News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why? Why remove a charming section of the park when they have plenty of other options? It has a purpose. It sets the scene. The show. The atmosphere. And swallows plenty of people.

RoA and TSI are 12 acres. The boat holds 450 people. And what, about the same for the island?

That's 12 acres for 900 people. I wouldn't consider that 'plenty of people' when you consider the acreage.

It's demise would open up that whole NW expansion area, which, with the right weenie and facing the right direction could be a second viewing spot for the fireworks and night time shows alleviating the crush in the hub (same with the spot north of TRON).

But, they're spending a lot of money to refurbish the steamboat, so, it's pretty much moot.

ToTBellHop

RoA and TSI are 12 acres. The boat holds 450 people. And what, about the same for the island?

That's 12 acres for 900 people. I wouldn't consider that 'plenty of people' when you consider the acreage.

It's demise would open up that whole NW expansion area, which, with the right weenie and facing the right direction could be a second viewing spot for the fireworks and night time shows alleviating the crush in the hub (same with the spot north of TRON).

But, they're spending a lot of money to refurbish the steamboat, so, it's pretty much moot.
What good is the "blessing of size" if you don't use it?

10 years ago, that could have been on my Match.com profile...

#blessed

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Sometimes you have to think beyond the spreadsheets. More so since the shoreline is not an expansion area.

matt9112

Everest has been pretty short for a while it seems (when I'm there, it always seems like a tops of 20 minutes). Space/Splash/Thunder are almost always an hour or more when I go. I usually switch it up too so I'm not going the same month every year. You must honestly time it extremely well. When are you going next? I'd like a good luck charm for the lines.

rope drop splash and thunder you can get a few rides from each before the masses.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The bold is key. They won't spend the money. LOL. And for once I'm glad on that. Not in denial it may never ever happen but there are PLENTY of areas before they should even think of looking at TSI. Or the Treehouse.
Even if TSI as we know it went bye bye (thankfully those plans were sent back to the cubicle they came from) development wouldn’t have gone north.

erikjp

Sorry for the late question, I have been reading a bit back but haven't found any answers, are Carousel of Progress and Tomorrowland Speedway being demolished?

And it kinda coincides with the latest discussion on the West side vs. East side, but in my opinion the west side is much more coherently built and better themed, I just think people overall like the eastern themes more as a concept, even if they are less well developed. Fantasyland looks great now but tomorrowland has huge tracts of empty space. I remember the last time I was there walking around and being confused as to why there were just empty plaza areas in a place as packed as Magic Kingdom.

I'm hoping this Tron coaster leads to a resurgence in that area of the park to balance things out a bit more. And hopefully there will be replacements for Carousel of Progress and Tomorrowland Speedway in the near future (if they aren't already being replaced now).

Kman101

EDIT: Forgot to quote you @erikjp

Neither is going anywhere, that we know of, currently. 10 years from now? Who knows ;)

But the Speedway is likely to be included with TRON and given a makeover. Our insiders have said as such (I don't believe Disney has officially confimed the Speedway makeover, maybe a throwaway line). Now of course it needs to actually happen so we'll see ...

I believe Carousel will get some updating, but it keeps getting pushed off.

@MisterPenguin has a fantastic thread you can check out:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-timeline-tracker-v-2.934137/unread

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The bold is key. They won't spend the money. LOL. And for once I'm glad on that. Not in denial it may never ever happen but there are PLENTY of areas before they should even think of looking at TSI. Or the Treehouse.

I totally agree that DHS needs three more 'lands' and DAK needs two new ones and a revamping of DinoRama and Epcot needs Future World fixed all before MK needs a new land.

However... with pressure from Universal and MK's every growing attendance... plopping a few attractions on the few easy to access pads isn't a long-term solution. MK is going to need hub-level open spaces which aren't 80% water and a solution to "let's get everybody in the park to jam together in the hub all at one time!", especially if attendance keeps going up and up and up.

A 2,000 seater theater with a nighttime show at the same time of the fireworks would have been a good start... :banghead:

Kman101

I'm with you that they need to truly expand more. They should have been expanding while they were sitting dormant. They're hurting now and still don't totally want to admit it because it means they have to spend money.

The theater was a great idea and it's a shame they cut it. We need more of those kind of ideas.

DHS would have benefitted years ago from a Toontown with Roger Rabbit. They should have added the Muppets dark ride. They can still add Toy Story Land if they so insist. Then they should have added Cars Land where the Motors show and Catastrophe Canyon was. Monsters Inc. Door Coaster where the former Backlot Tour entrance was ... it writes itself and it would have been natural fits.

Then you add Star Wars Land to the land behind Star Tours and Indy and actually expand the park. You have now created draws EVERYWHERE with more to do. And then you add an Indy boat ride BEHIND the stunt show.

They should have replaced the Mermaid show with the Frozen sing-along instead of putting it in the Hyperion. Put a new production in there. Update or replace Beauty and the Beast.

Keep the Premiere Theater and the Streets of America, so you know, you have places and options and room ...

Add the Mickey ride on the Animation plot. Move the Disney Junior show (should have gone into Sounds Dangerous a long time ago) and put in an Animator's Palate-inspired restaurant.

Update the Great Movie Ride. Or, and I know this will still upset people but if they hated the ride so much, they could have put the Muppets in there as a nod to what was. Not the best scenario but I'm trying to compromise ... but in my ideal world, GMR stays and some scenes are updated.

I personally think DHS has the most wasted use of space and I think they've neglected to do enough over the years. And I think they boxed themselves in with putting Star Wars where they did. There was a lot of room that they got rid of.

Anyway .... YMMV on some ideas, of course ...

crxbrett

Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are easily the most popular lands of the park. For a few reasons (some of which are just my speculation):

1. Little kids really appreciate fantasyland and the speedway as well as Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin
2. That side of the park is simply larger in size
3. The Western half has not had a new attraction since Splash Mountain.. TWENTY SIX YEARS AGO (I'm not counting the Magic Carpets...)
4. Ever notice that only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open for extra magic hours? Or that the Western side of Magic Kingdom gets VERY quiet at night time? I asked a cast member about that and its due to the lighting in the park. The Western side of Magic Kingdom is not as well lit as the Eastern side and therefore many guest surveys have shown some dissatisfaction with the Western side of Magic Kingdom in the evening.

I seriously believe that Adventureland needs a new addition (an E ticket one) as it has not received one since Pirates of the Caribbean... two years after the park opened. And it shouldn't be at the expense of an existing attraction. But as of now, Disney seems to be doing Tron. Once Tron opens, I'm sure SOMETHING, whatever it may be, is in store for the western half of the park.

Yea this post got slightly off topic but.. ya know.

Oh, I wasn't disputing what side is more popular with the masses. I just personally prefer the western side of the park a lot more. What I was saying was that the western side of the MK is definitely heavier with E-tickets than the other side. You have Pirates, Splash, Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion on that side while the Eastern side only has Space Mtn and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train now. It's definitely unbalanced. So I was saying adding TRON gives that side of the park more balance with another 'E'.

Funny you mentioned the western side being darker and quieter, I think that is a big reason I love that side of the park much more at night. Way more relaxing and peaceful. Especially since that stupid stage outside of Space Mtn and CoP blares obnoxious music with a DJ constantly now.

Stripes

Why? Why remove a charming section of the park when they have plenty of other options? It has a purpose. It sets the scene. The show. The atmosphere. And swallows plenty of people.

Treehouse footprint is negligible.
Just curious, what options do they have at MK?

The space behind Pirates and Splash looks solid, but nothing else is sticking out to me.

Edit:never mind, found an earlier post of yours :)

rle4lunch

I'm with you that they need to truly expand more. They should have been expanding while they were sitting dormant. They're hurting now and still don't totally want to admit it because it means they have to spend money.

The theater was a great idea and it's a shame they cut it. We need more of those kind of ideas.

DHS would have benefitted years ago from a Toontown with Roger Rabbit. They should have added the Muppets dark ride. They can still add Toy Story Land if they so insist. Then they should have added Cars Land where the Motors show and Catastrophe Canyon was. Monsters Inc. Door Coaster where the former Backlot Tour entrance was ... it writes itself and it would have been natural fits.

Then you add Star Wars Land to the land behind Star Tours and Indy and actually expand the park. You have now created draws EVERYWHERE with more to do. And then you add an Indy boat ride BEHIND the stunt show.

They should have replaced the Mermaid show with the Frozen sing-along instead of putting it in the Hyperion. Put a new production in there. Update or replace Beauty and the Beast.

Keep the Premiere Theater and the Streets of America, so you know, you have places and options and room ...

Add the Mickey ride on the Animation plot. Move the Disney Junior show (should have gone into Sounds Dangerous a long time ago) and put in an Animator's Palate-inspired restaurant.

Update the Great Movie Ride. Or, and I know this will still upset people but if they hated the ride so much, they could have put the Muppets in there as a nod to what was. Not the best scenario but I'm trying to compromise ... but in my ideal world, GMR stays and some scenes are updated.

I personally think DHS has the most wasted use of space and I think they've neglected to do enough over the years. And I think they boxed themselves in with putting Star Wars where they did. There was a lot of room that they got rid of.

Anyway .... YMMV on some ideas, of course ...

Everytime we've gone to Disney in the last 10 years our visits to dhs seem almost depressing.

Everything is so out of whack there. The park rides and shows are aging badly, the new stuff they've added seem to have been done on the fly and half-a$$ed, and there is zero connective tissue or flow to the park in general.

They're remedying it, but more has to be done. Indy needs to be blown up, rnrc needs SOMETHING, anything, done to retheme it. ToT just needs a little love. It's sad that in those last 15 words I named 2/3 of the things to do in dhs.

Man that park sucks in its current form.

EricsBiscuit

Here's from yesterday. Again, sorry for quality, I was on a train. There are huge mounds of dirt on the construction site. It seems to be moving along quickly.
IMG_5508.JPG
IMG_5509.JPG
IMG_5510.JPG
IMG_5512.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom