Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid closing for month long refurbishment Feb 2-Mar 6

dreamscometrue

At DCA, didn't they repaint the scenes with a paint that better reflects light, thereby needing less light in the scenes? If so, is that what they did here to make it look better?

BrerJon

This is so much better now, I'm very pleased :)

Now they need to improve that rushed and nonsensical ending where Ursula grants Ariel's wish and becomes a human, finds a man and gets married whilst Ursula unexpectedly dies lol

Disney often does that, they run out of money then have a lame last scene when they can't afford to put something decent in - see also The Great Movie Ride and Spaceship Earth for equally bad examples.

habuma

Sure, the story is messed up and doesn't have any real resolution...such as what happened to Ursula...but such changes would've required a much lengthier refurb so I wasn't expecting them. I am very happy to see what has changed, though. The colors are more vibrant and there's more to look at now. And, as someone who tries to photograph every nook and cranny of the parks (flash off, of course), I'm terribly excited to go back...it seems that although it's still a dark ride, it's less dark in places. The Flotsam and Jetsam scene, in particular, has been impossible to photograph before...but looks very do-able now.

Of course, all of this observation is from the posted videos. I won't get to see the real thing until May when I go see it in DCA.

hokielutz

Sure, the story is messed up and doesn't have any real resolution...such as what happened to Ursula...but such changes would've required a much lengthier refurb so I wasn't expecting them. I am very happy to see what has changed, though. The colors are more vibrant and there's more to look at now. And, as someone who tries to photograph every nook and cranny of the parks (flash off, of course), I'm terribly excited to go back...it seems that although it's still a dark ride, it's less dark in places. The Flotsam and Jetsam scene, in particular, has been impossible to photograph before...but looks very do-able now.

Of course, all of this observation is from the posted videos. I won't get to see the real thing until May when I go see it in DCA.

Its not a lengthier refurb... but a lengthier ride altogether to create the scene for the battle at sea. Blame the DCA footprint for this?

ToTBellHop

Its not a lengthier refurb... but a lengthier ride altogether to create the scene for the battle at sea. Blame the DCA footprint for this?
Blame it on Disney's cheapness for insisting that the rides have identical footprints. Thank goodness they didn't feel the same for Haunted Mansion or PotC or Splash Mountain or ToT, or there'd be no reason to go to both DL and WDW.

SJN1279

This is so much better now, I'm very pleased :)

Now they need to improve that rushed and nonsensical ending where Ursula grants Ariel's wish and becomes a human, finds a man and gets married whilst Ursula unexpectedly dies lol

I agree, just how can they do it?

jdmdisney99

Am I the only one that thinks it looks brighter in some areas and exposes even more of what I should not be seeing? Under the Sea room is an improvement, but other rooms seem brighter than before o_O
I see the same in some areas. Though it might just be the contrast.

Brer Panther

Poor use of space indeed. I say gut the belle meet and greet and make it a nice little Dark ride for beauty and the beast. And gut the empty circus tent for the fab 4 over at Story book circus and make that a Pinocchio's scary adventures ride themed to the horrors of Pleasure island :') Also gut the merida meet and greet and the cheshire cafe and add an Alice dark ride. The space is all there.

And use the Tommorowland Speedway space to build a dark ride, too... Maybe a new version of Mr. Toad? Between that, Pooh, and Alice in Wonderland, we'd have a nice British subland.

Mike S

And use the Tommorowland Speedway space to build a dark ride, too... Maybe a new version of Mr. Toad? Between that, Pooh, and Alice in Wonderland, we'd have a nice British subland.
I've had an idea for that. A new trackless ride with the same kind of setup as MK's old dual track version but completely different at the same time. Two different load zones and due to the ride being trackless it has the ability to be random where you go. Maybe even some near crashes between ride vehicles. Also state of the art AA's, of course.

CinematicFusion

I rode little mermaid at disneyland and really enjoyed it, to me it's right up there with Alice in wonderland for top fantasyland style dark rides at disneyland (Peter pan was closed...I'm sure after the upgrades it will be amazing) RSR being number one dark ride at Disneyland...then it's hard not to put HM and POTC right under that one.

Just my opinion from a fan.

Worst ending of all the dark rides is Snow White. It's a great dark ride....and then it just ends.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom