Universal Orlando Getting Bigger, Better, Wetter, Wilder

Funmeister

Disney will announce their Star Wars Land theme park plans at one of two events this year, or perhaps split between these two events. You can all mark your calendars, or attend them if you are in Southern California:

Star Wars Celebration, April 16-19, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim CA

and/or

D23 Expo, August 14-16, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim CA

If I had to guess I would bet on D23 over the Star Wars Celebration. I could be wrong but have a gut feeling.

twebber55

Fanbois be fanbois.

And I am pretty unapologetically frustrated, unimpressed, and uninterested in most of the new offerings at Disney since, like, 1993. I had hope in Everest, until I rode it. And alternately, I have been pretty darned impressed with what Universal has done to their resort.
oh I definitely think there is a reason to be excited for whats happening at Universal
If I had to guess I would bet on D23 over the Star Wars Celebration. I could be wrong but have a gut feeling.
im pretty sure the spirited one said D23 but I could be wrong

AEfx

I just love how the article says "in a year or two when it opens". Disney can't even open an envelope in 1-2 years, and Universal can build mega-attractions and now an entire water park.

Well, I should rephrase - I don't "love it" - I think it's shameful and embarrassing for Disney - but that's why Disney, at least in Florida, is really just so terribly far behind.

Totally anecdotal, but two different co-workers told me about family "Central Florida" trips on Friday. Can't call them "Disney" trips, because neither of them are going. I keep hearing the same thing from folks that I have been the past few years - they want a theme park vacation, so they are going to Orlando - and they see Universal as "must do" because of Potter, etc.

Then they look into also spending a day or three at Disney, and realize that it's prohibitively expensive, due to the MYW pricing. In fact, it's not even just the price shock itself - it's seeing the fact that a 7 day ticket isn't much more than a 3, say, and they figure, well, we'll just skip Disney totally this time and come back someday when there is something we want to see there and spend the whole week.

So they end up getting one of the longer Universal passes, spend a day at Sea World or Legoland or somewhere else, and then a day or two at the pool or just relaxing, instead of Universal and Disney as they would have originally if a few days at Disney wouldn't practically cost them the same as a week.

That's why Disney needs to really amp up and start putting out some earth shattering attractions - the kinds that make people say "MUST GO!" like Universal has, and looks like they are continuing to do.

Mike S

I just love how the article says "in a year or two when it opens". Disney can't even open an envelope in 1-2 years, and Universal can build mega-attractions and now an entire water park.

Well, I should rephrase - I don't "love it" - I think it's shameful and embarrassing for Disney - but that's why Disney, at least in Florida, is really just so terribly far behind.

Totally anecdotal, but two different co-workers told me about family "Central Florida" trips on Friday. Can't call them "Disney" trips, because neither of them are going. I keep hearing the same thing from folks that I have been the past few years - they want a theme park vacation, so they are going to Orlando - and they see Universal as "must do" because of Potter, etc.

Then they look into also spending a day or three at Disney, and realize that it's prohibitively expensive, due to the MYW pricing. In fact, it's not even just the price shock itself - it's seeing the fact that a 7 day ticket isn't much more than a 3, say, and they figure, well, we'll just skip Disney totally this time and come back someday when there is something we want to see there and spend the whole week.

So they end up getting one of the longer Universal passes, spend a day at Sea World or Legoland or somewhere else, and then a day or two at the pool or just relaxing, instead of Universal and Disney as they would have originally if a few days at Disney wouldn't practically cost them the same as a week.

That's why Disney needs to really amp up and start putting out some earth shattering attractions - the kinds that make people say "MUST GO!" like Universal has, and looks like they are continuing to do.
Great post but the bolded got me thinking of how long it took Disney to build Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach in comparison to Universal's supposed speed of their water park. Anyone know?

TomP

Great post but the bolded got me thinking of how long it took Disney to build Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach in comparison to Universal's supposed speed of their water park. Anyone know?
Dunno about BB, but Typhoon Lagoon broke ground in Feb 1987, and opened June 1989 IIRC.

squidward

I'm thinking of not renewing my WDW pass and just keeping the UNI one. WDW is fun and I'll always love it but it's always too packed and not enough to do. After working there and going a lot you feel like some things are enjoyable but not worth the wait and you find yourself just walking around and then deciding to go home. At least at Universal there is enough to do with such little wait times that you feel like you got your money's worth.

I'm only one AP and Disney will laugh and say it's ok because a Brazilian family will cover me tenfold but that's the reality.

I never thought I'd feel that way, but I do as well. And I know Disney die-hards will say "Well, the only reason the lines are so long is because attendance is so high." I don't agree. The reason lines are so long is because the new FP system does not work, and 3 of the parks don't have nearly enough attractions in them. And some of the attractions that they do have (Nemo, Universe of Energy, Figment, Gran Fiesta Tour) aren't worth the small wait in line they do have.

This is a huge problem at Disney, especially Epcot. The lines are insane at Test Track and Soarin', because there are no lines at some of the parks limited other attractions. It's 1st grade math.

Last edited:

mm121

The waterpark is sure to be a disappointment.

As there isn't possibly enough land to put something great where they are planning, and the few details released so far sound like they are going for the family vibe.. which would make it sad, especially if they close wet n wild, since it has some of the better thrill type rides.

somewhere really needs to build a true aqua loop, and would be cool if one of the parks would build one thats partially indoors for the cool/rainy days

also not sure what they plan to do about parking for it, as if they have to build parking on the site that leaves even less room for the park itself, and from a roadway standpoint this location seems hard to get to.

I'm also not sure Universal would want to build a hotel on the current wet n wild site, as it would have sightlines to non property hotels, which definitely affects the "Universal studios resort" feel.

But one way to overcome this would be to create the transportation system I suggest below, as with that the pods could have screens or something to obscure the view while people are being "transported" from one land (attraction/park/etc) to the next without stepping out to the "real world"

My Universal plan would put a waterpark on the parking lot of wet n wild, which would allow for a much larger waterpark, along with a direct route down property, which could easily be connected with a people mover system, such as the one at heathrow airport

9796-l.jpg

My Third Gate plus Waterpark plan would look something like this.

It would be hard land quisitions wise, would require some sneaky cover deals to avoid driving up prices.

I know they have some land by the convention center somewhere, but it has had environmental issues and is further from the core zone.

This plan adds
a full theme park, almost to the scale of IOA,
a full HUGE waterpark ideally with some type of indoor component
a third parking stucture,
(designed to handle traffic coming north on I-4 mostly and the new waterpark,
as current garages are ramped for easy access from the north)
Space for 4 hotels as needed
Space for expanded Entertainment District
People Mover System of Some Type Connecting 3 main areas
(new park, Citywalk, New waterpark) along with hotel/ entertainment district loop)
View attachment 68768

universal-master-jpg.68768

Last edited:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
The waterpark is sure to be a disappointment.

As there isn't possibly enough land to put something great where they are planning, and the few details released so far sound like they are going for the family vibe.. which would make it sad, especially if they close wet n wild, since it has some of the better thrill type rides.

somewhere really needs to build a true aqua loop, and would be cool if one of the parks would build one thats partially indoors for the cool/rainy days

also not sure what they plan to do about parking for it, as if they have to build parking on the site that leaves even less room for the park itself, and from a roadway standpoint this location seems hard to get to.

I'm also not sure Universal would want to build a hotel on the current wet n wild site, as it would have sightlines to non property hotels, which definitely affects the "Universal studios resort" feel.

But one way to overcome this would be to create the transportation system I suggest below, as with that the pods could have screens or something to obscure the view while people are being "transported" from one land (attraction/park/etc) to the next without stepping out to the "real world"

My Universal plan would put a waterpark on the parking lot of wet n wild, which would allow for a much larger waterpark, along with a direct route down property, which could easily be connected with a people mover system, such as the one at heathrow airport

View attachment 84753

universal-master-jpg.68768

Feel free to post the plans and concept art you must have seen to determine the water park will be a disappointment. I can't seem to find anything.

Rutt

Feel free to post the plans and concept art you must have seen to determine the water park will be a disappointment. I can't seem to find anything.
Did you miss it? It was in the same article as the 'disappointing' Avatar Land, 'cheaped out' DHA redo and 'underwhelming' Star Wars' Lands we're apparently getting.

mm121

I just know they aren't going to do anything truly groundbreakingly new.

but who knows maybe they will surprise me since we're talking about universal here not disney.

Just would love to see a true thrill waterpark, especially if wet n wild is going to be killed because of it.

as the disney waterparks really dont have much as far as thrills go, and all the orlando waterparks are seriously lacking in the fast non tube slides.

and aquatica woosed out with their new slide as its a horizontal 360 not a vertical 360

my primary objection is to the location chosen, as it doesn't really connect well with the rest of the property, and when people are going to be given directions its like oh its out behind cabana bay, rather than letting it be the main attraction, and the entrance will have to be off of a non universal road "Turkey lake" which ruins the resort illusion.

Did you miss it? It was in the same article as the 'disappointing' Avatar Land, 'cheaped out' DHA redo and 'underwhelming' Star Wars' Lands we're apparently getting.

Lol RH Kelly, I think you got confused, this waterpark is Universal not bare minimum and have it take 5 years Disney.

I just hope Universal isn't getting lazy like disney.

Rutt

You must be pulling my leg, because I can't find that article anywhere. I typed it into Google exactly as you posted it too. Weird.
Hmmm, that's odd, I could have sworn that article was real based on how certain so many here of those being failures or disappointments, must be a theme park thing.

At least we now know Disney is not alone in disappointing people without actually releasing anything yet.

Rutt

I just know they aren't going to do anything truly groundbreakingly new.

but who knows maybe they will surprise me since we're talking about universal here not disney.

Just would love to see a true thrill waterpark, especially if wet n wild is going to be killed because of it.

as the disney waterparks really dont have much as far as thrills go, and all the orlando waterparks are seriously lacking in the fast non tube slides.

and aquatica woosed out with their new slide as its a horizontal 360 not a vertical 360

my primary objection is to the location chosen, as it doesn't really connect well with the rest of the property, and when people are going to be given directions its like oh its out behind cabana bay, rather than letting it be the main attraction, and the entrance will have to be off of a non universal road "Turkey lake" which ruins the resort illusion.

Lol RH Kelly, I think you got confused, this waterpark is Universal not bare minimum and have it take 5 years Disney.

I just hope Universal isn't getting lazy like disney.

Bare minimum Disney, got it ;)

As an FYI, I love both but find the double standards hilarious. People here try so hard to make Uni bigger than it is.

squidward

Bare minimum Disney, got it ;)

As an FYI, I love both but find the double standards hilarious. People here try so hard to make Uni bigger than it is.

I don't think that's true. Just the opposite in fact. I find that most Disney die-hards (of which I am) try and make Universal seem smaller than it is, denying that it is in fact starting to give Disney a run for its money.

Rutt

I don't think that's true. Just the opposite in fact. I find that most Disney die-hards (of which I am) try and make Universal seem smaller than it is, denying that it is in fact starting to give Disney a run for its money.
Oh I have no doubt that Uni is getting bigger but it has a long way to go.

Uni has some awesome thrill rides, but I can get thrill rides here in Canada.

Harry Potter is a step in the right direction, but it's just that, a step.

Disney offers something for the whole family and caters to the ladies and the lasses. Guess who we men end up spending most of our money on?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom