TSM review, details, and spoilers!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I think people are taking this "theming" thing a bit too seriously. I mean, we all love the idea of theming. Othewise we'd go to an amusement park instead of a theme park. However, there's a balance between making everything perfectly themed, and just making it fun! I think Disney (with a few exceptions) as done very well, and that includes TSM.

jt04

I think people are taking this "theming" thing a bit too seriously. I mean, we all love the idea of theming. Othewise we'd go to an amusement park instead of a theme park. However, there's a balance between making everything perfectly themed, and just making it fun! I think Disney (with a few exceptions) as done very well, and that includes TSM.

I agree with you slightly. It is theming that sets Disney parks head and shoulders above everyone else. If they forget that then it will be a sad day. Just for the record, it is obvious to me that Iger (and the people he wants working for him) understand this much better than those who were part of the Eisner regime. I give Eisner credit for a lot of good things that happened at WDW but Iger is eliminating his mistakes at WDW slowly but surely :D

Dayma

I am not getting into the "themeing" discussion but I will say that the ride sounds fun and I am really looking forward to it. Too bad we leave this Sunday and will have to wait to see it till our next trip.

Thanks for the update!

jt04

I am not getting into the "themeing" discussion but I will say that the ride sounds fun and I am really looking forward to it. Too bad we leave this Sunday and will have to wait to see it till our next trip.

Thanks for the update!

I know it created a bit of "drift" but people really arn't gettin' that Pixar Place and Pixar Animation Studios at DHS is much more than just TSM. That will only be one facet of the new addition. And, most likely just the beginning of what will be happening at the Studios in the future.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming....

WaltsApprentice

I have thought long and hard about this and I realize that you are 100% right. After experiencing this realization, I have come to the following deep personal conclusion . . .

I DON'T CARE. I'm riding that sucker in June! Whoo, whoo, whoo

:wave:

YOU SAID IT Whoooo hooo!!!:wave: Viva TSM!!!:cool:

socalkdg

When you look at it that way it does fit, you're right, but let's be honest here, this ride was created for Paradise Pier at DCA, and it's so obvious. It wasn't made with DHS in mind other than it being a potential clone.

Just wait until you hear people complaining about the ride at DCA. The perfect ride in the perfect location and it will still get bashed because its DCA. It will happen, trust me. :)

socalkdg

Visit studio, see set for new Toy Story Movie, see toys come to life right in front of your eyes, get drawn into their game, play game.

Having the ride inside the studio building is as good as it can get for DHS. Better than MILF at MK, but maybe not better than a real MILF. :)

Skyway

Original Poster
Yeah, this bad theming is getting out of control!

A pirate ship, mine cars, and old-timey motorcars zooming around inside a Medieval faire tent?
Stupid Walt!

A Matterhorn mountain plopped between Alice in Wonderland and a Sub Lagoon?
Stupid Walt!

A ride about Caribbean pirates....in New Orleans?
Stupid Walt!

A walk-thru exhibit about the Civil War-period "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" in the original Tomorrowland?
Stupid Walt!

A European castle at the end of a turn-of-the-century American Main Street?
What were you smoking, Walt?

You guys are all soooo right! Disney has no CLUE what they're doing!

kingdaniel97

My big problem with this "WDW is getting a clone" argument is that it's opening first in DHS, DCA is getting it in June while DHS is getting it in May. While it may have been pitched initially for DCA I think the placement as long as the transition is present and well done mixed with the fact it comes out first in DHS is an overwhelming factor against the "clone" argument.

I also don't understand the Fantasyland argument... does Toy Story honestly come off as a storybook tale to any of you? Let's see... no damsel in distress(except at the beginning as a joke), electricity check, no prince charming. Toy Story is closer to Barney then a Storybook tale. These toys weren't brought to life by magic, the movie's plot is that all toys have conciousness and personalitys and truely that doesn't seem very storybook.

The reason that has been stated over and over for why this does fit in with DHS which some people still don't accept is that Pixar is opening "Pixar Place" which means they'd want some rides in there at start. Toy Story is an established movie(which is why it belongs in DHS) franchise made by Pixar(ergo Pixar Place) and therefore I am very happy with the actual placement. Do I say that it absolutely couldn't fit somewhere else? No. Do I not get that it was in fact made for DCA originally? No. That doesn't make it a clone just because it wasn't pitched for DHS. World Showcase wasn't supposed to be part of Epcot originally, it was gonna be a separate park but did they make a good transition between the two? I personally think so.

Missing20K

I think the argument could be made for many rides having better placement within a park or in an entirely different park. But considering the whole Pixar Place thing going at DHS, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place for TSM. Not saying it's perfect, but it's as good as it's going to get. As a previous post stated, if ToT and RnRC can be in DHS, and be linked together in a haphazard 40's era hollywood (I knew Aerosmith was old but not that old, damn!) than TSM can certainly be linked through Pixar Place.

But screw the placement......I'd ride it if the stuck it in Adventureland....:D

EpcotServo

You guys know Toontown at Disneyland? Or how about Maroon Studios in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Pixar Studios will be like that, where all the Pixar favorites will be hanging around and doing their thing. It'll be like how little kids would imagine Pixar Studios would look like, with Mike & Sulley walking next to Wall-E. That kind of thing.

Really I think that idea works better than the idea of giant toys on Paradise Pier.

jt04

Just wait until you hear people complaining about the ride at DCA. The perfect ride in the perfect location and it will still get bashed because its DCA. It will happen, trust me. :)

I am not worried about that at all. The bashers are lining up. Usually they have a low post total on these forums because it is obvious that some people are here for the sole reason of bashing Disney and they have to change their identities from time to time.

BUT Disney is going forward and it is obvious to me that the next few years (until 2011) and then the years from the 40th anniversary until the 50th in 2021 will be absolutely amazing at WDW. I really like the way things are going and Universal and Sea World will need more than roller coasters to keep up.

jt04

You guys know Toontown at Disneyland? Or how about Maroon Studios in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Pixar Studios will be like that, where all the Pixar favorites will be hanging around and doing their thing. It'll be like how little kids would imagine Pixar Studios would look like, with Mike & Sulley walking next to Wall-E. That kind of thing.

Really I think that idea works better than the idea of giant toys on Paradise Pier.

Amen to that! Well said.

tirian

Yeah, considering that the Nemo Subs didn't go over very well with DL aficionados, either. (Really, that's not sarcasm.)

tirian

I think the argument could be made for many rides having better placement within a park or in an entirely different park. But considering the whole Pixar Place thing going at DHS, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place for TSM. Not saying it's perfect, but it's as good as it's going to get.

You're right, but from a storytelling perspective, every Pixar attraction should now be in this area. That's partly the reasoning behind the alleged Lucas section that might be developed in the Studios.

Not that it matters. We're just talking theory here. It certainly doesn't make me dislike the attraction itself!

PeoplemoverTTA

One thing I'd like to see, for such a high-tech ride, is the ability to email your score. Especially with the whole "virtual prize" thing...How cool would it be to get home and have an email with your (and the rest of your family or car's) score, along with your virtual prize, available for download on your desktop - a constant reminder of the great time you had at DHS!

Anyway, this was a nice teaser - thanks for posting :)

One thing I'd like to see, for such a high-tech ride, is the ability to email your score. Especially with the whole "virtual prize" thing...How cool would it be to get home and have an email with your (and the rest of your family or car's) score, along with your virtual prize, available for download on your desktop - a constant reminder of the great time you had at DHS!

They have something like this when you are waiting for Turtle Talk. You take a quiz and can email you score to yourself at the end. It was a certificate. It was very cool to get home and have an email from yourself at disney haha. Would be really great if they did this at TSM

hpyhnt 1000

That is a great idea!

I wonder what the prizes are going to be though? Would they just be plushes and dolls of the characters from Toy Story, or would they be something completely different? :shrug:

darthjohnny

That would be very cool. :)

That is a great idea!

I wonder what the prizes are going to be though? Would they just be plushes and dolls of the characters from Toy Story, or would they be something completely different? :shrug:

I would think they might be virtual versions of the actual toys from Toy Story (i.e. a Buzz Lightyear action figure or a Mr. Spell, or that binocular toy, etc...). You get the idea.

WaltsApprentice

I Just wonder why did they put an arch on the other side?? Yet is should be expanding beyond it..unless the current Monsters and Cars phot places are just temp. But AMEN to what you said...its a very good point! And thank you for saying it...hmm you think Wall-e might be scared by the big Sulley though:lookaroun haha...just kidding

Yeah, considering that the Nemo Subs didn't go over very well with DL aficionados, either. (Really, that's not sarcasm.)
Hmm are you sure about it...because when I was there early December (i know it might have been the busy season) It had a huge line... we really wanted to get on it...but it never got short...Yet we were able to get quickly on popular rides like the Matorhorn(sp?), Small World, Buzz Lightyear, and Haunted Mansion.. Pirates was a walk on! But it must have been the timing...and the day...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom