Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannab@dis

dxer07002 said:
Unfortunetly, Yes... way too many times... And what really annoys me is this.. Recently, I have been the person who gets tossed around cleaning up every other person's mess.. Example: Someone in my department made a huge mess of his work.. What happened?? He wasn't fired or reprimanded.. I was pulled off my work and given his to clean.. And what does he do? he sits there, flirts with the girls in work, talks on the phone on personal calls, and does minimal work, while I had to clean his mess up... So, I know exactly what you are talking about... And to think I am doing this WITHOUT getting any raise or bonus this year...
Been there, done that... What TAC describes above is what I've heard described as the "Peter Management Method." Promote problematic employees until they no longer cause problems. I've seen it happen and it's annoying to no end.

However, if you are not against a little mischevious planning, you should be able to figure out how to, uhm, initiate a change. :lookaroun

Captain Chaos

TAC said:
And watch, he will get promoted. Why? Because your boss doesn't want him. So he gets pawned off to someone else. You, on the other hand, are too valuable to let go to a different department.

I've seen it happen, and I have been in your situation.

Nah, he left for a management position at a larger firm, more than doubling his salary... he had to put on some act during his interview...

wannab@dis said:
Been there, done that... What TAC describes above is what I've heard described as the "Peter Management Method." Promote problematic employees until they no longer cause problems. I've seen it happen and it's annoying to no end.

However, if you are not against a little mischevious planning, you should be able to figure out how to, uhm, initiate a change. :lookaroun

Wonder what I am doing posting on here during working hours?? LoL... Yep, doing what everyone else in my department does.. NOTHING!!!

Magister

GothMickey said:
How about giving every CM a raise of 50 cents across the board?? For deserving CMs, those who go above and beyond to help create and sustain the magic, they get more of a raise...

For those CM's that are making more than $10 an hour, what will $.50 increase do? I would be insulted? Maybe a scaled increase based on job title and performance.

Imagine if you will - Boss walks up to you and says 'I know you have been working very hard and deserve more, but I was only able to get you a $.50 raise an hour. Not everyone got one, but I at least got that for you.'

Compare that to a blanket $.50 an hour raise to every Tom, ________ and Harry that works there regardless of performance.

I would imagine the individual and the company would gain more by rewarding top performers, and not just blanket raises.

It has been stated before, these are unskilled workers. Therefore, this is considered a short-term position. Anyone intending to live off the part-time wages of a CM isn't exactly in a position to demand more. There are real jobs outside of the WDW campus that will pay you more. You might be able to take some of the magic with you when you leave. But working for WDW as a frontline CM shouldnt' be thought of as a career.

My first job was bussing tables for $3.25 an hour. Heck, I even worked at a Union Shop before making minimum. That was great, had to pay an hours worth of my wage each week just to work there.

I went to college, worked during college and improved myself to the point where $.50 an hour increase wouldn't mean much. Heck, per-diem on a business trip for most working people is $40+ just for food. I can't imagine how someone would try to live on $10 a day that is really trying to raise a family. Great for some kid living with the 'rents or sharing an apartment with other kids.

I probably didn't contribute to the discussion, but ehh..

speck76

Original Poster
at the same time (in another thread) the bus drivers are complaining about having to work too much OT

Well, OT is at least time and a half, if not more....and I would think for these "poor CM's" the additional income would be welcome, if not needed....

On the other hand, these could just be people that want to make as much as possible while working as little as possible......

Jheyman

Steve, I appoligize if I did or said anything out of line on your boards you run a good place here and I am sorry if I did anything out of line. On that note I am done posting here I think this is one of htese places where we all walk away and say we have differing opinions and thats what makes the world go 'round. Thanks to you all for a very good discussion though I hope there was no hard feelings.

Disneyland1970

speck76 said:
at the same time (in another thread) the bus drivers are complaining about having to work too much OT

Well, OT is at least time and a half, if not more....and I would think for these "poor CM's" the additional income would be welcome, if not needed....

On the other hand, these could just be people that want to make as much as possible while working as little as possible......

DUDE! You are just looking for every button to push aren't you??
I guess safety on the road or time with a family member is just too much to ask for. C'mon what GREAT job do you have??
The rest of us un-educated,lazy,poor,unmotivated,salary s__________g, bottom line killing people want to know. What cash cow job did you get with your business degree?? You state you have worked your way up the ladder to UPPER Management, but with your lack of compasion and people skills, I can't visualize you being the great leader you claim. If you are that proud and superior, spill the beans. Heck, its the internet LIE. If I were to bet, you are a shift manager at a local hotel or involved it the hotel industry. I bet your staff is one well oiled machine.

I'm guessing from your post count you have no family to spend time with,(not meant to knock anyone who spends time here on this wonderful site, just an observation or maybe a statistic if you may) so, why should anyone else!!! Especially those poor Disney CMs who drive bus loads of people around. " Let them eat cake!"

I would love for you to post a picture of yourself so all of your FRIENDS at WDW could recognize you on your next trip. Can you say MAGICAL!! Why do you even bother spending time @ WDW. Do you feel it is your way of giving back to the little people? Just remember Karma is a b*t*h!

speck76

Original Poster
Disneyland1970 said:
DUDE! You are just looking for every button to push aren't you??
I guess safety on the road or time with a family member is just too much to ask for. C'mon what GREAT job do you have??
The rest of us un-educated,lazy,poor,unmotivated,salary s__________g, bottom line killing people want to know. What cash cow job did you get with your business degree?? You state you have worked your way up the ladder to UPPER Management, but with your lack of compasion and people skills, I can't visualize you being the great leader you claim. If you are that proud and superior, spill the beans. Heck, its the internet LIE. If I were to bet, you are a shift manager at a local hotel or involved it the hotel industry. I bet your staff is one well oiled machine.

I'm guessing from your post count you have no family to spend time with,(not meant to knock anyone who spends time here on this wonderful site, just an observation or maybe a statistic if you may) so, why should anyone else!!! Especially those poor Disney CMs who drive bus loads of people around. " Let them eat cake!"

I would love for you to post a picture of yourself so all of your FRIENDS at WDW could recognize you on your next trip. Can you say MAGICAL!! Why do you even bother spending time @ WDW. Do you feel it is your way of giving back to the little people? Just remember Karma is a b*t*h!
What...life is about choices....

You chose to be a bus driver, which is never going to pay a bunch...

You chose to have a family, which costs additional money...

So, you want to keep a low responsibility job, and have them pay you more per hour, so you can support your family. They are giving you the chance to make more money, but it is not the way you want to make your money....because it makes you work harder...and longer.....

So, you want to have your cake and eat it too.....good luck with that.

BTW...compassion is easy to fake.....it is all about "acting"......as a member of the cast, I am sure you can relate.

Disneyland1970

wannab@dis said:
That last part seems a little insensitive. But, in any event... there may be a reason some corporations are looking to other places to fill jobs. In fact, there's ONE primary reason. ;)

But, to answer your questions... I have enough knowledge about the subject and don't need to research it further for this debate. I didn't just pick 50,000 out of the air... it does have significance.

First off if I have offended anyone on here I am truly sorry. I guess I am a glutten for punishment to keep answering these guys.

Well unfortunately it is the truth about making Mexico into modern day slave labor. Most new Dodge pickups are built in Mexico by people lucky to make $20 a day. but that is another problem all together.... How is the gas mileage on that big ol MAGNUM anyway???

So Mister Knowledge, every worker at WDW is in the same union? All 50,000 of them in the same union. That would make them one of the largest unions in one location in the U.S, if not the world. SO maybe the CMs are in one local,(thats a group of people who have the same job, or maybe same industry, who belong to the same union office... I'll try to spell it out for you:) Take notes if needed ) Electricans another, janitors another and so on. This also depends if they choose to be in the union or if it is mandatory. I find it hard to believe that a right to work state like Florida would allow it to be manditory, but I will look that up and get back to you on that, I could be mistaken. You see not all jobs require union membership as a term of employment. Call me crazy but some people actually join without a gun pointed at them. I know that is hard for you to believe, but it is true. So, I will say it is true that union membership is required for arguments sake. Now I do not claim to be the number wizard like you and speck , so I will just guess. I will guess that there are 15,000 CM's at all 4 WDW parks. Just a guess. So now we are down to $6 million a year in dues. Now believe it or not that money goes to local and national uses (You see the locals are all members of national offices of the same union) Now that money is used for legal fees to fight for workers rights, slush funds for local strikes (so you can get some money if you go on strike) and to operate the local office. It is also used for legal fees during contract negotiations. No unions are not perfect, but sometimes it is better than nothing at all. Not all of us have landed that perfect job like you and speck, and we need a little help sometimes. I am sorry if the union dues are a little steep for new hires. Hopefully they will be worth it to you if they help get you get a raise.

SO maybe it is YOU who need to do a little more research. I would be happy to send you some URLs if you need more info on a local near you! I'm sure in those major metropolitan, financial hubs of Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City, TN you have some union halls. Walk in and ask some questions, They are not as closed minded as you!

wannab@dis

Disneyland1970 said:
First off if I have offended anyone on here I am truly sorry. I guess I am a glutten for punishment to keep answering these guys.

Well unfortunately it is the truth about making Mexico into modern day slave labor. Most new Dodge pickups are built in Mexico by people lucky to make $20 a day. but that is another problem all together.... How is the gas mileage on that big ol MAGNUM anyway???

So Mister Knowledge, every worker at WDW is in the same union? All 50,000 of them in the same union. That would make them one of the largest unions in one location in the U.S, if not the world. SO maybe the CMs are in one local,(thats a group of people who have the same job, or maybe same industry, who belong to the same union office... I'll try to spell it out for you:) Take notes if needed ) Electricans another, janitors another and so on. This also depends if they choose to be in the union or if it is mandatory. I find it hard to believe that a right to work state like Florida would allow it to be manditory, but I will look that up and get back to you on that, I could be mistaken. You see not all jobs require union membership as a term of employment. Call me crazy but some people actually join without a gun pointed at them. I know that is hard for you to believe, but it is true. So, I will say it is true that union membership is required for arguments sake. Now I do not claim to be the number wizard like you and speck , so I will just guess. I will guess that there are 15,000 CM's at all 4 WDW parks. Just a guess. So now we are down to $6 million a year in dues. Now believe it or not that money goes to local and national uses (You see the locals are all members of national offices of the same union) Now that money is used for legal fees to fight for workers rights, slush funds for local strikes (so you can get some money if you go on strike) and to operate the local office. It is also used for legal fees during contract negotiations. No unions are not perfect, but sometimes it is better than nothing at all. Not all of us have landed that perfect job like you and speck, and we need a little help sometimes. I am sorry if the union dues are a little steep for new hires. Hopefully they will be worth it to you if they help get you get a raise.

SO maybe it is YOU who need to do a little more research. I would be happy to send you some URLs if you need more info on a local near you! I'm sure in those major metropolitan, financial hubs of Bristol, Kingsport and Johnson City, TN you have some union halls. Walk in and ask some questions, They are not as closed minded as you!
As per Steve's request... I'm just going to ignore you. You're not worth the trouble... (take notes if needed) :rolleyes:

Have a magical day! :wave:

speck76

Original Poster
This is my big problem with unions.....they have NO concern for the well-being of the company when making these demands.

My old admin assistant....her husband worked for United Airlines....on the ground crew. He made over $25/hr...in Orlando (so, $50K a year) plus double or triple pay on sundays/holidays/overtime, plus a full pension, plus premium-free health insurance.....

A few years back, if you remember, United went chapter 11....and these overpaid employees could not figure out why on earth their pensions were no longer valid, and just had the biggest problem in the world when they were asked to take a small pay cut, and to help pay the insurance premium (which was about $20 each week). Her husband had the nerve to complain to me, about a week after he purchased a new Corvette.....

I personally think the WDW unions are why the starting pay is so low....WDW only has to revist pay increases with each contract...instead of other companies in the area which revisit the issue annually. I also do not like how it is not a level playing field....unions can promise members the world, but do not have to deliver.....meanwhile companies can not call them out.....and unions can not force companies to pay above-market wages....but they don't let the members know this.....

Disneyland1970

speck76 said:
What...life is about choices....

You chose to be a bus driver, which is never going to pay a bunch...

You chose to have a family, which costs additional money...

So, you want to keep a low responsibility job, and have them pay you more per hour, so you can support your family. They are giving you the chance to make more money, but it is not the way you want to make your money....because it makes you work harder...and longer.....

So, you want to have your cake and eat it too.....good luck with that.

BTW...compassion is easy to fake.....it is all about "acting"......as a member of the cast, I am sure you can relate.

C'mon sparky where do you work???

C'mon who employs a business minded stud like yourself? Thats the $64K question it seems.

The cake remark.....pick up a history book instead of the WSJ tomorrow Einstein! Now back to your dark little room and iron your uniform for work tomorrow. The company needs you! They would close down without your leadership, it shows!

Hey, I have Friday off for FREE.. No vacation taken away, no wage docked, just a free day for me and my family. The union got me that bennie! How about you? I know it shows my laziness, but I can live with myself. WOOHOO 4 days off. I bet you have to work, them lazy fools need your leadership.
I hope you have to work 18 hours with no breaks..because anything less would be just plain lazy! RIGHT?

BwanaBob

Please respect the opinions of others on the board and agree to disagree on viewpoints. There are many on the board with extremely different backgrounds.

Disneyland1970

speck76 said:
This is my big problem with unions.....they have NO concern for the well-being of the company when making these demands.

My old admin assistant....her husband worked for United Airlines....on the ground crew. He made over $25/hr...in Orlando (so, $50K a year) plus double or triple pay on sundays/holidays/overtime, plus a full pension, plus premium-free health insurance.....

A few years back, if you remember, United went chapter 11....and these overpaid employees could not figure out why on earth their pensions were no longer valid, and just had the biggest problem in the world when they were asked to take a small pay cut, and to help pay the insurance premium (which was about $20 each week). Her husband had the nerve to complain to me, about a week after he purchased a new Corvette.....

I personally think the WDW unions are why the starting pay is so low....WDW only has to revist pay increases with each contract...instead of other companies in the area which revisit the issue annually. I also do not like how it is not a level playing field....unions can promise members the world, but do not have to deliver.....meanwhile companies can not call them out.....and unions can not force companies to pay above-market wages....but they don't let the members know this.....

Strike one... United is an employee owned company. So they all had the well being of the company in mind. It was them. All airlines are still recovering from the 9/11 tragedy and high oil prices. If this was a good excuse for your Idol Eisner to cut back why not United?

Strike two.... If you think $50k is a high salary, you dont make squat. Also why knock him for working OT at time and a half. Just because you work salary! In the real world Pensions and health care are normal. Maybe your job is not that great?

Strike three....The unions can only promise what is on a ratified contract. If the employer signs on the dotted line with the union how is that not level! They both agreed. Maybe they had to strike to get what they wanted, but some people actually have the willingness to fight for what is right, not just have you spoon feed them your spiel for the workplace.

peter11435

Disneyland1970 said:
Strike one... United is an employee owned company. So they all had the well being of the company in mind. It was them. All airlines are still recovering from the 9/11 tragedy and high oil prices. If this was a good excuse for your Idol Eisner to cut back why not United?

Strike two.... If you think $50k is a high salary, you dont make squat. Also why knock him for working OT at time and a half. Just because you work salary! In the real world Pensions and health care are normal. Maybe your job is not that great?

Strike three....The unions can only promise what is on a ratified contract. If the employer signs on the dotted line with the union how is that not level! They both agreed. Maybe they had to strike to get what they wanted, but some people actually have the willingness to fight for what is right, not just have you spoon feed them your spiel for the workplace.

:wave:

Disneyland1970

wannab@dis said:
As per Steve's request... I'm just going to ignore you. You're not worth the trouble... (take notes if needed) :rolleyes:

Yeah,maybe one of the 50,000 CMs can loan me a pen!:wave:

Captain Chaos

Disneyland1970 said:

Depends where you live... In NY, 50K may get you by... in GA or Florida, 50K may make ur living comfortable.... without struggling much.... In NY, 50K, u r going to struggle.. All depends on the cost of living expenses.. in Florida, it is low.. in NY, it is extremely high... So. again. depending where you live, 50K may be a big enough salary to feed, cloth, and shelter a family of 4 and own a Corvette.... But in other area, 50K barely pays rent, car insurance, etc...

Captain Chaos

wannab@dis said:

Good idea... CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??? :veryconfu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom