Universal problem.. no good food?

ssidiouss@mac.c

Original Poster
I was thinking about returning to stay at Cabana Bay for a few days in March but I have a problem that maybe someone more familiar with Universal can help with. When stay at disney world theres always yummy food to be had at every turn.. but when I was at Universal it was a struggle to find anything good to eat.

Harry Potter just had fried everything.. felt like they just breaded and dumped the entire menu into a deep fryer.. and there are no snacks to go with the butter beer.. the best I could find was a biscuit on one of the carts. I tried to get a pastry at some counter outside potter on a dock and you can tell these things were days old.. tasteless. I even tried the mythos restaurant and even though I loved the ambiance, it felt like eating inside pirates of the caribbean, the food was really bland. And the carts were basically useless.. a few churros that tasted kinda stale :(

Am I missing the must have snacks of Universal? Are there any? Is there a counter service thats half decent or are cheeseburgers in Jurassic Park about the best I can hope for here.

I did find a half decent pizza at a counter service in city walk.. anyway.. I really want to stay at Cabana Bay again and any tips on yummy food and snacks anywhere inside universal would be a great help!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We've found both USF and IOA to have as good food choice and better availability than a WDW park. And more affordable.

Good breakfast in both Potter lands. Mythos is a must and very nice. Finnigans was nice but Lombards was nicer. And Moes was just plain fun.

What's better is you don't need a reservation half a year away to eat nicely.

disney4life2008

Im confused. Your at a theme park what are you expecting? Ironically, i find the food to be better at Universal vs. Disney. Ive heard mystic i think thats what its called at islands is top rated

Frankie The Beer

Im confused. Your at a theme park what are you expecting? Ironically, i find the food to be better at Universal vs. Disney. Ive heard mystic i think thats what its called at islands is top rated

I think you mean Mythos. Mythos used to be one of the best places to eat in all of Orlando but sadly its nowhere near where it used to be. If you're going to eat at Universal, I would skip the theme parks offerings and just eat at Citywalk and the resort hotels. Just be prepared to break out the cash.

JediMasterMatt

Harry Potter just had fried everything.. felt like they just breaded and dumped the entire menu into a deep fryer.. and there are no snacks to go with the butter beer.. the best I could find was a biscuit on one of the carts.

We've found both USF and IOA to have as good food choice and better availability than a WDW park. And more affordable.

Good breakfast in both Potter lands. Mythos is a must and very nice. Finnigans was nice but Lombards was nicer. And Moes was just plain fun.

What's better is you don't need a reservation half a year away to eat nicely.

I don't know why I found the Englishman's response to the critique over Uni's food so funny, especially when the OP calls out the dislike of the Potter offerings. Made me smile.

Based on ssidious's message, I would take the implication that the counter service offerings are more in question than the table service ones. Table service wise, Universal is great. I also am pretty picky about where and what to eat when I'm at the parks and I have to admit that I find it harder to find things that are somewhat healthy and still tasty at Universal when it comes to the counter service choices. One big critique is there just isn't much diversity. I find that I have a major case of deja vu when looking at the menus while in the parks. They all seem to offer the same choices.

Fortunately, CityWalk is just a few steps away.

Or just drink so much hot butter beer you go into a diabetic coma and then you won't need to eat. I've been on the verge many times... so much for me trying to eat healthy.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Based on ssidious's message, I would take the implication that the counter service offerings are more in question than the table service ones. Table service wise, Universal is great. .
I think that's what impressed us the most. The ability to be able to - and to afford to - have a table service meal each day. Without booking.

EngineJoe

I was thinking about returning to stay at Cabana Bay for a few days in March but I have a problem that maybe someone more familiar with Universal can help with. When stay at disney world theres always yummy food to be had at every turn.. but when I was at Universal it was a struggle to find anything good to eat.

Harry Potter just had fried everything.. felt like they just breaded and dumped the entire menu into a deep fryer.. and there are no snacks to go with the butter beer.. the best I could find was a biscuit on one of the carts. I tried to get a pastry at some counter outside potter on a dock and you can tell these things were days old.. tasteless. I even tried the mythos restaurant and even though I loved the ambiance, it felt like eating inside pirates of the caribbean, the food was really bland. And the carts were basically useless.. a few churros that tasted kinda stale :(

Am I missing the must have snacks of Universal? Are there any? Is there a counter service thats half decent or are cheeseburgers in Jurassic Park about the best I can hope for here.

I did find a half decent pizza at a counter service in city walk.. anyway.. I really want to stay at Cabana Bay again and any tips on yummy food and snacks anywhere inside universal would be a great help!

What's so tasty at Disney compared to Universal? Just wondering.

amsonia

I ate roast chicken at the 3 Broomsticks and had frozen butterbeer for an afternoon snack (several days). I read somewhere that a regular butterbeer has "only" 200 calories. That's less than I thought. It's all sugar from what I can tell. I hope the frozen is closer to the regular butterbeer in calories than to a Starbucks Frappacino. Thunder Falls seemed to have a good selection of non-fried things - roast chicken, ribs, black beans with rice. There is certainly a dearth of green vegetables throughout the park. I meant to try the Bumblebee Man Taco Truck but never got around to it. Mythos had a reasonable selection of non-fried stuff but was a bit more pricey. I think, as others have mentioned, that City Walk is a good option for folks who can't stomach the park food. For snacks, maybe just carrying in your own snack bar if you need something more substantial than Butterbeer? I have to be gluten free for the most part and so have trouble with most snack offerings. I never needed my backup Cliff Bar though.

EngineJoe

I ate roast chicken at the 3 Broomsticks and had frozen butterbeer for an afternoon snack (several days). I read somewhere that a regular butterbeer has "only" 200 calories. That's less than I thought. It's all sugar from what I can tell. I hope the frozen is closer to the regular butterbeer in calories than to a Starbucks Frappacino. Thunder Falls seemed to have a good selection of non-fried things - roast chicken, ribs, black beans with rice. There is certainly a dearth of green vegetables throughout the park. I meant to try the Bumblebee Man Taco Truck but never got around to it. Mythos had a reasonable selection of non-fried stuff but was a bit more pricey. I think, as others have mentioned, that City Walk is a good option for folks who can't stomach the park food. For snacks, maybe just carrying in your own snack bar if you need something more substantial than Butterbeer? I have to be gluten free for the most part and so have trouble with most snack offerings. I never needed my backup Cliff Bar though.

My friend tried the Taco. Said it was okay but not as good as the Bumblebee truck would make you think.

surfsupdon

Jake's at Royal Pacific is great!

AND the biggest plus is that it is open nightly till 2am....so you can eat after Parks, CityWalk, or just because you're hanging with your crew.

culturenthrills

Universal is great because you can have a sit down meal for a reasonable price. Citywalk is right there and it is easy and quick and more relaxing to step out of the parks for a nice meal. Mythos is still good and Confisco's is not too bad esp when you compare their prices to Disney or how much a QS meal is. Lombards is ok. But the biggest difference you will notice is how less the table service restaurants prices are compared to Disney and many just as good or even better than Disney and have more than 6-8 entrees on the menu.

fosse76

I find Universal's food choices to be more diverse than any other theme/amusement park I've ever been too (and more reasonably priced). And that's IN the parks. If you include CityWalk and the hotels, it's even MORE diverse than even Disney (which I find to have the worst counter service food).

BrianV

Surely Epcot with its world cuisine has the best food in a theme park--if you have a reservation. But after that universal theme parks and hotels are on par with anything at wdw. We loved tchoup tchoup and emerils other restaurant in city walk. Lombards is good as is Mythos. I found confisco only average. I confess one of my favorite locations of all is the orchid court at rpr.

We skip the fast food lunch and dinner when we can. Usually small pastry for breakfast, nice full late sit down lunch somewhere, and the usually back to the pool side or the bar for a late dinner.

Best part...NO RESERVATIONS NEEDED!

French Quarter

I have no doubt that the quality of the food at Universal probably matches Disney but I'm with the OP in terms of selection. We have not gone there yet but are planning a trip ands have been to Disney oodles. And when I look at the menus at Universal, with some exceptions, they seem so boring and repetitive. That being said, I am just getting started on the planning so maybe I'm missing something.

Disneyhead'71

I have no doubt that the quality of the food at Universal probably matches Disney but I'm with the OP in terms of selection. We have not gone there yet but are planning a trip ands have been to Disney oodles. And when I look at the menus at Universal, with some exceptions, they seem so boring and repetitive. That being said, I am just getting started on the planning so maybe I'm missing something.
Well, there are their 4 signature restaurants:

http://www.bice-orlando.com/menu/

http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/emerils-tchoup-chop/menus?menu=dinner-desserts

http://www.thepalm.com/index.php

http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/emerils-orlando/menus?menu=dinner-desserts

Then the 4 Table Service in the parks: Mythos, Confisco's, Lombard's Landing, and Fennagan's.

As far as variety is Counter Service, your best bets are Springfield, Thunder Falls Terrace, or either of the Potter restaurants.

To be honest, I am at Uni a lot, and I NEVER eat counter service in the parks. If I want a good quick pizza, I head out to Red Oven in CityWalk. Also in CityWalk are Antojito's, Cowfish, Vivo, and NBCSports Grill and Brew. All places I enjoy.

French Quarter

Well, there are their 4 signature restaurants:

http://www.bice-orlando.com/menu/

http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/emerils-tchoup-chop/menus?menu=dinner-desserts

http://www.thepalm.com/index.php

http://www.emerilsrestaurants.com/emerils-orlando/menus?menu=dinner-desserts

Then the 4 Table Service in the parks: Mythos, Confisco's, Lombard's Landing, and Fennagan's.

As far as variety is Counter Service, your best bets are Springfield, Thunder Falls Terrace, or either of the Potter restaurants.

To be honest, I am at Uni a lot, and I NEVER eat counter service in the parks. If I want a good quick pizza, I head out to Red Oven in CityWalk. Also in CityWalk are Antojito's, Cowfish, Vivo, and NBCSports Grill and Brew. All places I enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendations. It was mostly counter service that I was looking at.

I'm a little disappointed too by how limited their dining plan is. They say it's good at over 100 locations but they are mostly counting snack carts. It's not even good at their resorts and at 2 quick service places at CityWalk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom