Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

speck76

Original Poster
Union asks Disney to increase worker pay

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 20, 2006

The union representing about half the workers at Walt Disney World called on Disney executives Friday to increase wages to combat recent hiring and retention problems.

In a letter to Disney, the Services Trade Council cited mandatory overtime, increases in living costs -- such as high gas prices -- and stagnant wages as contributing to "low morale" on the job.

"The problem has clearly become such a general one affecting so many of the cast members that we represent we felt we needed to emphasize to the company the fundamental issues of the low starting wage," said Morty Miller, president of the council, an umbrella group that represents six unions with 29,000 Disney employees.

Disney launched a hiring blitz in recent months that featured job fairs and bonuses to workers who refer new hires.

Miller said those tactics ignore the real reason Disney can't hire and retain enough workers: compensation. He said 20 percent of the workers he represents earn less than $7 an hour.

Universal Orlando raised its minimum wage this month by 50 cents to $7.25 an hour as a way to remain competitive in the hiring game in a market with low unemployment. In March, SeaWorld Orlando went to $7 an hour.

Disney's starting wage is $6.90.

Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre said the company is always assessing its pay packages and ways to recruit employees.

"We offer a competitive package of wages and benefits, including subsidized on-site child care, commuter assistance and theme-park admission," he said. "We are constantly evaluating the market to ensure our wages remain competitive. Currently, we are looking at several different options to help us recruit and retain the best and most qualified cast members."

Beth Kassab can be reached at bkassab@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5448.

Epcot82Guy

While it really would have a major impact on the bottom line, I have to agree with the union here (which is a first). The wages and training need to be increased to promote the quality the resort needs IMHO.

wannab@dis

I need a raise to cover the costs of gas and living expense... but that shouldn't affect the quality of my work. ;)

The higher prices are also affecting Disney as a whole, so increasing the wages will only cause a bigger strain on the budget. It would be interesting to know when Disney last changed the wage scale.

wannab@dis

joeyjoe92979 said:
Trust me...the The Disney Company is not going to go broke by increasing wages, what they will do is increase guest satisfaction due to the CMs being happy to actually be at work and provide a better experience instead of being stressed out on how we are going to pay our bills.
Employees everywhere worry about how to pay their bills when working in entry level jobs. If you want better pay, get a better job.

Do you know the amount of money that minor increases in hourly wages involves? I'm betting no...

Mecha Figment

it's this crap right here that makes it very very difficult to work with a lot of union workers in entertainment as a CP right now.

I get dirty looks all the time because they feel we are taking their hours and their jobs. I have nothing to do with it, i go where they tell me to go.

BwanaBob

wannab@dis said:
Employees everywhere worry about how to pay their bills when working in entry level jobs. If you want better pay, get a better job.

Do you know the amount of money that minor increases in hourly wages involves? I'm betting no...
Couldn't agree more.

joeyjoe92979 said:
Trust me...the The Disney Company is not going to go broke by increasing wages, what they will do is increase guest satisfaction due to the CMs being happy to actually be at work and provide a better experience instead of being stressed out on how we are going to pay our bills.

Just adding the 20% of employees that he represents, assuming they work 20 hours per week, would be an additional 3 million dollars per year... worst case scenerio.

THAT isn't something that can just be 'done' easily... I don't care who you are.

drew81

What gets me is that Casting continue to says they don't have enough applicants for open postions and yet the pay they offer turns off alot of people. The situation out at Disneyland is even worse.

wannab@dis

joeyjoe92979 said:
I have far from an entry level job at Disney...

As a matter of fact I do know, considering I am part of a finance area in my department.

And another side note...Unless you are a high power executive at Disney, you don't make nearly enough money as you should. Most mid-range Disney managers only make around 30-35K a year.

Then change jobs. I've done it twice in the past 8 years and have increased my salary each time. Mid-range managers at WDW are similar to retail department supervisors... it's not going to pay that much. Sorry...

Just so everyone else knows... If this group covers 29000 workers and they get a $0.50/hr raise... that would be $30 Million based on FT with no overtime.

optjay

I doubt the public would pay increased park, resort, food, prices to go to Disney to help make up for the increased wages. After all, they also must pay for higher gas, and living prices.

BwanaBob

joeyjoe92979 said:
And without CM's there is no WDW...

I can't believe how this post is so against CM's making more money, I guess the guest really do only think about themselves.
How do 13 posts make everyone against CM's?

wannab@dis

joeyjoe92979 said:
And without CM's there is no WDW...

I can't believe how this post is so against CM's making more money, I guess the guest really do only think about themselves.
Show me one person that DOES NOT want a raise... That's a messed up argument that guests only think of themselves.

Selective increases are fine IF the worker deserves it. Across the board increases for union members is a financial screw up and an HR screwup. There's no incentive for the employees to do a better job. In fact, I dare say that the good CMs would make more money if they would get rid of the unions. :wave:

JRob2k1

With manadatory overtime common throughout the year and CMs being on 6th and 7th days, Disney is paying out the butt in overtime. Usually 20 hours of a CM's work week is at time and a half or doubletime so we are talking about wages in between $10 to $20 and hour.

I dont see how Disney wouldnt want to raise the min wage and hire more CM's so they didnt have to pay overtime!

wannab@dis

JRob2k1 said:
With manadatory overtime common throughout the year and CMs being on 6th and 7th days, Disney is paying out the butt in overtime. Usually 20 hours of a CM's work week is at time and a half or doubletime so we are talking about wages in between $10 to $20 and hour.

I dont see how Disney wouldnt want to raise the min wage and hire more CM's so they didnt have to pay overtime!
Overtime is cheaper than benefits in many cases. :wave:

speck76

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:

I agree......you will never be any better off by waiting for COLA increases....

Perhaps the union should have thought of this last year when the contract was renewed.

speck76

Original Poster
drew smith said:
What gets me is that Casting continue to says they don't have enough applicants for open postions and yet the pay they offer turns off alot of people. The situation out at Disneyland is even worse.

Unemployment in Orlando is less than 2%

Anything less than 2% is considered "100% employment"...as those not working....do not want to work.

The company I work for in Orlando has 600 open positions, and we can not get people in the door....and our pay starts at around $9 per hour.....it is not a lack of pay that is keeping people away from working at WDW, it is a lack of unemployed people.

If entry pay is raised, sure....some people may leave their current jobs and apply at WDW, but these people would be interested in working at WDW for the fact that they are paying more, not because they are actually interested in upholding the standards of WDW, or that they are interested in maintaining the magic....

SeaWorld and Universal have always paid more than WDW for entry level jobs, yet the people working at these parks do not compare with those working at WDW.

MickeyTigg

2%...I thought anything below 4% was full employment...anyhow.

Disney or any other company is never going to pay workers anymore than they have to....that's just the way capitalism works.

If you feel that you can get paid better somewhere else for the same job....leave. My guess is that many CM's don't leave because they want to work for Disney. And Disney knows this. They probably know that increasing wages is not going to get more applicants and more CM's hired because of the job market.

The move by the union is a good move...because the only way Disney is going to increase wages is through union negotiation right now...so it can't hurt to ask. Because apparently the market isn't going to get it. The problem...the union doesn't have much clout here because what are they going to do...strike?

The only other way wages are going to move is if a lot of CM's leave because of the money...then in order to retain CM's Disney will have to increase wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom