News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

Well I saw the hole for tron today on a detour past the roundhouse to the GF...that makes me feel better at least.

The parks are absolutely screwed with crowds/ride capacity barring a recession...the only way to get anything close to a comfortable equilibrium is to knock out 25% of the clientele for 5+ years.

You can still have fun...but wdw is sliding down the slope to a no value experience if it gets worse.
To be fair, you’re basing this assessment on Easter week.

SoupBone

I like the front half :) lol but yes, the park is in dire need. Star Wars and Toy Story Land should not have been the only answers. Nor should Mickey replacing another dark ride. They don't seem to "get it". They shouldn't have stopped with Toy Story Mania in 2008. That's when they should have expanded into the back and given us Toy Story Land. They really made a mistake putting Star Wars where they are (it should have expanded into the parking lot behind Star Tours, leaving the pad next to it for my dream of an Indy boat ride). How they could screw this up, I don't know.

They should have kept the courtyard where you used to enter the Backlot Tour along with the streets and the premiere theater.

A few dark rides over the years, like Roger and Muppets, would have gone a long way in the grand scheme of things.

Everything's reactionary and quick. Where's the long-term plan for these parks? The other Disney parks get 5 year plans released to the public and we get things shoved anywhere and everywhere.

This park frustrates me the most because it could have been SO much more than it is. Not saying Star Wars, Mickey, won't be great but I mean ... that's not going to solve problems. It's going to create problems. There STILL won't be enough in the parks when these new rides launch (which I know sounds insane but it's true; just like the MK needs some more high capacity things to soak up the crowds -- but the problem remains that anything new will draw more people, no matter what it is, so they're almost always going to have this problem which is why resting on your laurels for nearly 20 years isn't the smartest idea). Toy Story Land is going to be a nightmare. Rides that are fine, but shouldn't be MAIN draws, will be treated as such and have insane wait times.

What am I missing here? What dark ride is being replaced?

MUTZIE77

To be fair, you’re basing this assessment on Easter week.
I was at WDW the first week of February and the crowds at MK were absolutely bonkers. Takes all of the fun out of it for us. I would say when HM hits 80 min too me that's nuts. DHS was nuts too, but mostly because everyone is there for a handful of rides. DHS is in trouble even after Star Wars opens. I am really hoping that with all of the new attractions at the other parks it will help reduce the crowds at MK.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I was at WDW the first week of February and the crowds at MK were absolutely bonkers. Takes all of the fun out of it for us. I would say when HM hits 80 min too me that's nuts. DHS was nuts too, but mostly because everyone is there for a handful of rides. DHS is in trouble even after Star Wars opens. I am really hoping that with all of the new attractions at the other parks it will help reduce the crowds at MK.
Looking at historic crowd levels/wait times, it looks like Jan/Feb were absolutely nuts for some reason, but late Feb to mid March was manegable. Then obviously Spring Break/Easter kicked in... Makes you wonder what happened in Jan/Feb...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Looking at historic crowd levels/wait times, it looks like Jan/Feb were absolutely nuts for some reason, but late Feb to mid March was manegable. Then obviously Spring Break/Easter kicked in... Makes you wonder what happened in Jan/Feb...
I was there in mid January and it was nuts. The tour groups were everywhere, that has to be a big part of it.

tirian

Oh, I don't think they should have kept the backlot tour. The original was great. I don't miss what it became, sorry (though not really sorry because it was time for it to go; probably an unpopular opinion but oh well). I just thought they should have kept that area where they had the water effects before boarding the tram because it was a lot of space that could have held food options and likely a ride or two. It was a lot of space they got rid of.

I think some of the concerns are valid, but some sound like you're just tired of some of the experiences, not that they're necessarily dated or bad (IMO; the Indy stunt show is repeatable for me but I think the director aspect has to go - though I'd prefer a ride, obviously); Star Tours is great with the varied scenes and the updates it's received but I understand being tired of it; I'm all for a re-theme when Star Wars Land opens, though many want to cling to it). But getting tired of the same old likely comes from the fact that there's been nothing significantly new in ten years. They need to keep things fresh. Shows should not be running 20 years later.

I don't care either way for TSMM. I know people love it. That's fine. It's nice enough but I think they could have done something different and personally better for Toy Story. For DCA and the pier, midway games works for me. I'm not overly competitive either so I guess that plays a factor. The shooting at things aspect of it is what makes it repeatable. I'd personally take a dated dusty Buzz over it, lol. But we all have our own personal preferences.

I'm with you on RnRC but be prepared to be told it shouldn't be touched, for whatever reason. One of those is the park needs expansion. Well, yes, the park needs ADDED things but that doesn't mean other things don't also need to be replaced. Personally, RNRC felt like a knee-jerk reaction to get a coaster into the park. It's never been my favorite. But I know people love it because ZOMG IT'S A COASTER! :joyfull:

SO MUCH needs to be done.
For years, I’ve thought RNRC could be rethemed to a “Who Frames Roger Rabbit” race to a new cartoon premiere. Connect the area to the Animation Courtyard and retheme the whole area to properly connect and tie into 1940s Hollywood.

Kman101

For years, I’ve thought RNRC could be rethemed to a “Who Frames Roger Rabbit” race to a new cartoon premiere. Connect the area to the Animation Courtyard and retheme the whole area to properly connect and tie into 1940s Hollywood.

So many of us who post on these boards could run the parks better. I think that's a great idea.

I've long thought MGM should have received the full Toontown with Roger Rabbit's dark ride. They really failed that park over the years with so few additions.

Connect the coaster to a Toontown behind Sunset and link it all to Animation Courtyard. Where the Mickey ride should have gone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If you follow along...there’s always some “reason” why the parks are bogged down and become 3 fastpass only days...

It’s always “but this...” and “it’s unusually that” and “I don’t know what’s going on there...”

At some point...the Abnormal is just normal.

They committed a critical mistake in sitting and doing nothing from 2000-2010 (more or less)...they had two fully underbuilt parks and hemmed and hawed over what to do with Epcot...deciding on nothing at all. No new capacity.

That mistake is magnified by the need for parks to pick up stock and increase raw numbers to do so...watch it play

PorterRedkey

I love Roger, but I would be worried that parents would think it was a family ride.

I had a family in line behind us for RnR Coaster. I heard the mother say something like "I don't think it goes upside down - it's Disney".
I saw they had 2 smaller kids, so I warned the mother that it did go upside down 3 times and I gave her a brief description of the ride. I don't think she really believed me.

After the ride, we saw the boy in the RnR shop and asked him if he had fun. He was quiet, looked up at us on the verge of tears and just shook his head no. Poor little guy.

However, I absolutely agree that there should be an easier way to get to the Animation Ctyd, from Sunset.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom