TSM review, details, and spoilers!

WDWEric

Who cares how it fits, it just does! We are getting a great attraction and people complain because it doesn't fit, come on people stop finding everything negative and be happy about something new.

Missing20K

Depending on how you view the purpose of Pixar land in DHS, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

DHS = park to showcase movies and the studios that produce them

Pixar Studios = most prominent movie producing studio in the Disney Company

Pixar Land = section of DHS showcasing Pixar Studios

Toy Story = Pixar's most recognizable movie series

Doesn't seem like to much of a reach to me. :shrug: Maybe the story line doesn't fit perfectly with the park, but neither do stunt shows.

CaptainMichael

Depending on how you view the purpose of Pixar land in DHS, I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

DHS = park to showcase movies and the studios that produce them

Pixar Studios = most prominent movie producing studio in the Disney Company

Pixar Land = section of DHS showcasing Pixar Studios

Toy Story = Pixar's most recognizable movie series

Doesn't seem like to much of a reach to me. :shrug: Maybe the story line doesn't fit perfectly with the park, but neither do stunt shows.

When you look at it that way it does fit, you're right, but let's be honest here, this ride was created for Paradise Pier at DCA, and it's so obvious. It wasn't made with DHS in mind other than it being a potential clone.

How do the stunt shows not fit when they each deal with how stunts are done in movies?:shrug:

Missing20K

I meant more the story line of a stunt show, which there usually isn't. Not a backstory or anything. Stunt shows definitely fit in with the theme of DHS. Some people were complaining that being shrunk down to toy size to play with a toy about the toys, the apparent backstory, and how it doesn't fit with DHS. My point was that the backstory doesn't need to fit in with the park theme, cause the park theme is movies, and anything can happen in movies. The backstory of TSM not fitting with the overall theme of DHS should not matter, just as it does not matter the backstory, or lack thereof, of the stunt shows.

dearapollo

having not read the whole thread (sorry). Something has always kind of irked me. What makes this ride so much different then buzz lightyear's spin? Maybe I haven't kept up with this ride as much as I should have but still. This review or whatever still hasn't had me convinced that this is a much see, besides this being a new attraction for mgm or whatever they call it nowadays.

lpet11984

... this ride was created for Paradise Pier at DCA, and it's so obvious. It wasn't made with DHS in mind other than it being a potential clone.

And Soarin' (Over California) was created for DCA as well, but it does a decent job of showing the beauty of the land and seems to fit decently in the Land pavilion.... :shrug:

I think which park it was created for specifically is relatively inconsequential...what matters is that DHS is getting a ride that it desperately needs. The fit may be a be a bit of a stretch, but this is still a very good thing for DHS and WDW.

mrssparrow

Ok,
First it took me 15 minutes to decipher MILF in tomorrowland. I thought there were a lot of mothers walking around there... ANYWAY.... Now I've since figured it out.

Now on to the pertinent:

Bugs life = Animal Kingdom.... It just fits there
Buzz = tomorrowland.... it fits there
Pirates = adventureland... always been there. ride created movie
Nemo=Living Seas.... they're all fish... (now debate that this should all move to AK)
TSM + Park with minimal draw lately + Pixar's role in recent movies - MGM sponsorship = DHS. It just fits.. They not only add a ride there, but overhauled the back area.... This is just the beginning of the overhaul...

My .02:hammer:

DHS had the space and need at the time.....

echoreyn

Ok,
First it took me 15 minutes to decipher MILF in tomorrowland. I thought there were a lot of mothers walking around there...

Yeah, I know. It took me ages to figure that one out since it's not on the official thread of acronyms. I was like Disney, Disney, Disney, WHAT?:eek:
:lol:

As for whether TSM fits ins DHS, are we really arguing about this? We've finally got a new attraction to enjoy. Let's enjoy it!

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
It sounds great to me. Especially for it's ability to be easily updated and changed to keep it fresh and to match the holidays.

As for it's placement I'm torn. Does it fit perfectly with DHS? No. But it is compatible with Pixar Place so it will work. Also, anything that will help make it worth while to go to DHS is a plus.

My only two issues I have with the ride are as follows.
1. The color coding for each player. I and many others are color blind. The most common version is red-green. It means I have trouble telling the difference between color shades that are close and green from orange or red. As long as they use drastically different colors it should be fine.
2. I am sick and tired of having to clean my glasses after every show and many rides because of water being sprayed on them. Please give us an option to shut off the water.

Other than that I am really excited about this ride.

CrashNet

2. I am sick and tired of having to clean my glasses after every show and many rides because of water being sprayed on them. Please give us an option to shut off the water.

Well the good news is you'll be wearing 3D glasses over your regular glasses, so they should stay dry. :)

RSoxNo1

TSM is no different than Star Tours or the Great Movie Ride in terms of it's fit. It's objective is to place you inside the movie. Of course, the same can be said about most movie based rides. Determining a fit for the studios is tough. Why does Tower of Terror fit? Why does Rock 'n Roller Coaster fit? I think the only real legit fits at DHS are the two stunt shows and the backlot tour.

Epcot82Guy

I think the attraction sounds fun and will be a welcome addition.

As for the argument about placement, this is the now all-too-common problem with transition. When MGM opened Star Tours, it worked because you went from the movie studio onto a set, into additional detail, and then eventually into a fully immersive environment (the ride).

The problem with a lot of clones these days is that there is no longer a reference to the surrounding area. When you go through training, most guides discuss the parks in terms of camera shots. You have your closeups (an individual element of a ride), your traditional shots (the ride), and your wide shots (the surroundings as a whole). This doesn't all have to make perfect sense; it just has to fit. Where the failure comes in IMHO is when you treat these as three separate shots and don't link them like a movie.

Of course I have not ridden the attraction, but the approach to transition would be quite easy in this case. You have a Pixar studio-like building. You could easily enter the studio in production for a new Toy Story short. Then you enter a design studio where you are drawn into the short. Pick up the story with Andy's new toy and the toys wanting to try their own shot at it. Make the exit a large artist's table where you re-enter the studio.

This would be just one minor tweak that suddenly makes the transition from the Wide Shot relate to the standard shot.

Most people talk about stories in the Disney Parks. This is certainly true, but a lot of parks have stories to their rides. What makes Disney so effective is the relationship between one story and another and, more importantly, the smooth transition from one into the other so that you never (in theory) get that jarring "Now I'm somewhere else" feeling. It preserves the sense of story and connection. Again, it doesn't have to make realistic sense. It just has to fit and feel right.

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member

As for the argument about placement, this is the now all-too-common problem with transition. When MGM opened Star Tours, it worked because you went from the movie studio onto a set, into additional detail, and then eventually into a fully immersive environment (the ride).

The problem with a lot of clones these days is that there is no longer a reference to the surrounding area. When you go through training, most guides discuss the parks in terms of camera shots. You have your closeups (an individual element of a ride), your traditional shots (the ride), and your wide shots (the surroundings as a whole). This doesn't all have to make perfect sense; it just has to fit. Where the failure comes in IMHO is when you treat these as three separate shots and don't link them like a movie.

Of course I have not ridden the attraction, but the approach to transition would be quite easy in this case. You have a Pixar studio-like building. You could easily enter the studio in production for a new Toy Story short. Then you enter a design studio where you are drawn into the short. Pick up the story with Andy's new toy and the toys wanting to try their own shot at it. Make the exit a large artist's table where you re-enter the studio.

This would be just one minor tweak that suddenly makes the transition from the Wide Shot relate to the standard shot.

Most people talk about stories in the Disney Parks. This is certainly true, but a lot of parks have stories to their rides. What makes Disney so effective is the relationship between one story and another and, more importantly, the smooth transition from one into the other so that you never (in theory) get that jarring "Now I'm somewhere else" feeling. It preserves the sense of story and connection. Again, it doesn't have to make realistic sense. It just has to fit and feel right.

Excellent explanation. Thank you.

Pete C

Why can't DHS just be like Universal...ride the movies. If it's based on a movie or show, it fits. I don't see a problem with this logic.

MousDad

When you look at it that way it does fit, you're right, but let's be honest here, this ride was created for Paradise Pier at DCA, and it's so obvious. It wasn't made with DHS in mind other than it being a potential clone.

I have thought long and hard about this and I realize that you are 100% right. After experiencing this realization, I have come to the following deep personal conclusion . . .

I DON'T CARE. I'm riding that sucker in June! Whoo, whoo, whoo

:wave:

Skippy_

Thats what I've been saying! When you enter the Pixar Animation Studios building, you should be in a recreation of their buildings interior, and then sucked into one of the computers or something like that. That way its like their making a new movie and now your apart of it.

Not, this is the Pixar Animation Studios but as soon as you enter your on a midway. ? GMR does a good job of outside Chinese Theater, recreation of the interior of the Chinese Theater and then a steady transition into movie sets. Thats like entering George Lucas' house but as soon as you enter, your suddenly in space on the set of Star Tours. The abrupt transition creates a juxtaposition and really takes you out of any movie studios feel you should've been in.

We just need to face that we're getting a clone of a ride no meant for this park, only because its cheaper to buy in twos, and that an effort to make it fit in is not on the top of their to do list as most of the GP could care less. You could've put this in DAK and they wouldn't give a crap because they just want an expensive video game, regardless of theme or location.

TP2000

When you look at it that way it does fit, you're right, but let's be honest here, this ride was created for Paradise Pier at DCA, and it's so obvious.

So there's a recreation of the Pixar studios in suburban Emeryville, California and you go inside and then you are in Andy's room where the toys have opened up his new midway game toy playset and you go on the ride? :confused:

I'm confused already. I thought the DHS version was going to be that the toys set up a midway game inside the Pixar studios to entertain visitors? I had read that here on this site earlier this year, and that plotline made a bit more sense.

But if it's now Pixar Studios in Emeryville is the portal to Andy's room where the toys are playing with a midway game playset under the bed and you go on the ride with them, then that's rather convoluted.

Timmay

Great...more complaining from folks about how something isn't the way they want it to be.

Can't people just wait and see the finished product before denouncing the theming or placement??:shrug:

jt04

Great...more complaining from folks about how something isn't the way they want it to be.

Can't people just wait and see the finished product before denouncing the theming or placement??:shrug:

If they do the "studio lands" concept then I think the background story would be that you are in that studios' "property". Kinda like an embassy in another country. That "property" then represents a showcase of that studios products. The concept is somewhere between a trade show and a foreign embassy if that makes sense. I know I am being abstract but I think it makes the point if you think about it. They are not trying to create a new Magic Kingdom concept per se. It will actually be a new park concept. You could also think of it as Innoventions on a much more refined and developed level. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom