HP lands. Diagon Alley is so immersive. Waits for the Hogwarts Express can be quite long. But there are pockets where the wait is relatively short. If you're lucky, you can time your park hopping around that. If the waits are too long, you are better off walking between parks.

Obviously, Seuss Landing is great for kids. Camp Jurassic is a cool playground.

Our experience was that Universal was a lot less crowded and easier to navigate than Disney World. We felt free to explore without having to run all over the place to make prescheduled FPs or beat the crowds. By afternoon, the parks were almost empty and this was in late June.

My biggest tip is just to slow down and explore. Universal is smaller than Disney World and much more compact. There's no FPs, no ADRs. You can relax and breathe easy. No need to rush.

We went to Olivanders and our oldest was chosen to participate. No real tips here except to try to be close to the front of the room. When we went in, I knew Josie would be chosen. There was only one other kid in the group which was mostly adults. So if at all possible, try to go in when there aren't going to be a lot of kids. I know, easier said than done on that one.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Prioritize Minion Mayhem. It is low capacity and will have long lines most of the day. You can find times of the day when the Harry Potter rides will have relatively short waits. But Minion Mayhem has long waits almost all day.

We found a surprising amount of cool stuff at Universal. The kids did well on simulator rides. The Simpsons is slightly more intense than Minion Mayhem. From there, you can try out Transformers or Spider-man (if you only get to do one, choose Spider-man). Everyone also enjoyed Men in Black. ET is okay if the wait isn't long, but not worth waiting in a long line.

You can spend a lot of time just exploring the two HP lands. Diagon Alley is so immersive. Waits for the Hogwarts Express can be quite long. But there are pockets where the wait is relatively short. If you're lucky, you can time your park hopping around that. If the waits are too long, you are better off walking between parks.

Obviously, Seuss Landing is great for kids. Camp Jurassic is a cool playground.

Our experience was that Universal was a lot less crowded and easier to navigate than Disney World. We felt free to explore without having to run all over the place to make prescheduled FPs or beat the crowds. By afternoon, the parks were almost empty and this was in late June.

My biggest tip is just to slow down and explore. Universal is smaller than Disney World and much more compact. There's no FPs, no ADRs. You can relax and breathe easy. No need to rush.

We went to Olivanders and our oldest was chosen to participate. No real tips here except to try to be close to the front of the room. When we went in, I knew Josie would be chosen. There was only one other kid in the group which was mostly adults. So if at all possible, try to go in when there aren't going to be a lot of kids. I know, easier said than done on that one.

Thanks for the tips!

EngineJoe

Be aware that most of the rides at Legoland shut down if it rains. Sometime for hours, sometimes for the rest of the day. If you are lucky you may get a useless rain check. This is because almost all the rides at Legoland are not covered unlike Disney and universal and so have to be shut down with rain. Just go to trip advisor and most of the complaints on Legoland are because of rain causing a lost day.

EngineJoe

Do despicable me later In the day when time is shorter.

Use universal app to check wait times

Pteranodon flyers either do this right when park opens or later in day when wait time is 20 minutes or less. Don't wait 40 minutes for a ride that takes 20 seconds.

Woody woodpecker roller coast
And Harry Potter hippo griff roller coaster are good

Men in black, Simpson and Spider-Man are also fun

The parks are not as maneuverable because there are lakes in the middle of both parks unlike Disney. This means you have to plan order of rides more carefully and sequentially.

Jurassic park ride you will get wet and your shoes too especially if you are in front.
Blutos barge is fun but you will get drenched and you have to wear shoes so your shoes and socks will be soaked along with your clothes.

Tinkerkelle

I was determined not to buy the $50 interactive wands - and then we got one each for my 2!!! You exit the Olivanders 'show' in the wand shop and they'd seen others using wands to cast spells-they had to have one! They were one of the few things they actually asked for. They had holiday money and knew they'd have to buy their souvenirs with their own money which made them very selective. Despite the price they chose to buy them and loved them.
If you're going to buy them do it early on your first day so you get the use of them in DA and Hogsmede. The boxes are long but do fit in the lockers (we had a small bag and 2 wand boxes on first day and managed to get bag and boxes into the Gringots and MiB lockers. We put both wands in 1 box on subsequent days.)
Enjoy!!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Be aware that most of the rides at Legoland shut down if it rains. Sometime for hours, sometimes for the rest of the day. If you are lucky you may get a useless rain check. This is because almost all the rides at Legoland are not covered unlike Disney and universal and so have to be shut down with rain. Just go to trip advisor and most of the complaints on Legoland are because of rain causing a lost day.

Thanks for this tip We have a 3 day window so hopefully one of those days will be rain free.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I was determined not to buy the $50 interactive wands - and then we got one each for my 2!!! You exit the Olivanders 'show' in the wand shop and they'd seen others using wands to cast spells-they had to have one! They were one of the few things they actually asked for. They had holiday money and knew they'd have to buy their souvenirs with their own money which made them very selective. Despite the price they chose to buy them and loved them.
If you're going to buy them do it early on your first day so you get the use of them in DA and Hogsmede. The boxes are long but do fit in the lockers (we had a small bag and 2 wand boxes on first day and managed to get bag and boxes into the Gringots and MiB lockers. We put both wands in 1 box on subsequent days.)
Enjoy!!

The wand is already a must on our list, my kids have seen the videos of them in action. We may buy one and have them share though.

EngineJoe

The wand is already a must on our list, my kids have seen the videos of them in action. We may buy one and have them share though.

I'm not too familiar with the interactive wands but it seems like each spell has a different motion for the wand. And if you or your kid don't know the motion the wand won't interact.
Maybe someone else can confirm but I saw a mother and child trying the spell without success even with a Harry Potter assistant showing them and they left disappointed while the next mother and kid were able to open the book with the spell. So you could practice the spells at home before the trip by watching the videos.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Really? I saw a bunch of people using wands but didn't realize there were patterns to it?
It is rather hard to figure out based on the "documentation" you get...but that is part of the fun (and if you ask a CM, they will give you "tips" all the way down to actual instruction)

The interactive wand (at least one) was well worth the cost, imho. We enjoyed it thoroughly.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Ok...

Both are too young for interactive wands, if you get one, get one for yourself, and let them play along with you.

They will ADORE Legoland...you...may not.

What else do you want to know? <grin>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom