Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley

Tim G

Doppler Update (Blow-Up)

Charley Gets Closer And Closer To Walt Disney World

(75 miles of Orlando)

* Radar Image Deleted To Clear Space *

If anyone Is interested in these Images, please PM me...

Tim G

Doppler Update

Hurricane Charley On Disney's Doorstep!

I'ts Going Down Guys!!!

* Radar Image Deleted To Clear Space *

Kwit35

Corrus said:
Doppler Update

Hurricane Charley On Disney's Doorstep!

I'ts Going Down Guys!!!

2055radard4_loop_15-640x480-med.gif
AHHHH! Stay Safe!

GoCamels

Strongest portion crossing property between 8:30 & 9p EDT...

Looking at latest radar...http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml

The right front quadrant, which is always the most powerful, is appearing to squarely cross property in the next half hour.

As we say here on whats become the Hurricane Coast...Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I've survived Alex, Isabel, Bonnie 99, Floyd, Fran, Bertha and more than I care to remember...and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

Tim G

Hurricane Charley Pounds Walt Disney World!

This Is It Guys, Buckle Up!
My Thoughts And Prayers Go Out To All Of You.

* Radar Images Deleted To Clear Space *

TimeTrip

Original Poster
I've never seen anything like this in my life. The sky is lighting up cyan, amber and red. There was one flash that was one second of cyan, then one second of amber, then 5 seconds of cyan again. AMAZING stuff.. the winds are getting really bad.. about 50 mph or so.

EDIT: 9:47 pm, now my power is out.. running on UPS.

Journey

GoCamels said:
Looking at latest radar...http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/latest/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml

The right front quadrant, which is always the most powerful, is appearing to squarely cross property in the next half hour.

As we say here on whats become the Hurricane Coast...Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I've survived Alex, Isabel, Bonnie 99, Floyd, Fran, Bertha and more than I care to remember...and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.
Hi, How small is this world! I'm right down the road from you in Kill Devil Hills. See ya around on the board! :wave:

It looks like He is going to run right up the coast! It's going to push ALOT of water up on us, I hope it weakens!

Has anyone heard anything about WDW?

GoCamels

Hi neighbor (Journey)...just so you know, you can catch me on the radio here...The All New Mix 96 (96.7 FM) and AM 1240 WCNC/AM 1260 WZBO...on Mix 10-2 Monday thru Friday and the AM 7a-9a Mon-Fri.

Im at the station right now BTW, preparing for the fun on Saturday. Talk to you on the radio.

TURKEY

I survived.

I was ready to report to work at 3 after the first band passed, but they didn't want anyone else coming in, even though I was on the rideout crew.

Power at my apt (about 5-10 miles from AK) depending on your path, went out about 9 pm and came back on just before 6 am.

I got lucky the eye went just east of here. I went out after the eye had moved on up closer to downtown Orlando and it appears my car is safe and not too much damage here at the apt complex except some limbs (nothing major). As it becomes more light out, I'll be headed out to take a better look at the complex.

Woody13

TURKEY said:
I survived.

I was ready to report to work at 3 after the first band passed, but they didn't want anyone else coming in, even though I was on the rideout crew.

Power at my apt (about 5-10 miles from AK) depending on your path, went out about 9 pm and came back on just before 6 am.

I got lucky the eye went just east of here. I went out after the eye had moved on up closer to downtown Orlando and it appears my car is safe and not too much damage here at the apt complex except some limbs (nothing major). As it becomes more light out, I'll be headed out to take a better look at the complex.
Good to hear that you only had minor damage (although 9 hours without power is no picnic). I hope everyone else down your way was just as fortunate!:wave: Thanks for the update.

nikimsu2002

I was at WDW when the storm hit. The parks were open from 8-1 ONLY to those staying on-site. Lines were nice and short, not just that day, but all weekend. The only line we waited in all weekend was for Jungle Cruise. After they closed the parks on Friday, we went back to our hotel (Beach Club) and spent the rest of the day/night there. They sold box lunches and then at dinner they were allowing you to go through the buffet at Cape May Cafe once for $20 and avoid the 2 1/2 hour wait to sit in the restaurant and get the same food. They also brought out Mickey, Chip, Dale, and Stitch to entertain the guests. Around 8:00, when the worst of the storm was approaching, they sent everyone back to their rooms. We just went back to our room and watched TV the rest of the night. The majority of the storm was over by 11:00 or so.

My grandparents have a place in Venice and aren't too far from where Punta Gorda. They live in a trailer park right along a river and surprisingly the river didn't flood and there was absolutely no damage done to their property. They were really lucky considering that just a few miles up the road an entire town was pretty much destroyed.

Poncho1973

BwanaBob said:
I'm suprised more of us locals haven't chimed in yet to give you the real scoop....

In 25 yrs here in FL, the things I can assure you (and others will speak for me)...

A) Storm is 'most' intense from dead center to approx 30-40 miles in either direction...all others will experience wind gusts. (nothing to write home about)

B) Catagories 2 and under seem to drastically diminish within 2-4 hrs of being over land masses (fact) because storms need warm waters (80deg. +) to continue growth.

C) Biggest problems with any storm is not the winds and rain... It's the storm surge coupled with tides (this is what us locals...on the coasts...are most concerned about) All Northern Hem storms spin counter-clockwise. Here on the coast, we watch to see what side of the storm we are on to see where the winds will PUSH water and surge into the land, making it even worse.

Disney is perfectly situated in the state. High winds? sure. SUSTAINED winds of 70mph +? No way. It would have to be a cat 3+ for disney to think twice (as history has shown).

BTW... we're planning on having our usual Hurricane BBQ/parties here along the west central coast :D Come on over to Clearwater/St. Petersburg to join in the fun tomorrow!

Sorry to bump a VERY VERY VERY old thread... but I was looking for something else and came across this post.

BOB... this is coming from someone who got SMACKED with not just Charley, but Frances and Jeanne and CAME TOO CLOSE to Ivan for comfort... I hope you realize that just b/c something hasn't happened in your lifetime... that doesn't mean it can't happen at all.

Too many old-time Floridians didn't believe... they do now.

BwanaBob

Poncho1973 said:
Sorry to bump a VERY VERY VERY old thread... but I was looking for something else and came across this post.

BOB... this is coming from someone who got SMACKED with not just Charley, but Frances and Jeanne and CAME TOO CLOSE to Ivan for comfort... I hope you realize that just b/c something hasn't happened in your lifetime... that doesn't mean it can't happen at all.

Too many old-time Floridians didn't believe... they do now.
...if you look at the thread, it says Tropical Storms Bonnie and Charley, so this was before it all got ugly. (storms increased in size and changed in directions...which would prove my statement insignificant...)

Second, if you read the prior posts, everyone seemed very concerned about WDW... living on the coast vs. inland, I was merely stating fact that the majority of locals know.

My information, although seemingly shallow, is correct. Media makes large ordeals about stuff that Floridians see everyday during the summer months when the afternoon monsters come rolling over us.

The information is substantiated; I just apologize if I seemed a little too crass about it all. Again, it was a concern about WDW... our/your concerns are legit... just not w/ a CAT 1 and being 50-60 miles inland and on the bottom- left of circulation.

Poncho1973

That's cool Bob. I just heard it over and over and over from long-time locals. "WDW and Orlando are too far inland. Storms die long before they ever reach us. Hurricanes don't hit Orlando b/c of our perfect spot in the state. You really only have to worry if you're on the coast."

Granted, it doesn't seem to happen often... but hopefully next time any storms head this way... those "natives" will be a little more open-minded to people who take the time to take action.

On a more positive note... I didn't go nuts or overboard, but I was prepared. When the first storm really turned our way, I boarded up, got the supplies ready and really did my best to ride it out safely and in a prepared fashion. Thankfully, through ALL THREE storms I had no structural damage. I had one slightly leaky bedroom wall in Frances (20+ hours of driving rain and high winds and I got a half dollar sized wet spot around the window frame) which was easily repaired.

Hope you came through ok.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom