Universal UK?

Robbiem

Original Poster

Not sure how accurate this is but its interesting detective work

I suspect if it’s anything Universally could be building a studio in the UK, possibly with a smaller tour or mini park. I don’t expect they would build a full park in the UK

JT3000

The current rumor is a full sized park, with no cloned attractions from Orlando.
sorry james franco GIF by The Disaster Artist

Brummyboy92

Would two resorts across Europe be viable? As a Brit, who frequents Spain very often I would be happy with either location to be honest, I guess a bias towards the UK.

The location is good, an hour from London, and hour and half from Birmingham, some other larger surrounding population areas as well. Plus Luton airport is not that far away, as well as the area being served pretty well by rail and road.

Given the weather, British theme parks are hugely lacking on indoor attractions, so a theme park known for it's indoor attractions would be perfect in my opinion.

Andrew25

Robbiem

Original Poster
I’m old enough to remember previous plans for universal london, this site has a good summary of some plans over the years:

As much as most of the UK public would love this I suspect that enough people wouldn’t and would stop the plans as they did before for universal and with Paramount in Kent. Only a few weeks ago the london sister to the Vegas sphere was refused permission after a long battle

Robbiem

Original Poster
For anyone interested in planning the UK planning report for the London resort (which at various times included a paramount and or BBC park) assessed several sites around London. Site 2 Marston Vale is the appropriate location of the uni land. If you know the areas its interesting how they are assessed

Jrb1979

I’m old enough to remember previous plans for universal london, this site has a good summary of some plans over the years:

As much as most of the UK public would love this I suspect that enough people wouldn’t and would stop the plans as they did before for universal and with Paramount in Kent. Only a few weeks ago the london sister to the Vegas sphere was refused permission after a long battle
I hope it works out but my worry is if they can get enough people visiting. The other parks in the UK barely top 2 million guests a year.

Andrew25

I hope it works out but my worry is if they can get enough people visiting. The other parks in the UK barely top 2 million guests a year.

A park in the UK with major IPs will draw people. Those other parks are also either run down or operate at a level far below Universal's requirements (still suck compared to Disney, but far better than Merlin).

Last edited:

Robbiem

Original Poster

A park in the UK with major IPs will draw people. Those other parks are also either run down or operate at a level far below Universal's requirements (still stuck compared to Disney, but far better than Merlin).

I think there is definitely a market for a world class park which is an easy day trip from London. Other than maybe legoland I don’t think any parks in the UK would really be a large draw for anyone outside the local area. The site Uni have makes a lot of sense, close enough to London but also other key areas like the Birmingham and the midlands, Milton Keynes and Cambridge- it’s probably the most ideal location for population and affluence.

Universal in London with Disney in Paris could be similar to Beijing/Shanghai or Osaka/Tokyo. My main concerns would be will they get the planning approvals and is the return from a London park worth the investment compared to building in a country with cheaper land and construction costs?

DonniePeverley

This is amazing news.

There's been alot of nonsensical town about planning hold ups in the UK. This is utter nonsense.

The London resort issue wasn't planning, but financial backing.

The Sphere ball may well be okay in Las Vegas, but in the middle of a residential area of course you are going to encounter issues.

Universal would be welcomed with open arms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom