Universal Orlando Getting Bigger, Better, Wetter, Wilder

Smiddimizer

Yes, yes you are.

NOT!

e202e17f098352ae6b91b009cc64a2ab0257b707a5e9b4babfe9acdeb26d538c.jpg

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Fanbois be fanbois.

And I am pretty unapologetically frustrated, unimpressed, and uninterested in most of the new offerings at Disney since, like, 1993. I had hope in Everest, until I rode it. And alternately, I have been pretty darned impressed with what Universal has done to their resort.
It's kinda like the Simpsons. I mean, they haven't really been good since 1993, but I'm there each and every week, watching the episodes then rushing off to the Sinpsons fan forum where I spend hours telling people how terrible the show is, and how Family Guy is so much better. 12 years in, and my user Flanders_90201 is there trashing the show.

Disneyhead'71

It's kinda like the Simpsons. I mean, they haven't really been good since 1993, but I'm there each and every week, watching the episodes then rushing off to the Sinpsons fan forum where I spend hours telling people how terrible the show is, and how Family Guy is so much better. 11 years in, and my user Flanders_90201 is there trashing the show.
There is always hope in a true fans heart that the ship can be turned. I bet there is even a Chicago Cubs Fan Forum somewhere.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
There is always hope in a true fans heart that the ship can be turned. I bet there is even a Chicago Cubs Fan Forum somewhere.
There is, but it's mainly used to find out new ways to work "bro" into a sentence, arrange meetups at the Cubby Bear after games, complain about how Wrigley Field will be totally ruined by the new refurb, and work out the most efficient way to purchase as many beers as possible before the 7th inning stretch.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There is, but it's mainly used to find out new ways to work "bro" into a sentence, arrange meetups at the Cubby Bear after games, complain about how Wrigley Field will be totally ruined by the new refurb, and work out the most efficient way to purchase as many beers as possible before the 7th inning stretch.

With only the last one being of true importance, Ben Franklin noted that Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Slowjack

Well wait. It is true. If universal Orlando did not exist and those guests visited they would be going to Disney. Guests did not make trips to exclusively go to Disney up until the last few years. (For the most part) it doesn't HAVE to cannibalize other parks but it does. Disney and Uni attendance was up last year and Sea World was way down. This shows people still went to central Florida to vacation but opted not to go to Sea World. You cannot tell me The people who did not go to SW chose not to go to Florida at all.

Would you agree that Disney has lost market share to Universal?

I understand what you are saying but it is hard to buy into that reasoning when kids are walking through Disney resorts/parks/downtown Disney with Harry Potter wands when they could have bought mouse ears.
Of course Universal steals some guests from WDW. I'm just saying that if Universal opens something new and their guest count increases by, let's say, 2 million that year, only a portion of that 2 million represents guest days lost to WDW. Some fraction, maybe a major portion, are tourists who wouldn't have visited Orlando at all that year. And some of those people, people who wouldn't have been to Orlando if Universal hadn't opened The Next Great ThingTM, will also spend time at other area attractions including WDW.

And yes, some of those people who didn't go to Sea World didn't visit Orlando at all. Yes, surely some people who might have gone to Sea World decided to go visit another Orlando park. But there's no real way to know how many people are in each category. You can't derive that some of information from the total attendance numbers.

Mouse Trap

This is the most attention a Motley FOOL article has received in months. Does everyone on here realize MF is basically a blog where any average joe retail investor can get some attention? Take some investment advice from MF and wave goodbye to retirement....

Victor Kelly

Disney, I love it to no end. And I work past the bad stuff because I forget about life while at Disney. Yet, I see the problems, but I don't let the problems I see ruin my vacation.

Disney vs UNI: Both are their own resort. Yes UNI is starting to trumph Disney.

Disney is behind in blockbuster attractions, they are heavily invested in technology for tracking guests, and making things more complex making your planning harder. The parks are lack luster in appearance in many places. EPCOT, Studios and AK are barely all day parks. MK is over crowded with construction that has been going on for far too long. Disney's only saving grace is that it has land, lots of it, but they cannot build it all out due to agreements and environmental issues. Disney does not ever release attendance numbers, which skews everyone's perception of how well the parks are doing. But how many of those attendees also spend time in UNI or other theme parks in Florida.

UNI: The underdog. Started small, and completely exploded for the better. Service was still not as good in 2010, and they had high rate of breakdowns for just one day. But I applaud their building and updating and expanding. On our next trip we will be taking a jaunt to UNI. I am hoping that it impresses me more than it did in 2010. The proposed further expansion of their resorts and parks is a very interesting and exciting thing. Shame to see Wet and Wild go away, never been there, but if that is where they have to expand too, then fine by me. Personally the North end of International Drive may disappear and become nothing but Universal. that is how UNI will become un-landlocked.

TP2000

Disney will announce Star Wars Land (most likely towards the end of this year) with a half dozen beautiful colorful conceptual drawings.

Disney will announce their Star Wars Land theme park plans at one of two events this year, or perhaps split between these two events. You can all mark your calendars, or attend them if you are in Southern California:

Star Wars Celebration, April 16-19, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim CA

and/or

D23 Expo, August 14-16, Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim CA

Clyde

I'm thinking of not renewing my WDW pass and just keeping the UNI one. WDW is fun and I'll always love it but it's always too packed and not enough to do. After working there and going a lot you feel like some things are enjoyable but not worth the wait and you find yourself just walking around and then deciding to go home. At least at Universal there is enough to do with such little wait times that you feel like you got your money's worth.

I'm only one AP and Disney will laugh and say it's ok because a Brazilian family will cover me tenfold but that's the reality.
I agree with you. I'm not an AP but I would bring my family twice a year to Disney. We're about 3 hours away in FL so it's not such a bad trip. I'm not the key audience as I get the FL discount as well, but I was still a guaranteed twice a year mouse ears ice cream buyin fool who always eats a meal at the liberty tree. (best restaurant in Disney albeit with the least magic for kids)

Over the last three years I've found it more difficult to enjoy Disney and feel as though I may have gone too much or that it's too crowded or something.
I have chosen to buy the UNI annual passes which are less than a two day park ticket last year. We used them about 7-8 times and now in our second year they just bill me something like $24 a month for the whole family (3 people over the 3 yr age limit) and didn't charge me a renewal fee. It just kept going.

I love Disney but honestly think in order to keep the magic going I needed to make it an every few years trip. I may wait 5 and see how that goes.
I was there all the way through the fantasyland expansion construction period and haven't ridden the darn SDMT yet. lol

I have visited the Tangled bathroom's however so I do have that. :D

erwinalber4

I haven't been to Universal since shortly after Potter 1 opened. I will say it's incredible what they were able to do so quickly with that. I've been a passholder/ cast member since 2011 and I do love Disney dearly but I'm strongly considering giving Universal a shot come 2016 when it's renewal time and coming back after Avatar opens . It also amazed me when I looked at prices that Universal's Preferred Pass which includes parking and no blackout dates is only a tiny bit more than what I paid for my Weekday Select pass that includes blackouts, no parking, and the obvious weekends not being included. It sounds like a great deal. Plus I've never experienced Transformers, Potter 2, Dispicable Me, and Kong possibly opening next year. Frozen Maelstrom just doesn't interest me. Now Avatar is looking to be amazing once that finally comes. Long story short, I never ever ever thought I'd say this but I may also take that break and see what Universal is all about for a year. In the past I've only considered a day or two. I still love Disney more than anything but maybe separation will be a good thing because once I'm back they'll be something new and exciting and old favorites waiting as well.

BrerJon

He's probably thinking in terms of wait time, but that'll be a bit skewed since the ride will have the same capacity as Maelstrom which was terrible.

I suspect Kong will be more like a land in itself, anchored by a big ride, rather than just a Transformers style ride within a building. If that's the case then it will be fairer to compare it to (struggles to think of anything Disney's built on that scale) Belle's village, maybe?

Frozen will get bigger crowds, longer lines, and more hype, but the scale and ambition of Kong will make it a very close competition, and attract a much wider demographic in the long run.

Mike S

I haven't been to Universal since shortly after Potter 1 opened. I will say it's incredible what they were able to do so quickly with that. I've been a passholder/ cast member since 2011 and I do love Disney dearly but I'm strongly considering giving Universal a shot come 2016 when it's renewal time and coming back after Avatar opens . It also amazed me when I looked at prices that Universal's Preferred Pass which includes parking and no blackout dates is only a tiny bit more than what I paid for my Weekday Select pass that includes blackouts, no parking, and the obvious weekends not being included. It sounds like a great deal. Plus I've never experienced Transformers, Potter 2, Dispicable Me, and Kong possibly opening next year. Frozen Maelstrom just doesn't interest me. Now Avatar is looking to be amazing once that finally comes. Long story short, I never ever ever thought I'd say this but I may also take that break and see what Universal is all about for a year. In the past I've only considered a day or two. I still love Disney more than anything but maybe separation will be a good thing because once I'm back they'll be something new and exciting and old favorites waiting as well.
Yes the preferred Universal pass is a great deal. That's the one I always get. The renewal price on it is even better ;)

Mike S

I suspect Kong will be more like a land in itself, anchored by a big ride, rather than just a Transformers style ride within a building. If that's the case then it will be fairer to compare it to (struggles to think of anything Disney's built on that scale) Belle's village, maybe?

Frozen will get bigger crowds, longer lines, and more hype, but the scale and ambition of Kong will make it a very close competition, and attract a much wider demographic in the long run.
That could have the potential to work against it. After waiting for hours in line for it, I think some people will get off thinking "that was it?" rather than "that was amazing!!!" That's what happens when you go cheap.

BrerJon

That could have the potential to work against it. After waiting for hours in line for it, I think some people will get off thinking "that was it?" rather than "that was amazing!!!" That's what happens when you go cheap.

That's pretty much the definition of the Mine Train though, and that doesn't appear to have hurt that attraction's popularity, or park attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom