Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

celluloid

Epic Universe will have a healthy amount of offerings for the whole family. Beyond the family rides which make up the majority of the selection, there's two stage shows, an insane amount of interactivity at SNW in addition to at least 8 mini-attractions, and lastly the new generation wands at Potter.

Just to note, there is a good amount of interactivity in SNS if it is akin to Japan or Hollywood's. They are all requiring the Power up Band Purchas of 20-30 dollars a person to do. You are not even allowed into the Bowser one unless everyone in your party has the band. I don't think that is fair to call it a set of mini attractions in the park when it is an upgraded paid for experience. Unless you count the things in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge as that. I don't.

I am stoked for EPIC Universe, but there are the flaw concerns.

What family rides section allows kids under age 4 on many attractions? Super Nintendo's Mario Kart has a height requirement of 42 inches in Japan. 40 in Hollywood, so we can presume that may happen in FL too. For reference, that is the same ride height requirement as Spiderman or Transformers.

Most kids will be four years old before they can ride Mario Kart with their families. It is not a Fantasyland, Adventureland or even Frontierland situation.

Yoshi has a low height requirement 0f 36 inches which for reference is two inches taller of a height requirement than ET Adventure.

Universal Studios Florida has most of their attractions at 40 inches with one 42 inch and two of their major coaster thrills at 48 and 51 inches. One 34 inch Height Requirement and one no height requirement ride as well as a moving walkway no height requirement ride and one motion simulator with stationary seating.

You can half count Hogwarts Express if you want.

Islands of Adventure runs from 36 inches for seven rides that a kid at 36 inches can experience with their family.

You can half count Hogwarts here as well if you want too.

Epic Universe could have that number, but we have not seen it yet.

So far. Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure are more family friendly than what we know for EPIC Universe. That was my point that the park is likely to have to work on that in time the way IOA did.

Disneyhead'71

Just to note, there is a good amount of interactivity in SNS if it is akin to Japan or Hollywood's. They are all requiring the Power up Band Purchas of 20-30 dollars a person to do. You are not even allowed into the Bowser one unless everyone in your party has the band. I don't think that is fair to call it a set of mini attractions in the park when it is an upgraded paid for experience. Unless you count the things in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge as that. I don't.

What family rides section allows kids under age 4 on many attractions? Super Nintendo's Mario Kart has a height requirement of 42 inches in Japan. 40 in Hollywood, so we can presume that may happen in FL too. For reference, that is the same ride height requirement as Spiderman or Transformers.

Most kids will be four years old before they can ride Mario Kart with their families. It is not a Fantasyland, Adventureland or even Frontierland situation.

Yoshi has a low height requirement 0f 36 inches which for reference is two inches taller of a height requirement than ET Adventure.

Universal Studios Florida has most of their attractions at 40 inches with one 42 inch and two of their major coaster thrills at 48 and 51 inches. One 34 inch Height Requirement and one no height requirement ride as well as a moving walkway no height requirement ride and one motion simulator with stationary seating.

Islands of Adventure runs from 36 inches for seven rides that a kid at 36 inches can experience with their family.

So far. Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure are more family friendly than what we know for EPIC Universe. That was my point that the park is likely to have to work on that in time the way IOA did.
Universal has never actively courted the stroller brigade, but they do provide some things for toddlers to do.

HTTYD will have a stage show, a playground, and M&Gs. The Hub has the carousel and a Splash Pad. SNW has Yoshi and a playground in Donky Kong. There is a stage show in Potter (may be too intense for toddlers, we will see when it opens). I don't think there is anything for toddlers in Monster Land.

celluloid

Universal has never actively courted the stroller brigade, but they do provide some things for toddlers to do.

HTTYD will have a stage show, a playground, and M&Gs. The Hub has the carousel and a Splash Pad. SNW has Yoshi and a playground in Donky Kong. There is a stage show in Potter (may be too intense for toddlers, we will see when it opens). I don't think there is anything for toddlers in Monster Land.
Not quite true. Targeted? Debatable, A chunk of opening day had what kids at the time enjoyed, but all attractions always included them. Remember the early 90s had attractions at Universal that were directly or indirectly tied into things kids loved of the time. Fivel(show but later play area) Ghostbusters and Back to the Future had cartoon tie ins and kids loved those properties and attractions as much and in some cases more than the parents. popularity because of that and HB had a generation of kids watching the same toons that young to old knew. All of this complimented with not just rides that every age and height could experience, but two large stunt shows and an Animal show.

Universal from 1990 to 1999 no rides had height requirements except for Back to the Future which came in 1991. The material was sometimes natural disaster or daring, but the choice was there and many, millions of kids, including this guy typing rode them all. Besides Back to the Future to come in 1991 and the non motion seating was an option for Funtastic World since opening day. Everyone could ride everything.

Donkey Kong playground could be a lot of fun.

The recent additions of Minions and Kid Zone revamped with more to do shows the need for Universal leaning into families experiencing things together again as a void that needs filled.

IOA has had some of the best theme park playgrounds, walk throughs and special effects shows anywhere both in scale and scope, and it struggled with this and its only new (and rushed after the park was only open a year) attractions as its only expansion for years were ones to fill that void. Storm Force Accelatron and Flying Unicorn. And this was back when Cat in The Hat had zero height requirement but was more intense.(accident litigation changed that)

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

Not quite true. Targeted? Debatable, A chunk of opening day had what kids at the time enjoyed, but all attractions always included them. Remember the early 90s had attractions at Universal that were directly or indirectly tied into things kids loved of the time. Fivel(show but later play area) Ghostbusters and Back to the Future had cartoon tie ins and kids loved those properties and attractions as much and in some cases more than the parents. popularity because of that and HB had a generation of kids watching the same toons that young to old knew. All of this complimented with not just rides that every age and height could experience, but two large stunt shows and an Animal show.

Universal from 1990 to 1999 no rides had height requirements except for Back to the Future which came in 1991. The material was sometimes natural disaster or daring, but the choice was there and many, millions of kids, including this guy typing rode them all. Besides Back to the Future to come in 1991 and the non motion seating was an option for Funtastic World since opening day. Everyone could ride everything.

Donkey Kong playground could be a lot of fun.

The recent additions of Minions and Kid Zone revamped with more to do shows the need for Universal leaning into families experiencing things together again as a void that needs filled.

IOA has had some of the best theme park playgrounds, walk throughs and special effects shows anywhere both in scale and scope, and it struggled with this and its only new (and rushed after the park was only open a year) attractions as its only expansion for years were ones to fill that void. Storm Force Accelatron and Flying Unicorn. And this was back when Cat in The Hat had zero height requirement but was more intense.(accident litigation changed that)
I will say one thing that's a positive about it. Unlike Disney, Universal is not just one big stroller parking lot and traffic jam.

celluloid

I will say one thing that's a positive about it. Unlike Disney, Universal is not just one big stroller parking lot and traffic jam.

They have always had better stroller parking areas than Disney, who not only has more population of strollers, higher attendance and retrofitted stroller spots.

This was well designed right down to Hogwarts Express, you can actually fold the strollers up and Team Members will place them themselves into their own car on the train.

Another great aspect of Universal, that I hope continues, is how they do rider Swap. You have the option to wait in the queue and switch in the room for the rest of your party and child to ride again, or you could wait outside of the attraction.

Your child not tall enough or guest who is not able to ride for whatever reason can still enjoy the queue and as much atmosphere as possible with the entire family.

At Disney, my kids can't always see the inside of the things in the queue line that the attractions that they could get a kick out of.

My95cobras

universal is not Disney. The one time fee for the band is like the wand. Not pay 20 per ride to skip a line.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
universal is not Disney. The one time fee for the band is like the wand. Not pay 20 per ride to skip a line.
Yeah, Universal is completely different. They charge 4-6 times more to skip the line!!

And they charge the cost of a wand for Potterland effects.

And they charge a hopper fee if you want to ride the Express.

And they charge for a band for the Nintendo world effects.

Nothing like Disney.

celluloid

It is still reasonable to want interactivity in lands without an upcharge. And it is still in fact that every person in your party must have the band to experience the Bowser battle. A family of four that gets to be near 100 bucks.

Sorcerer Mickey

It is still reasonable to want interactivity in lands without an upcharge. And it is still in fact that every person in your party must have the band to experience the Bowser battle. A family of four that gets to be near 100 bucks.
This is not true. We went to Mario Land in Hollywood and only my son had a band. My wife and I were still able to participate in the Bowser Jr. mini game.

celluloid

This is not true. We went to Mario Land in Hollywood and only my son had a band. My wife and I were still able to participate in the Bowser Jr. mini game.

Interesting. It must have changed. According to many posts about Hollywood, it seems with kids it used to be one parent per band when crowd levels have been lower. It is cool that you both got to go in with just your son having one. In Japan it was far more strict. Good that it is changing. Good to hear. It is a shame that one must be required rather than having a few options of interactivity that are not band based. In Japan, this felt a bit Galaxy's Edge in that regard. Not quite as expensive, but I was not going to drop the extra money with how they had it set up there. We will wait for EPIC if we ever decide to do it and my son was more interested in having the money for a novelty Jaws hat and toy.

It would be great if the Bowser Jr challenge was built with multiple rooms that could increase efficiency and have the more lenient version of the policy

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

Yeah, Universal is completely different. They charge 4-6 times more to skip the line!!

And they charge the cost of a wand for Potterland effects.

And they charge a hopper fee if you want to ride the Express.

And they charge for a band for the Nintendo world effects.

Nothing like Disney.

Unless you stay in a "Deluxe" which is complimentary. (Right...nothing like Disney)

Wand effects is no different than Disney selling packs of cards to enjoy an additional experience in the Magic Kingdom.
You mean the Immersive transportation that brings you to another full theme park to continue your experience/adventure?
Charging for a band in Nintendo for effects is different than charging for a band for Galaxy's Edge effects...how?

Anybody can spin it for or against either. Let's just all agree that both do everything to squeeze every cent they can out of you while you are there.

WDWFREAK53

Yes, which was my point against a "Universal doesn't squeeze you like Disney does" post.
Agreed.

Maybe the way Universal does it makes it feel more palatable?
Express Pass is a huge expense...but you buy once and then you enjoy your day with it. With Lightning Lanes, it feels like you're paying extra for each individual ride on top of paying at the gate (if using Individual Lightning Lanes).
Sure, you need a hopper pass to ride Hogwart's Express...but, unlike Disney, you're getting something extra with that hopper pass (an exclusive attraction).
Same with the Freestyle cups. These work better than the Disney refillables. To me, I need to hydrate more often at the parks than at my resort so only allowing refills at the resort is a pain. Not to mention, if I fill up on my way out of the resort, then I'm lugging a useless mug around the park with me.

I'm not trying to justify these methods...just trying to get into the psyche of why it seems like Universal is doing it in way that almost makes it seem "worth it."

JoeCamel

Agreed.

Maybe the way Universal does it makes it feel more palatable?
Express Pass is a huge expense...but you buy once and then you enjoy your day with it. With Lightning Lanes, it feels like you're paying extra for each individual ride on top of paying at the gate (if using Individual Lightning Lanes).
Sure, you need a hopper pass to ride Hogwart's Express...but, unlike Disney, you're getting something extra with that hopper pass (an exclusive attraction).
Same with the Freestyle cups. These work better than the Disney refillables. To me, I need to hydrate more often at the parks than at my resort so only allowing refills at the resort is a pain. Not to mention, if I fill up on my way out of the resort, then I'm lugging a useless mug around the park with me.

I'm not trying to justify these methods...just trying to get into the psyche of why it seems like Universal is doing it in way that almost makes it seem "worth it."
Yes, I said it 10 years ago, Universal makes me want to give them my money (value) Disney makes me feel like Bob's hand is in my pocket. Bob is not a builder, Universal is and rewards loyalty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom