Universal UK?

Robbiem

Original Poster
This is amazing news.

There's been alot of nonsensical town about planning hold ups in the UK. This is utter nonsense.

The London resort issue wasn't planning, but financial backing.

The Sphere ball may well be okay in Las Vegas, but in the middle of a residential area of course you are going to encounter issues.

Universal would be welcomed with open arms.
Planning hold ups are real here in the UK - one of the reasons the London resort has had so many issues is the way environmental campaigners use issues to stop things - they would rather the site be left as an abandoned quarry because it has a spider living there than see anything built

Universal had similar issues 30 years ago when they were going to build a resort in Rainham Essex (10:20 and 5:15)

Competing interests also play a part - the London sphere was refused permission on the basis of its carbon impact with one of the big objectors being the owner of the 02 dome which would have been a key looser from the project

It took about 40 years and numerous plans for anything to happen at Battersea power station (I remember when it was going to be the UK’s answer to Euro Disney)

It isn’t just entertainment its any infrastructure- there have been so many objections to building the new HS2 rail line that it was mainly put in tunnels which then made it too expensive and half of it was cut. The last time the UK built a full size runway was about 70 years ago, there have been so many proposals all shot down

You can see the start of it from the local politicians quotes who are luke warm about it

Bedford mayor Tom Wootton: The suggestion of a major business investment is of course positive, nevertheless these are early days and much detailed work is required before any decisions are made….We’re committed to ensure that any plans align with the best interests of our residents.”
Mohammad Yasin MP ”Obviously, I would be working to ensure local residents are given a voice as plans develop and that the plans take account of existing development in our region”

I agree that while most people would welcome the plans but there are a powerful minority who will oppose it on principle and these people can drag things out for long periods of time making it harder and more difficult until the developers walk away. I suspect it could well be another Disney’s America but I hope I’m wrong

Last edited:

maxairmike

Yep, all of that is very correct. I was more thinking about the issues Alton Towers has had with people that moved in after the park was already well established. Looking at the area, there are several homes on the little road that splits the land they bought that I have every expectation they’ll try and hold up and restrict development with tons of noise and visual concerns. Nighttime shows probably have 0 chance of happening here if a park manages to get built.

sonoma15

Planning hold ups are real here in the UK - one of the reasons the London resort has had so many issues is the way environmental campaigners use issues to stop things - they would rather the site be left as an abandoned quarry because it has a spider living there than see anything built

Universal had similar issues 30 years ago when they were going to build a resort in Rainham Essex (10:20 and 5:15)

Competing interests also play a part - the London sphere was refused permission on the basis of its carbon impact with one of the big objectors being the owner of the 02 dome which would have been a key looser from the project

It took about 40 years and numerous plans for anything to happen at Battersea power station (I remember when it was going to be the UK’s answer to Euro Disney)

It isn’t just entertainment its any infrastructure- there have been so many objections to building the new HS2 rail line that it was mainly put in tunnels which then made it too expensive and half of it was cut. The last time the UK built a full size runway was about 70 years ago, there have been so many proposals all shot down

You can see the start of it from the local politicians quotes who are luke warm about it

Bedford mayor Tom Wootton: The suggestion of a major business investment is of course positive, nevertheless these are early days and much detailed work is required before any decisions are made….We’re committed to ensure that any plans align with the best interests of our residents.”
Mohammad Yasin MP ”Obviously, I would be working to ensure local residents are given a voice as plans develop and that the plans take account of existing development in our region”

I agree that while most people would welcome the plans but there are a powerful minority who will oppose it on principle and these people can drag things out for long periods of time making it harder and more difficult until the developers walk away. I suspect it could well be another Disney’s America but I hope I’m wrong

The problem with London Resort wasn't actually spiders, it's that they actually had no money and were looking for investors. They also didn't actually own the land (which Universal does). Also, you cut off about half the quote of what Mohammad Yasin said, the full quote is:
"without doubt a very interesting proposition for our region. To have such a huge global brand like Universal Studios invest in Britain would be fantastic, It would be hugely exciting if Bedford were to be home to a new theme park. It would bring significant investment and growth into the area, bringing jobs and tourism with it. Obviously, I would be working to ensure local residents are given a voice as plans develop and that the plans take account of existing development in our region so that all residents can benefit."

That doesn't really sound like someone who is lukewarm about it. It sounds like someone who is very excited for what Universal has to bring to Bedford.

Robbiem

Original Poster
That doesn't really sound like someone who is lukewarm about it. It sounds like someone who is very excited for what Universal has to bring to Bedford.
believe me it is lukewarm - I worked in Whitehall and saw firsthand how ‘spin’ works.

It is what he doesn’t say and the wording that is important. There is no mention of working with universal to help support them through the planning process for example. He say ‘would be’ not ‘ It is exciting’

My breakdown of his statement with my old ‘civil service’ hat on:
"without doubt a very interesting proposition for our region.
AKA I have to say something neutral as I don’t know if this will go through or not and I need to cover my back by saying its an ‘interesting proposition’ not ‘I welcome’ or ‘I support’ in case I say something my opponents can use against me in the next election

To have such a huge global brand like Universal Studios invest in Britain would be fantastic, It would be hugely exciting if Bedford were to be home to a new theme park. It would bring significant investment and growth into the area, bringing jobs and tourism with it.
‘Would’ not ‘will’. This is framing as a hypothetical argument without support. In Whitehall ‘would‘ or ‘could’ signalled neutrality. He is saying it could be a good thing, not that it is in his opinion or that he supports. Read the above again but replace ‘this would‘ with ‘this will‘ to see how much more positive it is

Obviously, I would be working to ensure local residents are given a voice as plans develop and that the plans take account of existing development in our region so that all residents can benefit
The kicker statement - giving an ‘out’ if the public object or it becomes unpopular - if local people, for example, say they want more housing on the site he can easily say he always supported the local population and object that the plans do not align with ‘existing development’ because it would impact a rare spider etc (note he didn’t name any developments and if they are currently compatible). without loosing any face

After the millennium dome no UK politicians are going to enthuse about a theme park.

London resort may have had money troubles but as the Wikipedia entry details it was the weight of objections that killed the project, especially environmental ones (the same as Universal had in the 90s).

I really would love to see this built and do personally support the plans but I still suspect someone will find an endangered species of something on site or the plans will be challenged for carbon footprint etc until Uni packs up and goes back to Spain.

LondonTom

Anyone who believes there won't be serious opposition in the UK that Universal has to overcome hasn't looked at any major building project in the UK in the last 50 years 😂. (Docklands/Olympics which were effectively taken out of local councils' hands with development corporations but that requires a lot of serious political backing and even then you will have the nimbys/media fighting everything)

In its favour, Universal/NBC likely have deep enough pockets/resources to put up a decent fight against those nimby objectors and don't necessarily need to start turning that investment money into returns as fast. If they can get key politicians on board (and both parties could do with a big win on jobs) they might just be able to push it through.

I do hope they manage it though, it will be great to have an actual theme park in the UK!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom