Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley

TimeTrip

Original Poster
In the interests of letting people know what weather might affect their WDW visits, two tropical storms have a high probability of hitting florida, with the second possibly crossing over central florida eventually:
http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm2/projectedpath_large.html
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/strm2_strike_720x486.jpg

http://www.weather.com/maps/news/atlstorm3/projectedpath_large.html
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/strm3_strike_720x486.jpg

EDIT: got rid of direct image link to weather.com.. wasn't sure if it was appropriate :)

SpectroMan

Bonnie will probably not bother central Florida, but it will hamper trying to get to Orlando. Charley is the one that will be interesting.

Maria

Oh no! There are hobie cat and windsurf regattas this weekend here and I don´t want them to be cancelled! :(

Kopp8699

A bit off topic but I hate the naming system for hurricanes and tropical storms. It should be Bonnie and Clyde.... that'd make it sound better lol.

Punkss

Bonnie Prince Charlie(ey?) was a Scottish Prince who tried to overthrow British rule of Scotland.

Thats probably what they are named after

Punkss

I don't think so, i know nothing about meterology and merely learn't about Bonnie Prince Charlie at school.

If you don't have anything constuctive to say don't bother posting.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm a bit concerned, as my daughter has an AM flight on Friday, which is when Bonnie is projected to hit my area. She had originally planned on leaving tomorrow, but decided to only overnight in DC. Fortunately, her flight to India doesn't leave until Sat afternoon, so she can handle delays out of JAX.

rainfully

yeah... this is just in time to ruin my last couple days of vacation!!

sunny florida hasn't been quite so sunny since i've been here...

HinunterZuNich

This really stinks, I leave tommorow at 8am for a trip to WDW (Thursday-Tuesday). This news is exactly what I didn't want to hear, I hope my trip still goes good. Maybe this will keep the crowds away? We didnt plan on going to the waterparks anyway, in the past when hurricanes have come close do people still go to the parks? (well I assume but I need make myself get positive lol)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
HinunterZuNich said:
This really stinks, I leave tommorow at 8am for a trip to WDW (Thursday-Tuesday). This news is exactly what I didn't want to hear, I hope my trip still goes good. Maybe this will keep the crowds away? We didnt plan on going to the waterparks anyway, in the past when hurricanes have come close do people still go to the parks? (well I assume but I need make myself get positive lol)

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you but it doesn't look like the best timing. Probably the hardest thing will be your flights in an out however. Bonnie doesn't look like a problem now, Charlie will probably be some rain and wind, but my guess is it will be in and out in 3-4 hours. Just bring your poncho and an extra pair of shoes (so you have dry ones). and you should be fine. The only things that would really be impacted would be the outdoor shows, parades, Fantasmic.

You're right, it will probably do a good job of reducing crowds. Enjoy in either case. You will probably have the worst time coming home as Bonnie will probably have a greater impact on the Delaware valley on Friday than it does in Florida, and Charlie looks to be due on Sunday.

I'm leaving Saturday for Disney! I hope my trip isn't going to be screwed up by this! Boo's Mom

I think you've lucked out as both storms should be gone from Fla. by Friday, so hopefully everything should be refreshed and clear for your visit. Post hurricanes/trop. storms often provide some of the prettiest weather and lowest humidity (for Fla.).

donsullivan

Premium Member
The weather reports right now are predicting that Charley will pass over Orlando on Friday. They are also predicing that it will be nearly at South Carolina by Saturday so it doesn't look like more than one day lost to the weather. Assuming it doesn't intensify much from what it is now it's likely to just be a really rainy day on Friday.

Latest forecast map

http://www.wftv.com/weather/3633936/detail.html

HinunterZuNich

Well thanks to all who have posted after me. It's good to hear from people who seem to have knowledge, any positives at this point make me feel better lol. Our flight tommorow leaves at 8am from LaGuardia and arrives around 10:50am at Orlando International. Our flight home leaves 8:10am arrive a little after 11am on Tuesday.

Also I LOVE (sarcasm) how each of the weather sites lists pretty different outlooks (weather.com / accuweather.com / wunderground.com). One minute I'm like oh yea looks good, I visti another site and I'm oh no this stinks.

HinunterZuNich

Come on Charlie, be a good friend and take this course COURSE B

I really wish Friday wouldn't be the day that was rained out beacuse that's the LAST E RIGHT NIGHT for a few months :( It would have been nice to do it on our first day in the parks. It's not the end of the world though, it would still be fun to do.

nikimsu2002

HinunterZuNich said:

Me too! Except we're leaving Monday afternoon. So far it looks like the only really bad day will be Friday. :crosses fingers:

disneymoc

OK This may be a stupid question, but ...

With the projected paths for both storms being so large, is there a chance these things can run into each other. Is something like that even possible and if it was, what would happen when they did?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom